Michelle Obama: My husband shares same beliefs you have

Trainspotter

Michelle Obama: My husband shares same beliefs you have

BY MICHAEL SAUL

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, August 26th 2008

alg_obama-family.jpg

Antonelli/News

Barack Obama greets his family and the audience via satellite at the Democratic National Convention on Monday night.

Declaring her husband will be an "extraordinary President," Michelle Obama delivered a heartstring-tugging speech on Monday night about the values and compassion behind Barack Obama's drive for the White House.

"We want our children and all children in this nation to know that the only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work hard for them," she said.

PHOTO GALLERY: DNC, DAY ONE

Indeed, it was a family affair for the Obamas as their two adorable girls - Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7 - later joined their mom on stage and blew kisses at their dad when he appeared on a giant video screen.

"Hi, Daddy," the would-be First Daughters told their father.

"I love you, Daddy," Sasha said sweetly.

[float=right]amd_michelle-speaks.jpg[/float]The intimate moment came after Michelle Obama finished giving voters a personal glimpse of the man she married, just two days before he makes history as the first African-American nominated for President on a major party ticket.

"The Barack Obama I know today is the same man I fell in love with 19 years ago," she said. "He's the same man who drove me and our new baby daughter home from the hospital 10 years ago this summer, inching along at a snail's pace, peering at us anxiously through the rearview mirror, feeling the whole weight of her future in his hands, determined to give her everything he'd struggled so hard for himself, determined to give her something he never had: the affirming embrace of a father's love."

Barack Obama, the son of a black man from Kenya and a white woman from Kansas, grew up in a fatherless home.

His mom and grandparents raised him, mostly in Hawaii. Responding to Republican efforts to paint the Illinois senator as an out-of-touch, elitist celebrity, Michelle Obama said her husband has the same core beliefs as most Americans.

Among them: "That you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you're going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don't know them, and even if you don't agree with them."

In a nod toward a controversy that left some critics questioning her patriotism, Michelle Obama declared, "I love this country." She also paid tribute to her husband's former rival, Hillary Clinton, "who put those 18 million cracks in the glass ceiling, so that our daughters - and sons - can dream a little bigger and aim a little higher."

Clinton supporters roared their approval. "I think for anyone who needed their heart thawed a little bit, that speech might have done it," said New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn (D-Manhattan), who had backed Clinton. Michelle Obama made abundantly clear that the Obama daughters are her highest priority in life.

"They're the first thing I think about when I wake up in the morning, and the last thing I think about when I go to bed at night," she said.

"Their future - and all our children's future - is my stake in this election."

On screen via satellite from Kansas City, Mo., Barack Obama praised his wife's speech to the convention.

"How 'bout Michelle Obama?" Barack Obama said with a smile. "Now you know why I asked her out so many times, even though she said no. You want a persistent President."

Asked by her dad to rate Mom's performance, Sasha said, "I think she did good."

"I think so, too," the candidate replied.

Director Spike Lee, hanging with the New York delegation, agreed.

"Great speech. She nailed that point that she loves this country," he said. "I think that she's put that to rest tonight."

I thought it was a great speech as well. She seemed nervous and at times she didn't know what to do with her hands, but that just made her appear more endearing and genuine versus rehearsed and phony to me.

Having the children interact with their Dad was also a good touch.

I loved that part. I think families of candidates are often not involved enough.

- (A)

I loved that part. I think families of candidates are often not involved enough.

- (A)

Yes, I agree and when they are involved all you get is "the wave" and smiles. Being that Obama's children are so young, I would imagine that it makes it harder to "stage" them so everything comes across as being sincere. For instance, the youngest kept interrupting Obama while he was speaking and grabbing the mic from her Mom as if she was truly excited to talk to him. I doubt that wouldn't have happened if the kids were older; everything must go according to plan...

That means her husband shares the belief of gun ownership rights, less taxes or do more with what the Gov't already sodomizes us for, only 1 house for politicians, no money to parties from interest groups, and Barack should change his first name. Now I'll wait to see if any happen........

Archived