Your Favorite Subway Memories?

Daniel The Cool

Why were they 9 cars? Did they stop at the 10 car marker?

They had 9-car markers. I remember at a station like Junius St, where the 10-car marker is in a 3rd rail gap (the middle track crosses over the southbound track to go to Linden Yard), so the 1st car of a 10-car R62 (3) train has the lights go out usually (doesn't happen on the NTTs). But the 9-car R62As stopped before that and the first car never went out. At Saratoga and Pennsylvania Avs, the 9-car marker had trains stop a few feet before the exit stairs, whereas the 10-car marker has trains stop a few feet after the exit stairs, which caused some (not very pleasant) rider reactions on some trains I was on when the R62s first went on the (3). Can't believe I remember even that. There is still a 9-car marker at New Lots Av, but it's an upside down 6 that another poster here mentioned. Most of the other 9-car markers on Livonia at least are blacked out.

img_2496.jpg

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2496

My first trip tirip to the Museum of Natural History when I must have been 4 years old with mom. We came back home on an R10 consist on the (C) it was painted in Forest Green. It was during the dead of winter but the car was pleasantly warm, and boy it ran, traction motors humming with power. I will never forget that memory, ever.

thanks, any other weird numbers 11 not on the flushing, 3 cars, 7 cars, 5 not 5 car sets? other 9s? 12s? 1?

According to the route in open BVE Rockaway Boulevard (A) has a 7 car marker. I recall seeing a similar sign in a 2-by-2 square cluster, but I can't confirm that it had a 7 car mark IRL.

Wow....reading thru most of these responses really makes me feel old ;)

I remember when the R10 was "the new train", with radical new flourescent lighting......

riding the BMT Standards with the railfan window open on top for a nice breeze on a hot day....

many more memories, but it appears most on this board could not possibly relate to them.... :)

• 2 months later...

I love to bring this topic back. Here's my other favorite memory 

My 11th Birthday (1/27/2006) where I did some a railfan trip. I remember the trip started riding the southbound (D) Train from 125th Street to 47-50th Street for the (V) Train. Took that to Ely Avenue-23rd Street to ride the (G) for the time in my life. Took it all the way to Smith-9th Street (The last stop) and transferred to the Manhattan Bound (F) Train to 34th Street-Herald Square. Transfer to the (N) Train to Coney Island (R32). Got off there. Walk over the historic Coney Island for 30 min. Get back on at Coney Island transferring to the (N) Train AGAIN (R68). Took that to Pacific Street for the (B) Train. Ends up missing the R40 Slant (B) Train BUT good thing I did. After 2 (Q) Trains in a row, the next (B) Train was an R68A. I was mad happy because R68/R68As were rare on the (B) Train during that time period. Took it to 72nd Street to go for my birthday dinner. Ate and walked all the way home to West 116th Street. 

What a day

Wow....reading thru most of these responses really makes me feel old ;)

I remember when the R10 was "the new train", with radical new flourescent lighting......

riding the BMT Standards with the railfan window open on top for a nice breeze on a hot day....

many more memories, but it appears most on this board could not possibly relate to them.... :)

Don't feel old.  I remember those Standards well including the triplexes.  They use to growl and the IND R1-9 huff puffed and the IRT whirled when they ran.  The standards air pump always ran with that thump thump thump and the windows were opened to stay cool. Seats were rattan   My best memory was going to Coney Island about 1952 and seeing the parachute jump for the first time.

img_2496.jpg

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2496

My first trip tirip to the Museum of Natural History when I must have been 4 years old with mom. We came back home on an R10 consist on the (C) it was painted in Forest Green. It was during the dead of winter but the car was pleasantly warm, and boy it ran, traction motors humming with power. I will never forget that memory, ever.

Wow..What year was this...Lol...The good ol days

My favorite memories probably my first memory of the subway.

Catching the #1 at 125th st. With the huge bridge over 125th st. Riding the then new R-33's withe the big front windows. At 4 years old I could barely see over the bottom of the window on my tippy toes. My mom got a small wood box for me to stand inn so I could see out the front without having to strain.

The 7 out to the Worlds Fair in Flushing Meadows.

The last nite of the old Myrtle Av El to Jay St-Borough Hall. I found out that there were many people who also liked trains. And my mom was surprised /horrified /(fill in the blank) about all the fuss. At times it was pretty interesting.

My first trip alone on the subway. I was living in Mill Basin at that point and had a bus pass for Pioneer to get to PS236. It said it was good for the entire route from Mill Basin to Kings Highway. I had an old box brownie camera and a roll of film. Took the train down to Stillwell Av and spent a couple of hours taking pictures. A few days later my mom found he.film and developed it. As a treat she then made some contact prints and promptly hit the roof. How did I get to Coney Island and why had I gone without telling her didn't I know I wasn't supposed to leave the block and how did I get there and and.

I don't remember the year but I was going to a private school in Queens and one winter the school bus drivers went out on strike. To get to school I ended up taking the subway. The school got a lot of the kids transit passes. Well for me this was open season for riding. The worst of it was a day of bitter cold where the subway trains ended up getting rerouted all over. The D train I was on got rerouted onto the BMT Broadway line. And this was before the Broadway line had the platforms extended to handle 10 car trains of the IND. The motorman and conductor discussed the problem over the pa for all to hear. They had to make two stops at each station to let passengers off. At 42nd st(I think) the motorman got out and called someone to explain the problems. I got off there and transferred to another train to get where I was going.

Rgds IGN

My favorite memories probably my first memory of the subway.

Catching the #1 at 125th st. With the huge bridge over 125th st. Riding the then new R-33's withe the big front windows. At 4 years old I could barely see over the bottom of the window on my tippy toes. My mom got a small wood box for me to stand inn so I could see out the front without having to strain.

The 7 out to the Worlds Fair in Flushing Meadows.

The last nite of the old Myrtle Av El to Jay St-Borough Hall. I found out that there were many people who also liked trains. And my mom was surprised /horrified /(fill in the blank) about all the fuss. At times it was pretty interesting.

My first trip alone on the subway. I was living in Mill Basin at that point and had a bus pass for Pioneer to get to PS236. It said it was good for the entire route from Mill Basin to Kings Highway. I had an old box brownie camera and a roll of film. Took the train down to Stillwell Av and spent a couple of hours taking pictures. A few days later my mom found he.film and developed it. As a treat she then made some contact prints and promptly hit the roof. How did I get to Coney Island and why had I gone without telling her didn't I know I wasn't supposed to leave the block and how did I get there and and.

I don't remember the year but I was going to a private school in Queens and one winter the school bus drivers went out on strike. To get to school I ended up taking the subway. The school got a lot of the kids transit passes. Well for me this was open season for riding. The worst of it was a day of bitter cold where the subway trains ended up getting rerouted all over. The D train I was on got rerouted onto the BMT Broadway line. And this was before the Broadway line had the platforms extended to handle 10 car trains of the IND. The motorman and conductor discussed the problem over the pa for all to hear. They had to make two stops at each station to let passengers off. At 42nd st(I think) the motorman got out and called someone to explain the problems. I got off there and transferred to another train to get where I was going.

Rgds IGN

Damn. That story sounds nice

Here's something I thought I would start since I haven't seen a thread on this.

What's your favorite subway memories you had whether you're railfanning or just traveling?

My few favorites so far I can think

R38 (B) Train in 2000

4 Car R32 sets on the (C) on weekends

R40 Slant (B) via West End

Diamond (Q)

the (W) Train to Coney Island

R32 (D) Train

Riding the Redbirds on the (1) in 1998

The first day when the (D) went via West End in 2004

The Orange (Q)

R40 Slant (D) Train in 2006-2007 during certain weekends when they had the (D) to 2nd Avenue G.O with the Slants running in the northern end section

And of course, riding the whole northbound (D) Train via local the way for the first time which was last year. 

Now share your thoughts

And the R142 (1) train and the R160 (C) train.

I remember when the (A) ran exclusively R38's and the (C) ran only R32's... I used to think that the "skinny doors" were better and reserved for the express (R38's) while the "fat doors" were on the local(R32's). Then, in 2008, the R32's and R38's switched places on the (A) and (C) and my mind was blown.

The R40 slant (Q) Express and later (B) were one of the best experiences in my opinion.

And, not exactly a subway one, but I remember riding the Q35 in Green Bus Lines days. That was one of the most scenic rides ever.

This is going to sound crazy. You want to hear of a subway memory?

Rewind the clock back to 1994.... So, I was on the southbound end of the Union Square station on the IRT Lexington Ave line with friends (cutting school, used to go to Hillcrest HS). Anyway, we saw two people at the far end beyond the trespassing zone.

They were having sex.

I'll never forget this one. That and the fact that we uesd to have R62As on the (4) and the (6) with the redbirds moving on the (5) . Well the point is that these two people on the damn platform was having sex in public view. LOL.

I remember when the (A) ran exclusively R38's and the (C) ran only R32's... I used to think that the "skinny doors" were better and reserved for the express (R38's) while the "fat doors" were on the local(R32's). Then, in 2008, the R32's and R38's switched places on the (A) and (C) and my mind was blown.

The R40 slant  (Q) Express and later (B) were one of the best experiences in my opinion.

And, not exactly a subway one, but I remember riding the Q35 in Green Bus Lines days. That was one of the most scenic rides ever.

I miss the R40 Slants on the (B) and  (L) Trains

my good memory i had was riding the R110 on the (A). i waited for like 30 minutes or less at West 4 Street. I took all the way to the end Far Rockaway because they wasn't playing the high tech. When train return to Manhattan, they was playing the announcement and high tech stuff. I got off near the 125 street because i needed to go home. Weird to see 9 cars train. Also to see speckle tiles floors is nice.

Also when i was on the R142 (6) train to go to the doctor, my father was with me and he was looking for something to hang on. I told him to look up and the bar to hang on to is there. i laugh. 

Also i went to see a live show for television and we got on at 50 street (1) train and the door kept opening and closing. i was laughing at it because the conductor was having hard time to keep it close. i guess somebody couldn't squeezed in like a sardine. My dad said it not funny. 

Last year, I was on the (7) and the train stopped at a random point, then a track worker in my car keyed himself out and we went on our way.  I didn't know that they were issued door keys.

Interesting story, does anyone else have a story like this?

Archived