Metro-North passenger train derails in NYC

6 Lexington Ave

come to Chicago and then complain. :P

That's why I live in NYC...  :P

Local buses look there is more local buses than motor coaches because express buses uses nearly all of it. On weekends that is possible. AND WHO WANT TO RISK GETTING STUCK ON THE HIGHWAY WITH EXTRA CARS ON THE ROAD.

If your in this accident you will never ever complain. People learn the lesson the hard way

For those who want to use the express bus the option should be there to cross honor Metro-North tickets, the same way that New Jersey Transit cross honors rail tickets with their express buses.  I think I will recommend this set up to my local community board during our next transportation meeting.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says who?  What are they using to shuttle those people to the train station? Air?

They're using non-express buses. If they needed to add all that train capacity to the express bus route they'd probably have to use non-express buses, which if you ask me, is worse than or at the very least equal to the 1 train. 

That's why I live in NYC...  :P

Still, you may be complaining about how a derailment is a problem to your commute, when atleast your fare system works, among other things. 

Do you know what I spend two hours doing today? Trying to buy day passes. Something simple that should have taken 30 minutes. I have a right to complain then. Would I complain if my train hit some one in a tragic accident on the way home? No, because shit happens. I would be miffed, but I would be grateful I wasn't the one killed. Or the one getting the knock on the door.

I digress. Now is not the time to complain, but honestly If I was along the Hudson Line today, I would be grateful to get to work today, even if its late. Rather than bitching about it and everything else under the sun.

Ok via8 sum it all up the (MTA) does not want to have to risk the inconvience of regular express riders, if they cross honored who would take the subway? All of them will pack on the express bus. The subway on the other hand could be inconvience but it could handle much more people, and comes every few min. Also If they cross honor EXP what will the shuttle do where would it go?

How did express buses get dragged into this topic? That is beyond OT, and beyond disrespectful. But based on new information, the situation doesn't seem to add up. They're saying that the engineer has 2 decades experience, and yet initial findings indicate speeding well before entry into the 30 mph curve. Hate to say it, but looks like this one is going to turn out just like Chatsworth and Spain, with the engineer bearing the brunt of the blame, unless new contradictory evidence is released.

How did express buses get dragged into this topic? That is beyond OT, and beyond disrespectful. But based on new information, the situation doesn't seem to add up. They're saying that the engineer has 2 decades experience, and yet initial findings indicate speeding well before entry into the 30 mph curve. Hate to say it, but looks like this one is going to turn out just like Chatsworth and Spain, with the engineer bearing the brunt of the blame, unless new contradictory evidence is released.

I have a question is Tarrytown near the derailment point because the last stop on the train is tarrytown. How did he get to 82 mph. It's just doesn't sound right.

They're using non-express buses. If they needed to add all that train capacity to the express bus route they'd probably have to use non-express buses, which if you ask me, is worse than or at the very least equal to the 1 train. 

No they aren't. They're using quite a few MCI's for those shuttle buses.  They can run those buses from the Riverdale station to Grand Central or in that vicinity and have the Hudson Rail Link buses drop off along Riverdale Avenue and Kappock St/Henry Hudson Parkway.  I'm writing to several politicians now along with my community board to have this option available for those of us who live in Riverdale.  It's outrageous to ask Riverdalians to pay for peak service on Metro-North and then have us make 3 or 4 transfers just to get to Grand Central and call that "equivalent service" when they're paying for a premium service.  That commute takes double the time to make!

Ok via8 sum it all up the (MTA) does not want to have to risk the inconvience of regular express riders, if they cross honored who would take the subway? All of them will pack on the express bus. The subway on the other hand could be inconvience but it could handle much more people, and comes every few min. Also If they cross honor EXP what will the shuttle do where would it go?

Well it's funny that NJ Transit can do it but yet the (MTA) can't... Please...  <_<

I have a question is Tarrytown near the derailment point because the last stop on the train is tarrytown. How did he get to 82 mph. It's just doesn't sound right.

Tarrytown is MP 25.3. Spuyten Duyvil is MP 11.1 so no, Tarrytown isn't near Spuyten Duyvil. Tarrytown was the last stop before Harlem-125th Street. Grand Central was the last stop.

Considering that this was one of the first trains of the day, could fatigue have been a factor ?

The NTSB will examine the work schedules of the train's crew, including if this was their regular work assignment and the number of hours of rest before reporting to work. It's too soon to talk about fatigue.

Well it's funny that NJ Transit can do it but yet the (MTA) can't... Please...  <_<

NJTransit has a much larger bus fleet and a much more sprawled out rail network that can handle medium increases in loads.  MNCR has 3 and only 3 very concentrated and dense lines, it is impossible to completely bustitute the whole entire thing with the MTA's limited express bus fleet.

You're comparing grapes to grapefruits here.

Can we talk about express buses elsewhere, and you do understand that alittle bit less than half of nj transits fleet is motorcoach. Some NJ transit bus routes are longer than rail lines.

Well, form what I'm getting, the Engineer was doing 75 on a 50mph curve.

It's funny how I got downvoted for this even though it was closest to the truth. Yeah, I got the limit messed up, but the engineer was STILL wayyyyy over the limit. NTSB says he was going 82mph.

It's funny how I got downvoted for this even though it was closest to the truth. Yeah, I got the limit messed up, but the engineer was STILL wayyyyy over the limit. NTSB says he was going 82mph.

Maybe because, despite being relatively close, you made an assumption that at the time, you had no evidence to back it up? That's why it was down-voted, b/c people wanted to wait until official word was released by the NTSB....

Maybe because, despite being relatively close, you made an assumption that at the time, you had no evidence to back it up? That's why it was down-voted, b/c people wanted to wait until official word was released by the NTSB....

Not an assumption. Misinformed is the more correct term. Like most people do when they read news, which is why I never really read news unless it's a situation like this, information will get jumbled.

Terrytown quite far from the derailment site, Terrytown is around where the Tappan Zee bridge is at. More than enough track for a train to get up to 82 MPH between Terrytown and the The Bronx.

Another piece, He didn't begin to brake until 5 Seconds before the curve itself.

Just to clarify, the train didn't begin to brake until six seconds before impact. That doesn't necessarily mean the operator didn't apply the brakes earlier. I'm simply keeping things to what's confirmed. That's all.

And not for nothing ViaG, but you have just become this biggest douchebag on these forums with your recent comments about how your lack of comfort on the shuttle buses/subway is unbearable following the deaths of four people and scores injured after a horrific accident.

On a side note, how is compensation working out for those affected directly (injury claims, death, etc.) and those affected by service outage? Sounds like the MTA is going to have to shell out quite a few bucks in this instance.

The brake pressure dropped to zero one second after the throttle was cut. No mention is made of dynamic braking, perhaps the operator was trying to slow the train with the dynamics before the curve and those didn't work, however from what I understand the cab cars don't have separate controls for dynamic brakes and air brakes.

Only the locomotive has dynamic brakes.

Regarding the 0 psi brake pressure, it seems that the brake pipe pressure is being described. When that drops to 0 that means an emergency application of the brakes was made. What was not stated was the brake cylinder pressure, or how much air was physically on the brake mechanism. For the equipment it should be between 45 and 60 PSI for a full service application.

And not for nothing ViaG, but you have just become this biggest douchebag on these forums with your recent comments about how your lack of comfort on the shuttle buses/subway is unbearable following the deaths of four people and scores injured after a horrific accident.

Brings a whole new level to the term 'first world problems'. :rolleyes:

So to sum this up for those of us not familiar with commuter train mechanics, the reports have shown that the train was traveling at 80 mph, there was some sort of emergency brake application about five seconds before the crash, and that's all we know so far? Am I missing something here? Do we know if there was a non-emergency brake application before this?

Archived