Black fashion student says Hasidic men attacked him, shouted anti-gay slurs - NY Daily News

realizm

hate10n-1-web.jpg

hate10n-5-web.jpg

Taj Patterson was allegedly assaulted by a group of Hasidic men in Williamsburg.

BY WILL HUNTSBERRY , AVERI HARPER AND CORINNE LESTCH / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 10, 2013, 5:36 AM

A black fashion student says he was brutally attacked by a gang of Hasidic men who shouted anti-gay slurs at him while he was walking through Williamsburg after a night of partying, the Daily News has learned.

Taj Patterson, 22, was headed home to Fort Greene around 4:30 a.m. on Dec. 1 when he says more than a dozen ultra-Orthodox Jewish men began assaulting him on Flushing Ave. and yelling, “Stay down, f----t!”

“I’m walking down some block by myself and then the next thing I know, I’m surrounded by a group of Hasidic Jewish men and they’re attacking me,” Patterson said. “I was alone. I was an easy target. I’m black. I’m gay, a whole slew of reasons.”

Patterson was left with a broken eye socket, a torn retina, blood clotting, and cuts and bruises to his knee and ankles. He was rushed to Woodhull Hospital for treatment.

The New York City College of Technology student left for a fun night out with friends, and returned with a broken eye socket, a torn retina, blood clotting, and cuts and bruises to his knee and ankles.

He was rushed to Woodhull Hospital and is expected to undergo surgery to reattach his retina.

The NYPD confirmed Monday night that the hate crimes unit is investigating the assault.

Read more: Source

This is wild if it's true.  I've lived in quite a few Jewish neighborhoods (Sheepshead Bay and Midwood) and am currently living in one (Riverdale).  Some Jews can be prejudiced, but many of them are quite tolerant.  What exactly made them think he was gay though?  :huh: Something doesn't add up.  He was so intoxicated, but yet he remembers who attacked him? Which is it??

Well thats one of the many questions I am asking myself in reading the article. We may have to wait and see (as we speculate on the possibilities) for the results of the NYPD investigation which is ongoing.

The guy can be temporarily blinded in that eye with a severed retina, so this sort of blunt trama injury is pretty serious. The guy took a nasty set of blows to the face.

This is wild if it's true.  I've lived in quite a few Jewish neighborhoods (Sheepshead Bay and Midwood) and am currently living in one (Riverdale).  Some Jews can be prejudiced, but many of them are quite tolerant.  What exactly made them think he was gay though?  :huh: Something doesn't add up.  He was so intoxicated, but yet he remembers who attacked him? Which is it??

I doubt the intoxication line was true. An eyewitness (the bus driver) says that he was speaking at the time, and then magically "police sources" say that he was too drunk to talk? Doubtful...

There is a big difference between Jewish NYers and these Orthodox Hasidim. A huge difference.

I doubt the intoxication line was true. An eyewitness (the bus driver) says that he was speaking at the time, and then magically "police sources" say that he was too drunk to talk? Doubtful...

There is a big difference between Jewish NYers and these Orthodox Hasidim. A huge difference.

I have a huge distrust in how the news are reported by the Daily News by their political slant expressed when delving into political events, or race related issues, to make the newspaper sell. The NY Post is even worse. It could be tall tales on many facts presented by the writers of the newspaper article to add sensationalism to the incident instead of just simply reporting the news. However with the recent NYPD scandals we cannot rule that out either, again being distortion of facts.

This is suspicious timing after all of that knockout game stuff and that politician saying it was due to rising tensions between Blacks and Jews in Brooklyn. I'm not saying this isn't true, and perhaps this is in response to the Knockout game, but I'm sure there is more to the story. 

This is suspicious timing after all of that knockout game stuff and that politician saying it was due to rising tensions between Blacks and Jews in Brooklyn. I'm not saying this isn't true, and perhaps this is in response to the Knockout game, but I'm sure there is more to the story. 

You do bring up a very good point. This very important aspect on this rash in recent incidents of tension between blacks and jews needs to be seriously considered.

You do bring up a very good point. This very important aspect on this rash in recent incidents of tension between blacks and jews needs to be seriously considered.

To be honest, I was surprised that that politician (I forget her name) got in so much trouble for her comments. Tensions in that area have never really recovered since the 90's, and with the economic downturn it really has gotten worse, from what I've read. She may have a point. 

The Hasidic community and the Afro American community alike are both at fault here in different ways if anyone can actually see this. It can get really deep as there is an obviously clear sense of historical lessons supposedly not learned from this assault also the knockout game incidents of sort Idiots involved on both fronts needs to realize you sometimes cannot fight fire with fire to bring  community collectively together. 

To be honest, I was surprised that that politician (I forget her name) got in so much trouble for her comments. Tensions in that area have never really recovered since the 90's, and with the economic downturn it really has gotten worse, from what I've read. She may have a point. 

The Afro American lady in local government. She is speaking the truth. The tensions exists. But many who are allof with there so called financial successes and prominence in local proceedings withing community districts and city hall are in denial over this fact again for many reasons i can write a term paper on if I had my time to do it. Which I may.

It can become very complicated as the belligerents on both sides makes it so. Makes me wonder when ppl can see to it to work in a spirit of neighborly love. I know why but I will refrain fro saying at this moment as we all know. It is what it is my brother. Werd.

As the saying goes the man of thinking ability is hated. This is so true.

The Hasidic community and the Afro American community alike are both at fault here in different ways if anyone can actually see this. It can get really deep as there is an obviously clear sense of historical lessons supposedly not learned from this assault also the knockout game incidents of sort Idiots involved on both fronts needs to realize you sometimes cannot fight fire with fire to bring  community collectively together. 

The Afro American lady in local government. She is speaking the truth. The tensions exists. But many who are allof with there so called financial successes and prominence in local proceedings withing community districts and city hall are in denial over this fact again for many reasons i can write a term paper on if I had my time to do it. Which I may.

It can become very complicated as the belligerents on both sides makes it so. Makes me wonder when ppl can see to it to work in a spirit of neighborly love. I know why but I will refrain fro saying at this moment as we all know. It is what it is my brother. Werd.

As the saying goes the man of thinking ability is hated. This is so true.

well stated

Its now reported that the perpetrators may have been a part of a neighborhood watch group, States Kelly, “A group with some sort of uniform jacket with a logo may have been involved,” However Kelly apparently omitted details that the attackers were members of the Williamsburg Shomrim, a neighborhood watch group which may have not have direct involvement in the attack. Yeah right. Excuses, excuses....

Even so, why would a bunch of Orthodox Jews be walking around in a pack like that?  It just doesn't make any sense.

Interesting... I wonder why they started the patrols? Rise in crime?

If the racial tensions between Jewish Americans and Afro Americans were abated after the Crown Heights riots this would not have been necessary. Think about things from this perspective.

In this case I fail to see how a black man walking through a Jewish residential neighborhood is a crime.

If the racial tensions between Jewish Americans and Afro Americans were abated after the Crown Heights riots this would not have been necessary. Think about things from this perspective.

Yeah but I don't see what Crown Heights has to do with Williamsburg. I never heard of racial tensions between Jews and Blacks in that area because for starters, there aren't many Blacks there.

Furthermore the excessive use of force is clearly uncalled for.

Yeah but I don't see what Crown Heights has to do with Williamsburg. I never heard of racial tensions between Jews and Blacks in that area because for starters, there aren't many Blacks there.

Exactly. So I guess the goal here is to keep the blacks out of their area, professional and astute students who are black and all. I dont recall Williamsburg being a sovereign entity working independently from NYC or NYS with the jurisdiction to create their own rules.

Furthermore the excessive use of force is clearly uncalled for.

Exactly. So I guess the goal here is to keep the blacks out of their area, professional and astute students who are black and all. I dont recall Williamsburg being a sovereign entity working independently from NYC or NYS with the jurisdiction to create their own rules.

My point is that is exactly why I'm surprised at this.  There aren't many Blacks there, hence no "tensions" to speak of unless there is something going on that I don't know about.  Besides, it's not like there aren't minorities there. Latinos have been there for years, so the whole thing makes no sense.

Williamsburg does have a big Puerto Rican section and there has been a rise in crime there. Also the Shomrim have been involved in questionable acts before like in Sheepshead Bay interfering in a police investigation. Both cops were black and Arab so the Shomrim called other cops. The first cops almost got arrested and that turned nasty.

My point is that is exactly why I'm surprised at this.  There aren't many Blacks there, hence no "tensions" to speak of unless there is something going on that I don't know about.  Besides, it's not like there aren't minorities there. Latinos have been there for years, so the whole thing makes no sense.

Because the native NYer black residents in general was pushed out of the area through the process of gentrification.

Because the native NYer black residents in general was pushed out of the area through the process of gentrification.

Not really.  That area has never had a high concentration of Blacks even before gentrification. The main people being pushed out were Latinos.  I worked in Williamsburg for a while during the gentrification period and there weren't many Blacks that I recall seeing.  Mainly Latinos. 

Not really.  That area has never had a high concentration of Blacks even before gentrification. The main people being pushed out were Latinos.  I worked in Williamsburg for a while during the gentrification period and there weren't many Blacks that I recall seeing.  Mainly Latinos.

Then I stand corrected on the demographics. After I did quick fact checking I have learned that the Latino American population were settling in the area since the very late 19th Century. Many of the old timer residents are in rent subsidized apartments today. Many real estate firms for gentrification are trying to collaborate with the landlords there to evict such ones so that they can rent the properties at much higher values.

Doesnt change the fact that according to the actions of the perpetrators that being black in a so called affluent neighborhood is not a crime last time I checked.

Then I stand corrected on the demographics. After I did quick fact checking I have learned that the Latino American population were settling in the area since the very late 19th Century. Many of the old timer residents are in rent subsidized apartments today. Many real estate firms for gentrification are trying to collaborate with the landlords there to evict such ones so that they can rent the properties at much higher values.

Doesnt change the fact that according to the actions of the perpetrators that being black in a so called affluent neighborhood is not a crime last time I checked.

lol @affluent neighborhood... Now that's funny... Only certain parts of Williamsburg could be considered "affluent".  The parts where the Jews are aren't really affluent.  It's the only neighborhood that I can think of where you'll see Jews living in the projects.  :lol:

The Jewish section is dirt poor, cause all the Hasidim have a ton of kids and often don't work. It's not an economic thing, it's just racism and homophobia. Black-Jewish relations have never been great, and this whole media-induced hysteria regarding "knockout" and some orthodox victims hasn't helped. Homophobia has always been present in the orthodox community, so that's no surprise. Let's just hope this is some isolated a**holery by some wannabe cops and not a larger issue. Regardless, these men should be punished for their hate crime, and that may actually be possible with that Hasidim-apologist Hynes finally out.

lol @affluent neighborhood... Now that's funny... Only certain parts of Williamsburg could be considered "affluent".  The parts where the Jews are aren't really affluent.  It's the only neighborhood that I can think of where you'll see Jews living in the projects.  :lol:

You know there was a saying in regards to Jews who historically used to live in the ghetto. They used to be the nation's 'model minority myth'. All being affluent when that is really not so, as many have to take advantage of HRA provisions just to survive, particularly the older ones. How today this applies to Asian Americans as a stereotype, once upon a time applied to Jews in an era where anti-semitism was high in 20th Century New York, which from my understanding was much worse then it is now among the older European ethnic communities that used to occupy many parts of classic NYC ghettos which has drastically changed since then.

Archived