Official Rapid Transit Trivia Thread

East New York

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
What is the highest elevated station in the NYCT system?

I know Joe has answered this question already (although you never confirmed), but I was wondering how high the (L) train platform at Broadway Junction is? How close is it in elevation compared to Smith-Ninth Streets?

You are very close, 3.2 is emergency breaking speed though.

Well we already spoke today heh so there's no point in me answering now...I knew it was one of those two...3.2 is emergency, that's right. If it's not the same I think the emergency rate is similar for most if not all of the cars still in service.

• 2 weeks later...

Well since I called someone out for posting something they didn't know what they were talking about regarding train weight and never got an answer I will open the question up to the general public.

What is the approximate weight of a New Tech HVAC unit?

that's right: two 9 ton overhead units. on the R110B

LOL. Bet you looked at the car datasheet, which isn't going to help you with this question. What you're referring to is not the weight of the HVAC itself, it's the "A/C Capacity" which is something else. It's an ancient way of calculating cooling capacity but it doesn't have to do with the weight of the unit.

All that 9 tons of cooling means is that each HVAC unit has the same capacity as 9 "tons" x 12,000 BTU. So each unit is 108,000 BTU of cooling power.

But that's not the weight of the HVAC, otherwise two 9 tons units would make up more than half the weight of a trailer car and almost half the weight of a motor car, which would have certainly made those trains very top heavy...

A good try though...

Of course there's no way you could have known that, just wanted to clear that up for anyone who just looks at the data sheet.

Archived