Why Do B/O's Drive So Slow Nowadays?

TeeLow

I used to be a frequent rider of the B6, 41, 44 & 46 lines. I loved it when I'd get on any of those lines because there was a better than 80% chance the B/O would put his foot deep in the engine's a$$. I'd hate it when I got an old 'Driving Miss Daisy' B/O moving like he was operating a Manhattan tourist excursion. About 3-4 years ago I noticed there was a disease spreading. It's called 'Don't Crush That Egg btn Your Foot & the Gas Pedal' syndrome. It spread from route to route. Started in Manhattan and quickly spread throughout Brooklyn (and I'm assuming throughout the rest of. WTH happended? BO's used to cowboy up on their routes. Now they all been corralled. Driving in my ride is no picnic stuck behind one of them slow moving vehicles. MTA should put warning signs on the back of every one of them...you know, those orange triangles indicating these vehicles move slow. Don't matter if it's LTD or LCL.

At least the B103 still flies. Caught that bad boy from the junction. I looked down to read the paper. I looked up and I was past my stop! lol

What happened?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you. Bus drivers are moving slow. They say its to stay on schedule...well mta should fix up the schedules to allow buses to move faster because having a bus move at 15mph holds up traffic. Some places the B/Os move but im not going to put them on the spot. Just need to know where to catch them.

I agree with you. Bus drivers are moving slow. They say its to stay on schedule...well mta should fix up the schedules to allow buses to move faster because having a bus move at 15mph holds up traffic. Some places the B/Os move but im not going to put them on the spot. Just need to know where to catch them.

I imagine the problem is that they put a bit too much emergency padding into the schedules for the 1-in-100 crap situations.

Queens is still a very fast ride if you're not in Flushing or Jamaica (because the moment you get past Franklin or Holly in Flushing or Francis Lewis in Jamaica, everything goes to s***)

Kidding me? The 44 local still flies whenever it has the chance.  But I guess it comes to traffic all together.

Brotha it ain't got spit to do with traffic. It can be 11AM on a Tuesday morn and they're moseying along like they'll be fired at the end of their run. Bus after bus.

It might have something to do with scheds. I caught a B47 from Rutland. B/O never went above 15 the whole time I was on the bus.

I imagine the problem is that they put a bit too much emergency padding into the schedules for the 1-in-100 crap situations.

Queens is still a very fast ride if you're not in Flushing or Jamaica (because the moment you get past Franklin or Holly in Flushing or Francis Lewis in Jamaica, everything goes to s***)

Well whatever the reason it sure annoyed the hell out of me back then. When I'm driving in Manhattan it seems like every NB, SB and X-town line  is doing their best to stay below 20 mph. I tell you it's a conspiracy! :rolleyes:

Our job is not about speed its about picking you up and getting you to your destination safely Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

So what are you saying? The MTA put out a mandate that operators on certain lines can go at 30+ mph but because of safety concerns some runs must operate under 20 mph?

Here's a perfect example. All the buses on Lexington and 3rd Avenues travel slow. I mean they CRAWL. On 3rd it's not so bad because it's 5 wide, but on Lexington it's excruciating, especially above 97th St because it's only 2 wide.

It's not certain drivers on certain lines. The majority of operators have reduced their speed on the lines I mentioned above and on other lines I've had the displeasure of driving behind when the opportunity to pass isn't there.

Your answer is dubious at best. No disrespect.

The B2 and B31 especially on weekends will go quite fast. Not sure about the B100, but I think it's similar on that block.

I can't speak to those lines because I've never rode them regularly, but it would seem there's a speed restriction on some lines yet not on others.

A little story; back in the early 70s I would visit my grandmoms on the weekends about 10 times a year. She lived on Manhattan Ave btn 111th and Cathedral across from Morningside Park. I loved to catch the 7 and ride down to Union Sq and xfer to the 6 to SF. On the way back I had to ride the 6 to CPS to xfer back to the 7. 6 ran so slow sometimes two 7's would pass us along the way. I HATED the slow a$$ 6 but I loved the speedy 7. Flash forward 40 years and there sure seems to be more '6's' out there than '7's'.

What I don't like...is when a bus catches up to a bus that is jammed pack...the driver of the second bus has like 8 standees plus full seats and the B/O tries to stay behind him instead of passing him...then when the time came, that the B/O had to pass him...he realized that the bus in front was jammed packed...then took off for the rest of the route..and replaced the other guys run going the other way..while the other guy that was in front took his spot going to other way. 

In my opinion...when buses bunch...just go..there's a reason why you caught up...he/she is dealing with a packed bus. 

I'm not noticing buses moving any more slower overall, system-wide..... If that's the overall point of the post....

Our job is not about speed its about picking you up and getting you to your destination safely.....

It's as simple as this....

Just saying, I'd prefer my bus to come late than early. 

...or, as the saying goes - Better late than never  :D

What I don't like...is when a bus catches up to a bus that is jammed pack...the driver of the second bus has like 8 standees plus full seats and the B/O tries to stay behind him instead of passing him...then when the time came, that the B/O had to pass him...he realized that the bus in front was jammed packed...

....then took off for the rest of the route..and replaced the other guys run going the other way..while the other guy that was in front took his spot going to other way. 

First part of the post, Leader/Follower scenario is what you're describing.....

Second part of the post, I'm not sure why any passenger would even care about this, let alone not like when that happens... lol.....

I'm not noticing buses moving any more slower overall, system-wide..... If that's the overall point of the post....

It's as simple as this....

...or, as the saying goes - Better late than never  :D

First part of the post, Leader/Follower scenario is what you're describing.....

Second part of the post, I'm not sure why any passenger would even care about this, let alone not like when that happens... lol.....

LOL...since i get off at the last stop...that was just my little observation, he u-turned and continued the route...

LOL...since i get off at the last stop...that was just my little observation, he u-turned and continued the route...

No, I get what you're sayin.... I'm not implicating it doesn't happen (I'll go as far as to say that's prone to happening on the vast majority of our (meaning, NYC) routes more commonly than the both of us might think).....

I've noticed on the Lex and third Ave bus lines in the city, most B/O's will wait at a yellow light for it to cycle to get a fresh green. I don't take those buses more than 15 blocks because they are too damn slow compared to the subway. 

Yup.... Over the years, I've noticed this in manhattan on locals & (some) expresses buses.... Usually in Midtown (lower manhattan, somewhat of a different story)....

Crosstowns or north/south routes (including the lex lines)..... Especially during the PM hrs....

I'm assuming it's to (try to) keep buses moving as best as possible (logic being, by time the next green hits, the traffic that was in front of the bus at the yellow would be a couple light(s) ahead).... Of course, this goes all out the window (the notion of subsiding traffic, that is) if the bus is at a major intersection where you have mad vehicles turning onto the same street in the same direction the bus is operating up/down.....

I know you're just pointing it out, but I still wanna make the point that I'd rather have op's do that, than op's that blow through yellow's to only end up behind some other bus, or some stinkin cab..... I have long noticed this on the expresses (SI's & BK's) in lower manhattan.... When I used to take the BM1/2 home, that was definitely an occurrence on multiple occasions.....

No, I get what you're sayin.... I'm not implicating it doesn't happen (I'll go as far as to say that's prone to happening on the vast majority of our (meaning, NYC) routes more commonly than the both of us might think).....

Yup.... Over the years, I've noticed this in manhattan on locals & (some) expresses buses.... Usually in Midtown (lower manhattan, somewhat of a different story)....

Crosstowns or north/south routes (including the lex lines)..... Especially during the PM hrs....

I'm assuming it's to (try to) keep buses moving as best as possible (logic being, by time the next green hits, the traffic that was in front of the bus at the yellow would be a couple light(s) ahead).... Of course, this goes all out the window (the notion of subsiding traffic, that is) if the bus is at a major intersection where you have mad vehicles turning onto the same street in the same direction the bus is operating up/down.....

I know you're just pointing it out, but I still wanna make the point that I'd rather have op's do that, than op's that blow through yellow's to only end up behind some other bus, or some stinkin cab..... I have long noticed this on the expresses (SI's & BK's) in lower manhattan.... When I used to take the BM1/2 home, that was definitely an occurrence on multiple occasions.....

There's too many new & inexperienced bus drivers out there now. Only the "old school" veteran drivers know how to make time. Unfortunately they're a dying breed.

What I don't like...is when a bus catches up to a bus that is jammed pack...the driver of the second bus has like 8 standees plus full seats and the B/O tries to stay behind him instead of passing him...then when the time came, that the B/O had to pass him...he realized that the bus in front was jammed packed...then took off for the rest of the route..and replaced the other guys run going the other way..while the other guy that was in front took his spot going to other way. 

In my opinion...when buses bunch...just go..there's a reason why you caught up...he/she is dealing with a packed bus. 

This happens very frequently on very peak-heavy routes where there's one massive pickup location or several midway, like 179th/Hillside on the Q43.

I assume the logic is that since the overloaded direction has already gone to s***, they should still try and provide regular service in the opposite direction. Imagine if you had to wait longer to make a reverse commute bus trip just because the peak direction was bunched as hell; most MTA growth in ridership has been non-peak travel, so that would be very bad.

When I was going through ATC school my instructors would always intimate to me that the airlines flew faster or slower based on their profits. Sure enough when I dispatched we would often fly at economy speed due to budget issues...possible correlation?

Archived