Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
blackzima

Criminal record and NYCTA employment

I have a criminal record (fraud, misdemeanor, probation, no jail time, 11 years ago). I've got a Certificate of Relief from court which grants a relief from ban to employment. Is this record gonna be a problem for me to get a job in NYCTA as a bus operator? Is anybody familiar with this situation? Thanks.

U might have a problem. I know someone off the 2613 exam still waiting to hear back from mta due to his criminal record.

I have a criminal record (fraud, misdemeanor, probation, no jail time, 11 years ago). I've got a Certificate of Relief from court which grants a relief from ban to employment. Is this record gonna be a problem for me to get a job in NYCTA as a bus operator? Is anybody familiar with this situation? Thanks.

No, it is against the law for the MTA to use your criminal history against you during the hiring process. As long as you have a solid work history, you should be fine. I remember reading a story in the post about a guy who robbed a bank while employed by the NYPD. He got caught and did 11 years in prison. He is now a bus driver out of Jackie Gleason bus depot. If they hired him, you should have no problems...

No, it is against the law for the MTA to use your criminal history against you during the hiring process. As long as you have a solid work history, you should be fine. I remember reading a story in the post about a guy who robbed a bank while employed by the NYPD. He got caught and did 11 years in prison. He is now a bus driver out of Jackie Gleason bus depot. If they hired him, you should have no problems...

Just a mere tech in the IT field lurking around, not usually here, but listen to Blitz this is the case with many city agencies or corporations, private or public. Besides with a misdemeanor your record can be sealed in one year. Hes right, labor laws in effect here. Just be honest on the application. Its not a felony I dont see in my experiences being in the IT public sector for a long time how that will necessarily stop you from getting the position. 

The more I think about this I would not be worried about this at all. 

Edited by realizm

I have a 10 year old felony and I work for transit as a train operator. Be truthful, have disposition papers for every conviction and you'll be fine. good luck

• Upvote 1

I have a 10 year old felony and I work for transit as a train operator. Be truthful, have disposition papers for every conviction and you'll be fine. good luck

Thanks. I hope now its not gonna be a huge problem for me but i still can fail with small ones. )

you should mention everything on public record. Period.   If you disclose fully, they will not hold against you. Hide something and they find it, you're done.

This is good to hear as I have a misdemeanor from 2012 that was sealed after a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it possible to seal a conviction in NY? As I know you cannot do it. (

Is it possible to seal a conviction in NY? As I know you cannot do it. (

Yeah my lawyer said it's sealed but I'm thinking I should mention it just to be safe. A career with the MTA is too important to me to screw it up over something minor.

Yeah my lawyer said it's sealed but I'm thinking I should mention it just to be safe. A career with the MTA is too important to me to screw it up over something minor.

Check this out http://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/criminal-law/arrests_and_searches/overview-of-expunging-clearing-your-criminal-record-in-new-york-state.htm

i have a DUI since aug 2010, i went thru the whole process in july 2014 even to the drug test to get a call back telling me i have to reinstate my name back on the list for august 2015 due to my dui , it takes 5 years for it to be cleared with MTA in my case

I know someone who is going for station agent. He is HIV positive, it is under control with medication but he claims it is confidential information and therefore thinks he does not need to disclose it to the MTA. I know it isn't a criminal thing but it is something that fits along the lines of what does and does not need to be disclosed to get the job. How does that work?

On 2/18/2015 at 1:50 PM, tprashad0719 said:

i have a DUI since aug 2010, i went thru the whole process in july 2014 even to the drug test to get a call back telling me i have to reinstate my name back on the list for august 2015 due to my dui , it takes 5 years for it to be cleared with MTA in my case

What happend with your situation? I know it was 4 years ago but I’m in a similar situation. I’m starting the testing process for block operator. I received a misdemeanor Dwi 4 years ago. Any advice ? @tprashad0719