Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I get it. I agree... That's stupid. Unless the buses are packed to the rafters, you have to use what's available. It would be best to identify which trips are overcrowded, and put artics on them accordingly. What I think needs to definitely be addressed though is how many buses are running late. They need to address the bunching problem, which is likely a main reason why some trips are so packed.

With that new school on White Plains Road and Bruckner Blvd, Complete HELL by the time it opens, and coincidentally a bus stop is right at the door of that new school. Bx36 is gonna skyrocket, hopefully we get all 5 XN60s testing to shorten the time that they'll be drafted into service and not a repeat episode of 673 - 677 where only 1 bus made it and the other sent back for months.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

He wants only the Limited trips to use artics, and that just isn't feasible without completely changing the way every single run is set up.

I'll use an example...

Operator X starts his day and his first trip to Hunts Point is on the local. Going by his logic, he naturally should get a shorty (we'll say 7746). He finishes his first trip, and his next trip going to Washington Heights is also a local. Finishes that trip also with no problem.

Now his next trip to Hunts Point is a limited trip. Once again, going by his logic, he's supposed to have an artic. Operator X has 7746 and has a limited trip to do to Hunts Point. Now what is he to do?

That's the whole point I'm trying to make...

Get fired for operating a Bx36 to Hunts Point.

(you meant Soundview... or West Farms (the neighborhood) if it's a short turn)

Anyway, I'd also like an answer to that hypothetical....

I don't understand why these two are making such a big stink about it as if routes don't switch from 40 footers to artics because of overcrowding. That's why they're ordering more artics anyway...

I got Fresh Pond's point; what I don't understand is this specific honing in on the LTD on the Bx36 by WestFarms36 as it relates to the route's ridership... He uses the Bx12 in comparison to make a point, but the huge difference is 40'-ers aren't being ran on the Bx12 in any capacity (pun unintended).... He's stating that the locals should use 40'-ers on the Bx36.

FP stating that an op' can do a trip on the LTD & the next one could be a local, and the reaction/response to that is:

"Well RIP Bx36 1947 - 2017"

Seriously now......

No one is saying it should have it's own fleet and show off the route, obviously bus drivers get different routes, and you are not getting the point, the Bx36 LIMITED is crowded and needs articulated buses to mitigate overcrowding like now.

Alright, we get it - the Bx36 LIMITED is crowded.... Nobody's disputing any of that.

Just convert the route to all artics & be done with it - including the locals.

If it's anybody that's complicating anything here, it's you:

Well if the problem is the setup of the run, then the runs on the Bx36 should be restructured to accomodate use of artics for the LIMITED, Garibaldi makes sense on this it is inexcusable that runs can't be restructured to accomodate them. If the Bx12 Local & SBS are treated as separate routes for Bus fleet accomodations then the Bx36 LOCAL and LIMITED should be treated as separate routes to make it work.

if the Bx36 operates on a run based system (Local - Limited and vice versa) then restructure the runs to make accommodations and tweaks to the route, and your statement was like saying a D60HF on the Bx12 Local goes +SBS+ back. Bx12 Local and SBS are basically the same routes but their fleet is not interfering with both services on the route, same should be for the Bx36 LIMITED and Local, LIMITED with artics and Local with 40 Footers that simple it ain't rocket science, it just requires adjustments and reconfigurations of the route setup.

Edited by B35 via Church

I got Fresh Pond's point; what I don't understand is this specific honing in on the LTD on the Bx36 by WestFarms36 as it relates to the route's ridership... He uses the Bx12 in comparison to make a point, but the huge difference is 40'-ers aren't being ran on the Bx12 in any capacity (pun unintended).... He's stating that the locals should use 40'-ers on the Bx36.

FP stating that an op' can do a trip on the LTD & the next one could be a local, and the reaction/response to that is:

Seriously now......

Alright, we get it - the Bx36 LIMITED is crowded.... Nobody's disputing any of that.

Listen Ik I keep stressing about the Bx36 but towards the end there is no reason for you to make it seem as a roasting session when what is basically occurring a civil discussion about the issues of a certain bus route that in particular is known for its issues and as well as this thread being "Bronx Division Proposals/Ideas" not referring to people as "complications" and besides that, literally throwing a mouth bomb in their faces in a Proposal/Ideas thread.

Listen Ik I keep stressing about the Bx36 but towards the end there is no reason for you to make it seem as a roasting session when what is basically occurring a civil discussion about the issues of a certain bus route that in particular is known for its issues and as well as this thread being "Bronx Division Proposals/Ideas" not referring to people as "complications" and besides that, literally throwing a mouth bomb in their faces in a Proposal/Ideas thread.

What I'm making it "seem" like, is that it's even less like "rocket science" to have Bx36 locals AND limited run artics...

(compared to your solution of only having the one service on the Bx36 [the LTD's] run artics)

The irony to your little rant there, is that your posts in this discussion come off as high strung..... So basically, spare me the riot act about etiquette; this isn't a roasting session in the slightest.... Let's not sit here & make like this is some sort of an attack on you because your solution is being contested....

Seriously now......

Another possibly is to add more short-turns and start them near Parkchester or something. I think they already do that unofficially, but again if buses are bunching then it doesn't help that much.

Another possibly is to add more short-turns and start them near Parkchester or something. I think they already do that unofficially, but again if buses are bunching then it doesn't help that much.

Yup... Which goes back to the last discussion we had about the Bx36 about a month or so ago in this thread.

I just don't care for this whole, let's treat the LTD & the local like they're separate routes bit..... There's enough of that shit going on with routes that have both SBS & local service - with which the latter is being seriously shortchanged....

Edited by B35 via Church

Yup... Which goes back to the last discussion we had about the Bx36 about a month or so ago in this thread.

I just don't care for this whole, let's treat the LTD & the local like they're separate routes bit..... There's enough of that shit going on with routes that have both SBS & local service - with which the latter is being seriously shortchanged....

From my personal experiences with the Bx36, I would get off of the first BxM8 bus to Pelham Bay at Bruckner Blvd and White Plains Rd on Sunday morning, walk down White Plains Rd and then wait for the Bx36 since it put me closest to my tutoring session (was near one of the schools in the area). However, I found the waits to be ridiculous (buses were regularly late, even that early in the morning), so after walking to my session the first time in 10 minutes, I realized that it was completely unnecessary to even bother with it and never bothered using it unless it was there and I didn't feel like walking over to the BxM8.  One reason they may be hesitant to add more service is because the line sees an incredible amount of farebeating. It has to be right up there with the Bx6 in that regard.  Boarding at the first few stops there in Castle Hill, you see hoards of people either giving a story or simply not paying, and I suspect most of these types are the folks in the housing projects, which look to be huge (never bothered to venture in that direction, as I already knew the deal lol).  

I kind of figured out rather quickly that the part that I was going to was mainly homeowners who clearly drove and didn't use the local bus, so I would just go straight to the BxM8 and not bother with any local bus after a while.  Castle Hill supposedly has a few areas where the people feel as if they've "made it" being homeowners or whatever so while working class, they give off the I'm middle class aura. lol Similar to parts of the Shorehaven/Clason Point area not too far away I suppose. Seemed like for the few times that I used the Bx39 over there that people had a tendency to pay more on that line even though it runs in the general vicinity, but I also got the impression that there's a bit of segregation between the homeowners and project folks, so those folks may stick strictly with the Bx36, which makes sense, as the Bx39 is bit further away for them.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

From my personal experiences with the Bx36, I would get off of the first BxM8 bus to Pelham Bay at Bruckner Blvd and White Plains Rd on Sunday morning, walk down White Plains Rd and then wait for the Bx36 since it put me closest to my tutoring session (was near one of the schools in the area). However, I found the waits to be ridiculous (buses were regularly late, even that early in the morning), so after walking to my session the first time in 10 minutes, I realized that it was completely unnecessary to even bother with it and never bothered using it unless it was there and I didn't feel like walking over to the BxM8.  One reason they may be hesitant to add more service is because the line sees an incredible amount of farebeating. It has to be right up there with the Bx6 in that regard.  Boarding at the first few stops there in Castle Hill, you see hoards of people either giving a story or simply not paying, and I suspect most of these types are the folks in the housing projects, which look to be huge (never bothered to venture in that direction, as I already knew the deal lol).  

I kind of figured out rather quickly that the part that I was going to was mainly homeowners who clearly drove and didn't use the local bus, so I would just go straight to the BxM8 and not bother with any local bus after a while.  Castle Hill supposedly has a few areas where the people feel as if they've "made it" being homeowners or whatever so while working class, they give off the I'm middle class aura. lol Similar to parts of the Shorehaven/Clason Point area not too far away I suppose. Seemed like for the few times that I used the Bx39 over there that people had a tendency to pay more on that line even though it runs in the general vicinity, but I also got the impression that there's a bit of segregation between the homeowners and project folks, so those folks may stick strictly with the Bx36, which makes sense, as the Bx39 is bit further away for them.

How sway?

The fare is $2.75 for local buses. If they're taking the local bus, I don't see why they'd be paying more than that amount.

How sway?

The fare is $2.75 for local buses. If they're taking the local bus, I don't see why they'd be paying more than that amount.

You misunderstood.  By paying more, I meant there was less farebeating as opposed to the Bx36.  The Bx36 terminates right by the housing projects. The Bx39 does not Southbound, so that likely explains it.

• 4 weeks later...

You misunderstood.  By paying more, I meant there was less farebeating as opposed to the Bx36.  The Bx36 terminates right by the housing projects. The Bx39 does not Southbound, so that likely explains it.

WHAT DOES TERMINATING BY A HOUSING PROJECT HAS TO DO WITH ANYTHING?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

WHAT DOES TERMINATING BY A HOUSING PROJECT HAS TO DO WITH ANYTHING?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

Oh don't play dumb. You know damn well all of those people don't pay, that's what. I've seen it with my own eyes, and their thinking is why should they? It's not that they can't afford to. They just have their priorities out of order. They have expensive clothing on more times than not but can't pay the fare. Some of them will dip an empty Metrocard and pretend like they didn't know nothing is on it. Some will drop a few coins in the farebox (and I do mean a few as if they're senior citizens) and some will walk right on by the farebox. The people that actually pay are FAR less than those that don't. You could accuse me of stereotyping, but unfortunately that wouldn't fly since I've seen this all go down on numerous occasions, so it's the truth. In fact it's so common that the B/O's usually just waive them on rather than hear their sorry excuse as to why they can't pay. I found the whole thing appalling and it's part of why the fare keeps going up. Those of us that pay have to pay for all of the people not paying. It's pathetic. I've only used a handful of Bronx local buses, but God I have to think that the farebeating is as bad there as it is on some of the Staten Island local buses, and interestingly enough, most of those Staten Island lines either terminate or run through housing projects as well, so there's this mentality of I don't have to pay because I'm entitled to a free ride. Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Oh don't play dumb. You know damn well all of those people don't pay, that's what. I've seen it with my own eyes, and their thinking is why should they? It's not that they can't afford to. They just have their priorities out of order. They have expensive clothing on more times than not but can't pay the fare. Some of them will dip an empty Metrocard and pretend like they didn't know nothing is on it. Some will drop a few coins in the farebox (and I do mean a few as if they're senior citizens) and some will walk right on by the farebox. The people that actually pay are FAR less than those that don't. You could accuse me of stereotyping, but unfortunately that wouldn't fly since I've seen this all go down on numerous occasions, so it's the truth. In fact it's so common that the B/O's usually just waive them on rather than hear their sorry excuse as to why they can't pay. I found the whole thing appalling and it's part of why the fare keeps going up. Those of us that pay have to pay for all of the people not paying. It's pathetic. I've only used a handful of Bronx local buses, but God I have to think that the farebeating is as bad there as it is on some of the Staten Island local buses, and interestingly enough, most of those Staten Island lines either terminate or run through housing projects as well, so there's this mentality of I don't have to pay because I'm entitled to a free ride.

No need to accuse you of stereotyping because 70% of your post is stereotyping! But you know what..... Its not just the Projects. it happens in Riverdale too.. I KNOW!!!! I SEEN IT AS WELL!!!!!

No need to accuse you of stereotyping because 70% of your post is stereotyping! But you know what..... Its not just the Projects. it happens in Riverdale too.. I KNOW!!!! I SEEN IT AS WELL!!!!!

Of course it does.  All of the kids that come to Riverdale from Yonkers, the Bronx and elsewhere.  I saw it this evening waiting for the BxM2 bus. Two kids were apparently playing basketball. Walked to the bus stop and got on the Bx10 with a story and they did not live in Riverdale.  My point is it isn't residents of Riverdale doing it. We can afford to pay the fare.  We have people coming up here from all over the place, especially in the summertime. Luckily summertime is almost over.   :D

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Of course it does.  All of the kids that come to Riverdale from Yonkers, the Bronx and elsewhere.  I saw it this evening waiting for the BxM2 bus. Two kids were apparently playing basketball. Walked to the bus stop and got on the Bx10 with a story and they did not live in Riverdale.  My point is it isn't residents of Riverdale doing it. We can afford to pay the fare.  We have people coming up here from all over the place, especially in the summertime. Luckily summertime is almost over.   :D

And best believe people in the projects CAN pay as well! THEY JUST CHOOSE NOT TO!

• 9 months later...

Sorry for bumping this thread, but...

How does the Bronx do in terms of buses? Are they slower/routes outdated or are they better? I heard somewhere that the Bronx local routes will be next for overhaul after the SI express bus changes, so what do you think should be changed?

Another thing: Have they ever tried running the BxM8 to City Island on weekends? It may not be the most demanding area in ridership, but I wonder if you could get less people there to drive if you ran it up there on weekends.

12 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

No, they have not tried running the BxM8 to City Island on weekends. It would be a waste, IMO. That's why there's the Bx29 to the (6) 

You're basing this off of what exactly? I know a lot of people from the Bronx go there, but you could get others going there with the BxM8. One thing that the BxM8 does need is more service on weekends. It serves several transit starved subway areas that really use the bus. They could make service every 30 minutes with every other bus service City Island. It adds 15 minutes tops with the extended trips to City Island. The only issue would be the traffic during the summer and how to contend with that.

14 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

They're going to overhaul the Bronx Bus network next, what do you think they will do?

IMO the Bronx express bus routes are set up the best, but something needs to be done with the BxM4 for sure.  I heard on the news the other day that they're looking to revelop a part of Yonkers that the BxM4 could serve to make the line more viable and more attractive for Woodlawn and allow for some BxM4 buses to not serve the South Bronx. As it stands now, the BxM4 can't survive with just Woodlawn alone.  It needs the riders at 158th and 165th which is a good portion of  the rush hour crowd outside of areas like Bedford Park and Norwood.  I wouldn't tinker much with the other BxM routes because they already are set up decently, but I would have the BxM8 serve City Island more often for sure. I think that's a market that isn't being tapped enough.   As it stands now, the BxM4 has been tinkered with to give it a "jolt".  They cut down on the number of stops along the Concourse to get it to Woodlawn faster, and they extended service to run later during the week to Woodlawn.

I think the Bronx local bus network is especially challenging because of how the borough is chopped up and how hilly it is.  The only true crosstown bus is the Bx12, and even that is debatable, but again the topography forces routes to meander around and up and down hills.