EXCLUSIVE: LIRR strike could start in March if MTA declines proposal - NY Daily News

realizm

Perhaps there are posters who have forgotten that the (MTA) runs two railroads ? All things considered the last time I looked neither one was appreciably better/worse than the other. When the (MTA) raises the fares on both, as well as the subways, buses, and SIR which the agency has warned about for years now, let's see where the moving vans go to. IIRC, NYCT, MNRR, and LIRR workers are all working under expired (or soon to be expired) contracts so no region will be spared. Conversely one could come down to south of the Mason-Dixon line and see how much the anti-union folks think your talents are worth. Just sayin'.  Carry on.

Perhaps there are posters who have forgotten that the (MTA) runs two railroads ? All things considered the last time I looked neither one was appreciably better/worse than the other. When the (MTA) raises the fares on both, as well as the subways, buses, and SIR which the agency has warned about for years now, let's see where the moving vans go to. IIRC, NYCT, MNRR, and LIRR workers are all working under expired (or soon to be expired) contracts so no region will be spared. Conversely one could come down to south of the Mason-Dixon line and see how much the anti-union folks think your talents are worth. Just sayin'.  Carry on.

Another great post as always TrainMaster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blame the ones you voted for in Albany who keep taking money away from the MTA.

If the TA was broke then that's another matter as well and i feel things could be worked out, but since that's not the case.

Let the chips fall where they may.

Well I don't live on Long Island so I don't suffer on a daily basis.  I was just giving food for thought.  I think either way things are going to hit a head one way or the other.  You guys may get your raises but someone is going to be sacrificial lamb.  Less pay for the guys coming in or less benefits or something to the effect.  

I certainly haven't, which is one reason I've been riding MNRR less these days.  The mass exodus of the middle class out of NY has been happening for a while now though, but I think increased fares could just exacerbate that even further.  Yes, the (MTA) said that fares would go up but they claimed that the increases wouldn't be as high as originally predicted.  At a time when ridership on most services is booming, high increases is not what the (MTA) needs now.  As for where folks will head, seems like most of your colleagues run to Pennsylvania or Connecticut.  :lol:

What happens to the folks coming I'm sure you are concerned about. Nobody is asking for a lot either now I'm sure. BTW the MTA police got their raise the Supervisors got their raise and that little thing about certain big bosses giving themselves raises kinda makes you think.

What happens to the folks coming I'm sure you are concerned about. Nobody is asking for a lot either now I'm sure. BTW the MTA police got their raise the Supervisors got their raise and that little thing about certain big bosses giving themselves raises kinda makes you think. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You mean the rookies coming in? Good question... 

Was you concerned when the police did the same thing to their new recruits? I'm sure you was in those message boards voicing your concern right? What about the rest of that post it wasn't in question form.

Unlike NYCT, The LIRR is not subject to the Taylor law so they can strike without facing jail time or heavy fines. So this full support is just in good faith and not in actual strike side by side.

Local 100 President John Samuelsen has pledged TWU’s full support to the leaders of the two largest LIRR unions in their current contract dispute with the MTA.

Also note in the picture below, Look at how professional and clean cut the two LIRR TCU men present themselves with pride but our TWU 100 leader looks very shabby. Sameulson is wearing a shirt that is not even tucked into his pants, it looks like it hasn't been ironed since he bought it and it is not even a correctly fitting size for him. This is why people are not taking TWU 100 seriously when we are represented by clowns. This is part of the reason why we are going to lose a lot during this next round of negotiations because of our lame union leaders.

http://www.twulocal100.org/story/local-100-pledges-support-lirr-unions

insolidarity.jpg

Even if we didn't get a raise , they will raise your fares. The past 4 years the fares have been going up without workers having a contract.

so where is the money going to really?

How about posting up everyone's full salary who works for MTA.  From top to bottom?

Perhaps the pension system isn't working.  The pension liability on the balance sheet is unsustainable.  How much higher can fare go? one way peak to zone 4/7...$20 each way? $30? $40?

How about posting up everyone's full salary who works for MTA.  From top to bottom?

Perhaps the pension system isn't working.  The pension liability on the balance sheet is unsustainable.  How much higher can fare go? one way peak to zone 4/7...$20 each way? $30? $40?

I'm pretty sure the salaries are already publicized; how else would the Daily News, Post, and Newsday get all their "OMG LOOK AT THE OT THIS PERSON IS MAKING" stories?

Unlike NYCT, The LIRR is not subject to the Taylor law so they can strike without facing jail time or heavy fines. So this full support is just in good faith and not in actual strike side by side.

Also note in the picture below, Look at how professional and clean cut the two LIRR TCU men present themselves with pride but our TWU 100 leader looks very shabby. Sameulson is wearing a shirt that is not even tucked into his pants, it looks like it hasn't been ironed since he bought it and it is not even a correctly fitting size for him. This is why people are not taking TWU 100 seriously when we are represented by clowns. This is part of the reason why we are going to lose a lot during this next round of negotiations because of our lame union leaders.

http://www.twulocal100.org/story/local-100-pledges-support-lirr-unions

insolidarity.jpg

LOL! You make a good point. Appearances do go a long way in helping get the public on your side. 

Google is your Friend have at it....  

Just dont be shocked when you see most of us not making six figures now ok?

The main problem is that pensions are expensive, period. Are they better than 401Ks for retirees? Sure! But coupled with the fact that LIRR employees are eligible for a portion of their pension payments as young as 50 or 55, and that people are now living longer than ever, this larger source of income is more expensive for the organization that has to provide it (after all, the money has to come from somewhere). I don't think anyone actually disputes that these pensions cost a lot of money; the dispute is whether or not the MTA can afford such promises, which are taking up a bigger portion of the budget every year as the workforce ages and people retire.

Google is your Friend have at it....  

Just dont be shocked when you see most of us not making six figures now ok?

http://nypost.com/2011/07/13/mtas-too-nice-pay/

"People without a lot of overtime and other extras did just fine, too. The average LIRR worker made $84,850, just behind the brass and police at headquarters. The average city transit worker — mostly union members — took in $69,126."

These figures don’t even include benefits. With the MTA’s pension and health-care payments, averages would be in the six figures. "

Assuming no wage increases....I asssume this 2011 article numbers are within ballpark even today.  Average is 84k with total compensation averaging well into the six figures...

Wealthy? not by NYC standards...but its a livable wage.  Of course everything is relative.  Yes, it suxs not to have a raise in years.  I am sure every other union worker ranging from NYPD, NYFD, teachers, etc etc want a raise.  Its sort of a waiting game who gets what....then each union are waiting outside the gates.

For the average LI commuter, this is one potentially expensive commute.  

-gas the car to the LIRR parking

-Pay monthly parking fee  $50-250? per month?

-LIRR $242-325 p/month

-Subway $112 p/month

how high can it go?  Annual commute can climb easily  be 4-8 grand a year....not small change

There are lists out there for anyone to access. I can tell you first hand my numbers are inflated from what my W2 shows. Just saying.

LOL... Uh huh... The (MTA) has cooked books and you have cooked paychecks... Gotta love it.  :lol:

"People without a lot of overtime and other extras did just fine, too. The average LIRR worker made $84,850, just behind the brass and police at headquarters. The average city transit worker — mostly union members — took in $69,126."

These figures don’t even include benefits. With the MTA’s pension and health-care payments, averages would be in the six figures. "

Assuming no wage increases....I asssume this 2011 article numbers are within ballpark even today.  Average is 84k with total compensation averaging well into the six figures...

Wealthy? not by NYC standards...but its a livable wage.  Of course everything is relative.  Yes, it suxs not to have a raise in years.  I am sure every other union worker ranging from NYPD, NYFD, teachers, etc etc want a raise.  Its sort of a waiting game who gets what....then each union are waiting outside the gates.

-LIRR $242-325 p/month

-Subway $112 p/month

how high can it go?  Annual commute can climb easily  be 4-8 grand a year....not small change

That's what I want to know... I think Long Island has a serious issue on its hands... A railroad system that's ridiculously overpriced with prices that constantly increase with no real justification...

-LIRR $242-325 p/month

-Subway $112 p/month

Here is  a question how many folks who work for the MTA Live in NYC? 

They way you sound its like everybody who works down here lives in NYC.

I can name at least 50 people i know who work down here who don't.

Starting with me..

LOL... Uh huh... The (MTA) has cooked books and you have cooked paychecks... Gotta love it.  :lol:

Uh no those actual Numbers... Have you looked at it?

Here is  a question how many folks who work for the MTA Live in NYC? 

NYC & metro standards?  happy?

why does it matter?  MTA employees ride free!  

One of my main point was if someone was making 100k a year which is a good salary, close to 10% of their gross salary for commuting is not small change...or  close to 20% of a 50K salary is put into commuting  or 40% of a 25k salary.  Yes, there are people all over nyc & metro (happy now?) who typically pull that kind of annual salary. 

One of my main point was if someone was making 100k a year which is a good salary, close to 10% of their gross salary for commuting is not small change...or  close to 20% of a 50K salary is put into commuting  or 40% of a 25k salary.  Yes, there are people all over nyc & metro (happy now?) who typically pull that kind of annual salary.

Not all MTA employees ride free. You can't cross commute each agency as an employee. Courtesy between employees is frowned upon by management and I'm not sure but I hear in TA the system is more complicated.

Uhhhhh Nope we dont...

My Pass is only good for NYC Surface and Subways.

Who told you that old wives tale about that?

BTW For those who drive there's tolls for bridges and tunnels as well.

Well Those who are making over a hundred grand a year are working Days off and Overtime for it..

Not all MTA employees ride free. You can't cross commute each agency as an employee. Courtesy between employees is frowned upon by management and I'm not sure but I hear in TA the system is more complicated.

Yes it is but we shall let the very excited poster figure that out on his own.. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived