Question about Photo I found

mac5689

I just recently found a photo taken somewhere around 1981 of New York Bus Service #1334 at the Babylon Railroad Station with a sign for the S40 Patchouge/Babylon. 

Anyone have any idea of what the bus was doing out here in Suffolk, was it a demo of some type?

I just recently found a photo taken somewhere around 1981 of New York Bus Service #1334 at the Babylon Railroad Station with a sign for the S40 Patchouge/Babylon. 

Anyone have any idea of what the bus was doing out here in Suffolk, was it a demo of some type?

It was purchased by Alert Coach, who at that time was operating the S40 until they got kicked out for running lousy service.

It was purchased by Alert Coach, who at that time was operating the S40 until they got kicked out for running lousy service.

But I thought Alert stopped running the S40 in 1975?  

At the time the photo seems to be taken (defiantly around 1981 since there was a MSBA Grumman Flxible behind it) either MSBA or Suffolk Bus Corp would have been operating the S40 from what I understand. Unless Alert Brought it in the 70's and then it was transferred to Suffolk Bus Corp in 1981?

Oh I made one mistake Alert lost the contract to operate the S40 in 1977, not in 1975.  (1975 was when Alert received the contract to operate the S40)

It seems that it's most likely a lease (either to the company that operated the S40 at the time SBC or maybe the county) since someone says that they have notes of the bus going from New York Bus Service to Command Bus as a parts bus. 

The photo is from Wayne McMannors (mcmannors)'s Photobucket. 

ST1334.jpg

Very cool to see both counties' bus service from way back when in the same picture; it's always been interesting to me that there was a schism between Nassau and Suffolk buses even back then.

It is cool. There is another photo I've seen of I believe a MSBA Grumman Flexible with a Suffolk Transit New Flyer behind it. (Also taken at Babylon)  

Archived