Subway Etiquette

Broad St. Belle

So I don't know if this has been discussed here before, but I recently watched a video that consisted of people on the subway being questioned about random subjects and I thought it would be cool to share thoughts and get a list going on "Subway Etiquette".

I'll start:

1. Please exercise good estimation skills prior to sitting. (i.e if it looks like you have to "squeeze" and do (what I like to call) the "worm squirm" please wait for another seat.

2. Don't be a slider and a leaner. (If your hand starts to sweat slide down the pole; please wipe them and stop touching my hand forcing me move my hand all over the pole AND don't lean your body against the pole because a) I need to hold on too and B) you're forcing the pole go "in between" certain areas and that's just nasty).

3. Be considerate. (I know you just got a new Coach bag (ladies) or briefcase (men) and you don't want to place it on the floor, but I've been in heels for 8hrs. and I need to sit; so please move your bag)

Your turn :)

1. Do not stare @ me when I am recording.

2. Please take a shower atleast once a day, and apply deoderant, I ain't talking about cheap Speed Stick.

3. If you sweating, DO NOT APPLY COLOGNE. Going in the train smelling like sweet funk...

:)

2. Please take a shower atleast once a day, and apply deoderant, I ain't talking about cheap Speed Stick.

3. If you sweating, DO NOT APPLY COLOGNE. Going in the train smelling like sweet funk...

Those are good! Now, the next person should start with #7 to see how far the list goes B)

ok here's some of my subway wisdom...

MOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT STAND IN GROUPS OF 1000 BLOCKING THE STAIRS AND DOOR OF THE TRAIN !!

please lol especially the tourists i can't stand them their in groups of like 1000 and they block the stairs, and its not really helpful when im running down the stairs trying to get the R train which won't come in another like 1/2 hour...

I'll think of some in a minute, but just to comment on Orion's post.... Dude you know some people don't believe in deoderant!!!!B)

7. Don't bring bikes on the train especially during rush hours.

8. If you're tired, it's okay to fall asleep... just not on the person next to you

9. Never take pictures of a person sleep or doing something abnormal on the train (I had to stop a guy from killing a tourist one day on the (E))

10. Don't stare at me in general, just say something before I get mad.

11. If I'm sleep, don't wake me up to have a conversation or ask me how I can sleep on the train.

12. Don't block a seat (just because you decide not to sit doesn't mean no one else will want to sit)

13. This one was a life lesson gained on the (1) train. If you decide to go crazy on the train and curse people out please don't look to someone of your ethnic background for support. Just because you had a lapse of judgement doesn't mean I'll aid you and don't curse me out when I ignore you.

8. If you're tired, it's okay to fall asleep... just not on the person next to you

9. Never take pictures of a person sleep or doing something abnormal on the train (I had to stop a guy from killing a tourist one day on the (E))

10. Don't stare at me in general, just say something before I get mad.

11. If I'm sleep, don't wake me up to have a conversation or ask me how I can sleep on the train.

12. Don't block a seat (just because you decide not to sit doesn't mean no one else will want to sit)

13. This one was a life lesson gained on the (1) train. If you decide to go crazy on the train and curse people out please don't look to someone of your ethnic background for support. Just because you had a lapse of judgement doesn't mean I'll aid you and don't curse me out when I ignore you.

Excellent subway etiquette there....I like the sound of that

People have a right to bring bikes with them be it on a train, subway, or bus if it has a rack for it. Many messengers and others use a bike to get around between subway stops & for work. As a person who bikes instead of drives i gotta disagree with this one.

However i do have stuff to add!

Leave your loud cell phone conversations and arguments out of the train.

Stop being drunk on the train, you look like an idiot and you endanger yourself.

Quit bugging me about my camera, i'm a grown azz man i know what the heck i'm doing and have read the rules more than you have.

If you don't feel like talking, don't talk at all instead of talking to some people & not others, creep! Some folks like to talk, some don't!

- (A)

People have a right to bring bikes with them be it on a train, subway, or bus if it has a rack for it. Many messengers and others use a bike to get around between subway stops & for work. As a person who bikes instead of drives i gotta disagree with this one.

However i do have stuff to add!

Leave your loud cell phone conversations and arguments out of the train.

Stop being drunk on the train, you look like an idiot and you endanger yourself.

Quit bugging me about my camera, i'm a grown azz man i know what the heck i'm doing and have read the rules more than you have.

If you don't feel like talking, don't talk at all instead of talking to some people & not others, creep! Some folks like to talk, some don't!

- (A)

I feel you about the camera thing....ppl with camers are not taking pics of other ppl....they are taking pics of the trains, so they need t mind their darn business. Drunk ppl shouldn't been on subways or commuter rail roads....if they could buy $20-30 worth of drinks they can use that money for a cab ride home

- Please, NO vomiting at 4:45am on the back of the 1st car of a Coney Island- Bound (Q) Train, because you had too much to drink; Summer 2007, coming home from Webster Hall.

-STOP playing you cell phone music for the whole Train. Thinking your all cool... If its NOT Madonna, Barry White, or Earth Wind & Fire, I don't want to hear it!

-Young high School girls; I don't care who slept with who last night. Keep it amongst yourselves, NOT the whole train.

-Urinating at the back of the Coney Island-Bound Platform of the 20 Av (D)(M) Station is, well, no words to describe that.

-If you think your going to miss the (Q) to (:) transfer at a Brighton Express stop, REMAIN on the (Q), it will stop at your station either way; hence, The Brighton LOCAL.

Some for now, more to come

Zachary

Please, for the love of god, do not wait for the train to come to a complete stop before getting up from your seat to exit the train during rush-hours. There are 1000 passengers that are going bulldoze you if you are not already waiting by the door to exit the train when doors open.

Get up from your seat as soon as:

1. You hear the recording of the nice lady announcing your station
  2. You see the bright lights of the your station
  3. The train starts coming to a stop

Please, for the love of god, do not wait for the train to come to a complete stop before getting up from your seat to exit the train during rush-hours. There are 1000 passengers that are going bulldoze you if you are not already waiting by the door to exit the train when doors open.

Thank you very much...I love them. People are annoying and rude when they do that!

About the same thing can be said about buses, then they wonder why drivers sometimes skip thier stop and ignore them when they yell backdoor, they need to stop waiting for the last minute to get out or last minute to press the tape. Also annoying when they press the tape when the next stop is the last stop, sometimes the bell rings as often as it is pressed I dealt with that today, they kept pressing it because the stop requested sign didn't light up...

I hate when they hold the train doors because they're lost too. UGH! :mad:

My two subway etiquette rules:

1) Don't bother me at the RFW.

2) Tourists, DO NOT HOLD THE DOORS... EVER. I was on an R160 at Times Sq a few months back and the doors closed. They popped open about an inch... just enough for the tourist to get his fingers in and he held the door open for EVERYONE that wanted to get on the train after his touristy group got on... OMG, no matter how many times the CR played the "don't hold the doors" message he just wouldn't let go... :mad:... and we wonder why the subways are off schedule...

About the same thing can be said about buses, then they wonder why drivers sometimes skip thier stop and ignore them when they yell backdoor, they need to stop waiting for the last minute to get out or last minute to press the tape. Also annoying when they press the tape when the next stop is the last stop, sometimes the bell rings as often as it is pressed I dealt with that today, they kept pressing it because the stop requested sign didn't light up...

I hate when they hold the train doors because they're lost too. UGH! :mad:

The constant bell ringing was common on the ex-PBL GM RTS buses. They had no "Stop Requested" sign on them.

They need to learn to read a map or call a taxi.

(1.) If the train is real packed do not try to squeeze into a crowded car....either move to another car or wait for another train is directly behind that one.

(2.) Let ppl off the train 1st b4 you board.....bumrushing ppl just to get on a train or get a seat isn't helping the situation.

(3.) If your going to sit next to someone have the curtiousy to remove your backpack and/or bookbag.

(4.) If your listening to your I-pod or MP3 player and that song your listening to is hot...pls don't try to sing.....this is not American Idol we do not want to listen to your horrible singing.

(5.) If you know you can't sit in that particular seat, it makes no sense to try to squeeze next into that seat....how about you stand up next time.

(6.) Do not hold the train doors open, if you missed your train there is another one.

(7.) If your going to have a conversation, keep your volume to minimum no one wants to hear that you did last night in the bedroom.....save that for your home phone.

(8.) If you don't know what train your getting on, ask someone or get and/or read the subway map. Don't get upset b/c you decided to get on a express train instead your suppose to be on the local train.

(9.) Parents make your child is sitting properly theres no reason for them to running up and down the trains, this is not a playground hince thats what city parks are for. Also if you know the train doesn't have room there is no reason for you bring that big stroller blocking the doors and seats.

(10.) Cursing and carrying on while arguing with ppl on the train b/c they bumpped you by accident or they took the seat you wanted makes you look like an ignorant and foolish person. If you going to fight take it off the train instead of holding it up with your stupidity.

With that said This is a Brooklyn bound (N) express train TheNextStopIs 34th Street-Herald Square. Stand clear of the closing doors please.:DB)

(4.) If your listening to your I-pod or MP3 player and that song your listening to is hot...pls don't try to sing.....this is not American Idol we do not want to listen to your horrible singing.

Adding on to that, just because you love a song, doesn't mean the whole car is going to want to hear it. I'm tired of being on the train during hour having to listen to someone else's music over my music and the sound of an R32 rattling through Queens.

1. If you bump into someone, say sorry

2. If you see an old guy or a pregnant man/woman, offer him/her a seat

3. MOVE THE **** IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Don't hold the doors. Or else.

5. If you walk slowly I'm gonna push you to the floor and run.

6. Keep your iPod down. I don't give a rat's ass about your music.

7. Let the people off and wait to the side when your train comes.

8. If you're with your friends don't act in a way that you capture the attention of everyone on the car. Don't draw attention to yourself either. This isn't theater and you look like a dumbass.

9. Don't man-sit. Example

9. Don't hog the pole. Unless there are no poles in the vicinity, HANG ON TO ONE.

Archived