List Reinstatement Advice Please

apprentic3

I read on the forum that if called, you can "opt out" and be re-instated at a later date with your number at the top of the list when it is called. Is this true? If it is, how do you go about getting re-instated after you have been called with regards to which number to call or department to email and how often would your number be called before going they permanently remove you from the list. Reason I'm asking is because I have my exam date in December but I won't have my 3 years experience until October next year. I have my CDL A with all endors except Haz Mat. I really want to work for the MTA but I don't want to be disqualified as a result of a few months. Is there anyway that I can postpone my appointment or will I have enough time between now and then when they call me? If they do disqualify me, does this bar me from reapplying in the future?

On the notice of examination (http://www.mta.info/nyct/hr/archives/pdf/4600.pdf), it says on the top of page 2 that at the time of appointment, you must have 3 years of driving experience. I personally think you will have enough time. Here is why:

First of all, NYC Transit administered exam 2613 in January of 2013 (http://www.mta.info/nyct/hr/archives/pdf/2613.pdf). From what I read, according to http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/ (not 100% sure of which post), out of 30,000 people that took the exam, 3,621 passed. I took the exam, in which I got a final score of 87.50% and a list # of 271. To this date, I have not received a phone call for part 2 of my medical, which is followed by training, etc. Therefore, HR (human resources) has to first go through the list for 2613 before it can move on to the list for 4600.

Second, from my prior experience, providing you pass 4600, close to 6 months later you will be asked to take the BOSS (Bus Operator Selective Survey). In my opinion, close to 6 months after that minimum, they will start calling candidates from exam 4600 in list number. (Those that score higher get a lower list number and those that barely pass the exam with a 70, 71.25, 72.50, etc. get a very high list number). Therefore, since the exam is in December of 2013, and with the fact that NYC Transit has to finish up with exam 2613 first, my educated guess is that NYC Transit will start calling candidates from this exam in February or even March of 2015, the earliest.

Therefore, if I was you, don't worry about it. It's going to take them at least one year to call people from 4600, providing they pass the exam and BOSS. You should be fine.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for your detailed response, you have no idea how greatly I appreciate it because I didn't want to get myself disqualified and banned from any further exams or anything of that nature. My dad, his dad and so forth have driven for the MTA and other bus companies, there's always good n bad stories but the people that you meet become valuable life memories. I view it as more than a job despite the ups an downs and would really love to be a Bus Driver. Even as a consumer at the moment i enjoy taking the long bus rides exploring NYC. I hope that I do get approved and pass my exams, I just want to say thanks again I am extremely grateful

• 5 years later...