FDNY Fire Academy graduates its most diverse class in its history - NY Daily News

realizm

fdny6n-2-web.jpg

FDNY Fire Academy graduates its most diverse class in its history Mayor Bloomberg said of the 242 probationary firefighters who graduated from the Fire Academy Thursday, four were women, 35 had military backgrounds and 62% were minorities. 'This is the way it's going to be in the future,' FDNY Commissioner Salvatore Cassano said, noting that 40% of the incoming students are minorities.

BY THOMAS TRACY / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 5, 2013, 2:59 PM
JEFF BACHNER FOR NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

242 probationary firefighters graduated from the Fire Academy at the FDNY Graduation Ceremony on Thursday.

The FDNY welcomed its most diverse class of firefighters ever into its ranks during a graduation ceremony in Brooklyn Thursday.

Mayor Bloomberg and FDNY Commissioner Salvatore Cassano shook the hands of each of the 242 probies as a packed house of friends and family cheered them on at the Christian Cultural Center in East New York.

Sixty-two percent of the graduating class are minorities, said Bloomberg. This is the second group of probationary firefighters to graduate this year.

With the addition of the new graduates, the number of minorities in the FDNY has doubled in the last 12 years, Bloomberg said.

"This diversity means that we are opening our doors to firefighters with a wide range of talents," Bloomberg said. "It's an essential strength of our city."

Bloomberg said that four of the new firefighters were women, 35 had military backgrounds and eight had FDNY family members who died in the line of duty — including class valedictorian Connor Geraghty, who lost his father, Chief Edward Geraghty, on 9/11.

"This has been a dream of mine since I was a little kid," said Geraghty, a fourth-generation firefighter.

Read more: Source

"This has been a dream of mine since I was a little kid," said Geraghty, a fourth-generation firefighter.

Mine as well. I used to know a black firefighter by the name of Mr. Fedrick in Pittsburg and I admired him because here he was a black fighter in the force, a captain at that over his predominantly white crew. I am not expressing insubordinate pride as a minority NYer from birth, but I will say there is some hope in this world for todays inner city youth. Forget the lawsuits, the FDNY is making fine progress with this defacto change in policy making for excellent PR. We can see firefighters serving New York, of a variety of ethnic groups serving us New Yorkers shoulder to shoulder. One thing I have noticed is that as much as I hate them the NYPD did the same thing with much success in terms of recruits. The FDNY is in the right direction here.

I don't see this as success at all.  By going out of their way and looking for minorities for these jobs, it's clear that they may not be hiring the best candidates.  I mean give me a break... Do we need to do an ethnic, racial or gender check every time someone is hired? Oh sorry... Not enough males in this office.  Not enough females in that office.  

Of course minorities can handle the job. Such is the case in healthcare and IT fields, and in the public sector such as the MTA. I can't understand where you are getting this from.

I didn't say that they can't but it has been said that minorities generally speaking weren't interested in joining the FDNY in the past, hence why their numbers in the field were low, so if that's the case then you can't force people to do something.  Now they've gone out like crazy and have probably doubled their effort to recruit minorities.  It's the equivalent of I don't have enough women or men in the office even if it's a field that not many women or men work in.

I didn't say that they can't but it has been said that minorities generally speaking weren't interested in joining the FDNY in the past, hence why their numbers in the field were low, so if that's the case then you can't force people to do something.  Now they've gone out like crazy and have probably doubled their effort to recruit minorities.  It's the equivalent of I don't have enough women or men in the office even if it's a field that not many women or men work in.

Then why the higher turnout of minority recruits in the FDNY as pointed out in the article?

Interestingly, I do remember reading one or two of the current Black FDNY firefighters who were upset that the test was changed to bring up scores of minority candidates, since it is easy to read that as a "dumbing down" of the test. It's a very thorny issue. I'm going to try to find that article now. 

Because the FDNY made an extra effort to go out and recruit minorities after so much crap was made out of it.

Well I guess I will go on to say that I've always supported the bringing in of more diversity where it comes to the agencies building a diverse workforce to serve New Yorkers as civil servants in whatever capacity. I never saw what the big deal was in regards to your arguement, no offense. Tests are just that, tests. It cannot make up for the experience gained from being in the field so it would not matter.

This is America you know.

Well I guess I will go on to say that I've always supported the bringing in of more diversity where it comes to the agencies building a diverse workforce to serve New Yorkers as civil servants in whatever capacity. I never saw what the big deal was in regards to your arguement, no offense. Tests are just that, tests. It cannot make up for the experience gained from being in the field so it would not matter.

This is America you know.

I just think people should be hired based on their qualifications, period.  When you start going out and purposely looking for certain groups of people then there's a problem.  How would you like it if someone who was less qualified was hired over you in the name of "more diversity"? That's precisely what this is.  It's like saying well there aren't enough females in the IT field, so even though realizm is more qualified, let's go out and search high and low for a female even if her qualifications aren't nearly as impressive and hire her instead.  It's ridiculous.  

I just think people should be hired based on their qualifications, period.  When you start going out and purposely looking for certain groups of people then there's a problem.  How would you like it if someone who was less qualified was hired over you in the name of "more diversity"? That's precisely what this is.  It's like saying well there aren't enough females in the IT field, so even though realizm is more qualified, let's go out and search high and low for a female even if her qualifications aren't nearly as impressive and hire her instead.  It's ridiculous.  

I'm sure there are many of minority backgrounds that can surpass qualifications. As for females and the IT field that is changing. I actually had a boss who is a network engineer. She is a female (a total bitch but...). The scene is changing. 

As for persons being overlooked in the hiring process based on gender or ethnicity, this plays well because that was exactly what was happening in the FDNY. 86% to 90% of the civil servant workforce were Caucasian. Yet a large percentage of New York comprises of persons who are non white American citizens who can take on the job. That does not sit well with me. 

If the NYPD or USPS were able to successfully diversify their force, then I would imagine it can work here in the FDNY.

I'm sure there are many of minority backgrounds that can surpass qualifications. As for females and the IT field that is changing. I actually had a boss who is a network engineer. She is a female (a total bitch but...). The scene is changing. 

As for persons being overlooked in the hiring process based on gender or ethnicity, this plays well because that was exactly what was happening in the FDNY. 86% to 90% of the civil servant workforce were Caucasian. Yet a large percentage of New York comprises of persons who are non white American citizens who can take on the job. That does not sit well with me. 

If the NYPD or USPS were able to successfully diversify their force, then I would imagine it can work here in the FDNY.

I don't think every field needs to be representative of the general population.  We should be hiring the best qualified candidates for each job, simple as that.  I wonder if you would have the same stance if the field was served mainly by minorities and there was a concerted effort made to look specifically for non-minorities for the position, even if they weren't as qualified.  

I don't think every field needs to be representative of the general population.  We should be hiring the best qualified candidates for each job, simple as that.  I wonder if you would have the same stance if the field was served mainly by minorities and there was a concerted effort made to look specifically for non-minorities for the position, even if they weren't as qualified.  

So from the contexts of your posts, minorities must have a sort of deficient dominant genetic trait that makes them substandard and inadept in almost every field of employment, which includes serving this city as firefighters. Which is a lie. You need to shake yourself out of that mentality.

If we have Africans in the healthcare field serving as nurses, males at that, saving lives for the betterment for the health of NY then I would imagine they can fulfill the firefighting role. What that tells me is that there is something seriously wrong with the FDNY screening process and it may be something that goes beyond mere tests. Which the FDNY seems to be making efforts to get a handle on to reform the screening process.

Like I said if the NYPD can do it so can the FDNY.

So from the contexts of your posts, minorities must have a sort of deficient dominant genetic trait that makes them substandard and inadept in almost every field of employment, which includes serving this city as firefighters. Which is a lie. You need to shake yourself out of that mentality.

If we have Africans in the healthcare field serving as nurses, males at that, saving lives for the betterment for the health of NY then I would imagine they can fulfill the firefighting role. What that tells me is that there is something seriously wrong with the FDNY screening process and it may be something that goes beyond mere tests. Which the FDNY seems to be making efforts to get a handle on to reform the screening process.

Like I said if the NYPD can do it so can the FDNY.

What it tells me is that somehow there is a problem if a field happens to be majority white, even though candidates are hired based on their qualifications.  That's the troubling part.  No one should have to go out and "hunt" for females or males or certain ethnic or racial backgrounds when these jobs are open to everyone.  It comes down to is whether or not people want to do certain jobs and if they don't well that's what it is.  There are cultural reasons as well as to why Irish-American and Italian-American males in particular have been interested in joining the FDNY because historically these were two ethnic groups that did these sorts of jobs.  The NBA is majority black and I don't see everyone up in arms about that.  Same thing with the NFL.  It's funny though that the MLB is majority Latino these days, and people are up in arms saying that there aren't enough blacks in the sport.  LOL Well whose fault is that? Most black youth that I talk to aren't interested in baseball and well that's perfectly fine.  If they like basketball or football well then that's what they're into and there shouldn't be this great push to force people into things that they aren't interested in just because one group is more interested in it than another.  

What it tells me is that somehow there is a problem if a field happens to be majority white, even though candidates are hired based on their qualifications.  That's the troubling part.  No one should have to go out and "hunt" for females or males or certain ethnic or racial backgrounds when these jobs are open to everyone.  It comes down to is whether or not people want to do certain jobs and if they don't well that's what it is.  There are cultural reasons as well as to why Irish-American and Italian-American males in particular have been interested in joining the FDNY because historically these were two ethnic groups that did these sorts of jobs.  The NBA is majority black and I don't see everyone up in arms about that.  Same thing with the NFL.  It's funny though that the MLB is majority Latino these days, and people are up in arms saying that there aren't enough blacks in the sport.  LOL Well whose fault is that? Most black youth that I talk to aren't interested in baseball and well that's perfectly fine.  If they like basketball or football well then that's what they're into and there shouldn't be this great push to force people into things that they aren't interested in just because one group is more interested in it than another.  

Well looking through your post, what I will say in return is that I dont entertain workforce related racial segregation which is why I support this move on the part of the FDNY. That is definitely not the American way in an age of international commerce political cooperation and trade.

Well looking through your post, what I will say in return is that I dont entertain workforce related racial segregation which is why I support this move on the part of the FDNY. That is definitely not the American way in an age of international commerce political cooperation and trade.

LOL... So I suppose you consider the fact Latinos are the majority in the MLB to be "racial segregation"...  :lol: Same thing with the NBA and NFL, since those are majority black sports.  I just wonder if you have the same issue with the ethnic composition of the people that play the aforementioned sports as you do with those who work with the FDNY.

LOL... So I suppose you consider the fact Latinos are the majority in the MLB to be "racial segregation"...  :lol: Same thing with the NBA and NFL, since those are majority black sports.  I just wonder if you have the same issue with the ethnic composition of the people that play the aforementioned sports as you do with those who work with the FDNY.

I was referring to the FDNY and other city agencies. That's my focus.

If you say so but really, its not exactly that cut and dry.

According to your position that seems to be the case.  If the FDNY has to be so "diversified", then so should the NBA, NFL, and everything else that is as you put it "racially segregated" and not representative of America.  I personally have no problem with it, but that's my point.  Latinos are drawn to baseball because of cultural reasons.  Same thing with the NFL and the NBA and blacks.  Same thing with the FDNY and Irish and Italian-Americans, and I don't see any crime with any field being a majority of one ethnicity unless people are being turned away because of their background.  If that isn't going on then there's nothing wrong with it.

According to your position that seems to be the case.  If the FDNY has to be so "diversified", then so should the NBA, NFL, and everything else that is as you put it "racially segregated" and not representative of America.  I personally have no problem with it, but that's my point.  Latinos are drawn to baseball because of cultural reasons.  Same thing with the NFL and the NBA and blacks.  Same thing with the FDNY and Irish and Italian-Americans, and I don't see any crime with any field being a majority of one ethnicity unless people are being turned away because of their background.  If that isn't going on then there's nothing wrong with it.

Once upon the time up until the 1950's at least the NFL and NBA was in fact segregated. Of all the teams we only had about 1 black sports player per team respectively, in both agencies. The Brown vs Dept of Education trial indirectly changed that for the better.

During that time during the 1950's the coaches started to embrace Afro American culture in sports. However it was not until 1964 through the Civil Rights act that the ban on whites and blacks mingling on public grounds were put to a screaming halt and by federal law desegregate sports entertainment. The rest is history.

That is one of the many reasons why we see such diversity today in the sports arenas. 

Once upon the time up until the 1950's at least the NFL and NBA was in fact segregated. Of all the teams we only had about 1 black sports player per team respectively, in both agencies. The Brown vs Dept of Education trial indirectly changed that for the better.

During that time during the 1950's the coaches started to embrace Afro American culture in sports. However it was not until 1964 through the Civil Rights act that the ban on whites and blacks mingling on public grounds were put to a screaming halt and by federal law desegregate sports entertainment. The rest is history.

That is one of the many reasons why we see such diversity today in the sports arenas. 

I'm aware of it, but now you have the total opposite spectrum occurring...

I'm aware of it, but now you have the total opposite spectrum occurring...

Not necessarily, since you chose to bring up the NFL and the NBA into this discussion. There is a parallel to be drawn however. Either way segregation was a problem due to the bigoted majority in government also in franchises in the case of sports. It needed to be dealt with. The FDNY is the latest agency in this aspect to take a hint that they need to reform their hiring process.

You mentioned that the FDNY is traditionally Irish and Italian. While that is true as the communities has been settled in NYC for as long as even my parents can remember, this is a city agency that must follow equal opportunity laws. Cultural tradition does not apply. No ifs ands buts about it. If we can have a black president, then I think the FDNY can focus on training more minority recruits. Whatever you want to call it, affirmative action and such, is not my concern, no offense. 

Fair is fair.

Equal opportunity in the fire service is bullsh*t. How about the best candidate for the job gets the job based on the set standards and not lowering standards for the sake of inclusion. I don't care who comes to save me or my family when my house is on fire as long as it's the best possible person for the job, not someone who got it based on the color of their skin. 

Yet there continues to be a disproportionate rate of persons of different backgrounds serving in the force and its been talked about for years on end. About time something is done about it.

As for color of skin determining who qualifies, isnt that the problem in the first place?

We have a diversified workforce in the MTA, is that a bad thing? So that cannot be carried into the FDNY? I dont see anything wrong with that. No need to color monopolize a traditional field.

Archived