‘We’re going down’: Southwest Airlines pilot’s in-flight message reportedly causes panic

Harry

post-5097-0-09850200-1384524905_thumb.jpg
Thousands of feet above the ground, the passengers onboard Southwest Airlines Flight 3426 scrambled to text their loved ones when a pilot came onto the public intercom and allegedly stated, “We’re going down.” The announcement came as the Boeing 737 carrying 96 passengers and five crew members from Tampa Bay prepared to land at Raleigh-Durham International Airport on Tuesday afternoon. Southwest Airlines later told the Daily News that the pilot was alerting flight attendants to a “pressurization issue” that required an “unplanned but controlled descent to a lower altitude.” But passenger Grace Stroud said she spent 10 entire minutes “100% convinced” that she was going to die. “I heard what sounded like static,” Stroud told The News from her home in Raleigh, N.C. “Then two quick, shrill sounds shot through and a few seconds later we heard the captain say, ‘We’re in trouble, we’re going down.’”

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-09850200-1384524905_thumb.jpg

Overreaction on the passengers part. Arguably one that's justified though in any event it's in the best interest of everyone to remain calm.

I mean shit, I'd hate to go down in a frantic environment. If it's going to happen it's going to happen.

I haven't flown in ten years but the feeling of lifting off into the sky, while nice and all, is still pretty scary. Not to mention the insane turbulence you may encounter at 35-40k feet in the air. Seeing the cloud barrier below you does help a bit in keeping your eyes off the ground (or sea) but to hear that kind of announcement I'd be crapping bricks

Archived