NYPD top cop Bratton says he’s ‘more or less solved’ stop-and-frisk issues

Turbo19

bratton16n-2-web.jpg
NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton says the controversial use of stop-and-frisk has stopped completely in some communities.

Some minority communities that used to witness several stop-and-frisk incidents a day now see none, NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton said Wednesday.

The city’s new top cop also noted a dramatic drop overall in the controversial practice took place in the waning days of his predecessor Raymond Kelly’s service.

“The problem has been more or less solved,” Bratton, who has been on the job two weeks, told members of the Local Initiatives Support Corporation at a symposium on how safe streets build strong communities.

Speaking at the Ford Foundation on E. 43rd St., Bratton said that “stop and frisk has been stopped in some neighborhoods altogether.”

Approximately 194,000 stop-and-frisk reports were filed citywide in 2013, according to Bratton. That was the last year of Kelly’s tenure as New York’s top cop.

The 2013 number is a major reduction from the 694,000 stop-and-frisk reports logged in 2011 — which Bratton called the “peak” of the practice — and the 532,911 that occurred in 2012, as reported by the New York Civil Liberties Union.

Read More: Source

Personal Statement: Though this is in the right direction I think I can speak for the majority waiting for the day this is ended all together. For the mean while it's great Bratton recognizes this as an issue.

Stop-And-Frisk has been used for years and was ruled as being constitutional because it's a necessary tool that all police forces around the US need in order to curtail crime.  It's only certain aspects of Stop-And-Frisk used by the NYPD that were thrown out.  When crime starts to rise again, we'll see what Bratton has to say then.  Maybe it won't if de Blasio's administration has its way, taxing the rich and upper middle class to give deadbeats handouts.  Why go out and rob illegally when you can do it legally with help from the "gubment"...  <_<

Stop-And-Frisk has been used for years and was ruled as being constitutional because it's a necessary tool that all police forces around the US need in order to curtail crime.  It's only certain aspects of Stop-And-Frisk used by the NYPD that were thrown out.  When crime starts to rise again, we'll see what Bratton has to say then.  Maybe it won't if de Blasio's administration has its way, taxing the rich and upper middle class to give deadbeats handouts.  Why go out and rob illegally when you can do it legally with help from the "gubment"...  <_<

OMFG you are still on this thing with economic class issues and this handouts bullshit? Played out man like a broken record.

What does this have to do with the article on stop and frisk and the new police commissioner? You do understand what problems he had to deal with in serving the LAPD and the race wars over there between the Bloods, Crips, Sureños and MS-13 as well as the Mexican Marfia? Do you?  Apples stones and bricks and steaming piles of shit man. Totally different man coming from a different policing game. Totally.

He made that stance because of the horrific problems with the clashes between ethnic groups in Los Angeles. So he is keen and sympathetic to the issues concerning proper race relations, forget this economic class nonsense with the commish, leave that for DeBlasio to fix.

Idiot teabaggers I swear..... Have you read the news lately or what?

OMFG you are still on this thing with economic class issues and this handouts bullshit? Played out man like a broken record.

What does this have to do with the article on stop and frisk and the new police commissioner? You do understand what problems he had to deal in serving the LAPD and the race wars over there between the Bloods, Crips, Sureños and MS-13 as well as the Mexican Marfia? Do you?  Apples stones and bricks and steaming piles of shit man. Totally different man coming from a different policing game. Totally.

He made that stance because of the horrific problems with the clashes between ethnic groups in Los Angeles. So he is keen and sympathetic to the issues concerning proper race relations, forget this economic class nonsense with the commish, leave that for DeBlasio to fix.

Idiot teabaggers I swear..... Have you read the news lately or what?

This is NYC... Everything is about economic social class issues, especially when talking about crime in this city.  All I know is if crime gets rampant again and spreads to the upscale neighborhoods, I'm heading for Westchester.  There the taxes are high but at least they hire enough police officers to keep the thugs out and crime low.  These liberal yuppies are ruining this city.

This is NYC... Everything is about economic social class issues, especially when talking about crime in this city.  All I know is if crime gets rampant again and spreads to the upscale neighborhoods, I'm heading for Westchester.  There the taxes are high but at least they hire enough police officers to keep the thugs out and crime low.  These liberal yuppies are ruining this city.

Then you'd be complaining about Westchester. It never ends.

What are you talking about? The teabaggers (such as yourself) are trying to make the middle class an extinct species forget the poor! Maybe you need to smoke some good bud have a nice glass of wine or four and get a clue. Way too off the beam leaning off the cliff extreme right intense. Sheesh.

*stay calm realizm...

What are you talking about? The teabaggers (such as yourself) are trying to make the middle class an extinct species forget the poor! Maybe you need to smoke some good bud have a nice glass of wine or four and get a clue. Way too off the beam leaning off the cliff extreme right intense. Sheesh.

*stay calm realizm...

lol... That's a ridiculous accusation... Have you looked around lately? Tons of housing projects and affordable housing... Not my cup of tea but hey, the folks that voted for de Blasio will get the handouts they're looking for... When crime shoots up (and trust me it will) we'll see what they have to say then about Stop and Frisk. 

lol... That's a ridiculous accusation... Have you looked around lately? Tons of housing projects and affordable housing... Not my cup of tea but hey, the folks that voted for de Blasio will get the handouts they're looking for... When crime shoots up (and trust me it will) we'll see what they have to say then about Stop and Frisk. 

Then move to Westchester as you suggested . Bye.

And, what exactly does he mean by "more or less"?

He wants the rich to have it all and the poor to die in the streets, classic psychopath VG8 policy

It's only been two weeks... Let's give de Blasio more time before this city goes downhill... 

Man dude on the real no insult intended, no sarcasm, you need to go into comedy as a side gig. Your comments has me rolling. All good. :lol:

But anyway yeah exactly, you tea party extremists need to stop gridlocking cockblocking the middle class. Take that crap to Argentina or something with the ex Nazis. I'll even pay the ticket. One way.

Now, why am I coming at you hard you wonder after all these ridiculous debates over the same old song?

Well I will say this.... we live in a nation with problems. The extreme right conservative viewpoint will not work in a multicultural nation in the 21st Century. In a segregated country that existed during the wars up to Vietnam it worked only because of police state control which was shattered with the Civil Rights movement. We still have a long way to go. Via Garibaldi 8 get with the times, man. You are a Gen X not an old school Baby Boomer. Learn to be progressive. Because you yourself do not know if you may even fall through the cracks yourself and end up lower class. Noone knows. I dont know. Do you?

Thats the good in the liberal lead towards (as you call it, not my label) towards a true form of democratic goverment where people can have equal opportunity. This is not India where we have a caste system.

Now to get back on topic, we were talking about NYPD policy with the welcoming in on a new commish right fellas?

I question as to why I bother, but f**k it.

Stop and frisk is only constitutional when there is a standing warrant and/or the citizen allows it. Stop and frisk by force as was being practiced by the NYPD is absolutely unconstitutional.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Scarsdale sounds like a lovely community... Expensive, low crime, high property values and no yuppies...

Enjoy the hellhole commute on the W1C.

LOL...  Well with people like de Blasio around, your taxes will go up because there won't be any rich or upper middle class folks left to tax.

Smart one, residents are being taxed at a nearly equal rate at the end of it all, which is why many are for raising the ceiling on the higher income.

And most affordable housing is being lost in favor of "luxury" residences for the dipshits who eat all that crap. As it stands most NYC affordable housing is in a dilapidated state, both literally and metaphorically speaking.

It's only been two weeks... Let's give de Blasio more time before this city goes downhill... 

You were bitching on the first day regardless. Don't pull that card in an attempt to get out.

Now, why am I coming at you hard you wonder after all these ridiculous debates over the same old song?

Well I will say this.... we live in a nation with problems. The extreme right conservative viewpoint will not work in a multicultural nation in the 21st Century. In a segregated country that existed during the wars up to Vietnam it worked only because of police state control which was shattered with the Civil Rights movement. We still have a long way to go. Via Garibaldi 8 get with the times, man. You are a Gen X not an old school Baby Boomer. Learn to be progressive. Because you yourself do not know if you may even fall through the cracks yourself and end up lower class. Noone knows. I dont know. Do you?

Thats the good in the liberal lead towards (as you call it, not my label) towards a true form of democratic goverment where people can have equal opportunity. This is not India where we have a caste system.

Now to get back on topic, we were talking about NYPD policy with the welcoming in on a new commish right fellas?

Hey, I'm an "old school Baby Boomer" and I consider myself progressive in many matters but conservative in others. I remember telling someone on these forums years ago that many Black Americans are more conservative on some issues than many in the GOP. With Dr. King's birthday coming up Monday I ask all of you to take the time to look at the crowd, not him, when he gave his " I Have a Dream " speech. If you're my age you'd recognize that the African-Americans in the audience were mainly church-going conservative people. I think that many younger people are caught up in stereotypes about the poor, mainly Black and Latino. IMO they've been watching too much TV and mistakenly thinking that what they see is part of the educational process. Perhaps they ought to turn off the idiot box and get out more where the real people are. I've done that all my life and I've met White, Black, Latino, Asians, Jamaicans, Haitians, Panamanians,and Native Americans, of all political persuasions. I've learned from my family, friends, schoolmates, co-workers, fellow passengers on buses, trains, planes. Multiculturalism is the word, I think. To those who want to re-segregate, or self-segregate themselves because of stereotypes I'd say you're doing yourself a disservice in the long run. Frankly I find it puzzling that a person half my age appears to be so prejudiced toward their fellow human beings. Except for the so called Tea Partiers even most  young Whites in the South aren't that misguided. Carry on.

Hey, I'm an "old school Baby Boomer" and I consider myself progressive in many matters but conservative in others. I remember telling someone on these forums years ago that many Black Americans are more conservative on some issues than many in the GOP. With Dr. King's birthday coming up Monday I ask all of you to take the time to look at the crowd, not him, when he gave his " I Have a Dream " speech. If you're my age you'd recognize that the African-Americans in the audience were mainly church-going conservative people. I think that many younger people are caught up in stereotypes about the poor, mainly Black and Latino. IMO they've been watching too much TV and mistakenly thinking that what they see is part of the educational process. Perhaps they ought to turn off the idiot box and get out more where the real people are. I've done that all my life and I've met White, Black, Latino, Asians, Jamaicans, Haitians, Panamanians,and Native Americans, of all political persuasions. I've learned from my family, friends, schoolmates, co-workers, fellow passengers on buses, trains, planes. Multiculturalism is the word, I think. To those who want to re-segregate, or self-segregate themselves because of stereotypes I'd say you're doing yourself a disservice in the long run. Frankly I find it puzzling that a person half my age appears to be so prejudiced toward their fellow human beings. Except for the so called Tea Partiers even most  young Whites in the South aren't that misguided. Carry on.

Fine words sir, but what I am saying is that it has changed while the republican party stays stagnant, I am stating this as fact, undeniable. I am a Gen X btw. We may still have moderate conservatives who are with the times in a multicultural United States unlike decades past I realize that fully, but the main point is that the Tea Party are using racial pandering to reach their agenda of receiving the political support of the wealthy and punishing the middle class and esp the poor working class and thiose in poverty. Why? The reason is obvious. It wasn't like the days where we had a multicultural array of conservatives anymore which I was aware of. These days as you well know its the Democratic voters that are people of all races.

I mean why do you think that the Tea Party do not have an anti-povery policy, or any solutions? Because simply, they don't give a shit. They are basically saying 'I've got mines, f**k you.' with the way they are going in filibustering any bill that helps the middle or poor working class. Messed up right?

Martin Luther King even in his peak of activism saw clearly that the republican extreme right wingers (Not moderate conservative republicans I dont think) had the same racial pandering agenda for decades, this is true.

To quote MLK: http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/08/28/2540251/martin-luther-king-republican/

'The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism. All people of goodwill viewed with alarm and concern the frenzied wedding at the Cow Palace of the KKK with the radical right.'

Now to be fair I can understand the concerns of white American moderate conservatives who are also unjustifiably targeted by extremists in forms of reverse racism, who are trying to silence them unfairly when in fact they are up to the multiculturalism ideal. But on the other hand what I dont tolerate is white supremacy. All you damn race-separatist, segregationist haters GTFO with that shit, these Neo-Nazis and KKK members who are secretly influencing the government through the Tea Party, infecting the republican party like a virus, to bring back a new form of neo-apartheid through the creation of an economic capitalist caste system even, if they could. 

Let's all remember the fact that Bratton was the one who instituted Stop and Frisk in the first place, and even he admits here that the whole practice was essentially stopped by Kelly in his last few weeks. This is not news at all. 

Exactly...  Besides he's just going to be de Blasio's puppet anyway.  I see more cops these days standing around with their arms crossed than actually policing and I don't blame them.  

Gangsters, rejoice! You can transport your guns and knives as long as you don't raise suspicion (other than being a minority).

Firearms I understand the reasoning, but knifes are legal, albeit quite restrictive.

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LAWSSEAF.cgi?QUERYTYPE=LAWS+&QUERYDATA=$$ADC10-133$$@TXADC010-133

Archived