Express service on the West End Line

Kexpress

Well the (N) runs express on the West End for service disruptions to maintain its running time to 36st (Sea Beach beats West End to 36th).

And what is it about EXPRESS SERVICE????? Not needed, get it through your heads, all because trackage is there DOESN'T mean express service is warranted there, whether it is the Culver, West End, Sea Beach, IRT Broadway, White Plains Road (north of E180), Astoria, Pelham (north of Parkchester), Rockaway, Jerome, Jamaica (north of Myrtle) or Nassau.

Well the (N) runs express on the West End for service disruptions to maintain its running time to 36st (Sea Beach beats West End to 36th).

And what is it about EXPRESS SERVICE????? Not needed, get it through your heads, all because trackage is there DOESN'T mean express service is warranted there, whether it is the Culver, West End, Sea Beach, IRT Broadway, White Plains Road (north of E180), Astoria, Pelham (north of Parkchester), Rockaway, Jerome, Jamaica (north of Myrtle) or Nassau.

Also an extra note most of these express tracks were never built for express service originally. They were always built as auxillary tracks in case of an emergency, or a delay, but never for express service.

• 3 weeks later...
There never was any regular express service. During delays, they might run a train express, and that's on any line that ran there.

I have lived on the line for 20 years. We never had regular express service.

Only during G.O.'s, or latenesses trains may be sent on the express track.

Also an extra note most of these express tracks were never built for express service originally. They were always built as auxillary tracks in case of an emergency, or a delay, but never for express service.

Actually, the express track along the West End appears to have been built for express service. The ones that I'd say aren't would be on the (1) (above 96 Street) and possibly (:P(D) (along 6 Avenue). The express tracks only skip 2 stations because of the difficulty of building a lower level platform for a stop such as 14 Street. (14 Street would have been a logical express stop if not for the PATH, per IND's habit of having more stops at the ends and trunks of the lines.)

• 5 weeks later...
Actually, the express track along the West End appears to have been built for express service. The ones that I'd say aren't would be on the (1) (above 96 Street) and possibly (:)(D) (along 6 Avenue). The express tracks only skip 2 stations because of the difficulty of building a lower level platform for a stop such as 14 Street. (14 Street would have been a logical express stop if not for the PATH, per IND's habit of having more stops at the ends and trunks of the lines.)

I didn't realize this post was old.

He was tallking about the West End line, south of 36 st Bklyn, NOT Manhattan.

I didn't realize this post was old.

He was tallking about the West End line, south of 36 st Bklyn, NOT Manhattan.

And I was pointing out which tracks were built for capacity and not speed. It was completely relevant to the content of the post I was replying to. Read it again.

Archived