Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

It's making it hard for me to quote you, so I'll do it like this.

RE: Bronx Zoo Stop: That's what I meant. I thought he was saying that on the buses that are scheduled to serve the Bronx Zoo, the bus should only stop upon request (though I assume on almost every trip, somebody's requesting that stop).

Yeah, outside of the zoo hours, there wouldn't be a point to stopping there anyway.

RE: Bx34 to Mundy Lane: The thing is that I'd rather have one direct route to the subway that runs frequenctly, compared to 2 routes that run infrequently, with one of them being more circuitous. By having the second (indirect) route running along the eastern part of 233rd, the MTA would likely use it as an excuse to reduce service on the direct route. Maybe there's somewhere in Mount Vernon or Pelham it could go to (I think the BL-54 tuns along Sanford Blvd, so maybe it could replace that).

I think they actually wanted to try that at one point, but they couldn't come to an agreement on how much the buses would pay for damage caused to the streets (I know, stupid, huh?)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BxM18 - Should be extended to Getty Square Yonkers via Riverdale Avenue. Just like the BxM3 runs through Broadway past the border, the BxM18 will run through Riverdale Avenue through the border. May get a few extra riders keeping those deadheads in service.

Bx5 - White Plains Road service runs overnight at 40 minute headways.

Bx5A - new bus running completely on Bruckner Boulevard, restores some service lost in 1999 on part of Bruckner (between White Plains Road and Castle Hill Avenue), gives other areas of Bruckner Boulevard bus service for the first time (or the first time in many years if Bruckner ever had a bus service between Bronx River Avenue and White Plains Road).

Bx36 - Cut back to Grant 174th Street, replaced by Bx36 LTD in Manhattan rush hours and middays, normal other times.

Bx36 LTD - Service expanded to middays, rush hours, and early evenings. Replaces Bx36 in Washington Heights.

Bx39 - Late night service north of Gun Hill Road replaced by Bx41, new late night service begins south of Pelham Parkway running 50 minute headways.

Bx41 - Late night service extended to 241 St

I wouldn't extend Limited service on the Bx36. Limited service for that route has done very little to improve reliability at the expense of riders being able to access less stops.

With the BxM18 extension to Getty Square I feel like the only riders you would get would be those who either currently take the Bxm3 or W8 and transfer to the Bxm18. might as well run it via the BxM3 north of City Line and have it use Valentine Ln to get between Riverdale Av and Bway. That way you don't have to add any new stops.

I agree that the Bxm4 should run on the Concourse but the stops should be on the inner roadway if at all possible. I'm iffy on eliminating service south of Tremont solely because I've seen 165 get used somewhat frequently.

The Bx16 should be the sole route serving Woodlawn creating a one seat ride from Eastchester to Fordham. You can have runs as Fordham Ctr-Mundy Lane; Norwood-Eastchester; Fordham Ctr-Eastchester.

RE: Bx34 to Mundy Lane: The thing is that I'd rather have one direct route to the subway that runs frequenctly, compared to 2 routes that run infrequently, with one of them being more circuitous. By having the second (indirect) route running along the eastern part of 233rd, the MTA would likely use it as an excuse to reduce service on the direct route. Maybe there's somewhere in Mount Vernon or Pelham it could go to (I think the BL-54 tuns along Sanford Blvd, so maybe it could replace that).

I think they actually wanted to try that at one point, but they couldn't come to an agreement on how much the buses would pay for damage caused to the streets (I know, stupid, huh?)

I get what you're saying..... Thing is though, the branch that would run via Woodlawn (the neighborhood) wouldn't be any worse than the Bx34.... never liked the idea of weekday only local routes, and by branching the Bx16 that would change.... Ending buses at Mundy lane does nothing for the Dyre av (5) & Boston/Conner riders seeking the 16 (which is where WB 16 usage picks up at).... I want both branches to continue serving those two stints, b/c Pelham Manor Shopping Plaza itself isn't a big draw as far as the 16 goes.....

Outside of headways, the only thing I'd have to figure out by branching the route is, how much of the service(s) would run down to Fordham.....

yeh, the BL-54 is that little dinky rush hour only route that runs b/w MNRR Mt vernon (east) & fulton/sandford..... there's nothin of interest along sandford (including the BL-54 terminal itself) worth extending the Bx16 to.... south of sandford/fulton is industrial (which is why the BL-55 is heavily reliant on the Dyre av ridership)..... Although I will say having buses run from MNRR Mt. Vernon (east) to Norwood/205th (via mundy, sandford, up S. 5th) might not be too bad an idea if you wanted to send the route somewheres else, if westchester county allowed it of course..... I could see such a route flourishing....

BxM18 - Should be extended to Getty Square Yonkers via Riverdale Avenue. Just like the BxM3 runs through Broadway past the border, the BxM18 will run through Riverdale Avenue through the border. May get a few extra riders keeping those deadheads in service.

Bx5 - White Plains Road service runs overnight at 40 minute headways.

Bx5A - new bus running completely on Bruckner Boulevard, restores some service lost in 1999 on part of Bruckner (between White Plains Road and Castle Hill Avenue), gives other areas of Bruckner Boulevard bus service for the first time (or the first time in many years if Bruckner ever had a bus service between Bronx River Avenue and White Plains Road).

Bx36 - Cut back to Grant 174th Street, replaced by Bx36 LTD in Manhattan rush hours and middays, normal other times.

Bx36 LTD - Service expanded to middays, rush hours, and early evenings. Replaces Bx36 in Washington Heights.

Bx39 - Late night service north of Gun Hill Road replaced by Bx41, new late night service begins south of Pelham Parkway running 50 minute headways.

Bx41 - Late night service extended to 241 St

With your Bx5A, the reasons why Bruckner Blvd between White Plains and Castle Hill don't have service are 1) traffic along the Bruckner service road and 2) demand for Stevenson High School, PS 138, and the nearby Castle Hill Houses.

I guess VG8 does not want the "riff-raff" from Inwood to board his buses lol. I let him explain further.

Well let's see, just about all of the riders that get on in Inwood are white, so I guess that debunks that idea... It's pretty simple. We in Riverdale have a long commute and the few people that get on in Inwood isn't worth running all of these buses through there. And no, they don't have to run through Inwood... They could simply use the Major Deegan just like the BxM2 and BxM18 does.

No, no, no... The BxM3 is good enough. Let the folks in Westchester provide service if they want it so badly. Those buses belong along city lines and should be for us in Riverdale.

Via can be a spokesman for Riverdale & look at matters as it pertains to his particular neighborhood, but either way, I'm not getting why the Bxm3 AND the BxM18 should run to Getty Square.... The BxM3 barely gets riders w/i yonkers as it is.... Now we're gonna send another in-service express route there too? For what, just because the 3 crosses county line, so the 18 should too? In that case, let's extend the BxM1 & the BxM2 to Getty square.....

I agree that the Bxm4 should run on the Concourse but the stops should be on the inner roadway if at all possible. I'm iffy on eliminating service south of Tremont solely because I've seen 165 get used somewhat frequently.

Doesn't necessarily have to be tremont, but something is gonna have to give, if buses were to be sent northward.....

Via can be a spokesman for Riverdale & look at matters as it pertains to his particular neighborhood, but either way, I'm not getting why the Bxm3 AND the BxM18 should run to Getty Square.... The BxM3 barely gets riders w/i yonkers as it is.... Now we're gonna send another in-service express route there too? For what, just because the 3 crosses county line, so the 18 should too? In that case, let's extend the BxM1 & the BxM2 to Getty square.....

Well elongating these lines may just make the (MTA) consider cutting service. If you look at the current lines, the BxM1 and BxM2 are about an hour or so and are easy to turn around and come back to Riverdale. Sending these buses to Getty Square would increase the costs of these routes and certainly would do that for the BxM18 which already is long enough as it is.

I wouldn't extend Limited service on the Bx36. Limited service for that route has done very little to improve reliability at the expense of riders being able to access less stops.
I'm surprised that it's still running. If anything, local service is more reliable than its limited counterpart. The TA should consider removing LTD one day.

No, no, no... The BxM3 is good enough. Let the folks in Westchester provide service if they want it so badly. Those buses belong along city lines and should be for us in Riverdale.

As Daniel Bryan would say, YES, YES, YES! ;)

Well elongating these lines may just make the (MTA) consider cutting service. If you look at the current lines, the BxM1 and BxM2 are about an hour or so and are easy to turn around and come back to Riverdale. Sending these buses to Getty Square would increase the costs of these routes and certainly would do that for the BxM18 which already is long enough as it is.

BxM18 is a one way line, sending that to Yonkers is the equivalent of sending runoffs and putins of the BxM1 and BxM2 to/from Getty Square (like the (5) to 238 St). The BxM18 will run and share some stops with the W8 so it will be in a different area. BxM18 travels a lot further downtown than Metro North or the BxM3 so it may be attractive to some other riders. BxM18 costs wouldn't really increase by much (if any) since they already are going to Yonkers Depot. In the end it is a zero cost due to the reimbursement so it isn't a big issue either way.

Similar to why some express buses run in service in the reverse peak direction (instead of deadhead), running the BxM18 in service in Yonkers is similar.

Edited by GreatOne2k

BxM18 is a one way line, sending that to Yonkers is the equivalent of sending runoffs and putins of the BxM1 and BxM2 to/from Getty Square (like the (5) to 238 St). The BxM18 will run and share some stops with the W8 so it will be in a different area. BxM18 travels a lot further downtown than Metro North or the BxM3 so it may be attractive to some other riders. BxM18 costs wouldn't really increase by much (if any) since they already are going to Yonkers Depot. In the end it is a zero cost due to the reimbursement so it isn't a big issue either way.

Similar to why some express buses run in service in the reverse peak direction (instead of deadhead), running the BxM18 in service in Yonkers is similar.

Uh, it is not a one way line because some of those BxM18s go back to Midtown as BxM2s or BxM1s. Only select BxM18s go to Yonkers Depot after finishing in Riverdale. Currently the BxM18s are given enough layover time and such so that if say they get held up in traffic coming to Riverdale, they can still be on time as BxM2s via Kappock or whatever. We'll go crazy if our service gets screwed up to cater to folks in Westchester when the bus is for us. Why do we need to give more service to Westchester for?? Isn't that what Bee Line is for??? <_<

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Well let's see, just about all of the riders that get on in Inwood are white, so I guess that debunks that idea... It's pretty simple. We in Riverdale have a long commute and the few people that get on in Inwood isn't worth running all of these buses through there. And no, they don't have to run through Inwood... They could simply use the Major Deegan just like the BxM2 and BxM18 does.

Yeah, "all those buses", but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have some service. Just have every other bus stop there or whatever.

Uh, it is not a one way line because some of those BxM18s go back to Midtown as BxM2s or BxM1s. Only select BxM18s go to Yonkers Depot after finishing in Riverdale. Currently the BxM18s are given enough layover time and such so that if say they get held up in traffic coming to Riverdale, they can still be on time as BxM2s via Kappock or whatever. We'll go crazy if our service gets screwed up to cater to folks in Westchester when the bus is for us. Why do we need to give more service to Westchester for?? Isn't that what Bee Line is for??? <_<

So then they could just use BxM1s or BxM2s instead (to provide service going back towards Manhattan), instead of using BxM18s. Or for that matter, just extend whichever ones are deadheading anyway. If they're turning around going back towards Manhattan, then don't extend them.

And does Bee Line run service directly to Manhattan? (Aside from the BxM4C which is completely on the other side of Yonkers). Didn't think so.

Yeah, "all those buses", but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have some service. Just have every other bus stop there or whatever.

The few amount of people getting on there is the reason for the cut backs of the BxM1s to begin with, so no, there is no need to service Inwood.

So then they could just use BxM1s or BxM2s instead (to provide service going back towards Manhattan), instead of using BxM18s. Or for that matter, just extend whichever ones are deadheading anyway. If they're turning around going back towards Manhattan, then don't extend them.

And does Bee Line run service directly to Manhattan? (Aside from the BxM4C which is completely on the other side of Yonkers). Didn't think so.

What does Westchester's service have to do with NYC's service???? Bee Line cut the BxM4C Downtown so now suddenly the city is supposed to subsidize Westchester's bus service and have NYC taxpayers paying for it??? That's ridiculous. While we're at it why don't we just have all of our bus routes go up to Westchester and subsidize their transportation or better yet you can pay for the cost yourself since you're so concerned with Westchester's transportation. <_< What is this thread called again???

You're just arguing for the hell of it because you sit there and complain that the BxM3 never had good ridership, but now suddenly we need to extend yet another route to Westchester.... <_<

The few amount of people getting on there is the reason for the cut backs of the BxM1s to begin with, so no, there is no need to service Inwood.

Very few people use the S55 & S56. Should we cut those as well?

What does Westchester's service have to do with NYC's service???? Bee Line cut the BxM4C Downtown so now suddenly the city is supposed to subsidize Westchester's bus service and have NYC taxpayers paying for it??? That's ridiculous. While we're at it why don't we just have all of our bus routes go up to Westchester and subsidize their transportation or better yet you can pay for the cost yourself since you're so concerned with Westchester's transportation. <_< What is this thread called again???

You're just arguing for the hell of it because you sit there and complain that the BxM3 never had good ridership, but now suddenly we need to extend yet another route to Westchester.... <_<

Uh, no the only reason I would want it is because it would increase revenue because those buses are going up to Westchester anyway.

When did I complain about the BxM3 not getting good ridership? The only time when ridership isn't too good is on Sundays. Aside from that, how much does it really cost to have the bus run that fairly short distance over the city line anyway?

Westchester does have some open door routes serving the Bronx. W45 stops at Pelham Bit Stables and Bartow Pell Mansion, while W60/W61/W62 are open door on Boston Road. W54 has two stops on the Bronx side of Mundy Lane.

MTA did at one time (2007-2008) propose to send the Bx7 to Ludlow MNRR station

Also since the BxM4C has been cut downtown the BxM18 has been picking up the slack below 23 St. I think Bee Line at one time even told BxM4C passengers to transfer to the BxM18 for service below 23 St.

Edited by GreatOne2k

Very few people use the S55 & S56. Should we cut those as well?

You're comparing apples to oranges... You're talking about LOCAL bus service and I'm talking about express bus service to an area that is well served with subways and local buses.

Uh, no the only reason I would want it is because it would increase revenue because those buses are going up to Westchester anyway.

When did I complain about the BxM3 not getting good ridership? The only time when ridership isn't too good is on Sundays. Aside from that, how much does it really cost to have the bus run that fairly short distance over the city line anyway?

Well I see no point in changing all the routes that go to Riverdale just to get this so called "revenue" that you're talking about. It may cost more to shift around runs in the long run. Not worth it. Like I said if Westchester needs service so badly let them pay for the BxM4C restoration to Downtown.

Also since the BxM4C has been cut downtown the BxM18 has been picking up the slack below 23 St. I think Bee Line at one time even told BxM4C passengers to transfer to the BxM18 for service below 23 St.

And so now we're supposed to supplement Westchester's service???? If service was so needed, they would've kept the BxM4C running Downtown.

1) You're comparing apples to oranges... You're talking about LOCAL bus service and I'm talking about express bus service to an area that is well served with subways and local buses.

2) Well I see no point in changing all the routes that go to Riverdale just to get this so called "revenue" that you're talking about. It may cost more to shift around runs in the long run. Not worth it. Like I said if Westchester needs service so badly let them pay for the BxM4C restoration to Downtown.

3) And so now we're supposed to supplement Westchester's service???? If service was so needed, they would've kept the BxM4C running Downtown.

1) Yeah, says the same guy who complained about the lack of express bus service to Yankee Stadium. <_<

2) Key word: May cost more.

3) Westchester supplements our service. The BL-60/61/62 are the only ones running along Boston Road south of Gun Hill Road. No Bronx buses cover that route (plus, all those routes GreatOne2k listed).

1) Yeah, says the same guy who complained about the lack of express bus service to Yankee Stadium. <_<

Well that's a moot point because there's a MetroNorth stop there so that's fine.

2) Key word: May cost more.

Key word: Waste...

3) Westchester supplements our service. The BL-60/61/62 are the only ones running along Boston Road south of Gun Hill Road. No Bronx buses cover that route (plus, all those routes GreatOne2k listed).

Well that's nice of them but last I checked we provide service for NYC, not Westchester.

1) Well that's a moot point because there's a MetroNorth stop there so that's fine.

2) Key word: Waste...

3) Well that's nice of them but last I checked we provide service for NYC, not Westchester.

1) Yeah, but you were still complaining about it. Aside from that, the BxM11 parallels the (2) train and you don't hear any members here asking for it to be cut. Why? Because the (2) doesn't go to the East Side of Manhattan, the same way the (1) doesn't go to the East Side.

2) How much could it realistically waste anyway? It's not like the BxM1/BxM2 are so infrequent that they can't find another bus to make the return trip.

3) So what? The Q5/Q85 go to Green Acres on LI and everybody accepts that. For that matter, the Q46/QM5/QM6 go over the city line to serve Lake Success. The S89 goes into NJ, the Bx16 spends some time serving Mount Vernon along Mundy Lane, and so on.

You act like the route is going deep into Westchester County. It's like a mile to get to Getty Square and the bus is heading there anyway.

1) Yeah, but you were still complaining about it. Aside from that, the BxM11 parallels the (2) train and you don't hear any members here asking for it to be cut. Why? Because the (2) doesn't go to the East Side of Manhattan, the same way the (1) doesn't go to the East Side.

And neither does the BxM11.... It runs down 5th Avenue which is neither east nor west. <_<

2) How much could it realistically waste anyway? It's not like the BxM1/BxM2 are so infrequent that they can't find another bus to make the return trip.

I thought you would know before you came up with that bright idea Mr. Cost Conscious. <_<

3) So what? The Q5/Q85 go to Green Acres on LI and everybody accepts that. For that matter, the Q46/QM5/QM6 go over the city line to serve Lake Success. The S89 goes into NJ, the Bx16 spends some time serving Mount Vernon along Mundy Lane, and so on.

So what? One route has nothing to do with another.

You act like the route is going deep into Westchester County. It's like a mile to get to Getty Square and the bus is heading there anyway.

So what nothing. Let Bee Line pay for it. BxM18 goes to Riverdale and it's for us and we use it. They already have the BxM3, which is barely used up there anyway.

1) And neither does the BxM11.... It runs down 5th Avenue which is neither east nor west. <_<

2) I thought you would know before you came up with that bright idea Mr. Cost Conscious. <_<

3) So what? One route has nothing to do with another.

4) So what nothing. Let Bee Line pay for it. BxM18 goes to Riverdale and it's for us and we use it. They already have the BxM3, which is barely used up there anyway.

1) Yeah, and which side of Central Park is it on? Yeah, that's what I thought.

2) Yeah, and realistically any waste would be covered by additional ridership generated.

3) So your whole point about NYCT & MTAB being only for NYC residents is complete BS.

4) Good. So they'll write us out a check for $0. Excellent idea.

1) Yeah, and which side of Central Park is it on? Yeah, that's what I thought.

What does Central Park have to do with 5th Avenue? Like I said 5th Avenue is neither west nor east. I think I know since I work on 5th Avenue. It serves as the division line between East and West in Manhattan. <_<

2) Yeah, and realistically any waste would be covered by additional ridership generated.

Based on what evidence??

3) So your whole point about NYCT & MTAB being only for NYC residents is complete BS.

I don't think NYC residents think that wasting tax dollars on Westchester residents is complete BS when we have neighborhoods here in NYC without even local bus service, but I'm sure that's okay though. Let's keep worrying about Westchester right??

4) Good. So they'll write us out a check for $0. Excellent idea.

They can save the check and just restore service for their residents.

1) What does Central Park have to do with 5th Avenue? Like I said 5th Avenue is neither west nor east. I think I know since I work on 5th Avenue. It serves as the division line between East and West in Manhattan. <_<

2) Based on what evidence??

3) I don't think NYC residents think that wasting tax dollars on Westchester residents is complete BS when we have neighborhoods here in NYC without even local bus service, but I'm sure that's okay though. Let's keep worrying about Westchester right??

4) They can save the check and just restore service for their residents.

1) It's further east than the (2). And aside from that, Madison Avenue is east of 5th Avenue, which means that if you want to BS me about 5th Avenue not being on the East Side, then you have to acknowledge that Madison Avenue is on the East Side.

2) One question mark is enough. Geez.

In any case, based on the fact that the cost to do the extension is close to nothing anyway, and while the BxM3 doesn't get a whole lot of ridership from Yonkers, at least it gets a few riders from that area. Do you want me to sit there and calculate exactly how close to nothing the extension would cost (which would easily be made up or more than made up by additional revenue anyway)? <_<

3) What tax dollars? Any additional costs would be paid for by the new riders attracted to the route, and the route could end up even making money.

4) What the hell are you talking about? The cost is nothing, especially when you include additional ridership attracted. Do you want them to take that $0 and apply it towards their own services? Fine, then their services won't improve.

1) It's further east than the (2). And aside from that, Madison Avenue is east of 5th Avenue, which means that if you want to BS me about 5th Avenue not being on the East Side, then you have to acknowledge that Madison Avenue is on the East Side.

Nice try... It uses the East Side going back to the Bronx, NOT going to Manhattan, which was what we were discussing. <_<

2) One question mark is enough. Geez.

Maybe it will be when you answer the question.

In any case, based on the fact that the cost to do the extension is close to nothing anyway, and while the BxM3 doesn't get a whole lot of ridership from Yonkers, at least it gets a few riders from that area. Do you want me to sit there and calculate exactly how close to nothing the extension would cost (which would easily be made up or more than made up by additional revenue anyway)? <_<

Yes and then you can calculate what it would cost to reconfigure all of the runs in question just to have these few "potential" riders in Yonkers use the BxM18. <_<

3) What tax dollars? Any additional costs would be paid for by the new riders attracted to the route, and the route could end up even making money.

What new riders? The BxM3 barely gets any riders up there and then you come along like suddenly folks from South Yonkers are now going to be flocking to the express bus because they've suddenly got money to blow on the express bus. <_<

4) What the hell are you talking about? The cost is nothing, especially when you include additional ridership attracted. Do you want them to take that $0 and apply it towards their own services? Fine, then their services won't improve.

Yeah it's fine because this a NYC bus thread, not a let's improve Westchester's bus service thread... <_<

1) Nice try... It uses the East Side going back to the Bronx, NOT going to Manhattan, which was what we were discussing. <_<

2) Maybe it will be when you answer the question.

3) Yes and then you can calculate what it would cost to reconfigure all of the runs in question just to have these few "potential" riders in Yonkers use the BxM18. <_<

4) What new riders? The BxM3 barely gets any riders up there and then you come along like suddenly folks from South Yonkers are now going to be flocking to the express bus because they've suddenly got money to blow on the express bus. <_<

5) Yeah it's fine because this a NYC bus thread, not a let's improve Westchester's bus service thread... <_<

1) What the hell difference does it make which direction it is? The point of the matter is that it serves an area not served by the (2).

2) Well you have to give me a chance to answer the question first, don't you?

3) First of all, I have to know which runs are interlined and which aren't (and I already said that if worse comes to worse, you could always extend the ones that aren't interlined. For instance, it looks like that 5:15PM bus from Downtown isn't interlined with anything.

Aside from that, B/Os get paid $30 an hour (or something like that). If they have to wait an extra 15 minutes because the interlining changed, that's a whopping $7.50 at most. (Which could easily be made up if you attract 2 extra riders)

4) So what? You don't need people to be "flocking" to the bus to make up the cost because it would be close to nothing anyway. You only need a couple of riders and the extension will actually generate more revenue.

5) ...using an NYC bus route.