NYPD top cop Bratton says he’s ‘more or less solved’ stop-and-frisk issues

Turbo19

You are sounding like a talking parrot.

What do I mean by the model minority myth? I will explain it again.

The way you just erroneously described the Asian American experience in your post. The fact that racists assume that all Asians have it exceptionally easy in life while full of ethnic self hate when it is not so. Are you Asian? Would you know?

I think I would know not all Asians come into this country 'loaded' because first I am from a poor Asian family who worked hard to get where we are all at as all professionals, and second in regards to this ridiculous response that I was the one that made the statement that in reality most Asians are poor to begin with:

http://economichardship.org/asian-americans-the-invisible-poor/

Between 2000 and 2011 the official AAPI poverty rate only increased by .3 percent. Yet during the same period, according to the report, the actual number of AAPIs living in poverty increased by 50 percent, which means there are roughly half a million more AAPIs living in poverty today than there were ten years ago.

“AAPI poor are one of the fastest growing poverty populations in the wake of the Recession,” states the report.

Explain that to the hundreds and hundreds of souls stuck on minimum wage jobs in the Asian ghettos, trapped with no future. Thank you you are helping much in spewing the model minority myth in our faces right here. And making excuses for it like an apologist. Meanwhile I dont make excuses. Thats not because I am Asian in itself by the way, but because I tend to be, as an Asian, a realist instead of a reverse racist.

When did I say that Asians have it easy? In fact I think I stated just the opposite and talked about how hard many of them work.  I have several Asian friends (Chinese, Korean, etc.) and their parents all worked very hard to ensure that their children could have a chance to get a good education and be successful.  I don't need to be Asian to give my opinion.  I am providing it based on my own experiences.  I'm sure there are some Asians that aren't as successful as my friend's families but like I said, there are many Asians who work very hard to ensure a good future for their families.  If you're out working and not blaming the man like other people do that look for excuses, then naturally you're less likely to be stopped and frisked.

If you're out working and not blaming the man like other people do that look for excuses, then naturally you're less likely to be stopped and frisked.

Many people who are stopped and frisked are black working professionals even go figure.

Your little pool of friends does not explain the Asian American experience as a whole.

It doesn't have to... My point was that the Asians that I know are hard working law abiding citizens who don't use excuses and blame "the man" for all of their problems.  <_<

Hey dude, what is this "blaming the man" crap?

That isn't a race issue at all, stop making it one.

It doesn't have to... My point was that the Asians that I know are hard working law abiding citizens who don't use excuses and blame "the man" for all of their problems.  <_<

The Asians you know the one or two persons does not make up the Asian American communities as a whole so you should not be making stereotypical generalizations then, genius.

Ever hear the term racist love? Asian American activist Bruce Chin wrote an article on it.

http://chintalks.blogspot.com/2008/08/racist-love.html

'If the system works, the stereotypes assigned to the various races are accepted by the races themselves as reality, as fact, and racist love reigns. The minority's reaction to racist policy is acceptance and apparent satisfaction. Order is kept, the world turns without a peep from any nonwhite.

One measure of the success of white racism is the silence of that race and the amount of white energy necessary to maintain or increase that silence. Likewise, the failure of white racism can be measured by the amount and kind of noise of resistance generated by the race. The truth is that all of the country's attention has been drawn to white racism's failures.

Everything that has been done by whites in politics, government, and education in response to the failure of white racism, while supposedly anti-racist, can be seen as efforts to correct the flaws, redesign the instruments, and make racism work. The object is to shut up the noise. Do it fast. Do it cheap. White racism has failed with the blacks, the chicanos, the American Indians. Night riders, soldier boys on horseback, fat sheriffs, and all them goons and clowns of racism did destroy a lot of bodies, mess up some minds, and leave among these minorities a legacy of suffering that continues to this day. But they did not stamp out the consciousness of a people, destroy their cultural integrity and literacy sensibility, and produce races of people that would work to enforce white supremacy without having to be supervised or watchdogged by whites.'

Perhaps now you understand the harms in perpertrating the model minority myth? BTW an Asian man wrote that get a clue.

Pretty much arguing with the same user about a past issue isn't going to do much. I can save this whole thread by posting this.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/43168-mta-bus-driver-calls-muslim-boy-10-terrorist-and-denies-him-ride-suit/page-2?do=findComment&comment=724563

Problem solved.

Evidence is right there, straight to the point.

Thank you MC and Turbo for shutting this guy down. Enough is enough with his racist idiocy.

The bigger issue more than  this stop and frisk policy is the fact that there is a concerted effort by those in power to militarize the police as more people are in prison. Statistics show that alarmingly even as incarceration rates of blacks are dropping the rates of inprisonment for whites and hispanics are increasing dramatically over non violent offenses or trumped up criminal charges. This is what I keep on reading on the internet:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/us/incarceration-rates-for-blacks-dropped-report-shows.html?_r=0

"Incarceration rates for black Americans dropped sharply from 2000 to 2009, especially for women, while the rate of imprisonment for whites and Hispanics rose over the same decade, according to a report released Wednesday by a prison research and advocacy group in Washington."

"For white men and women, however, incarceration rates increased over the same period, rising 47.1 percent for white women and 8.5 percent for white men. By the end of the decade, Hispanic men were slightly less likely to be in prison, a drop of 2.2 percent, but Hispanic women were imprisoned more frequently, an increase of 23.3 percent."

The United States houses the largest prison population in the world. And it is getting to the point that men of all color is affected. For all those who actually support this militarization of police throwing race politics in the mix, this is the wake up call. The NYPD must be persuaded to undergo reforms so that none of us do not fall victim to the clutches of the belly of the beast which knows no bounds. You, me, man, woman, black, white, Latino and Asian. 

I think that is what I was trying to say as a progressive and an idealist. The US law enforcement system is becoming overly oppressive, to the point its starting to look like Stalin era Russia in America. No need to argue over race with these alarming figures that shows all races of men in America are becoming more subject to the same harsh treatment of an oppressive f**ked up government.

Thank you MC and Turbo for shutting this guy down. Enough is enough with his racist idiocy.

The bigger issue more than  this stop and frisk policy is the fact that there is a concerted effort by those in power to militarize the police as more people are in prison. Statistics show that alarmingly even as incarceration rates of blacks are dropping the rates of inprisonment for whites and hispanics are increasing dramatically over non violent offenses or trumped up criminal charges. This is what I keep on reading on the internet:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/us/incarceration-rates-for-blacks-dropped-report-shows.html?_r=0

"Incarceration rates for black Americans dropped sharply from 2000 to 2009, especially for women, while the rate of imprisonment for whites and Hispanics rose over the same decade, according to a report released Wednesday by a prison research and advocacy group in Washington."

"For white men and women, however, incarceration rates increased over the same period, rising 47.1 percent for white women and 8.5 percent for white men. By the end of the decade, Hispanic men were slightly less likely to be in prison, a drop of 2.2 percent, but Hispanic women were imprisoned more frequently, an increase of 23.3 percent."

The United States houses the largest prison population in the world. And it is getting to the point that men of all color is affected. For all those who actually support this militarization of police throwing race politics in the mix, this is the wake up call. The NYPD must be persuaded to undergo reforms so that none of us do not fall victim to the clutches of the belly of the beast which knows no bounds. You, me, man, woman, black, white, Latino and Asian. 

I think that is what I was trying to say as a progressive and an idealist. The US law enforcement system is becoming overly oppressive, to the point its starting to look like Stalin era Russia in America. No need to argue over race with these alarming figures that shows all races of men in America are becoming more subject to the same harsh treatment of an oppressive f**ked up government.

Dang man you make everything so clear and elaborate that everybody should understand this.

Which of course enough with the racism, even though I bet it will somewhat continue!

Dang man you make everything so clear and elaborate that everybody should understand this.

Which of course enough with the racism, even though I bet it will somewhat continue!

I have just read that just now, the City of New York has just came to a final conclusion on this stop and frisk policy. Mayor DeBlasio has just announced that he has reached an agreement with the civil rights lawyers involved in Shilndler's original ruling to honor her decision. City Hall is now officially taking action to reform the stop and frisk policy to eliminate the racial profiling aspect and its overuse, dissolving former city mayor Bloomberg and NYPD head Kelly's appeal to the decision. This means Bratton was not joking when he said he will put a stop to the problems associated with this unethical practice.  Its happening now.

Consider it done. The long standing legal battle is now over: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/31/nyregion/de-blasio-stop-and-frisk.html?hp&_r=0

"Mayor Bill de Blasio announced on Thursday that New York City had reached an agreement with civil rights lawyers who had challenged the Police Department’s stop-and-frisk practices, which would allow the sweeping reforms ordered by a federal judge last summer to be carried out.

Those reforms, which included the appointment of a federal monitor, were blocked last fall after the Bloomberg administration appealed the judge’s rulings, which found that the city’s stop-and-frisk policies were unconstitutional and that the department had resorted to “a policy of indirect racial profiling.”

The judge, Shira A. Scheindlin of Federal District Court in Manhattan, had ruled that the policy resulted in “the disproportionate and discriminatory stopping of blacks and Hispanics in violation of the Equal Protection Clause.”

But on Thursday, Mayor de Blasio, seeking to fulfill a long-stated campaign pledge that helped to propel his landslide victory, said his administration had taken a major step toward resolving the polarizing dispute that for years had strained relations between the police and minorities."

I like how de Blasio stopped short of saying that Stop & Frisk will cease because it won't.  The fact remains that Stop & Frisk is needed if he plans on maintaining any sort of hold on the great jobs that the Giuliani and Bloomberg administration did to reduce and or deter crime.  Giuliani's administration got crime under control, and Bloomberg's administration maintained the low crime numbers.  It'll be interesting to see what de Blasio's administration does to fight crime.  He hasn't given any specifics yet, but I'd like to know what they are, and if he plans on increasing the amount of boots on the street, where will the money come from?  

“We believe in ending the overuse of stop-and-frisk that has unfairly targeted young African-American and Latino men.”

I like how de Blasio stopped short of saying that Stop & Frisk will cease because it won't. 

I was expecting you to reply in a hurry.

To answer this question, DeBlasio didnt stop short.  The article posted clearly states that the stop and frisk policy will be reformed, it is official City Hall is ending this legal stalmate over this practice. For the record, Its not the policy itself, its the overuse of the policy in policing which leads to racial profiling. Hope that answers your question.

And edit: If he can end altogether all the better. Exactly.

I was expecting you to reply in a hurry.

To answer this question, DeBlasio didnt stop short.  The article posted clearly states that the stop and frisk policy will be reformed, it is official City Hall is ending this legal stalmate over this practice. For the record, Its not the policy itself, its the overuse of the policy in policing which leads to racial profiling. Hope that answers your question.

And edit: If he can end altogether all the better. Exactly.

Yeah, reformed, but not ended... That's the point. I got it loud and clear, and like I've said many times before, Stop & Frisk is not going anywhere because it's a known effective tool in aiding police to fight crime, so you can expect to still see people get stopped and frisked across the city, this time under de Blasio... The question is will everyone still be yelling about how racist the practice is...

Yeah, reformed, but not ended... That's the point. I got it loud and clear, and like I've said many times before, Stop & Frisk is not going anywhere because it's a known effective tool in aiding police to fight crime, so you can expect to still see people get stopped and frisked across the city, this time under de Blasio... The question is will everyone still be yelling about how racist the practice is...

To answer your latest question as to regards to your perceived fears of people throwing the race card around: Probably not. That is the point of the reforms to be made. If the incidence of racial profiling is indeed brought down, then that will mean that the stop and frisk policy will work as the real criminals will be apprehended. Everyday law abiding citizens will no longer be in fear of the cops. NYPD relations with the respected communities will improve. I wouldn't worry about this.

To answer your latest question as to regards to your perceived fears of people throwing the race card around: Probably not. That is the point of the reforms to be made. If the incidence of racial profiling is indeed brought down, then that will mean that the stop and frisk policy will work as the real criminals will be apprehended. Everyday law abiding citizens will no longer be in fear of the cops. NYPD relations with the respected communities will improve. I wouldn't worry about this.

I just think that some people are misinformed with regards to what de Blasio is doing and think that Stop & Frisk will end totally.  Many may be shocked that it isn't ending.

I just think that some people are misinformed with regards to what de Blasio is doing and think that Stop & Frisk will end totally.  Many may be shocked that it isn't ending.

Stop and frisk, for all intents and purposes, already ended.

Archived