Orion IX Articulated Discussion

East New York

It's the Citaro that Orion will be marketing and selling in North America...Unless plans have changed since 3 weeks ago when I last spoke to someone at Orion 3 weeks ago about it, which I highly doubt.

It will not be fully based on the Citaro but it will be mostly on that design but redesigned for the North American market and also IIRC the plan to sell this model is like 2012-2013 time frame as Orion isnt gonna rush this new model

It will not be fully based on the Citaro but it will be mostly on that design but redesigned for the North American market and also IIRC the plan to sell this model is like 2012-2013 time frame as Orion isnt gonna rush this new model

It's the Citaro, with design modifications to meet NA standards...

And yes, they want to start bidding for contracts with it by 2013, with assembly starting sometime in 2014-2015.

It's the Citaro, with design modifications to meet NA standards...

And yes, they want to start bidding for contracts with it by 2013, with assembly starting sometime in 2014-2015.

Interesting, I wonder why the development for the OX would take so long since it's just a Citaro with modifications.

So there was the Orion I, II, III, V, VI, VII, and soon to be X. What happened to VIII and IX or even IV for that matter? Would they count the second generation Orion VII as the VIII and the 3rd NG as the IX?

I was wondering the exact same thing. What's up with that?

• 6 months later...

The Orion X Articulated model now has an official designation. It will in fact be the Orion VIII. All along, I was thinking it would be X as in Ten. But the X actually stood for an unnamed new project.

The program schedule is running about a 2 1/2 years behind the time line I was originally given.

As it stands the bus will have the underpinnings of a Citaro, and the signature styling of an Orion product. They hope to have the first demo built by late 2012, early 2013. The are planning to start accepting bids and orders in 2013, with initial entry into service in the late 2014 range.

Powertrain options have yet to be confirmed, yet hybrid is a definite.

We should probably stickify this thread as this topic heats up.

Orion V ending production? That will be a (kinda) sad day. Another American classic gone.

Now, about the Orion X... I have a feeling they will offer it in standard diesel as well, for those systems who either object to having hybrid buses or don't have the maintenance capabilities for one. And if it gets it's looks from the Orion VII NG, people might call it an Orion VII NG Artic...

Orion's Canadian, bro. The only American buses left in service are the RTS buses. Everything else (New Flyer, Nova, MCI) is Canadian, except for the DesignLines, as those are from New Zealand.

That fact that those four manufacturers are all Canadian are also the reason why Canadian TAs get the buses first, though the MTA has been dealing with them for a while.

ENY, is it true that the only buses the MTA bought brand new from Orion other than the O7s are the Orion Vs for Long Island Bus (including the Orion 5 diesel)?

Orion's Canadian, bro. The only American buses left in service are the RTS buses. Everything else (New Flyer, Nova, MCI) is Canadian, except for the DesignLines, as those are from New Zealand.

That fact that those four manufacturers are all Canadian are also the reason why Canadian TAs get the buses first, though the MTA has been dealing with them for a while.

ENY, is it true that the only buses the MTA bought brand new from Orion other than the O7s are the Orion Vs for Long Island Bus (including the Orion 5 diesel)?

No. I think the TA got all of the NYCT Orions brand new except for some of the Orion VI hybrids. IIRC, the 6000's were built for another TA and diverted to MTA, which still means they were purchased brand new. All Orion V's for LIB were purchased by Nassau County, and the LIB O7's were purchased by the MTA.

MCI's status is akward becuase there are more than one MCI. There is a canadian company, but it has an american twin brother. they are seperate, but owned by the same private groups.

Although MCI has been sold recently to a New York capital firm, and is now under new management, the companies are not seperate. They are just two divisions if you will. New Flyer has an American subsidiary as well.

It's like MaBSTOA, and NYCTA. Same company, with MaBSTOA being a subsidiary of NYCTA.

MCI Limited (canada) and MCI INC. (US) are legaly independant of one another, and are connected through thier ownership by MCI International. the better anology is LIRR vs. MNRR, seperate from each other but still part of the overal MTA organization.

Just Like New Flyer Industries (Canada) and New Flyer of America Inc. (USA), as well as Daimler Buses (Europe), and Daimler Buses North America.

There are hundreds of businesses set up like that solely for legal purposes, yet it's still the same company. Both MCI LTD. and MCI Inc. are wholly owned subsidiaries of Motor Coach Industries International Inc. Now an American company. Like OA is a wholly owned subsidiary of TA. OA was created for legal purposes. But the LIRR-MNR relationship is different. They are just divisions of MTA, and not subsidiaries.

The Orion X Articulated model now has an official designation. It will in fact be the Orion VIII. All along, I was thinking it would be X as in Ten. But the X actually stood for an unnamed new project.

The program schedule is running about a 2 1/2 years behind the time line I was originally given.

As it stands the bus will have the underpinnings of a Citaro, and the signature styling of an Orion product. They hope to have the first demo built by late 2012, early 2013. The are planning to start accepting bids and orders in 2013, with initial entry into service in the late 2014 range.

Powertrain options have yet to be confirmed, yet hybrid is a definite.

Guess this means they will not be able to compete with a TTC order in 2012 then if TTC still looks to order Artics and also Will miss most of the MTA order for new artics in the 2010-2014 orders

Guess this means they will not be able to compete with a TTC order in 2012 then if TTC still looks to order Artics and also Will miss most of the MTA order for new artics in the 2010-2014 orders

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the next 300-400 artics will be from Nova. We may not ever get any from Orion until the 2015-2019 range. But who knows. It's definitely too early to tell at this point.

• 3 months later...

Orion VIII, huh? As I posted earlier, I would love to see that on M14A, but I don't think that is going to happen as of the beginning of production in 2014 or so. But if MTA did order them, I think they will be placed on M86, M101, M102, and M103 (100th St Depot) first, as M101, M102, and M103 are the only radial routes in Manhattan besides M15 that use articulated buses.

Now if those are not going to be for BRT service, the center and rear doors should be the passenger-operated swing out doors.

Orion VIII, huh? As I posted earlier, I would love to see that on M14A, but I don't think that is going to happen as of the beginning of production in 2014 or so. But if MTA did order them, I think they will be placed on M86, M101, M102, and M103 (100th St Depot) first, as M101, M102, and M103 are the only radial routes in Manhattan besides M15 that use articulated buses.

Now if those are not going to be for BRT service, the center and rear doors should be the passenger-operated swing out doors.

I have a feeling we could see New Flyer XC60's before the O8 is even launched. The program is now 2 1/2 years behind schedule.

• 7 months later...

Archived