Most youth unhappy with Obama's job performance

DJ MC

BOSTON (Reuters) - Young Americans are unhappy with virtually every major thing President Barack Obama has done since he was re-elected, but they would still vote for him today, according to the results of a Harvard University survey released on Wednesday.

The national poll by Harvard's Institute of Politics of more than 2,000 people aged 18 through 29 is intended to provide insight into the political views of the youngest U.S. voters. This increasingly influential demographic known as the "millennial generation" has been a traditional base of Obama's support.

More than 50 percent of respondents in the survey, taken between October 30 and November 11, said they disapproved of how the Democratic president handled key issues in his second term, including Syria, Iran, the economy, healthcare and the federal budget deficit.

Read more: Source

See, we have a huge problem here, today people have no idea who or what they're really voting for. The trend was "vote Obama", they voted Obama. No one does any research, no one looks into candidates' ideals or histories, it's vote for whoever it's trendy to vote for, no questions asked. And once they realize they actually disagree with the trend they voted for, they still say they'd vote for that trend again. This is only gonna become a bigger problem as this (sadly my) generation grows older and the last starts to die off.

Whatever your political beliefs are, the fact is this is how this generation makes up its mind on everything, through trends mostly created by big media. It's fine to be trendy in fashion, music, etc., but there's certain areas of your life (politics included) where not knowing anything and just following the trends is just bad.

See, we have a huge problem here, today people have no idea who or what they're really voting for. The trend was "vote Obama", they voted Obama. No one does any research, no one looks into candidates' ideals or histories, it's vote for whoever it's trendy to vote for, no questions asked. And once they realize they actually disagree with the trend they voted for, they still say they'd vote for that trend again. This is only gonna become a bigger problem as this (sadly my) generation grows older and the last starts to die off.

Whatever your political beliefs are, the fact is this is how this generation makes up its mind on everything, through trends mostly created by big media. It's fine to be trendy in fashion, music, etc., but there's certain areas of your life (politics included) where not knowing anything and just following the trends is just bad.

This would be a fair point if you didn't consider who the alternative was in both elections. Between John McCain and that numbskull Palin a 70-something heartbeat away and the woefully incompetent Mitt Romney, it's a safe bet that the issues which these youths are unhappy about would have been handled even worse. It wasn't trendy to vote for Obama, it was rational. Just because the Republican party is filled with old people and racists doesn't mean that it's a matter of coolness when a Democrat is elected with young support.

This would be a fair point if you didn't consider who the alternative was in both elections. Between John McCain and that numbskull Palin a 70-something heartbeat away and the woefully incompetent Mitt Romney, it's a safe bet that the issues which these youths are unhappy about would have been handled even worse. It wasn't trendy to vote for Obama, it was rational. Just because the Republican party is filled with old people and racists doesn't mean that it's a matter of coolness when a Democrat is elected with young support.

Excuse me?

The problem here is that these kids have it injected in their minds that Mitt Romney is the "evil big businessman" and all Republicans are racist and old, and they won't hear anything else. You try and explain things to them and let them make up their minds from there, they won't want to hear it, and you yourself before you can even start talking get labeled racist, homophobic, and bigoted. Mitt Romney was not incompetent, him being in "big business" ruined it for him and the GOP because the libs were able to make him sound like the "evil businessman" which, of course, doesn't sit well with this generation of voters who are brought up to believe that business and capitalism are bad. Reality is, every GOP candidate will be labeled something to sway voters against him/her. In 2016 we'll have Rand Paul the "racist teabagger", Chris Christie the "fatboy" (course telling people not to vote for someone because he's overweight isn't discriminating against the obese), and who knows what else and these names will heavily influence who people vote for, along with the general trend that the hip thing to do is vote for Hillary Clinton or whoever it is that runs for the Democraps.

Excuse me?

The problem here is that these kids have it injected in their minds that Mitt Romney is the "evil big businessman" and all Republicans are racist and old, and they won't hear anything else. You try and explain things to them and let them make up their minds from there, they won't want to hear it, and you yourself before you can even start talking get labeled racist, homophobic, and bigoted. Mitt Romney was not incompetent, him being in "big business" ruined it for him and the GOP because the libs were able to make him sound like the "evil businessman" which, of course, doesn't sit well with this generation of voters who are brought up to believe that business and capitalism are bad. Reality is, every GOP candidate will be labeled something to sway voters against him/her. In 2016 we'll have Rand Paul the "racist teabagger", Chris Christie the "fatboy" (course telling people not to vote for someone because he's overweight isn't discriminating against the obese), and who knows what else and these names will heavily influence who people vote for, along with the general trend that the hip thing to do is vote for Hillary Clinton or whoever it is that runs for the Democraps.

Excuse me, but being a "young person" between the age of 19 and 29, what turned me off to Mitt Romney was the fact that he was actually woefully incompetent. It would have been a huge embarrassment to the nation had he somehow been elected to office, and then some time down the road, made one of his oh so famous slip ups, ie, the 47%. I would rather have someone in office, regardless of party, who knows how to keep a certain sense of dignity even in the face of failure or opposition.

In the upcoming election, there's no telling who I'd personally vote for, but honestly, if Christie was the republican nominee, and the democrats don't come up with anyone better than Biden or H. Clinton, my vote may very well be given to Christie.

You are generalizing the young voting population, labeling them as hipsters and people who don't do research and just go with the trends. That may be so for a lot of people, but then again, I can say a lot of the same things about folks on the right of the aisle as well. Personally, I'd like to see someone in office who has the ability to bring both sides back together, so that this country can actually accomplish something again, like it used to be able to, and if Christie was able to do that with the NJ state legislature, then I'm willing to throw my support behind him.

This is the problem with politics in today's age. People only want to focus on the negative stigma that defines each party. The Democrats are plagued with their "freeloading hippies," and the Republicans are cursed with their "racist, greedy, gun loving rich." The majority of both sides would rather focus on the other sides' flaws as a basis of disagreement and a rational of why they don't want to work with the other side, rather than acknowledging that both sides have legitimate points of contention, and that politics doesn't have to be clear cut black and white; my way, or no way.

Excuse me, but being a "young person" between the age of 19 and 29, what turned me off to Mitt Romney was the fact that he was actually woefully incompetent. It would have been a huge embarrassment to the nation had he somehow been elected to office, and then some time down the road, made one of his oh so famous slip ups, ie, the 47%. I would rather have someone in office, regardless of party, who knows how to keep a certain sense of dignity even in the face of failure or opposition.

In the upcoming election, there's no telling who I'd personally vote for, but honestly, if Christie was the republican nominee, and the democrats don't come up with anyone better than Biden or H. Clinton, my vote may very well be given to Christie.

You are generalizing the young voting population, labeling them as hipsters and people who don't do research and just go with the trends. That may be so for a lot of people, but then again, I can say a lot of the same things about folks on the right of the aisle as well. Personally, I'd like to see someone in office who has the ability to bring both sides back together, so that this country can actually accomplish something again, like it used to be able to, and if Christie was able to do that with the NJ state legislature, then I'm willing to throw my support behind him.

This is the problem with politics in today's age. People only want to focus on the negative stigma that defines each party. The Democrats are plagued with their "freeloading hippies," and the Republicans are cursed with their "racist, greedy, gun loving rich." The majority of both sides would rather focus on the other sides' flaws as a basis of disagreement and a rational of why they don't want to work with the other side, rather than acknowledging that both sides have legitimate points of contention, and that politics doesn't have to be clear cut black and white; my way, or no way.

That's your opinion and I respect that. But, fact of the matter is, there aren't so many that agree with you. If you approach a random Obama supporter and ask why they voted for him and why they hate Romney, you'll get answers so hilariously ignorant (but also exactly what the media has them believe about them) you'll shit your pants. "Mitt Romney is a racist evil CEO and he wants to take all my money for BMWs and golf memberships." and "Obama is the man, he gives me all this free stuff every month because he loves me." or "Obama, uhhhh, wants to, uhhhh, get us out of the wars? Amirite?"

There are videos out on YouTube where people do just that which I'd find and post if I wasn't on my iPhone.

That's your opinion and I respect that. But, fact of the matter is, there aren't so many that agree with you. If you approach a random Obama supporter and ask why they voted for him and why they hate Romney, you'll get answers so hilariously ignorant (but also exactly what the media has them believe about them) you'll shit your pants. "Mitt Romney is a racist evil CEO and he wants to take all my money for BMWs and golf memberships." and "Obama is the man, he gives me all this free stuff every month because he loves me." or "Obama, uhhhh, wants to, uhhhh, get us out of the wars? Amirite?"

There are videos out on YouTube where people do just that which I'd find and post if I wasn't on my iPhone.

The fact of the matter is, you can't believe anything you see anywhere. Any videos you would find on youtube illustrating your point, which is completely legitimate, would still only be showing you one side, since the creators of those videos would have set out with a biased agenda anyway. To say that just because you saw a few videos, than you somehow miraculously know that a "majority" of young democrats are like this, is complete folly. Neither you, nor I for that matter, know truly what demographic of any party knows what they're talking about, or voting for. Once again, here we are playing on the negative stigma and completely ignoring any positive light that were to be offered.

The real issue here is candidates are being voted for based on who is "cool". I heard a former colleague of mine talk about how "cool" Obama is and I'm sure that's why she voted for him and nothing more.  It's basically become a popularity contest.  The Republicans are painted as the evil ones and the Democrats are the cool guys, even though many of them are just as "evil" and inept as some Republicans.  I would just like people to do their research before they go running and voting for a candidate.  These politicians should earn our votes and not just be handed it because they're "cool".  Granted, the candidate should have some level of appeal and likeability, but give me a break.  

The alternatives in both cases were worse than he is IMO. I like Obama, just feel like he disappointed more than anything.

And that's precisely the problem.  People are becoming so wrapped in liking candidates that they don't expect them to f*ck them over and then express how disappointed they are.  It's like being set up for a big failure.  The real gaff IMO is this whole healthcare plan in which he promised that Americans who liked their healthcare plan could keep it.  He championed a healthcare program that he was for and then sat back and allowed Americans to lose the very healthcare plans that he claimed they could keep. That is a total embarrassment and a sign of ineptitude on numerous levels.

I have a slightly different take on this that I believe supersedes any immediate talk over political affiliation or in regards to race relations, as much as definite concrete points has been brought out here.

There is a high level of corruption within the US government. There has been a plethora of situations all presidents mishandled and flat out lied about. What we are really seeing here is a buildup of oppressive policies that past presidents up to the current administration continues to enforce.

Many are sick and tired of all the failed promises that our government has failed miserably to keep. This is why the popularity ratings has fallen off the chain. But realize that it is not just Obama or the lawmakers on the congress floor. It goes way deeper than that.

It has alot to do with what led up to this, namely the policies put in place by past presidents that Obama currently endorses.

It s clear to me that we are living under a corrupt government which is continuing to reinforce unyielding global control with the continuation of neo-colonialist foreign diplomatic policies while through underhanded tactics and media disinformation mislead its own people. Really with that in mind, in the eyes of others around the world, makes our government and military forces no different than the global leaders in Moscow or Beijing.

This is where you're forming a basis on stereotypes. It's been perpetuated many times that the people of the generation of today (Gen Y) aren't free thinkers and will in essence "follow the crowd", however I can give first hand experience contradicting that belief.

And the 2008 election wsn't based on a trend, it was based on picking the best alternative. You either took your chance with the young guy with the most potential to reform and a great backing candidate, or you went with the old dude who seemed to impede progress at each opportunity, and to top it off a vice candidate who couldn't tell the country of Africa (not nation) apart from her own a**hole.

Moving on with this post, your closing statement just further shows that this reasoning is based on a stereotype, which is a shame considering you yourself belong to this generation.

Furthermore...

Excuse me?

...If you actually pay attention to politics as much as you're insinuating here you'd realize the majority of the right are major impediments trying to keep progress down. It was the main reason our congress said no more and actually did something about it.

Now, to reply to more sensible people.

Right on. In the 2008 election it was most apparent that the majority grew tired of incompetent leaders at the helm. Barack offered the most potential to move ahead and progress, and whether for beter or worse we as a nation have progressed much since then.

I have a slightly different take on this that I believe supersedes any immediate talk over political affiliation or in regards to race relations, as much as definite concrete points has been brought out here.

There is a high level of corruption within the US government. There has been a plethora of situations all presidents mishandled and flat out lied about. What we are really seeing here is a buildup of oppressive policies that past presidents up to the current administration continues to enforce.

Many are sick and tired of all the failed promises that our government has failed miserably to keep. This is why the popularity ratings has fallen off the chain. But realize that it is not just Obama or the lawmakers on the congress floor. It goes way deeper than that.

It has alot to do with what led up to this, namely the policies put in place by past presidents that Obama currently endorses.

It s clear to me that we are living under a corrupt government which is continuing to reinforce unyielding global control with the continuation of neo-colonialist foreign diplomatic policies while through underhanded tactics and media disinformation mislead its own people. Really with that in mind, in the eyes of others around the world, makes our government and military forces no different than the global leaders in Moscow or Beijing.

And yes, on the other side of the tracks we have the extremist view, which in this age is closer to the truth than ever before. One thing though, I can't fault the presidency as much as I fault the adminsitration for covering up so much, and paying complete disregard for citizens on many fronts.

+1 for the alternative view.

As much as I like the man, he IS, still, just a figurehead. In other words, HE'S the one they throw out there to take all the shit. Congress, the Senate and such are the ones really running things...

Exactly!

And yes, on the other side of the tracks we have the extremist view, which in this age is closer to the truth than ever before. One thing though, I can't fault the presidency as much as I fault the adminsitration for covering up so much, and paying complete disregard for citizens on many fronts.

+1 for the alternative view.

Indeed.

As much as I like the man, he IS, still, just a figurehead. In other words, HE'S the one they throw out there to take all the shit. Congress, the Senate and such are the ones really running things...

Yes, exactly. Modern government at it's finest.

This man is a dictator. Like Benito Mussolini, or Adolf Hitler, or Julius Caesar. This guy needs to get impeached, or it will set a precedent that other presidents later on will follow. It is disgusting..........

By all means, please further elaborate on your point of view as we're all dying to hear it.

Unless this comment was made in jest, in which case I wouldn't consider it all that serious.

By all means, please further elaborate on your point of view as we're all dying to hear it.

Unless this comment was made in jest, in which case I wouldn't consider it all that serious.

I will give an example. Obama lied about Obamacare. Well he told people that they could keep their plan, and doctors. Explain that to the 10 million people that loss their either their doctors, or their plans.........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck0WiX7wYKo

I will give an example. Obama lied about Obamacare. Well he told people that they could keep their plan, and doctors. Explain that to the 10 million people that loss their either their doctors, or their plans.........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck0WiX7wYKo

Those weren't lies as much as they were attributes to providers that weren't willing to get with the damn program. They are the ones who put their patients at risk, not the president.

Furthermore that's no where near on scale to what actual dictators did and have done.

And for the record I'm not a fan of the plan either, but if someone who really needs the care benefits whereas they wouldn't have able to have benefited before than I'm willing to tolerate whatever fees, charges, etc. for the most basic of coverage.

So did the Tea Party aligned who first lied to us by promising economic security then forces a government shutdown, stabbing us in the back, for the sake of the upper middle class citizens, at the expense of the poor. 

Dictators get their plans accomplished without any intervention and do it quick.

It's taken Obamacare some years to pass. Obamacare was repeatedly objected to, and by no means is it having success.

Clearly not the mark of a dictator.

To make it clear, no President in US has reached the heights of a real dictator. Not even FDR, who ran for 4 terms. I'll go as far to see that as much as I didn't agree with many of his policies, and as much as people don't like him, not even Bush was close.

You clearly don't know what a dictator is.

So did the Tea Party aligned who first lied to us by promising economic security then forces a government shutdown, stabbing us in the back, for the sake of the upper middle class citizens, at the expense of the poor.

Right on. I don't see how anyone can counter what the right align has done in terms of impediment.

Dictators get their plans accomplished without any intervention and do it quick.

It's taken Obamacare some years to pass. Obamacare was repeatedly objected to, and by no means is it having success.

Clearly not the mark of a dictator.

To make it clear, no President in US has reached the heights of a real dictator. Not even FDR, who ran for 4 terms. I'll go as far to see that as much as I didn't agree with many of his policies, and as much as people don't like him, not even Bush was close.

You clearly don't know what a dictator is.

Agreed tenfold. If anyone is dictating anything in this country is congress, as from what's evidenced recently the President has many obstacles to face in order to do nearly anything.

Right on. I don't see how anyone can counter what the right align has done in terms of impediment.

Agreed tenfold. If anyone is dictating anything in this country is congress, as from what's evidenced recently the President has many obstacles to face in order to do nearly anything.

I actually wouldn't even call congress a dictatorship, or accuse it of acting like it. At least there's two parties that prevent one from gaining total control.

I actually wouldn't even call congress a dictatorship, or accuse it of acting like it. At least there's two parties that prevent one from gaining total control.

I'm of course speaking in a radical sense, which is very far from the truth, but required to better place perspective on the issues off the press.

Archived