New York breaks record cold as temps hit 5 degrees, smashing 118-year mark set in 1896

Harry

post-5097-0-73133500-1389102781_thumb.jpg
Temperatures dipped so low in Manhattan the city froze itself a spot in history. Jan. 7 is the coldest day in 118 years as Central Park fell to just 5 degrees, accrding to NBC 4 News, breaking a record set in 1896 when the temps hit 6 degrees. The cold weather barreled into the city Tuesday, and officials warns residents that things were going to get pretty chilly. “It’s going to get very cold, very quickly,” Mayor de Blasio warned. “We will get down to the single digits. With wind chill, we will be below zero in many parts of the city.” This cold snap caused by a “polar vortex” carrying bone-chilling Arctic air was accompanied by wind gusts of up to 50 mph, hitting the city just as millions of New Yorkers are making the Tuesday morning commute to work.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-73133500-1389102781_thumb.jpg

This is extremely dangerous weather, not to be taken for granted. Bundle up, and try to stay indoors as much as your daily/nightly routine allows for.

If you see anyone who may be homeless in this weather it is advised to call 311 and let them know. They can get the appropriate people to take the person into a shelter. If you see persons suffering from hypothermia definitely call 911, that is a life threatening condition.

Wow...5 is really cold but not brutally cold. Up north here in New York I believe Friday or Saturday before I went to bed around 10:30pm it was -20 below degrees with the windchill being as chilly as -50. One of the day time highs was maybe 1 or 0 degrees I'm unsure then a day or 2 after the temp went as high as 47 in the morning then dropped rapidly to 20's and the single digits by night(this past Monday) and we have had Lake Effect Snow since...over 7 feet in some places higher in elevation.

I had school and work. Never before have I felt my mustache begin to freeze.

Thats going to be my situation in two weeks when Spring semester starts. Make that money while going to school with the determination to succeed in fulfilling all goals, without fail. 

Layers are your best friend if you have to go out in such weather....

You get folks that complain about the cold, but still dress like they normally would if it weren't cold.... What it is, is that you have folks that are afraid of making adjustments in their daily lives (not just concerning the weather, but in general).... If you have to go out, adjust, and you'll be fine....

Layers are your best friend if you have to go out in such weather....

You get folks that complain about the cold, but still dress like they normally would if it weren't cold.... What it is, is that you have folks that are afraid of making adjustments in their daily lives (not just concerning the weather, but in general).... If you have to go out, adjust, and you'll be fine....

I hate it when people complain about mother nature like she's supposed to adhere to them.

Rain, sleet, snow, hurricane, If there is somewhere I need to be, I'm making it. 

Archived