RFP for Next-Generation Passenger Rail Locomotives

DJ MC

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) today announced that U.S. manufacturers are being invited to submit bids to produce high-performance, next-generation diesel-electric locomotives.

“When we make smart investments in rail, we are investing in America,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx.  “Our Buy America provisions ensure that the major components of these locomotives will be built with American hands and with American produced steel, iron and manufactured goods.”

The Request for Proposals (RFP) to manufacture approximately 35 new diesel-electric locomotives in America comes from a groundbreaking multi-state effort to jointly purchase standardized rail equipment to be used on state corridor routes in Illinois, Michigan, Missouri and Iowa in the Midwest and Washington, California, and Oregon on the West Coast.

The Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) is leading the multi-state locomotive procurement, with first deliveries expected in 2016. The FRA has allocated $808 million to manufacture the next generation of passenger rail equipment including the 35 new locomotives and 130 bi-level rail cars.

Read: Source

This is a few months old, but was never posted.

Here is a new engine being brought out by a the team of Siemens and Cummins. Looks like we could see Cummins powered trains on top of buses and trucks in the near future running across America. 

689a396e1c31d0c604ace4cc2bde13b0_XL.jpg

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/mechanical/locomotives/siemens-cummins-team-for-tier-4-locomotives.html?channel=35

Here is a new engine being brought out by a the team of Siemens and Cummins. Looks like we could see Cummins powered trains on top of buses and trucks in the near future running across America. 

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/mechanical/locomotives/siemens-cummins-team-for-tier-4-locomotives.html?channel=35

YES! I've been waiting for this combo to compete against the CAT powered EMD.

Time to bring Amtrak into the 21st century. Some of it's equipment is so old to the point where outright rehabilitation isn't cost effective anymore.

I must say, the rendering looks nice. Looking forward to seeing them in serivice.

Oh this would look nice! The style is just sleek!

Can't wait for those effin' beercans (coughAMFLEETcouch) to go... 'Bout damn time. :lol:

You'll be waiting for another decade or so before those cars go. The equipment I see being replaced in the near future are the heritage cars and the oldest Genesis engines (P40s and P42s).

You'll be waiting for another decade or so before those cars go. The equipment I see being replaced in the near future are the heritage cars and the oldest Genesis engines (P40s and P42s).

To call the Amfleets warhorses is an understatement. Those cars are bulletproof

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, exactly my thoughts averagejoe. They look good, but too Euro. Ah well, I didn't like MNRR's M8's at first and now I do like them so that probably doesn't say much lol. Although I wonder what the engine of this train will sound like. Cummins-powered buses are noisy as hell in my experience (and I experience various ones from various mf years ranging from 2003 to 2012 every day/week). Let's hope that's not the case on these trains...

Yeah, exactly my thoughts averagejoe. They look good, but too Euro. Ah well, I didn't like MNRR's M8's at first and now I do like them so that probably doesn't say much lol. Although I wonder what the engine of this train will sound like. Cummins-powered buses are noisy as hell in my experience (and I experience various ones from various mf years ranging from 2003 to 2012 every day/week). Let's hope that's not the case on these trains...

If you've ever stood next to an ALP-45DP in diesel mode, then you should have an idea of what kind of volume we're dealing with. High speed diesels are relatively loud compared to their medium speed counterparts.

• 2 months later...

Well, the new locomotives will be built in Sacramento and check out the option order for 225 locomotives. Set to be delivered in 2016.

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/03/18/6248266/siemens-facility-in-sacramento.html

These could be the replacement for the Genesis locomotives. This is the Cummins engine they will use.

33033536ac48c62bf97d0cac86293ca9_XL.jpg

Awesome to see California contributing a major role in the order.

Yes, I am biased.

Well something has to run with the 130 new bi-level coaches that are due to go into service in late 2015. I hope other commuter rail companies are able to purchase these diesels as well. Siemens together with Cummins has a lot of potential with the Chargers. 

Well something has to run with the 130 new bi-level coaches that are due to go into service in late 2015. I hope other commuter rail companies are able to purchase these diesels as well. Siemens together with Cummins has a lot of potential with the Chargers. 

I have to agree. I'm just glad that NorCal is getting some work out of this.

I have to agree. I'm just glad that NorCal is getting some work out of this.

I just hope the option order for 300 cars from Nippon-Sharyo is exercised, so everyone in the Midwest and California doesn't have to resort to borrowing equipment from Amtrak, where it would be needed for long distance or even the NEC. 

I just hope the option order for 300 cars from Nippon-Sharyo is exercised, so everyone in the Midwest and California doesn't have to resort to borrowing equipment from Amtrak, where it would be needed for long distance or even the NEC. 

True, all division should have a more than fair amount of dedicated equipment.

True, all division should have a more than fair amount of dedicated equipment.

Yep, especially when games or special events take place. Would come in handy to run extra or longer trains.

Archived