Orion IX Articulated Discussion

East New York

So there is a new bus on the drawing board at Daimler Commercial Buses. It's called the Orion X Artic, and it is Orion's response to New Flyer; who for the last decade has dominated the articulated bus market. Although it is still in the begining stages, the bus will most likey be a cross between the Orion VII NG, and the Benz Citaro. MTA will be working closely with Orion during the entire developmental process. Acoording to current plans, the bus will be unvailed to the public in the third quarter of 2009, and Orion hopes to have a demo produced for testing in the third quarter of 2010. For the first time ever, New Flyer may have "real" competition.

Shame I wasn't able to get to the Citaro that was just here to see how its like and then make comparisons with Orion X when it arrives.

And its about time Daimler got into the artic business.

Yeah, they are long overdue. I didn't get a chance to catch it either.

The Orion X is probably going to be a Citaro with an Orion VII NG front and rear. Thats enough development :rolleyes:. But really, this should be interesting.

I wouldn't doubt it at all. This will definitely be interesting.

• 2 months later...
I will like it to look like Orion VII NG, except the windows. I like framed windows but unframed is okay. Low Floor might be a possibility and I really hope its a hybrid.

It will definitely be low floor as Orion's high floor days are numbered. That era will most likely die with the O5 which will end production by the end of next year.

It will definitely be low floor as Orion's high floor days are numbered. That era will most likely die with the O5 which will end production by the end of next year.

Awww...no more Orion V's:(. I just hope those LF Orion X's have a better interior than the Orion VII's LF's.

*Not to go off-topic ENY did you get my PM....I answered yours!!

We should probably stickify this thread as this topic heats up.

Orion V ending production? That will be a (kinda) sad day. Another American classic gone.

Now, about the Orion X... I have a feeling they will offer it in standard diesel as well, for those systems who either object to having hybrid buses or don't have the maintenance capabilities for one. And if it gets it's looks from the Orion VII NG, people might call it an Orion VII NG Artic...

• 1 year later...
So I started this thread a bit prematurely, but what the heck....

So from what I hear (as it stands now) the Orion X Artic will be introduced to the public in 2009, and will most likely get it's looks from the Orion VII NG. At this time it is unclear if the buses will be available with any propulsion system other than hybrid, as the bus is still in the design phase.

its 2010... where is it?!?!?!?

We should probably stickify this thread as this topic heats up.

Orion V ending production? That will be a (kinda) sad day. Another American classic gone.

Now, about the Orion X... I have a feeling they will offer it in standard diesel as well, for those systems who either object to having hybrid buses or don't have the maintenance capabilities for one. And if it gets it's looks from the Orion VII NG, people might call it an Orion VII NG Artic...

its 2010... where is it?!?!?!?

I'm going to talk to my homie at Orion today, so I'll likely have a long overdue update of everything going on up there. Stay tuned. I'll stick the thread when it's time for the actual launch of the OX, or at least somewhere near it.

INTERIOR LED NEXT STOP SIGNAGE!!

Thats what we need in artics these days, especially with people who dont know where the F*** they are going.

Nah, we need more exterior speakers so people can hear [if they can't read] what bus is going where. I still see people get on the wrong southbound B41 bus.

Nah, we need more exterior speakers so people can hear [if they can't read] what bus is going where. I still see people get on the wrong southbound B41 bus.

I agree!

This bus better be pretty damn good if it's taking this long.

I'm quite sure we will all be pleased!

Imagine a 60 foot NG. That would be my guess as to what it might look like.

It's the Citaro that Orion will be marketing and selling in North America...Unless plans have changed since 3 weeks ago when I last spoke to someone at Orion 3 weeks ago about it, which I highly doubt.

It's the Citaro that Orion will be marketing and selling in North America...Unless plans have changed since 3 weeks ago when I last spoke to someone at Orion 3 weeks ago about it, which I highly doubt.

I just meant as far as what it may resemble, but yes the Citaro platform is the best option. I like those buses a lot!

Archived