Metro-North passenger train derails in NYC

6 Lexington Ave

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL... That's interesting to say the least... They must be on something to actually like those outdated 18th century bohemians. Nevertheless, I'm of the opinion that new cars may have been able to prevent this tragedy. Old equipment usually means more breakdowns, faulty equipment and the like.

They are 20th century. Regardless, the new M8's received a lot of scrutiny at the NTSB hearings as a result of tbe Bridgeport derailment. Some feel certain parts of the cars are not strong enough as a result of the damage.

When it comes to these non powered coaches, there is less to brake down than the newer EMU's. When a breakdown does occur, only one car gets layed up as opposed to two of the newer cars.

There is an NTSB briefing going on right now, you can watch it live: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Investigation-Metro-North-Derailment-Bronx-234049401.html

Some initial findings they reported:

• The throttle was set to idle 6 seconds before the rear engine derailed
  • The train was dumped 5 seconds before the rear engine derailed
  • The train was going 82mph leading into the curve.

There is an NTSB briefing going on right now, you can watch it live: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Investigation-Metro-North-Derailment-Bronx-234049401.html

Some initial findings they reported:

• The throttle was set to idle 6 seconds before the rear engine derailed
  • The train was dumped 5 seconds before the rear engine derailed
  • The train was going 82mph leading into the curve.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but that sure doesn't seem like the train was being operated according to rules. 

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but that sure doesn't seem like the train was being operated according to rules. 

It could be, but it also could be mechanical in nature.  If the brakes weren't working at all, what's stopping the train from going all out?

82 miles an hour ? Good God. If this turns out to be human error his career is finished....

His career may be finished even if it's not human error. Climbing back into the saddle after a major wreck can be emotionally difficult.

The NTSB briefing ended about 4:30 ET. I'm not sure why Senators Blumenthal and Schumer were making comments when the NTSB rep was there.

82 miles an hour ? Good God. If this turns out to be human error his career is finished....

If it is operator error he'll be lucky if it's only his career that's finished. Depending on the circumstances they could charge him with criminally negligent homicide. 

Whether they will, and even whether the cause of the incident is operator error, are of course yet to be seen. 

In a 30 MPH zone no less; forget about his career. He'd be lucky if he doesn't face jail time.

Touching on this annoyingly persistent issue, while some people feel that rail cars should be replaced as often as Transit replaces buses, it's not feasible. Rail cars are significantly more expensive than buses and are thus built to last much longer.

It could be, but it also could be mechanical in nature.  If the brakes weren't working at all, what's stopping the train from going all out?

The data released by the NTSB seems to indicate that the train was exceeding the speed limit, with throttle applied, even before entering the restricted speed zone of the curve.   

The brake pressure dropped to zero one second after the throttle was cut. No mention is made of dynamic braking, perhaps the operator was trying to slow the train with the dynamics before the curve and those didn't work, however from what I understand the cab cars don't have separate controls for dynamic brakes and air brakes. 

I'm going to refrain from passing judgement based on this, even though the recently released evidence points toward operator error, it's all part of a larger picture that I'm more inclined to let the professionals sort out than I am to play blame game on the internet about. 

Am I reading this correctly? 82 miles per hour in a 30 MPH zone?

Based on an outdated ETT, the maximum authorized speed between CP 25 and MP 11.5 is 75. The speed limit between MP 11.5 and CP 11 (interlocking at south end of Spuyten Duyvil station) is 30.

Perhaps simplifying too much, the straight track is 75 mph max but the curve is 30. The train should have slowed to 30 before the curve. Why the train didn't slow to 30 is the crux of the investigation. We should let the NTSB report why the train was going too fast. Nobody on the forum has interviewed the crew.

Lawyers are probably reaching into their notepads right now. All those passengers along with the relatives of those that died are most certainly going to sue..........

I can think of at least two major lawsuits that came out of the May 17th train crash in Bridgeport.

The person(s) were able to find the justification to file suit against the MTA after the fact was made apparent that there was a break in the northbound track (insulated rail joint shifted out of alignment) which according to the lawsuits filed 'was known to exist by the MTA, which the MTA failed to correctly repair prior to the collision,' quote on quote. The lawsuits came approximately two days after the preliminary NTSB report.

Based on an outdated ETT, the maximum authorized speed between CP 25 and MP 11.5 is 75. The speed limit between MP 11.5 and CP 11 (interlocking at south end of Spuyten Duyvil station) is 30.

Perhaps simplifying too much, the straight track is 75 mph max but the curve is 30. The train should have slowed to 30 before the curve. Why the train didn't slow to 30 is the crux of the investigation. We should let the NTSB report why the train was going too fast. Nobody on the forum has interviewed the crew.

Understood, these facts are something that also must be considered before any conclusions can be reached as to what happened.

Rail link is running to 242.

Which is why they're running empty... Who is going to take the Hudson Rail Link bus to the subway then take the (1) to then transfer one or two more times.  Give me a break. Then they have the audacity to say that they're cross honoring their tickets as if taking the subway provides the same speed and comfort of Metro-North... <_<   Most people either took the express bus or drove in.  They should be cross honoring the express bus if anything.  It's funny because the (MTA) doesn't advertise the express buses here when Metro-North goes out.  Instead they think everyone is going to take the (1) train and deal with the long schlepp to the city on those grimy trains. I'm just glad I didn't buy any Metro-North tickets in bulk and instead got a few Express Bus Plus weekly passes.

Which is why they're running empty... Who is going to take the Hudson Rail Link bus to the subway then take the (1) to then transfer one or two more times.  Give me a break. Then they have the audacity to say that they're cross honoring their tickets as if taking the subway provides the same speed and comfort of Metro-North... <_<   Most people either took the express bus or drove in.  They should be cross honoring the express bus if anything.  It's funny because the (MTA) doesn't advertise the express buses here when Metro-North goes out.  Instead they think everyone is going to take the (1) train and deal with the long schlepp to the city on those grimy trains. I'm just glad I didn't buy any Metro-North tickets in bulk and instead got a few Express Bus Plus weekly passes.

People are dead and you're complaining about comfort. -1

The express bus cannot come close to accommodating the thousands and thousands of people who ride the Hudson Line.  It's no alternative.

come to Chicago and then complain. :P

People are dead and you're complaining about comfort. -1

agree

Says who? What are they using to shuttle those people to the train station? Air?

Local buses look there is more local buses than motor coaches because express buses uses nearly all of it. On weekends that is possible. AND WHO WANT TO RISK GETTING STUCK ON THE HIGHWAY WITH EXTRA CARS ON THE ROAD.

come to Chicago and then complain. :P

agree

If your in this accident you will never ever complain. People learn the lesson the hard way one person said on the train that she was thankful to be alive

Archived