Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

On 5/31/2018 at 8:42 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You're basing this off of what exactly? I know a lot of people from the Bronx go there, but you could get others going there with the BxM8. One thing that the BxM8 does need is more service on weekends. It serves several transit starved subway areas that really use the bus. They could make service every 30 minutes with every other bus service City Island. It adds 15 minutes tops with the extended trips to City Island. The only issue would be the traffic during the summer and how to contend with that.

I should have edited it to say Bx29 to BxM8 since there's riff raff on the (6) train.  Let's see the failed stand alone route that was once the BxM7B. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The express buses do it to save time. And he said southbound, so it's not like the northbound situation where many people can use the Bx7 & Bx10 interchangably. 

The express buses have no need to run along 231st as they are not serving riders trying to reach the subway. 230th is a different clientele riding wise. The Bx7 has to serve at least part of 231st Southbound for riders going to the subway. As it stands now it does just that before turning and making its way over to 230th and Broadway.

21 hours ago, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

southbound Bx7s should run along 230th St between Riverdale Ave & bway. Not touch 231st at all

There is a major shopping district on 231 Street, as well as a NYPL branch. I know the line turns short of Broadway, but it's still close to the shopping district. This also allows for a seamless transfer with the Bx1 and Bx10.

Now, as for express bus service in Manhattan, depending on load factor dictations, what about combining the BxM7 and BxM8 on weekends? I would have to look at the load factor numbers, but if the BxM7 schedule was pushed back 10 minutes, it could be done operationally.

12 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

There is a major shopping district on 231 Street, as well as a NYPL branch. I know the line turns short of Broadway, but it's still close to the shopping district. This also allows for a seamless transfer with the Bx1 and Bx10.

Now, as for express bus service in Manhattan, depending on load factor dictations, what about combining the BxM7 and BxM8 on weekends? I would have to look at the load factor numbers, but if the BxM7 schedule was pushed back 10 minutes, it could be done operationally.

Stop talking foolishness. There is no reason to combine the BxM7 with the BxM8, and Co-op City residents wouldn't stand for it. I agree with your comments on 231st. Most get off at 231st and either walk or transfer. The amount of time savings would be miniscule at best while inconveniencing tons of people.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

What's that.... Combine the BxM7, 8, AND the 9 on weekends... Splendid idea there.

Who cares about maintaining a riderbase when you can try to get as many buses off the road as possible!

You know who comes up with such asinine ideas. Likely has never even used an express bus before...

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You know who comes up with such asinine ideas. Likely has never even used an express bus before...

Seriously now... It's one thing to want to spur ridership on these routes, it's another to want to combine operations to take buses off the road.... Even if headways were to be halved on these fictional buses, the riders themselves would not want to put up with that added commuting time.... I know I wouldn't.... It's the very reason they came out w/ the 17j in 2000/1 (or whenever it was), for example....

While we're at it, let's fuse the BxM6 with [by "just add(ing) a stop in Parkchester" on] the BxM10... smh... Now that wasn't this dude here that said that, but it's another example of the ignorance being on display when you see some of these suggestions.... It's one of the reasons I signed up to straphangers/rider diaries many moons ago - before the infamous "google maps satellite view" - which still doesn't tell you HOW these routes are actually utilized...

27 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Seriously now... It's one thing to want to spur ridership on these routes, it's another to want to combine operations to take buses off the road.... Even if headways were to be halved on these fictional buses, the riders themselves would not want to put up with that added commuting time.... I know I wouldn't.... It's the very reason they came out w/ the 17j in 2000/1 (or whenever it was), for example....

While we're at it, let's fuse the BxM6 with [by "just add(ing) a stop in Parkchester" on] the BxM10... smh... Now that wasn't this dude here that said that, but it's another example of the ignorance being on display when you see some of these suggestions.... It's one of the reasons I signed up to straphangers/rider diaries many moons ago - before the infamous "google maps satellite view" - which still doesn't tell you HOW these routes are actually utilized...

I could see it now... A tour of Co-op City and then Pelham Bay, Middletown and Soundview...

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

18 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

Now.. I gotta ask this.  Why in god's name you want to combine BxM7 and BxM8. 2 completely different branches.

On 7/1/2018 at 6:48 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Both the BxM7 and BxM8 are heavily utilized routes. That pick-up will be way too long, to the point that the subway might as well be faster. I'd keep them separate.

Both the BxM7 & BxM8 are poorly utilized routes. Neither routes pick-up, so runtime will be short, to the point where if the schedule were to be pushed back 10 minutes, there's no way you can fathom the subway might as well being faster. They should be combined.

Gotta look at that pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png factor... On second thought, anyone believing any of this should have their heads examined....

"Operationally".

On 5/30/2018 at 7:56 PM, R68OnBroadway said:

Another thing: Have they ever tried running the BxM8 to City Island on weekends? It may not be the most demanding area in ridership, but I wonder if you could get less people there to drive if you ran it up there on weekends.

Not everyone who drives there is coming from Manhattan.

On 5/31/2018 at 5:46 PM, N6 Limited said:

They're going to overhaul the Bronx Bus network next, what do you think they will do?

Andy Byford has announced that the bus network redesign process with start each borough with a blank slate, as if there were currently zero service. Of course, some folks won't believe that, and the first public meeting will probably start with someone in the crowd asking, "What have you already decided to cut?"

5 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Andy Byford has announced that the bus network redesign process with start each borough with a blank slate, as if there were currently zero service. Of course, some folks won't believe that, and the first public meeting will probably start with someone in the crowd asking, "What have you already decided to cut?"

LOL

• 2 weeks later...

For the Bx6 SBS, but not the local...I would propose this change:

To Hunts Point Terminal: instead of following the Bx6 along Spofford and Halleck, the Bx6 would instead run straight down Hunts Point Avenue to its end at East Bay Avenue. The SBS stop on Halleck at East Bay would be relocated across the street to Hunts Point and East Bay. It would then rejoin the Bx6 Local south of East Bay.

To Manhattan: via Halleck Street, left on Oak Point Avenue (see below), right on Hunts Point, past Spofford, and regular. No stops would be changed.

To accommodate this change, Oak Point Avenue, a 1-way eastbound street, would be changed to 2-way traffic between Halleck Street and Hunts Point Avenue (it is currently a 1-way pair with East Bay Avenue between Tiffany and Halleck Streets; Oak Point Avenue is then a 2-way street to its namesake rail yard). This plan would save money from fewer turns and a straighter shot.

As for the Bronx Division...I'm surprised a redo is proposed for the Bronx, given that the bus routes were mostly redrawn completely in 1984. (The current Bx19 was two different routes, ending at what was then Lincoln Hospital - the old site now demolished, as one example, and the Bx7 Boston Road was turned over to The Bee-Line System in that redo; the Bx5 short turns between West Farms and White Plains Road are a legacy of the old Bx54.) By contrast, the other boroughs never really saw a wholesale restructuring.

Edited by aemoreira81

9 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

As for the Bronx Division...I'm surprised a redo is proposed for the Bronx, given that the bus routes were mostly redrawn completely in 1984. (The current Bx19 was two different routes, ending at what was then Lincoln Hospital - the old site now demolished, as one example, and the Bx7 Boston Road was turned over to The Bee-Line System in that redo; the Bx5 short turns between West Farms and White Plains Road are a legacy of the old Bx54.) By contrast, the other boroughs never really saw a wholesale restructuring.

The 1984 "wholesale restructuring" was hardly that. Only a few routes were restructured (old Bx30+Bx31 = current Bx19, old Bx3 extended into current Bx17, old Bx6 extended into current Bx30). Some of the rest were only renumbered (old Bx20 = current Bx9, old Bx9 = current Bx31, old Bx42 = current Bx4, old Bx4 = current Bx34, old Bx34 = current Bx6, old Bx29 = current Bx15, old Bx15 = current Bx28, old Bx28 = current Bx39), while other routes were totally left alone.

This time, they're telling us that the process will start from a totally blank map. ("If there were zero bus service, where would it need to run?")

3 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

This time, they're telling us that the process will start from a totally blank map. ("If there were zero bus service, where would it need to run?")

I find that hard to be true, there will be some routes that will most likely be immune when it comes to the redesign, the Bx12, BX41, Q44, and possibly Q50 come to mind

3 hours ago, IAlam said:

I find that hard to be true, there will be some routes that will most likely be immune when it comes to the redesign, the Bx12, BX41, Q44, and possibly Q50 come to mind

Exclude the Q44 and Q50. Those are Queens routes that enter The Bronx. I can’t really see them restructure those 2 lines right away. 

• 2 weeks later...

In an effort to provide more bus and subway connections for the purpose of improving public transportation between The Bronx and Queens in general, I feel the Q44–SBS route should be moderately restructured. As it stands, the Q44–SBS route utilizes the Cross Bronx Expressway Service Road for approximately 50% of its mileage in The Bronx. Other than providing bus connections to the Bx4/Bx4A, Bx5, and Bx22, it serves predominantly residential neighborhoods located along and around the Cross Bronx Expressway, which I feel is in effort to maintain the "straight-shot" approach to the Bronx Zoo. What I propose may be controversial, but I feel aligning the Q44–SBS route with the Bx36–LTD route starting at the Cross Bronx Expressway Service Road and 174th Street, ending at Tremont Avenue and the Grand Concourse, will increase the number of bus and subway connections, in addition to enhancing the Q44–SBS coverage area in The Bronx.

Under the provisions of this proposal, the Q44–SBS would provide passengers with access to the following bus routes (not previously possible) – Bx1/Bx1–LTD, Bx2 (at Tremont Avenue and Grand Concourse), Bx15/Bx15–LTD (at East 180th Street and 3rd Avenue), Bx17 (at East 180th Street and Crotona Avenue), Bx19 (at East 180th Street and Southern Boulevard), and the Bx41, Bx41–SBS (at Webster Avenue and East 180th Street or at Tremont Avenue and Webster Avenue).

Also, passengers would have access to the (B)* and (D) subway lines at the Tremont Avenue Station. *Connection to the (B) subway line available during rush hours only.

If implemented efficiently, I'd be interested in knowing how this works out.

Edited by AlgorithmOfTruth

2 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

In an effort to provide more bus and subway connections for the purpose of improving public transportation between The Bronx and Queens in general, I feel the Q44–SBS route should be moderately restructured. As it stands, the Q44–SBS route utilizes the Cross Bronx Expressway Service Road for approximately 50% of its mileage in The Bronx. Other than providing bus connections to the Bx4/Bx4A, Bx5, and Bx22, it serves predominantly residential neighborhoods located along and around the Cross Bronx Expressway, which I feel is in effort to maintain the "straight-shot" approach to the Bronx Zoo. What I propose may be controversial, but I feel aligning the Q44–SBS route with the Bx36–LTD route starting at the Cross Bronx Expressway Service Road and 174th Street, ending at Tremont Avenue and the Grand Concourse, will increase the number of bus and subway connections, in addition to enhancing the Q44–SBS coverage area in The Bronx.

Under the provisions of this proposal, the Q44–SBS would provide passengers with access to the following bus routes (not previously possible) – Bx1/Bx1–LTD, Bx2 (at Tremont Avenue and Grand Concourse), Bx15/Bx15–LTD (at East 180th Street and 3rd Avenue), Bx17 (at East 180th Street and Crotona Avenue), Bx19 (at East 180th Street and Southern Boulevard), and the Bx41, Bx41–SBS (at Webster Avenue and East 180th Street or at Tremont Avenue and Webster Avenue).

Also, passengers would have access to the (B)* and (D) subway lines at the Tremont Avenue Station. *Connection to the (B) subway line available during rush hours only.

If implemented efficiently, I'd be interested in knowing how this works out.

I would rather have the Q44 stay the way it currently is for reliability reasons. It preserves the Queens-Bronx connection, and people needing further connection should transfer to the subway or other buses in the Bronx. Staying on the Cross Bronx, ensures that the route doesn't suffer from further reliability issues

Talk about the Bronx, I recently rode the Bx46 bus, I don't understand why the MTA still have 2 buses running on this route. It is completely dead, and the areas it serve seems to have no hope of ever generating meaningful ridership

Edited by Mtatransit