Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Harry

What will Michael Bloomberg's legacy be?

post-5097-0-30530300-1387487403_thumb.jpg
Bloomyland: Mayor Bloomberg's highs and lows. What will Mayor Michael Bloomberg's legacy be? The News takes a look back at his time as New York City mayor. January 1, 2002, Bloomberg is inaugurated in wake of 9/11, vows, "We will rebuild, renew and remain the capital of the free world." Om June of 2002, Gov. Pataki signs law giving control of city schools to the mayor. In December of 2002, with the economy and budget reeling from 9/11, Bloomberg signs bill raising property taxes a record 18.5%. In March of 2003, the city enacts pioneering ban on smoking in bars and restaurants.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-30530300-1387487403_thumb.jpg

A chicken in every pot n a cap in every ass... oooh wait... he's supposedly trying to STOP the flow of illegal guns... my bad...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

"So remember that dude who tried to ban soda...but didn't and then tried to ban some other stuff I think like styrofoam but also didn't...?"

"Uhm is he the same guy who tried to ban dog parks too?"

"No..."

"Then not really..."

• Upvote 1

"So remember that dude who tried to ban soda...but didn't and then tried to ban some other stuff I think like styrofoam but also didn't...?"

"Uhm is he the same guy who tried to ban dog parks too?"

"No..."

"Then not really..."

The City Council recently voted to ban styrofoam, so that is now in play.

How about his skyscraper projects? Nah. It caused housing prices along with rents rising to limits out of reach for the city's middle class........

How about his skyscraper projects? Nah. It caused housing prices along with rents rising to limits out of reach for the city's middle class........

Capping demand by not approving the skyscraper projects would have lead to even higher prices than exist now; look at the Bay Area for an example of what large restrictions on housing construction do to property prices.

Bloomberg has durable legacies; we don't know what the full effects of splitting apart the large schools will be until much later on in the future. Also, he's notable for being the first mayor who wasn't in the pockets of the richest man in town, mostly because he was the richest man in town.

As long as he takes his dykes with him, (quinn, sadik khan) I really couldn't give three bits a shit...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

If he was going to shut down the 'dangerous intersections' on Broadway, he should've continued further up like 72nd and lincoln center. May as well straiten out those intersections as well. Broadway should've been built over than left as is when they made the grid system.

I think overall the city was safe under Kelly's term as commissioner. If Bloomberg left after the 2nd term, I think he'd have a better legacy, as term 3 he went dictatorial nuts with all the soda, etc bans. I also don't like the bike lanes either. I would be happy seeing that hag Khan go.

Edited by Grand Concourse
  • Upvote 1

If he was going to shut down the 'dangerous intersections' on Broadway, he should've continued further up like 72nd and lincoln center. May as well straiten out those intersections as well. Broadway should've been built over than left as is when they made the grid system.

I think overall the city was safe under Kelly's term as commissioner. If Bloomberg left after the 2nd term, I think he'd have a better legacy, as term 3 he went dictatorial nuts with all the soda, etc bans. I also don't like the bike lanes either. I would be happy seeing that hag Khan go.

Not to worry... She will be leaving with Bloomberg too...  She has done a great job screwing up the traffic flow in this city...  <_< Let us also not forget how deplorable the roads are as well...  They spend more time beautifying the plazas than they do repaving the damn streets.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Upvote 1

Mayor Bloomberg twice raised property taxes for a grand total increase of 25%, displacing thousands of native New Yorkers out of their apartments and in all seriousness home forclosures, I mean what is this? Urban-cultural genocide?  Many New Yorkers during this decade were forced to move out of a beautiful multicultural city to live in the boondocks out of state because of this greed! 

In fact the the New York City Rent Guidelines Board has just approved rent increases for more than 1 million rent stabilized apartments in the five boros of NYC. That means a 4% increase for a one-year renewal lease and a 7.75%on a two-year renewal lease which applies increases applies to lease renewals that start between October 1, 2013, and September 30, 2014.

Obviously I mean yes we must pay our taxes to keep this city running but I am horridly dissatisfied with this mayor's performance. Its seriously disturbing. Now here's the thing: I really think this claim by DeBlasio that he will advocate for a solution to what he calls an affordability crisis is a bluff. He will actually continue Bloomberg's policies already in place.

This city really gone down to shit during his term(s) in regards to destroying the vibe and urban culture that was once here in the Big Apple. It was indeed much better during the Giuliani Administration. 

Edited by realizm

I have to agree with Grand Concourse  on this one as it would have been better if he did just two terms and let someone else take the position.Three terms is usually a disaster just look at Koch (city) Cuomo and Pataki (state) and their terms. It seems that the first term, the elected leaders work for the people (some ,of the time, not all of the time), the second term they stop working for the people and the third term, forget it. What bothers me about the third term is that the one that follows him is usually elected on a promise to be the just the opposite of the previous one with different results. David Dinkins followed Ed Koch, George Pataki followed Mario Cuomo and Eliot Spitzer followed George Pataki.  

I personally believe that Michael Bloomberg's legacy would have been better if he stopped with two terms and let another person such as Bill Thompson get elected to the position. The problem here is that once a person is elected to higher office, they feel that they become invincible in terms of getting elected to a third term and we as the voters and residents suffer as an exact opposite gets elected like happened this year.. 

• Upvote 1

Crime also went up along his tenure. He should be best remembered for destroying the city..........

...do you live in the same city that I do? Crime's been going down for a very long time.

My problem with Bloomberg is that whatever benefit was reaped from his tenure was done either through methods that weren't entirely kosher (stop and frisking everybody, splitting big schools into smaller schools, etc.) or only benefited those above a certain income level; you don't see Citibike stands and such out in the outer boroughs, you don't see a lot of affordable housing stock being built, etc.

He also played the development game in a very dishonest way; he talked up the hubs like Jamaica and upzoned those and the waterfront (all of which have little transport capacity), but downzoned a lot of neighborhoods near subway stations, which now means that we can't have increases in affordable housing near good transportation. He was far too insulated from the common person, and that's my major problem with him (and let's not start with the Disneyfication of the city, but I'll agree to disagree with the bike lanes and the Broadway and the plazas and whatnot.)

• Upvote 3

Yeah, the roads int he city can be pretty bad. Yes times sq and harold sq are insane, but probably inevitable that they needed broadway as a spillover for pedestrian traffic. Better there than walking on the street with cars. What i dont get is the need to build up the segment of broadway at ts. It already has barriers, why do they need to put in 'brick slabs' on the road for?

On the crime thing, it is debatable, but other than the increased iphone thefts, the major crime like mass murder has been localized to a few areas. I mean thank god it isnt newark 100+murders bad especially given the size and area of nyc.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the roads int he city can be pretty bad. Yes times sq and harold sq are insane, but probably inevitable that they needed broadway as a spillover for pedestrian traffic. Better there than walking on the street with cars. What i dont get is the need to build up the segment of broadway at ts. It already has barriers, why do they need to put in 'brick slabs' on the road for?

On the crime thing, it is debatable, but other than the increased iphone thefts, the major crime like mass murder has been localized to a few areas. I mean thank god it isnt newark 100+murders bad especially given the size and area of nyc.

The major focus was making it step-free; those curbs used to be a really big tripping hazard (not to mention replacing the planters with actual street furniture was a plus)

• Upvote 1

Capping demand by not approving the skyscraper projects would have lead to even higher prices than exist now; look at the Bay Area for an example of what large restrictions on housing construction do to property prices.

Bloomberg has durable legacies; we don't know what the full effects of splitting apart the large schools will be until much later on in the future. Also, he's notable for being the first mayor who wasn't in the pockets of the richest man in town, mostly because he was the richest man in town.

He's also noted to being the worst Mayor of our time. He hasn't done a damn thing but made sure that salt was on the streets of NYC. Oh wait he messed that up one time too. Hmmm, from someone that makes "a dollar a year" for being mayor, the best idea he had was being part of an Independent party. Smart move ex-mayor and good riddance.

He's also noted to being the worst Mayor of our time. He hasn't done a damn thing but made sure that salt was on the streets of NYC. Oh wait he messed that up one time too. Hmmm, from someone that makes "a dollar a year" for being mayor, the best idea he had was being part of an Independent party. Smart move ex-mayor and good riddance.

He's done plenty in this city, including in your borough in the Bronx.  He's managed to cut crime in a borough known for having the highest crime rates in the city.  That alone IMO is a success.

...do you live in the same city that I do? Crime's been going down for a very long time.

My problem with Bloomberg is that whatever benefit was reaped from his tenure was done either through methods that weren't entirely kosher (stop and frisking everybody, splitting big schools into smaller schools, etc.) or only benefited those above a certain income level; you don't see Citibike stands and such out in the outer boroughs, you don't see a lot of affordable housing stock being built, etc.

He also played the development game in a very dishonest way; he talked up the hubs like Jamaica and upzoned those and the waterfront (all of which have little transport capacity), but downzoned a lot of neighborhoods near subway stations, which now means that we can't have increases in affordable housing near good transportation. He was far too insulated from the common person, and that's my major problem with him (and let's not start with the Disneyfication of the city, but I'll agree to disagree with the bike lanes and the Broadway and the plazas and whatnot.)

Are you kidding me? There's actually too much affordable housing in this city... Just look at the hoards of housing projects around...  <_<

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Crime also went up along his tenure. He should be best remembered for destroying the city..........

Get your facts straight and refrain from making falsified comments based on bias rather than reality please, because I am tired of you starting pissing contests. During the Dinkins administration he implemented NYPD reforms to crack down on crime, and that was when crime rates started to drop when he took office after Koch's tenure. When he closed up shop in 1993 crime was DOWN. Giuliani went further to work with the NYPD when he walked into City Hall after Dinkins tenure.

Statistics don't lie:

comstat.png

What next? Dinkins the communist? LOL. Have a nice day.

• Upvote 1

Get your facts straight and refrain from making falsified comments based on bias rather than reality please, because I am tired of you starting pissing contests. During the Dinkins administration he implemented NYPD reforms to crack down on crime, and that was when crime rates started to drop when he took office after Koch's tenure. When he closed up shop in 1993 crime was DOWN. Giuliani went further to work with the NYPD when he walked into City Hall after Dinkins tenure.

Statistics don't lie:

comstat.png

What next? Dinkins the communist? LOL. Have a nice day.

And what's the source of these stats?  We all know that stats can be slanted depending on the source that's producing them.  

And what's the source of these stats?  We all know that stats can be slanted depending on the source that's producing them.  

Source: http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/headlines-breaking-stories/195374/mayor-dinkins-claims-crime-started-to-go-down-during-his-administration.html

To quote:

"To be fair, Mr. Dinkins claim that crime started to go down during his administration may be accurate. Though, truth must be said, crime was still extremely high when he left office in 1993. According to the NYPD’s Compstat, there were 1,927 murders, in NYC, in 1993 compared to 2,262 in 1990. Nonetheless, after 5 years of Rudy Giuliani as mayor, only 629 murder were reported in 1998. Robbery also dropped from 100,280 in 10990 and 85,892 when Mr. Dinkins left office, to 39,003 in 1998 and 27,873 when Mr. Giuliani left office."

Source: http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/headlines-breaking-stories/195374/mayor-dinkins-claims-crime-started-to-go-down-during-his-administration.html

To quote:

"To be fair, Mr. Dinkins claim that crime started to go down during his administration may be accurate. Though, truth must be said, crime was still extremely high when he left office in 1993. According to the NYPD’s Compstat, there were 1,927 murders, in NYC, in 1993 compared to 2,262 in 1990. Nonetheless, after 5 years of Rudy Giuliani as mayor, only 629 murder were reported in 1998. Robbery also dropped from 100,280 in 10990 and 85,892 when Mr. Dinkins left office, to 39,003 in 1998 and 27,873 when Mr. Giuliani left office."

This is a very fair assessment... The fact that crime was so high to begin with is one reason folks dispute the claim that crime went down during Dinkins' tenure.  Crime was in fact rampant.  No other way to put it.  

• Upvote 2

I would also like to add a little known fact: Bloomberg did implement a program to assist ex-felons with work opportunities. So I will have to give Mr. Bloomberg credit where its due even as I do not agree with his policies on gentrification. He is not racist as many was led to believe, as I learned. Which is a good thing. I believe his policy on this should be extended during the DeBlasio administration with his stance on income equality.

Source: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Bloomberg-Takes-on-Racial-Divide-126740803.html

To quote:

"New York City is taking steps to hire ex-convicts as part of a sweeping social policy plan by Mayor Michael Bloomberg to lift the barriers facing young black and Latino men.

An investigation into racial disparities in New York City yielded disturbing numbers. Black and Latino men were out of work, dropping out of school and living in poverty at rates dramatically higher than their white and Asian peers. Plus, 90 percent of the city’s inmates and murder victims are black and Latino."

This is a very fair assessment... The fact that crime was so high to begin with is one reason folks dispute the claim that crime went down during Dinkins' tenure.  Crime was in fact rampant.  No other way to put it.  

Exactly. +1.

*The major reason why crime was so high was because of a gruesome, bloody gang war that took place between the Latin Kings and the East Coast Bloods plus during that time drugs were being funneled in from Columbia en mass before the DEA and US Navy Seals crackdown. This led to an extremely violent turf war. During that time the NYPD started to crack down on this gang war as well as marfia operations, starting with the Dinkins administration.

I lived it and man dude, the viciousness of the murders were seriously no exaggeration comparable to what is happening in Mexico today. It was a difficult situation for any mayor to handle and thats what Dinkins faced when he walked into City Hall since Koch was focused on pushing different policies such as the war on grafitti and the MTA with the other issues neglected. New York was just a mess all around during that time.

I've met Koch during grade school school trips and Giuliani in a different scenerio on the street in the financial district btw.

Edited by realizm