FDNY Fire Academy graduates its most diverse class in its history - NY Daily News

realizm

Read the article. Its really sad how race has to play a part in everything we do. What a f**ked up country. But it is what is, ain't stopping me from what I have to do to succeed. I'm sure many feel the same way albeit with different viewpoints on this situation discussed.

There are alot of people in the MTA workforce of all colors and nationalities that operate trains, dispatch at stations, repair infrastructure, hit the work locomotives and so forth. Millions of ppl are are entrusted in their hands. It is a very stressful job and respected skilled trade. All American, plenty of blacks in higher positions making the system work along with their collegues of other nationalities They are doing well.

Many in healthcare and IT is a diverse workforce. They are doing well.

NYPD is including diversity in their force. Seems to be good PR.

FDNY is beginning the steps. Its the 21st century get with the times.

There are alot of people in the MTA workforce of all colors and nationalities that operate trains, dispatch at stations, repair infrastructure, hit the work locomotives and so forth. Millions of ppl are are entrusted in their hands. It is a very stressful job and respected skilled trade. All American, plenty of blacks in higher positions making the system work along with their collegues of other nationalities They are doing well.

You really like keep dragging the race card into this story eh!

You really like keep dragging the race card into this story eh!

Race card? Wow. Are you insulting my intelligence? That is so played out.

Do realize that we live in a multicultural nation and not living in the 1950's under the Jim Crow laws. Society has progressed since then I'd imagine in terms of race relations. We live in a multicultural city.

You missed the point or denying the point more likely. If blacks and latinos as well as Asians can handle dangerous and safety sensitive jobs in the MTA or NYPD, work as EMTs and RNs and doctors, then they can do it in the FDNY. I'm sure there are many of color that is qualified and can do the job. In other states we have plenty of black firefighters, I've been around. New York seems to be the only exception. That obviously needs to change.

Race card? Wow. Are you insulting my intelligence? That is so played out.

Do realize that we live in a multicultural nation and not living in the 1950's under the Jim Crow laws. Society has progressed since then I'd imagine in terms of race relations. We live in a multicultural city.

You missed the point or denying the point more likely. If blacks and latinos as well as Asians can handle dangerous and safety sensitive jobs in the MTA or NYPD, work as EMTs and RNs and doctors, then they can do it in the FDNY. I'm sure there are many of color that is qualified and can do the job. In other states we have plenty of black firefighters, I've been around. New York seems to be the only exception. That obviously needs to change.

All we're saying is that the best candidates should be hired and there is nothing wrong with it if every field isn't filled with minorities.  There are plenty of fields that have a high percentage of minorities in them and very few whites and you don't seem to have a problem with that, so I'm not seeing the problem here.  Quite frankly if they have to keep dulling down the FDNY tests just to attract certain candidates then we don't need them.  If my apartment is burning down I don't care if the guy is green.  I want him to be qualified, period.

All we're saying is that the best candidates should be hired and there is nothing wrong with it if every field isn't filled with minorities.  There are plenty of fields that have a high percentage of minorities in them and very few whites and you don't seem to have a problem with that, so I'm not seeing the problem here.  Quite frankly if they have to keep dulling down the FDNY tests just to attract certain candidates then we don't need them.  If my apartment is burning down I don't care if the guy is green.  I want him to be qualified, period.

Understood, you are entitled to your opinion. But what my point is that all men are created equal. Persons of color can handle the job of firefighters and excel. Its been proven. The disportionate rates in the force raises red flags. As to why? I doubt its because minorities can't handle the life entrusting responsibility of saving lives. I stated twice why to a tee, and I know you mused on it which is good.

There is something internal that the FDNY is trying to fix. Let it be, know what I mean? But some are still in the 20th century they need to break out of that mentality. Its not like this in other states the firefighting force is very diverse. Its time the FDNY catches on to this, taking a hint from say the NYPD who now indeed have a very culturally diverse force to serve the public and protect.

Understood, you are entitled to your opinion. But what my point is that all men are created equal. Persons of color can handle the job of firefighters and excel. Its been proven. The disportionate rates in the force raises red flags. As to why? I doubt its because minorities can't handle the life entrusting responsibility of saving lives. I stated twice why to a tee, and I know you mused on it which is good.

There is something internal that the FDNY is trying to fix. Let it be, know what I mean? But some are still in the 20th century they need to break out of that mentality. Its not like this in other states the firefighting force is very diverse. Its time the FDNY catches on to this, taking a hint from say the NYPD who now indeed have a very culturally diverse force to serve the public and protect.

Yeah well we've discussed that point before and the fact is some jobs depend on cultural factors. For example, there are very few blacks in the language field?  Why? Because they're just not interested in that.  It's not always about racism.  Sometimes it's cultural too.  

Yeah well we've discussed that point before and the fact is some jobs depend on cultural factors. For example, there are very few blacks in the language field?  Why? Because they're just not interested in that.  It's not always about racism.  Sometimes it's cultural too.  

What does this have to do with firefighters who obviously know universal words like everyone else?

Really if your assumption is that not all blacks know foreign languages oh please post source please and i will break it down.

What does this have to do with firefighters who obviously know universal words like everyone else?

Really if your assumption is that not all blacks know foreign languages oh please post source please and i will break it down.

It has plenty to do with it.  As I said before, it's also cultural.  Some groups are drawn to certain jobs more than others and that's just the way it is.  It has nothing to do with blacks not knowing foreign languages.  They're just not into the scene, period and that's their choice, so to yell racism every time there isn't "X" group and "Y" group in a field doesn't make any sense.

It has plenty to do with it.  As I said before, it's also cultural.  Some groups are drawn to certain jobs more than others and that's just the way it is.  It has nothing to do with blacks not knowing foreign languages.  They're just not into the scene, period and that's their choice, so to yell racism every time there isn't "X" group and "Y" group in a field doesn't make any sense.

I guess it is cultural you are correct. This is why it is cultural and that things need to change if the rest of NY is changing (btw you brought up foriegn languages not me

Source: 

1) http://www.citylimits.org/news/articles/4773/hope-skepticism-for-fdny-s-blacks-amid-push-to-diversify#.Uq-GbvRDuvw

2) http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-03-27/blacks-lose-when-whites-help-whites-get-jobs

3) http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20100114/manhattan/judge-rules-fdny-intentionally-discriminated-against-blacks

":Another speaker, Donald Tomaskovic-Devey, presented evidence that progress in reducing workplace segregation between white men and black men in the private sector has been essentially zero since around 1980. He and fellow sociologist Kevin Stainback analyzed data from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission for a 2012 book, Documenting Desegregation. “Progress is uneven and local,” Tomaskovic-Devey told reporters."

"At roughly 3 percent black, 6 percent Hispanic, 1 percent Asian and less than 1 percent female, the FDNY is the only major New York City agency that has failed to diversify and the only big-city fire department in this country still displaying an overwhelmingly white status. The Los Angeles Fire Department is 14 percent black. Dallas's is 18.1 percent. One in five Chicago firefighters and more than a quarter of Philadelphia's are black."

“These examinations unfairly excluded hundreds of qualified black applicants from the opportunity to serve as New York City firefighters," Garaufis wrote in his decision. "Today, the court holds that New York City’s use of these examinations constitutes a pattern and practice of intentional discrimination against blacks.”

I would imagine something is indeed wrong there is a reason for it and why it needs to be fixed. I can be patient but I'm not going to deny facts. When I debate I provide facts. truth. And where's my source?

I do not believe one race has have 'special genes' that makes them superior. Incorrect we live in a segregated system .I always believe we all bleed red. Unbelieveable what I am hearing.

Oh for the love of God, shut the hell up you two. How many threads are you two going to continue to sidetrack with this back and forth about race? Every time a thread worth discussing is made, it's closed because someone has to bring race into it. This is bullshit and unfair to everyone. I want you two to know that. 

Oh for the love of God, shut the hell up you two. How many threads are you two going to continue to sidetrack with this back and forth about race? Every time a thread worth discussing is made, it's closed because someone has to bring race into it. This is bullshit and unfair to everyone. I want you two to know that.

You tell me? I didn't create the scarred situation we see in NYC? Don't kill the messenger. I didn't create the socioeconomic problem. Scream at the elitists, the government, the trolls at stormfront.org and the tea aligned not me. Real talk.

Edit; We know each other so I'll try to be nice about it and disregard your statement. I loled. But see to it that the problem exists, whether people are in denial or not is not my problem. I didnt create the system and dont kill the messenger if you got the hint.

Now if anyone wishes to take the discussion further, all points has been made, otherwise on to the next thread.

You're right it isn't your problem that some are in denial, but you know what? Let them live in denial. How many times have you gotten your point across  on any thread here and some of these dipshits ignore it? It's a revolving door dude.

They're not going to listen, so screw them. I already told some of these guys they can go f**k themselves. Not telling you what to do or anything, since I don't have that right, but at some point it's just not worth the time or effort to deal with some users here. 

You're right it isn't your problem that some are in denial, but you know what? Let them live in denial. How many times have you gotten your point across  on any thread here and some of these dipshits ignore it? It's a revolving door dude.

They're not going to listen, so screw them. I already told some of these guys they can go f**k themselves. Not telling you what to do or anything, since I don't have that right, but at some point it's just not worth the time or effort to deal with some users here.

Wholeheartedly agree. It can get fustrating being ridiculed for telling it for what it is. +1.

As with all else this week I'm horribly late on the pressing issues, but in my conscious I can not allow this thread to burnout abruptly as it is now.

First of all, congratulations on the part of FDNY for not only hosting such a diverse class, but also for acknowledgement of it. That alone shows the new direction and a great one at that.

Next, in response to no one in particular I see that many choose to remain clinging onto aged stagnant views, reflective of views and general perception of decades past. Not for nothing but those who do will fall out of the status quo in short time. May this serve as a solace for the progressives who need not refute further with those ignorant of or otherwise unwilling to understand.

Thank You!

I'm not the one that brought race into it nor did I create the thread, so why don't you learn how to read before you comment.  

I'm not the one that brought race into it nor did I create the thread, so why don't you learn how to read before you comment.  

I already know how to read. Plus who cares who made the thread, nothing to do with anything. Fact is most of the threads you post on, somehow goes off track. 

I already know how to read. Plus who cares who made the thread, nothing to do with anything. Fact is most of the threads you post on, somehow goes off track. 

Apparently you care. Funny how others posted similar sentiments in this thread, yet I'm the one who is bringing it off track. Please.  Do me a favor... If you don't like what I have to say, just don't read it.  Simple as that.  Don't worry... This place is turning into exactly what you want... A bunch of people who all agree with each other... Notice that people who have differing views on this site rarely post anymore.  Sad but true.

Archived