Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Akira

Entry-level clerical/office/customer service type of job with NYC Transit or LIRR?

How hard is it to find the background type of jobs with these agencies, or anything within the MTA for that matter? The employment site on the MTA's website is vague, it only seems to have higher wage jobs that require more experience, but I'm hoping to find something entry-level because I want to get in.

Does this type of stuff just fill out that quickly? Or is it the employment site? It doesn't seem like their website for applying is very efficient, call me crazy but when I fill it out and submit it doesn't feel like I've applied for anything like I do with other basic job application sites.

Should I maybe reach out and call someone? I get the feeling that 99.99% of the time I'm just going to be told to apply online.

IMHO, very hard. The reason why is because most of the job postings not only look for people who have a minimum of one year full-time experience, but also those who match all of the desired skills as well.

Are you still in school (undergraduate/graduate)? If so, then maybe you can look into doing an internship with NYC Transit to get your foot in the door (https://efixmetrocard.mtanyct.info/internshiponline/login.aspx). Keep in mind also that NYC Transit (and probably the LIRR as well) are not really looking for people who just want entry-level experience. Rather, they are looking for people who will devote most of their life (like 30 or 40 years) to the organization.

No, I've graduated with a Bachelor's in Graphic Design. Thing is it doesn't necessarily have to be something in an office, I think I'd love being a conductor too. It's an interest of mine and I want a job doing something I love, so unless I get in and somehow ending up really hating it, I'd want to get in and stay in. I just can't figure out how one gets in in the first place.

EDIT - While we're at it, I could ask the same thing about NICE. The only job posting I see for them is bus driver. While positions of bus driver/train engineer/etc. are the most obvious, I just don't have nearly enough confidence to do something like that.

Edited by Akira

Sorry for the double post, for whatever reason I can't find the edit button again.

I did go ahead and apply for some jobs on the MTA's website, stuff like Graphic Artist, Staff Analyst, etc. I even submitted a general application for any job that basically said 'Here's my information, consider me for anything' and figured I could be matched up with something that way. I hate sitting and waiting though, is there someone I could reach out and call to ask questions, get brought a little to the forefront? Maybe through 511?

Sorry for posting on this so much, I'm just job hungry and it would be very exciting for me to work for the MTA in some sort of administrative capacity.

No, I've graduated with a Bachelor's in Graphic Design. Thing is it doesn't necessarily have to be something in an office, I think I'd love being a conductor too. It's an interest of mine and I want a job doing something I love, so unless I get in and somehow ending up really hating it, I'd want to get in and stay in. I just can't figure out how one gets in in the first place.

EDIT - While we're at it, I could ask the same thing about NICE. The only job posting I see for them is bus driver. While positions of bus driver/train engineer/etc. are the most obvious, I just don't have nearly enough confidence to do something like that.

For a Conductor Job you'd have to apply to take a civi service exam for the job, when the test becomes availible. The MTA usually posts it's exam schedules for 6 months in advance, so you have to continually check the site to see the exam schedules. Generally civil service exams are given every 5 years, with the last exam for this title being held in 2008. So very possibly the exam could be given in 2014, but it's already a year off schedule, so it's impossible to predict.

How hard is it to find the background type of jobs with these agencies, or anything within the MTA for that matter? The employment site on the MTA's website is vague, it only seems to have higher wage jobs that require more experience, but I'm hoping to find something entry-level because I want to get in.

I have a former colleague of mine who made it into the IT department within the MTA. He had a bachelors degree in Computer Science which I dont have since I am in Nursing seeking a career change. I did have my A+ , Net + and MS MCTS with 5 years experience in IT helpdesk but they are strict on IT bachelor degree requirements. They will most likely start you off with an internship then hire you if the IT dept managers in the MTA are satisfied.

If I were you get the certifications and start a bachelors in computer science. If you are interested PM me and I can give you a possible lead to look into, you can try, worth a shot.