Empire Corridor High Speed Rail Service

Harry

I propose electrifying the line by overhead wires to at least Albany and use ALP-45DMs to bridge the entire Empire Corridor. Also when NJ Transit opens the ARC, we could have Metro-North M8s run from Penn Station to Poughkeepsie. And keep the third rail for M7s to Grand Central. It would get the Push-Pulls of the line and put them in more service on the Harlem and New Haven Line.

Problem: Electrification with 3rd rail has an 80mph speed limit. They would have to catenary all the way from NYP to Poughkeepsie, in addition to any new trackage.

Too cost-prohibitive.

The turbo trains & the jet train & turboliners etc don't need 3rd rail, simply use batteries in NYP, or a NYP only pantograph. Also, eventually we will need to put wires up, diesel tech is good, but it just isn't suited to this use.

- A

Not at all, but it is an issue with trackage. yes, MNCR trackspeed is 75-80 and is capable of sustaining higher speeds but remeber the conjestion from local trains and freight. as far as 3rd rail is concerned, both amtrak and MTA dual modes only use it when going into tunnels and M.U.'s usually max out at 80 anyway. In all, highspeed can only be done north of Poughkeepsie where speeds are 90-110.

It's the equipment & current collection that limit speeds, not the tracks, the tracks are rated to 110 all the way to albany if memory serves, with 75 or so up to montreal. I believe the speed limit of the east west leg of the corridor is 75 or 80.

- A

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm going to retract my last post, HSR can be achieved along metro north property just as long at they are willing to go along with it and make the needed track improvements. Amtrak and Metro North does have the equipment to do it without the use of overhead Catenary I mean come on now, not every east coast route has to be an NEC and its a waste of money and time to do so. I think that with the stimulus money that Amtrak is getting, use what they can and get those RTLs back up and running.

You make a HST run on Dual Electric power , the EuroStar runs on Third Rail and Catenary. In Britain they have HST that are diesel and go 140mph. I think in 20 years we will have a dense network of HSL diesel and electric criss crossing the Northeast , Midwest & Eastern Canada. & 70% of the Rail network restored to 1950s levels.B)

You make a HST run on Dual Electric power , the EuroStar runs on Third Rail and Catenary. In Britain they have HST that are diesel and go 140mph. I think in 20 years we will have a dense network of HSL diesel and electric criss crossing the Northeast , Midwest & Eastern Canada. & 70% of the Rail network restored to 1950s levels.:)

Dont count on eastern Canada as there have been plans for Hi Speed rail line for the Windsor to Quebec City since the 1970's and still nothing done

For Windsor-Detroit area, it won't see some development for quite a while but I am feeling Toronto-Montreal corridor might see HSRL within 20 years because there are joint projects with USA for Montreal, and Toronto could be an extension for the Albany-Buffalo High Speed Corridor or run a separate HSRL thru North Jersey bassing by Scranton, PA and Binghamton, NY. Maybe it'll work...

You have a fat chance with Canada jumping on board with this anytime soon

Archived