Sunday service

Amtrak7

If you look at SCT's routes by (winter) ridership, their busiest 10 are as follows, in this order:

S1, S45, S40, S92, S66, S33, S54, S41, S58, 3D

The next 10: S60, S61, S27, 3B, S62, 3A, 3C, S42, S29, S63

I'm surprised the 10C got winter Sunday service while the S45/S61/S62 didn't get any. Is Saturday ridership really low on those routes?

If you look at SCT's routes by (winter) ridership, their busiest 10 are as follows, in this order:

S1, S45, S40, S92, S66, S33, S54, S41, S58, 3D

I'm surprised the 10C got winter Sunday service while the S45/S61/S62 didn't get any. Is Saturday ridership really low on those routes?

I guess it costs less to run the 10c compare to other routes.

S1, S45, S40, S92, S66, S33, S54, S41, S58, 3D

The 10C got it because not only had it already had Sunday Service, but the fare increase they had for it was suppose to eventually pay for year around Sunday Service. It would not makes sense to not give the 10C year round Sunday service when  the riders were already paying towards it. 

According to the list,the 45 is the 2nd busiest but isn't getting Sunday service?

I'm guessing it's busy only on weekdays, not on Saturday. Anytime I've been on the 45 Saturday it's empty, so I figure Sunday would be the same. I think much of the 45's ridership goes to County Center & Happaugue, which are ghostowns on weekends.

According to the list,the 45 is the 2nd busiest but isn't getting Sunday service?

If you look at all the routes, with the exception of the S40,S54,S92, and the 10C, all the routes serve either a campus of Suffolk County Community College, or one of the campuses of SUNY. My guess is that the routes weren't pick solely on ridership, but the needs of riders.  

I'm surprised that I never noticed that the S92 Sunday Service was extended to the end of the year (from October).

I was out in Riverhead a couple of months ago on a Sunday and it was a surprise seeing a SCT bus.

I'm surprised it took them this long to announce it. I heard that it was going to start in January a few months ago, just not which routes were going to get the service.   

I don't see what's so surprising there is a lot that goes into these changes before they can be implemented.  Do you remember Orions website?  They kept putting up a new launch date for the new website...  That date would frequently come and go, the company went out of business before the new website that was planned for years was put up.  It was a laughing stock, this is what happens whens you make announcements before you know how long the project will take to implement.  No one wants to be a laughing stock and it takes away from your credibility.  .  

This was actually "announced" when you heard it a few months ago, as it was in the news and that came from SCT themselves, they just didn't announce the routes or post the new schedules.  Firs they were waiting on funding it not only would have been embarrassing but a waste of time and money to figure out the logistics only to later find out the funding fell through.  Next which routes to run on Sunday, and put money into probably took a good couple/few months to analyze.  Now SCT had to give the operators time to hire more drivers, mechanics, office staff (many of these facilities are not open Sunday as they operated SCT and school buses), The company had to implement these changes in time for a new bid for the drivers.  I'm sure there was heavy talk with the unions, would they be hiring new PT of FT drivers?  No one is going to work only Sunday's (actually I would lol) so this new Sunday Schedule had to be implemented into other routes...  I'm sure it took a lot of planning for the drivers schedules to be broken up and re packaged.  Are senior drivers going to feel shafted?  Usually the drivers were off Sunday and another day during the week, what will schedule be now?  Probably another union issue?  If any of these cause a kink in the chain the particular route or routes that company operates would probably have to be delayed and have a later start date.  We are back to it is an embarrassment and bad for the reputation of both SCT and the contractor if they had to issue a press release saying the route(s) that we announced months ago that would start Sunday service on January 2nd will not start now until Feb, March, April, May etc...   ;)  

This was actually "announced" when you heard it a few months ago, as it was in the news and that came from SCT themselves, they just didn't announce the routes or post the new schedules.  

Actually when I heard about it a few months ago, it was from a friend who is friends with a few bus drivers.  

Now SCT had to give the operators time to hire more drivers, mechanics, office staff (many of these facilities are not open Sunday as they operated SCT and school buses), The company had to implement these changes in time for a new bid for the drivers.  I'm sure there was heavy talk with the unions, would they be hiring new PT of FT drivers?    

I know STS (The Contract holder) hired a hole bunch of drivers for the school bus division and for the para-transit division right before September started. I'm not sure if they hired any line run drivers at the time. I've heard that they promote Para Transit drivers to line runs, so I have no clue how many of the Para Transit drivers hired were possibly replacing drivers being promoted or retiring or for increased service.   As for PT/FT, I'm not completely sure, I know that it seems that PT/FT depended on the drivers pick. (Or at least thats how one driver made it sound a few years ago.)    I also heard that when they did a special pick back in September, that the picks included Sunday Service, so it would be my guess that at least they were ready for the increase service, and knew which routes, back then. 

STS also went though a hiring phase for Mechanics for their Coarm yard, after they expanded it. 

It also depends on the yet-to-be-published Sunday schedule. The less TPH a route runs, the less drivers you need.

All the routes will be using their Saturday Schedule.  For the S41, S58, S66, and 3D. will be following their normal Schedule as they don't have a dedicated Saturday Schedule. (However the first S58 run out of Middle Island and East Northport won't run as they don't run on Saturdays, the First two runs of the 3D also won't run as well.) According to the Schedule online the S92 will follow it's normal schedule as well. The 10C seems to still be following the Sunday Schedule it's had since Sunday Service started according to the schedule online.  The S1, S33, S54, and S40 all have dedicated Saturday Service Schedules. 

http://www.sct-bus.org/assets/SundayserviceJan2014.html

S1, S33, S40, S41, S54, S58, S66, S92, 3D, 10C

Same as today's weekend service. S92 will run all trips all days. Starts 1/5.

None of the Smith Haven Mall buses got Sunday service?

Funny you mention that (Q43)....

I'm gonna go out on a limb & say that the sole reasons the 3d was considered, was for access to Smith Haven & access to the main line specifically....

As was said, the 58 goes there also (smith haven), but I think that route was chosen for sheer coverage reasons.....

I'm guessing it's busy only on weekdays, not on Saturday. Anytime I've been on the 45 Saturday it's empty, so I figure Sunday would be the same. I think much of the 45's ridership goes to County Center & Happaugue, which are ghostowns on weekends.

Nailed it.

Most the 45 usage on saturdays is b/w Mechanicsville rd  & LIRR Brentwood.... That's less than half the route.

It dies as you approach Central Islip on saturdays, due north... which makes sense....

During the Weekday, there are more folks from within Central Islip & within Smithtown that take the route (in either direction), as well as far more ppl. xferring to the 45 @ Bay Shore, @ SS mall, and @ Brentwood rail....

No, they shouldn't have. That is not one of the top ridership routes, plus, like the JFK Flyer not working out, flights leave at all times of the day and people depart and arrive at all times of the day. If more people took the S57, it may be a feasible idea for Sunday service. But there isn't enough constant ridership to do it.

The S57 is basically a coverage route; service to ISP is coverage, and basically the rest of the route is coverage. 

They should have made S57 to has Sunday service because most people need to get to/from Islip Airport.

No, because as I mentioned previously, the S57 is a coverage route. Why do you think the S57 deviates to Lakeland Apts and the ISP. It serves Lake Ronkonkoma for the hell of it , and look at it's route south of 454. 

The S57 is basically a coverage route; service to ISP is coverage, and basically the rest of the route is coverage. 

No, because as I mentioned previously, the S57 is a coverage route. Why do you think the S57 deviates to Lakeland Apts and the ISP. It serves Lake Ronkonkoma for the hell of it , and look at it's route south of 454. 

....and it's seldom used for airport access anyway.

It serves Lake Ronkonkoma for coverage (there's that word again) & also, not to almost completely parallel the 59 b/w smith haven & LIRR Ronkonkoma......

It seems that SCT is almost entirely operating on a coverage goal (as defined in Jarrett Walker's book Human Transit), so if you boil down almost every route it'll come down to that. There are a few minor exceptions, such as some aspects of the S1, but the nature of the system and its origins virtually necessitates a coverage model. That said, for the Sunday service, it seems they leaned the other way, because funds were so limited that a county-wide coverage network would mean only one or two trips on each route and it would be easier to just provide service where the demand exists.

It seems that SCT is almost entirely operating on a coverage goal (as defined in Jarrett Walker's book Human Transit), so if you boil down almost every route it'll come down to that. There are a few minor exceptions, such as some aspects of the S1, but the nature of the system and its origins virtually necessitates a coverage model. That said, for the Sunday service, it seems they leaned the other way, because funds were so limited that a county-wide coverage network would mean only one or two trips on each route and it would be easier to just provide service where the demand exists.

The coverage mentality makes SCT a pain to use however if parts of S57 were swapped to other lines and the route and others restructured the system would work better. Not interested in detailing how.

....and it's seldom used for airport access anyway.

It serves Lake Ronkonkoma for coverage (there's that word again) & also, not to almost completely parallel the 59 b/w smith haven & LIRR Ronkonkoma......

Though out of the two routes, I think the S59 is the one which garners more riders, and should the case of one of the be elminated, I'd opt for the S57.

Though out of the two routes, I think the S59 is the one which garners more riders, and should the case of one of the be elminated, I'd opt for the S57.

Out of smith haven specifically, it depends on whichever one leaves first after whichever other route(s) arrive... In my experiences, it's usually been the S57 that leaves when more buses are already inside smith haven, or have just left smith haven.....

The S57 FWIW, benefits more patrons of areas than the S59, so I think the 57 actually gets more riders..... The 59 however, is the quicker option from end to end, and definitely b/w smith haven & the main line.... b/w the main line & the montauk line, it's a toss up, but I'd still give the edge by a couple mins. to the 59.....

TBH, I'm not understanding what you're basing this conclusion on, or how you even came to it.....

Out of smith haven specifically, it depends on whichever one leaves first after whichever other route(s) arrive... In my experiences, it's usually been the S57 that leaves when more buses are already inside smith haven, or have just left smith haven.....

The S57 FWIW, benefits more patrons of areas than the S59, so I think the 57 actually gets more riders..... The 59 however, is the quicker option from end to end, and definitely b/w smith haven & the main line.... b/w the main line & the montauk line, it's a toss up, but I'd still give the edge by a couple mins. to the 59.....

Depends on the time

Duing Early AM rush hours to Lake Grove, its 30 minutes (the S57 is 40).

During the late AM to Lake Grove and all morning to Sayville, and midday hours, as well as PM rush hours, both routes take 40 minutes from the Main Line to Sayville

In the evening, the S59 takes 35, and the S57 takes 38.

Per arrival times from :00 to :00 the next hour, the 59 allows for more riders from other routes to transfer, however the S57 transfers to the higher ridership routes better, although not timed. However, whichever one has less, it isn't by much.

Archived