Metro-North passenger train derails in NYC

6 Lexington Ave

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I woke up this morning to my phone ringing off the hook asking if I was ok.  After the deluge of calls subsided, I turned on the TV to see for my self what's going on and instantly started yelling at the TV because it was obvious the talking heads didn't know what the heck they were talking about based on the images.  In short time I had to turn it off because I was getting sick to my stomich watching and listening to the nonsence.

The first order of business for prayers to go out to those involved. 

Second, we could speculate until the cows come home, it's best not to point fingers until the investigation is complete.

I believe after this any operator will try to make the best saying they applied the brakes, because of guilt.

Dispite what came about from the Cynical News Network, I find it hard to believe the engineer would be talking to the media whether there was negligence on his part or not.  Mind you I'm not saying it didn't happen, I just find it unlikely.

From @MTA:

"Family ctr set up at JFK HS in Bronx. Family can call (718) 817-7444 or (212) 639-9675 for info on status of relatives"

Shuttle bus service is being provided between White Plains and Tarrytown. Tickets will be cross honored at corresponding bus/ subway / Harlem Line stations for those traveling to/from Irvington & Yankees E-153rd.

Such a terrible occurrence. I have family from the Poughkeepsie area that was coming in to NYC this morning, so you can imagine the pit in my stomach when I turned on the news. Luckily they did not take that train and are all ok from what I've been told.

Whatever the cause, this actually makes me angry. There have been too many damn accidents and deaths on Metro North lately. I don't know what is going on, but right now I just feel a mix of relief that my personal family members where not injured, and anger for everyone else that has to suffer becuase of these accidents. 

Well, form what I'm getting, the Engineer was doing 75 on a 50mph curve.

It was actually an 30 mph curve according to the MTA. Maybe it's the weather We can't rule that out. It's just heart breaking that they will never go to work again on Monday.

The NTSB is already saying that (paraphrasing) the tracks did not appear to be fouled. I'm hoping it was a brake failure of some kind, even though I'm sure Metro-North is better than that by not knowingly sending a bad train out on the railroad.

This does not look good...

Well, form what I'm getting, the Engineer was doing 75 on a 50mph curve.

I don't know where your heard that. The MAS of the curve is 30MPH. That leaves what ever you hear questionable at best. As far as the actual speed of the train, unless your source was clocking it with a radar gun, there has been nothing released.

The NTSB is already saying that (paraphrasing) the tracks did not appear to be fouled. I'm hoping it was a brake failure of some kind, even though I'm sure Metro-North is better than that by not knowingly sending a bad train out on the railroad.

This does not look good...

I haven't read any reports of the train experiencing brake problems at any other station.

I hope the engineer wakes up handcuffed to his hospital bed.

Should he be at fault. Just be cause speed may have been a factor as reported doesn't mean the issue wasn't mechanical in nature.

Let the investigation take its course.

I haven't read any reports of the train experiencing brake problems at any other station.

I haven't heard reports there wasn't. The investigation is in very early stages. To this point the crew has yet to be interviewed by the NTSB. The black box will be the tell tale factor.

Should he be at fault. Just be cause speed may have been a factor as reported doesn't mean the issue wasn't mechanical in nature.

Let the investigation take its course.

I haven't heard reports there wasn't. The investigation is in very early stages. To this point the crew has yet to be interviewed by the NTSB. The black box will be the tell tale factor.

I'm sure the crew will be drug tested.

Your automobile is usually functioning well when you leave your home, yet we see loads of those poor saps on the side of the rode who experienced some sort of trouble enroute.

In general, I see lots of speculation here and not too many facts.

Well as a resident of Riverdale, today has been unnerving to say the least.  I've had helicopters flying right near my balcony all day today. I heard about the derailment, but didn't check out the details until I was ready to head to the city.  Let me say that this is a terrible incident for the commuters on Metro-North, along with the Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil communities.  Kappock Street is completely shutdown, as is Johnson Avenue leading to Spuyten Duyvil, so there is really no way to reach Spuyten Duyvil or for residents to get out.  The commute getting out of Riverdale was a mess this evening.  I am also pissed at the (MTA) because their detour directions are atrocious.  No one knew where the buses were running along the Henry Hudson Parkway.  An elderly lady and I both sat there in frustration trying to make sense of the detour the (MTA) had up.  In any event we were able to get a BxM2 out.  The bus took Henry Hudson Parkway West down to Independence Avenue and then had to go up Independence Avenue all the way to West 239th, cut over to Riverdale Avenue and leave Riverdale that way.  Tomorrow's commute will be a disaster for sure.

It is good to see Cuomo on the scene because we here in Riverdale and especially in Spuyten Duyvil need answers.  I for one would like to see the speeds reduced around that curve because those express trains from Poughkeepsie come flying around the curve and if they derail, there is nowhere for the train nor us passengers to go but literally into the Hudson River and this whole thing has me on edge as a Metro-North rider.  

I don't want to place blame at this time, but I'm sure there were factors outside of direct control. It's possible that gradual deterioration of the line due to environmental factors (rain, snow, saltwater, etc.) may have played a part in the incident. Also a factor is the nature of the tracks on that line, many blinds curves and such.

Without question this is one of the worst accidents involving the (MTA) . At this time I extend my thoughts to the victims and their families in this difficult time. Out of respect for everyone involved I won't speculate further.

Here's the latest for Monday

Following this morning’s derailment of a Hudson Line train in the Bronx, MTA Metro-North Railroad will continue to provide bus service from the Tarrytown Station to the White Plains Station on the Harlem Line until 2 a.m. Monday.

Beginning at 5 a.m. Monday, MTA Bus will provide a bus shuttle between the Yonkers Station and the 242nd Street terminus of the Broadway 1 Subway Line Icon local subway, until further notice.

New York City Subways will operate two additional 1 Subway Line Icon local trains per hour during the peak periods.

Hudson Line will continue to be cross-honored on the subway.

Many of the 26,000 people who use the Hudson Line on an average weekday are encouraged to ride the Harlem Line as an alternative.

People who do not have to travel are urged to telecommute. People should expect crowded trains.

In cooperation with Westchester and Putnam counties and local municipalities, special parking is being arranged to accommodate additional drivers at the Southeast Station at the northern terminus of the Harlem line and at Kensico Dam, which is in walking distance to the Valhalla station. Riders should consult mta.info for additional information on the continuing repair effort and service restoration.

Metro-North Customer Service representatives will be on hand to assist customers in making the transfers.

Cranes and other special heavy equipment are being positioned to remove the rail cars from the area so that repairs can begin. The equipment will arrive this evening begin work following clearance from the NTSB and work will continue through the night.

The accident occurred just before 7:30 a.m. on Sunday, a southbound, Hudson Line train with about 120 passengers on board derailed just north of the Spuyten Duyvil station in the Bronx. All cars derailed.

The National Transportation Safety Board sent a team of investigators who arrived on Sunday and immediately began documenting the scene. Metro-North is cooperating fully with that investigation. With NTSB approval, Metro-North workers will begin clearing the cars, using cranes and heavy equipment.

Customers are advised to check the website for the latest service updates

The locomotive engineer, according to news reports, said the brakes did not apply. Until the NTSB reviews the data recorder I would not want to say. Looking at the photos and from the what was reported the lead car may have rolled 360°.

I may be mistaken, I had thought that the cab signal system in use also included speed restrictions. Metro North uses a cab signal system with automatic train stop. A brake failure would explain much. The train was on its first run of the day. Also it had made several stops from Poughkeepsie to Tarrytown before going express.

One other comment why can't MetroNorth go into Penn Station on the West Side line.

Thx IGN

Archived