Harmon Shop Open House!

MTAGUY311

Hmmmm.....if I just happen to miss my bus when I step out the door that morning, and have to take teh HBLR, I'll probably go to Hoboken Terminal, take a Pascack Valley Line train to Spring Valley, then the TappanZEExpress to Tarrytown MNRR, then the train to Croton-Harmon! w00 h00!1!

Hmmmm.....if I just happen to miss my bus when I step out the door that morning, and have to take teh HBLR, I'll probably go to Hoboken Terminal, take a Pascack Valley Line train to Spring Valley, then the TappanZEExpress to Tarrytown MNRR, then the train to Croton-Harmon! w00 h00!1!

That bridge is freaky! ;)

- Andy

Nice, then for the return trip add MN southbound, NY Subway and PATH and you've got a nice full featured around-the-horn trip :)

I've taken both the Local and Express Trains to Croton Harmon. Both are pleasant rides along the scenic Hudson Lines. The local is emptier and takes longer than the Express by a mere 17 minutes.

I have marked the day on my calendar. As of now, I am planning to attend for a short while and then do some railfanning at certain locations along the line.

I'd take the Local since the Express that I took last year got me up there so early that I was the 1st person on line for the Cheese Bus Shuttle. Also had to stand waiting in 1 spot for over an hour. I simply refuse to take the so called Foamer Express.

This year, I plan to do things differently. I'm going to refuse riding the Fall Foliage. Been there...done that. It's far too crowded and takes up too much time just to enter and exit if you ask me. Chasing it for videos/photos? Absolutely!

I have an itinerary because this will be my 6th Open House and it is generally geared for the very young. It's fairly the same stuff every year...for the exception of the BL20GHs. I also want to get the older stuff while I still can.

Thanks for the reminder, I haven't been there in 3 years, hopefully it's gotten better since then. I think that I'm going to go this year, and I might take Amtrak up there just for the heck of it.

I'd take amtrak up & MNRR back! :D

- (A)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hm, this seems interesting. I've never been to the open house before (never even rode Metro-North, hah). What's a good time to leave GCT?

It depends on the train that's departing Grand Central Terminal. You can take the Croton-Harmon local or the Poughkeepsie express to Croton-Harmon on the Hudson Line

You can get there early or late but not to late when its about to finish

Archived