New York City’s top school bus operator to give last ride at end of year

Harry

post-5097-0-61728900-1386243823_thumb.jpg
New York City's largest yellow school bus company will close Dec. 31 after it failed to save on labor costs with a new union contract, a company spokeswoman said Wednesday. Staten Island-based Atlantic Express Transportation, which operates 25% of the city’s school bus routes, will begin selling off routes and assets immediately as it prepares to go out of business, spokeswoman Carolyn Daly said. The Education Department will have to find other bus companies to operate the 1,600 routes Atlantic Express is giving up. About 2,000 matrons and drivers who work for Atlantic will be eligible for work at other bus companies.

Read more: Source

New York City's largest yellow school bus company will close Dec. 31 after it failed to save on labor costs with a new union contract, a company spokeswoman said Wednesday. Staten Island-based Atlantic Express Transportation, which operates 25% of the city’s school bus routes, will begin selling off routes and assets immediately as it prepares to go out of business, spokeswoman Carolyn Daly said. The Education Department will have to find other bus companies to operate the 1,600 routes Atlantic Express is giving up. About 2,000 matrons and drivers who work for Atlantic will be eligible for work at other bus companies.

WOW!  I wonder if this will affect their Long Island operations (Educational, Suffolk, and Bauman will be getting bigger!)...  I wonder why they decided to sell off the assets and routes as opposed to selling the whole company?  I guess it's easier and more profitable but you figure First Student and Veolia would've foamed at the mouth at buying such a large piece of the NYC school bus pie!

Man, I feel sorry for these guys. 

They'll be okay, I wish this happened to me when I was driving a school bus, these drivers could collect unemployment for a year come this summer as their employer will no longer be in business so they can't be forced to take a job with another company.  

I can only imagine the amount of students that will be displaced and forced to use other alternatives.

Dude...

No students will be out of a ride, other companies will buy the routes and buses...  The only difference the students will see (if they even notice) is a different name on the side of the bus...  ...BUT IMHO a NYC landmark (AE bus) gone!  :(

I remember during HSES clean up, when my HSES teachers invited me on Senior Beach Cleanup in Coney Island Boardwalk, and Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, our HSES hired Atlantic Express.

I sent facebook page message to Atlantic Express if Staten Island yard closes will affect X23/X24 bus routes, but they told me they will continue to operate X23/X24.

WOW!  I wonder if this will affect their Long Island operations (Educational, Suffolk, and Bauman will be getting bigger!)...  I wonder why they decided to sell off the assets and routes as opposed to selling the whole company?  I guess it's easier and more profitable but you figure First Student and Veolia would've foamed at the mouth at buying such a large piece of the NYC school bus pie!

They'll be okay, I wish this happened to me when I was driving a school bus, these drivers could collect unemployment for a year come this summer as their employer will no longer be in business so they can't be forced to take a job with another company.  

Dude...

No students will be out of a ride, other companies will buy the routes and buses...  The only difference the students will see (if they even notice) is a different name on the side of the bus...  ...BUT IMHO a NYC landmark (AE bus) gone!  :(

People have forgotten Varsity Transit and Children's Bus Service.

People have forgotten Varsity Transit and Children's Bus Service.

I've never heard of them (or did literally forget lol) but I was talking about the biggest companies in my area and the biggest companies in the nation (and I can't believe I forgot Durham School Services)

I remember during HSES clean up, when my HSES teachers invited me on Senior Beach Cleanup in Coney Island Boardwalk, and Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, our HSES hired Atlantic Express.

I sent facebook page message to Atlantic Express if Staten Island yard closes will affect X23/X24 bus routes, but they told me they will continue to operate X23/X24.

Quite the contrary, as they're closed for good now.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/43291-takeover-of-the-x23-and-x24-routes/?p=734169

• 2 weeks later...

Some Long Island updates on this:

Massapequa who's main route busing is divided between Educational and Atlantic Express has hired a lawyer to advise them on the situation.  

http://massapequa.patch.com/groups/schools/p/massapequa-school-district-hires-lawyer-in-bus-company-bankruptcy_2c023f41

Also...

"Atlantic Express Transportation Corp. made its second of three bankruptcy-court appearances this week, receiving approval of three more sales.

All the sales are to Logan Bus Co. and still require the approval of the issuers of the contracts Atlantic Express is assigning through the sale. However, Judge Sean Lane gave his approval, removing any bankruptcy-court barrier to the sale.

The sales are for $380,000, $300,000 and $70,000 each. Respectively, they involve busing contracts with Uniondale, East Meadow and Oceanside school districts, Metro North Commuter Rail and Bellmore Merrick school districts, all of which are located in New York."

I've never heard of them (or did literally forget lol) but I was talking about the biggest companies in my area and the biggest companies in the nation (and I can't believe I forgot Durham School Services)

Children's Bus Service was a dominant school bus company in the fifties and sixties. I rode them to school when I was little. Varsity came on later in the seventies. They were owned by the Coopers and had a near monopoly on school bus routes in the city and they were broken up.

Educational Bus to take over the remainder of Massapequa's routes...  Atlantic and Educational to split Massapequa before now Educational will handle all routes for the District after the winter break.  This was previoulsy operated out of AE's Farmingdale Yard formerly Raybern Bus.

http://massapequa.patch.com/groups/schools/p/new-school-bus-company-in-massapequa

Educational also gets Seaford (also formally handled by the AE/Raybern yard out of Farmingdale).

http://wantagh.patch.com/groups/schools/p/seaford-school-district-to-use-new-bus-company

Educational gets Wantagh Also previously handled by the AE/Raybern out of Farmingdale.

http://www.wantaghschools.org/cms/lib05/NY01001016/Centricity/Domain/1/bus%20memo.pdf

This will be interesting and i wonder about the logistics of this considering I was once told that Massapequa was such a large District that AE had all of the routes they would need a yard the side of the yard they had in Farmingdale just for the Massapequa schools.  I seriously wonder where they will put all the buses as this will easily come close to doubling the fleet of school buses they have in their Copiague facility,  I wonder where they were going to put the buses when EBT INC won the transit routes Inter county previously held...  Now i seriously wonder where they will put the buses!?!  I know that unlike AE Educational allows drivers school bus drivers to take home buses overnight, I guess they will push for this unless they get a new yard or expand the Copiague yard.  There are reports that Educational has obtained the lease for the "Raybern" property in Farmingdale...

No official word on on who will handle the Amityville SD, which is the fourth district that was operated out of the Raybern Yard in Farmingdale.  As mentioned above Educational has gotten Seaford, Wantagh, and the remainder of Massapequa...

Educational also gets the Farmingdale School District (previously handled by AE's other Farmingdale Yard - K Corr Bus)

http://www.farmingdaleschools.org/cms/lib02/NY01001906/Centricity/Domain/4/Transportation%20Ltr%2012-19-130001.pdf

Just an update I drove past AE's former "Raybern" yard on Baiting Place Rd in Farmingdale... It appears that Educational Bus HAS taken over the yard and buses there. All Atlantic Express decals have been removed people were actively working about half the buses had were "blank" (no name) and half were rebranded Educational Bus Transportation... Even the new Visions, it's odd seeing the new Visions branded Educational (in their green livery) but they look good! It appears they are keeping all the AE body numbers on the buses.

• 1 month later...

Archived