What line should the R179 Run On?

Daniel The Cool

What Line should the R179 Run On  

1. 1. What Line should the R179 Run On

I said the (F) because once the R46 go, they should be replaced with 75ft cars.

AFAIK, the verdict is still out on whether the R-179s will have 4 or 5 doors per side. If they have 4 doors, then they could use them as direct replacements for the R-46s and run primarily on the same lines ((F)(V)(G)(R) respectively) as you seem to suggest. However, if they have 5 doors, there would no longer be any reason why they couldn't be used on the (E) since the dwell times could no longer be blamed on less doors as with the R-46s. Of course, if CBTC is available on some trains and not others, I would think that could further complicate things IF they start implementing it in Queens.

CBTC in Queens will take a very long time. Look how long it took them to get it right on the (L). Having it on Queens Blvd were you have the (E)(F)(G)(R) and (V) will be a HUGE undertaking. Plus, all of the cars in the Jamaica fleet will need CBTC equipment or they will have to do something so that CBTC and non-CBTC trains can run together. Also since Queens Blvd is not isolated like the (7) or (L) line, how will that work?

CBTC in Queens will take a very long time. Look how long it took them to get it right on the (L). Having it on Queens Blvd were you have the (E)(F)(G)(R) and (V) will be a HUGE undertaking. Plus, all of the cars in the Jamaica fleet will need CBTC equipment or they will have to do something so that CBTC and non-CBTC trains can run together. Also since Queens Blvd is not isolated like the (7) or (L) line, how will that work?

Its not for sure whether the MTA wants to put CBTC on the Queens Blvd Line. Right now they wanna focus on the (7) with that.

No other lines besides the (F) that is out of Jamaica is planned to get R160s for sure. The (F) is seeing R160s for reasons outside of Queens.

So assuming the R-179s enter service in Queens before CBTC, they could be assigned to pretty much any of those lines including the (E) provided they have 5-doors per side. If 4-doors, then I guess not.

What are the reasons for the (F) getting R-160s first, or is that not public knowledge yet?

I think the definitive answer to this question would be the line which spends the most time elevated or on the surface while in residential neighborhoods. The newer the model of car, the more silently running, so that would be, and should be, the answer. B)

Why should IND vs BMT really be any consideration at this point? The (R) is based out of Jamaica and is an IND line in Queens, but becomes BMT for the remainder of its route in Manhattan and Bklyn. The same goes for many lines in the B-division. So what qualifies a line as IND and eligibility for R-179 assignment?

So what qualifies a line as IND and eligibility for R-179 assignment?

I think that since the R is considered BMT it should get the R160 set. The same for IND. Ex. the B train should get R179s cause its considered IND. Most B-div lines operate on one another's "property". It wouldn't look right to see the R160s operate on the IND lines, because they mainly run on "BMT property". So I say keep the 160s on BMT lines, and let the 179s on IND lines.

I think that since the R is considered BMT it should get the R160 set. The same for IND. Ex. the B train should get R179s cause its considered IND. Most B-div lines operate on one another's "property". It wouldn't look right to see the R160s operate on the IND lines, because they mainly run on "BMT property". So I say keep the 160s on BMT lines, and let the 179s on IND lines.

That doesn't make sense though. It doesn't matter if its a BMT line, or an IND line, in the end, and now and days, its B Division. Cars should be assigned, wherever they're needed, how however the MTA feels they should be placed. The MTA can change their mind too in a hot second, and we all know it.

Hell, when R160s hit the (Q), I was shocked, and didn't even see it happening so soon. Thats just the ways of the MTA.

There is only A Division and B Division, and within each, the respective distrcts (A: East/West, B: North/South/Queens) and yards. "IND or BMT" Is not an operational consideration. The only operational consideration is the Eastern Division (B Division - Nassau St. Line, Jamaica Line, Myrtle Ave Line, Canarsie Line aka the (J)/(L)/(M)/(Z)) because the track and tunnel clearances are not sufficient to run 75 foot equipment over there.

Archived