Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No one's saying otherwise.....
He thanked your post... lol. Anyways:

Bx1: Extend via Riverdale Ave to 246 street. That extension was short lived during the '80s, and was cut back to 231 St for a reason. Originally, the Bx1 terminated at 231/Broadway.

Bx3: Rerouted via Macombs Road,then in Bx11 route to GWB weekdays

Bx11: Rerouted via Macombs Road and Unversity Avenue to Replace Bx18 and Allieviate Bx3/Bx36

I wouldn't mess around with the Washington Hts routes due to heavy congestion in that area.

Bx4: Extended to Pelham Bay Park and Co-Op City via Bx23 routing. That would be one hell of a ride... plus, you have the Bx8/21/24 running below the (6) el.

Bx5: Extended via Einstein Loop to City Island B/O's might have trouble turning artics around. Plus, it makes no sense to go to Pelham Bay, loop around Einstein Loop, return to Pelham Bay, and then go to City Island.

Bx7: Rerouted via H H P The MTA should eliminate the Bx20, create the Bx7A via Henry Hudson for rush hours only, and call it a day.

Bx10:Some Sevice originates at 207 street in Manhattan (2AM and 2PM Trips to 207 street). Limited stop service all day weekdays from 6 Am-10 PM Not a good idea, since the Bx10's destination is Norwood. Add extra Bx7 service if the Bx20 gets the axe one day.

Bx13: Some service extended to Hunts Point 163 St/Southern Bl or the Food Center? It might be useful to alleviate overcrowding at 161/163 Sts.

Bx16: Service extended to Fordham via bx34 route weekdays and Saturdays I always thought that the Bx16 and Bx34 routes should've been combined from the get-go...

Bx18:Eliminated, see Bx11/Bx40/42 The Tremont Av routes are already long enough.

Bx24: Extended along Weatchester Avenue and Metropolitan Avenue to the Hub using Hybrids; Short-turns Aling Westchester Avenue and Metropolitan from WF using CNG Buses The MTA might as well restore the original Bx14, but that won't happen since Parkchester residents like the Bx4A as it is. Plus, artics are needed as it has high ridership during the weekday rush.

Bx28: Retain and revert to 6/2010 routings

Bx38: Make it the limited stop version of the Bx28 skipping Northern Co-Op city 7 days a week while some are local short-turns only to 205 street Yep, a LTD variant should be created via 1-2-3-4-5 and Gun Hill, and it would terminate at Fordham Center. Locals would end at Norwood instead (and maybe skip northern Co-op City).

Bx36; Limiteds take Castle Hill and Cross Bronx Expressway. Just Kidding, Retain ALL Service I hate the Bx36 LTD. I'll be happy if the MTA axes ltd service.

Bx40: Limited making stops at major intersections during the day, local past 10 PM, and extended to Current Bx18 terminal via Segdwick/Undercliff Avenue to below the GWB LTD service, agreed, but only weekdays where it's most needed. Replace the Bx18, not necessary.

Bx42: Extended via Segdwick/Undercliff to current Bx18 terminal Too long. Leave the Bx18 as it is.

He thanked your post... lol.

I shrugged when I saw that.... Guess it's his way of acknowledging the point.

Bee-Line 1X was creating for students and employees going to Westchester Community College.

Exactly.... the BL-3 is not an alternative for the 1x.... and the 1x definitely should not get eliminated, regardless.....

The 3 swings all the way over to Purchase, via White Plains......

Bronx Bus Overhaul (Update 1)

Southwest Bronx

Bx13: if Hunts Point extension is not a great idea, I’m thinking about combining two previous ideas. It would run to The Hub, but via the Gateway Center Mall. It would replace the Bx2 in The Hub. However, I’m a bit skeptical about how the Bx13 will make the turn from 161st St onto River Av (and viceversa) with the high pedestrian traffic from Yankees’ games, the courts, and residents.

Route: 161st St, River Av, 149th St, Bergen Av, Westchester Av, Melrose Av

The only extension I would make with the 13 (if any) would be to send it to the hub..... That to me, makes more sense than sending the 13 to Hunts Pt.

Bx11: runs between West Farms Rd/Southern Blvd and River Park Towers

replaces Bx18 in Morris Heights, use Bx13/35 for Washington Heights

Route: 168th St, 167th St, Sedgwick Av, Tremont Av, McCracken Av, Harlem River Park Bridge, Undercliff Av

Why this routing, over simply having it continue on the current 11 route on over to 170th st (4), where it would then take on the 18 route to Morris Hgts...

North Bronx

Bx7/20: rerouted between 231st St and 225th St via Bailey Av to avoid congested stretch of Broadway

Route: 231st St, Bailey, 225th St, Broadway

This is moot.... The current turn buses make onto 231st heading towards Riverdale is no worse than the current turn you want buses making off 225th onto Broadway heading towards Manhattan.... Yes, Broadway is traffic ridden, but how much time do you really think would be saved by doing this.....

Bx30: runs from Earhart Lane to 231st/Bway

rerouted via 222nd St to fill crosstown gap and serve Edenwald/Baychester Houses and Cardinal Spellman HS

use new Bx14 for Boston Rd

route: Boston Rd, Grace Av, 229th St, Laconia Av, 222nd St, White Plains Rd, Gun Hill Rd, Bainbridge Av, Mosholu Pkwy, Sedgwick Av, Giles Pl, Heath av, Albany Crescent, Bailey Av, 231st St

What is all this (underlined)??? This is worse than what the current Bx10 does to get to 231st (1).....

Southeast Bronx

Bx4A: absorbed onto Bx4, use Bx14 for Metropolitan Avenue

As long as something serves Met. av within Parkchester towards Parkchester (6).....

Bx14: new Boston Road route running between Dyre Av (5) station and Turnbull/Pugsley Avs (Stevenson High School)

replaces Bee-Lines and Bx30 on Boston Rd, Bx4A on Metro Av, and Bx36 on White Plains Road

Route: Dyre Av, Boston Rd, Bronx Park East, Bronxdale Av, Castle Hill Av, Metropolitan Av, McGraw/Wood Avs, White Plains Rd, Turnbull Av, Pugsley Av, Lafayette Av

Well, I'll give you points for creativity... But overall, I have mixed feelings about this one...

Bx37: runs between Fordham plaza and Flushing (7) station

makes Limited stops between Flushing and Parkchester, then local to Fordham

Replaces Bx36 on 174th St and Q44 on Cross Bx/Flushing

Is this supposed to be your version of the "Q94"? lol.....

Interborough Routes

Q44: terminates at College Point via Q20A path, Q20 local takes Q20B’s place

Use new Bx37 for Flushing-to-Bronx service

Underestimating the amt. of folks that use the Q44 from the Bronx, to points south of the (7)..... Not sure if I like that part of the idea....

Aside from that, if you're gonna relegate the Q20a to the Q20b's routing to send the 44 along the 20a's routing, then you won't really need the 20.... Just have 44 locals & 44 LTD's......

Bee-Line 60/61/62: new southern terminus is Eastchester/Dyre Av (5) station

use restructured Bx14 for Boston Road and Bx12/22 for Fordham Road

Not saying I agree or disagree.... but the general idea would work with what Shortline alluded to earlier... Instead of truncating all of them at Dyre av subway, you can have one of the routes end somewhere within Co-op, and the other remaining to ending at Fordham plz...

I wouldn't have the BL-52, 55, 60/62 & the 61 - On top of an extended Q50, your Bx14, and the current Bx16 all directly serving Dyre av subway.... That area is not suitable to have too many buses at/around it

Only commented on the ones that were different from your original plan....

Replies in red

I shrugged when I saw that.... Guess it's his way of acknowledging the point.

Exactly.... the BL-3 is not an alternative for the 1x.... and the 1x definitely should not get eliminated, regardless.....

The 3 swings all the way over to Purchase, via White Plains......

Only commented on the ones that were different from your original plan....

Replies in red

The reason why I don't have the Bx11 run via Macombs and W Tremont is because it gets high usage on 168th St in High Bridge. Without the Bx11 in Highbridge, they would be stuck with the Bx13 (which is a longer ride to the (4)).

For the bx30, I only sent it to 231st St to not be redundant to the Bx26 or Bx28. That routing is the current path that the Bx1 takes to get to 231st from Sedgwick Avenue. It serves IS 143, which many Bedford Park students (from the other side of the reservoir) are zoned to.

I think the Bailey reroute would save about 3-5 minutes, since Broadway is backed up in each direction (northbound by 231st St and southbound by 225th).

My Bx37 is my spin on the Q94. I cut the Q44 from the Bronx in order to rid the big route from delays caused by Whitestone Bridge and Cross Bronx Expwy traffic. Plus, Bronx residents would have a reliable route traveling between Flushing and Fordham. The Bx37 would run every 6-7 mins during the rush, 10-12 mins off-peak, and about 40-60 mins late nights.

I understand that there are too many buses at Dyre Av (the Bx16/14, Q50, W52/55/60/61/62). So I'm gonna send the Bx14 to Ropes Avenue to alleviate that situation. Only the Q50 and W60/61/62 would actually terminate there. I would probably have the W55 extended to either Bay Plaza (via Sec 3-4) or the Boston/Secor Houses.

For the Bx13 to The Hub, I like it since it serves two big shopping areas, the Gateway Center and the Hub. I've heard about a few customers going to Gateway park near The Hub (specifically along Brook Avenue and 152nd St where no meters exist), then take the 149th St Bus to the Gateway Mall.

Edited by cotb16

- I wouldn't mess around with the Washington Hts routes due to heavy congestion in that area.

- B/O's might have trouble turning artics around. Plus, it makes no sense to go to Pelham Bay, loop around Einstein Loop, return to Pelham Bay, and then go to City Island.

- The MTA should eliminate the Bx20, create the Bx7A via Henry Hudson for rush hours only, and call it a day.

Bx10:Some Sevice originates at 207 street in Manhattan (2AM and 2PM Trips to 207 street). Limited stop service all day weekdays from 6 Am-10 PM Not a good idea, since the Bx10's destination is Norwood. Add extra Bx7 service if the Bx20 gets the axe one day.

- The MTA might as well restore the original Bx14, but that won't happen since Parkchester residents like the Bx4A as it is. Plus, artics are needed as it has high ridership during the weekday rush.

1) Further proof that he doesn't know how the routes perform up there...

2) It's still not smart either way, but he's saying that buses should serve PBP.... then to section 5... then to city island.....

Pelham Bay Park (6) makes a hell of a lot more sense as a mid-point of the Bx29 (b/w Bay plz. & City Island), than it is to extend the Bx5 & have Co-op section 5 be a middle point between (Pelham Bay Park (6) & City Island)

3) I would have buses serve it off-peak as well.... but in general, that's what I say.....

4) He wants to use the 10 as a short-turn b/w 207th (A) & Riverdale.... Which makes no sense, given that the Bx7 already passes by there & the 10 running nowhere near there (as you alluded to)......

5)...and I don't blame them one bit.... Why should Parkchester riders (the community that actually use the buses) suffer w/ piss-poor headways b/c another group of riders (Country Club) hardly use them.... I always felt that way about the old 14.....

Edited by B35 via Church

The reason why I don't have the Bx11 run via Macombs and W Tremont is because it gets high usage on 168th St in High Bridge. Without the Bx11 in Highbridge, they would be stuck with the Bx13 (which is a longer ride to the (4)).

Well if that's the case, you may as well leave the 11 & the 18 as is.... No point in having 11's duplicate the 35 like that, for it to then run up to Morris Hgts the way you have it doing......

For the bx30, I only sent it to 231st St to not be redundant to the Bx26 or Bx28. That routing is the current path that the Bx1 takes to get to 231st from Sedgwick Avenue. It serves IS 143, which many Bedford Park students (from the other side of the reservoir) are zoned to.

I was specific with what I underlined earlier.... Your 30 is taking on the 28 routing b/w (WPR/Gun Hill) & (Sedgwick/Mosholu), then it takes on the 1 routing from (Sedgwick/Mosholu) to the terminal over on 231st/riverdale av.... Your 30 would be one very very slow route...... It's way too indirect on both halves/portions of the route.....

I think the Bailey reroute would save about 3-5 minutes, since Broadway is backed up in each direction (northbound by 231st St and southbound by 225th).

....and how long would riders spend walking back from Bailey to Broadway?

My Bx37 is my spin on the Q94. I cut the Q44 from the Bronx in order to rid the big route from delays caused by Whitestone Bridge and Cross Bronx Expwy traffic. Plus, Bronx residents would have a reliable route traveling between Flushing and Fordham. The Bx37 would run every 6-7 mins during the rush, 10-12 mins off-peak, and about 40-60 mins late nights.

I get why you want to cut the 44 back.... Thing is though, the Q44 gets its collective amt. of riders that it does because it goes to the Bronx.... Meaning it benefits Queens residents seeking service to the Bronx, just as much as it does for Bronx residents trying to get to neighborhoods along the (7) via the (7) & what not...... You are only looking at things from one vantage point.... Can't do that when you're dealing with an interborough route.....

I understand that there are too many buses at Dyre Av (the Bx16/14, Q50, W52/55/60/61/62). So I'm gonna send the Bx14 to Ropes Avenue to alleviate that situation. Only the Q50 and W60/61/62 would actually terminate there. I would probably have the W55 extended to either Bay Plaza (via Sec 3-4) or the Boston/Secor Houses.

I would leave the 55 ending @ Dyre subway... You can still have your Bx14 end at Dyre subway... I would send the 52 into co-op (probably just to dreiser only, instead of out to bay plaza) over any other bee line route; there's their one seat ride to dyre subway & a more direct ride to Mt. Vernon right there.... I would leave the Q50 & the BL-60/61/62 to end at their current respective terminals....

For the Bx13 to The Hub, I like it since it serves two big shopping areas, the Gateway Center and the Hub. I've heard about a few customers going to Gateway park near The Hub (specifically along Brook Avenue and 152nd St where no meters exist), then take the 149th St Bus to the Gateway Mall.

Well there you go.... All of what you just said, plus I like the idea of a solid Washington Hgts. - The Hub route via Gateway.....

forgot to add this.... you should know the drill by now...

reply in red

Edited by B35 via Church

My replies in Dark Red.

I propose

Bx1: Extend via Riverdale Ave to 246 street - No need. You got the Bx7 / Bx10 / Bx20 for that

Bx2: Retain

Bx3: Rerouted via Macombs Road,then in Bx11 route to GWB weekdays Its perfect how it is. Bx3 / Bx11 has pretty high ridership.

Bx4: Extended to Pelham Bay Park and Co-Op City via Bx23 routing Pelham Bay thats fine. But that dupts the IRT and Bx24

Bx4A: See Bx24

Bx5: Extended via Einstein Loop to City Island Thats good, it can give riders of City Island a faster way to Co-op, but MAY compete with the Bx29.

Bx6; Retain

Bx7: Rerouted via H H P Nah its good the way it is.

Bx8: Retain

Bx9: Extra Rush and Saturday Service Service is good enough. Service will still get tied up due to traffic on US Route 1.

Bx10:Some Sevice originates at 207 street in Manhattan (2AM and 2PM Trips to 207 street). Limited stop service all day weekdays from 6 Am-10 PM You got the Bx7 & Bx20.

Bx11: Rerouted via Macombs Road and Unversity Avenue to Replace Bx18 and Allieviate Bx3/Bx36 No need.

Bx12: Retain

Bx13: Some service extended to Hunts Point No need. Bx6 is doing it. But maybe to Barretto Park and then to the NYPD Corrections terminal (of where the Bx6 ends near) would do.

Bx15: Retain

Bx16: Service extended to Fordham via bx34 route weekdays and Saturdays I would eliminate the Bx34 instead.

Bx17: Retain

Bx18:Eliminated, see Bx11/Bx40/42 Bx40/Bx42 is long enough, UNLESS a limited Service is added, then it would be fine. But the Bx18 is ok. I'd extend it to Yankees instead via River.

Bx19: Retain

Bx20: Eliminated, see Bx7/Bx10

Bx21: Retain

Bx22: Retain

Bx23: Eliminated, see Bx4

Bx24: Extended along Weatchester Avenue and Metropolitan Avenue to the Hub using Hybrids Then your bringing back the old Bx14 route.

Bx24: Short-turns Aling Westchester Avenue and Metropolitan from WF using CNG Buses

Bx26: Retain

Bx27: Retain

Bx28: Retain and revert to 6/2010 routings Nah its good how it is, same for the Bx38. Make the Bx28 instead limited. Bx28 is a bit longer.

Bx29: See Bx5

Bx30: Retain

Bx31: Retain

Bx32:Retain

Bx33: Extend to St Nicholas Avenue or To Broadway It already goes to St. Nicholas. But Broadway via 141st Street and Amsterdam, Yes.

Bx34: See Bx16

Bx35: Rerouted along Bx11 Route until they intersect again from the GWB in the Bronx in Unversity Heights

Bx36; Limiteds take Castle Hill and Cross Bronx Expressway. Just Kidding, Retain ALL Service

Bx38: Make it the limited stop version of the Bx28 skipping Northern Co-Op city 7 days a week while some are local short-turns only to 205 street See my Bx28 comment

Bx39: Retain

Bx41: Retain

Bx40: Limited making stops at major intersections during the day, local past 10 PM, and extended to Current Bx18 terminal via Segdwick/Undercliff Avenue to below the GWB

Bx42: Extended via Segdwick/Undercliff to current Bx18 terminal Bx40 LTD would be GOLD. As for Bx18 replacement, read the Bx18 comment.

Q44: Retain

Q50: Retain

Bee-Line does not need major changes. Many of these routes do not do pickup/drop offs at the same time, except the W45 in Pelham Bay and the W60/W61/W62X along US Route 1 (Boston Rd). W1 + Branch/2/3/4/20/21LTD/40/41LTD/43X/52/55/53 all do drops offs going Down and Pick ups going North.

60: Retain

61: Retain

62: Limited Stop in the Bronx Not just the Bronx, but entirely on US Route 1 to New Rochelle. But this is all about Bee-Line, not MaBSTOA.

40/41: Retain

43: Limited stop in the Bronx I hope you do know that this route only does 2-3 stops in the Bronx.. So No.

45: Retain

1: Retain

1T: Proposed to Be combined with the 1 T = Tarrytown, this bus ends in Tarrytown. So No.

1C: Renamed 111 / 1W: Renamed 101 It is a BIT confusing for city folks on all the W1s branches, but not as much for those in Westchester. Since all routes of the 1/2 is PRETTY high in ridership in Yonkers, I wouldn't mess with it. MAYBE the W2 to replace 1T to Tarrytown would be nice. But that bus is pretty packed in Yonkers/Bronx, so don't know about combining. Your missing the 1W which is for White Plains as well.

1X: Eliminated, use 3 Gotta learn more about Bee-Line bro. The 1X is an EXPRESS to/from Westchester Medical Center to the Bronx via SBP and US Route 9. The 3 has nothing to do with this route. 3 is Express between White Plains and Bronx via Yonkers.

3: Limited Stop in the Bronx - No. The W3 does not need to make LTD stops. You got the Bx9. The W1/2/3 all makes PICK UP only North to Yonkers border (followed by drop offs/picks ups), and Drop off only South of Bronx/Yonkers Border.

2: Retain

8: Retain

Edited by mark1447

forgot to add this.... you should know the drill by now...

reply in red

With the Bx11, I wanted to kill two birds with one stone. While it goes to Morris Heights to retain their access to 170th Street, it would retain service in underserved Highbridge. Macombs Road doesn't have many generators for ridership (save for the middle school on 176th St, where the Bx3/36 are nearby).

For the Broadway to Bailey situation, it depends on where riders originate. If they're at the Marble Hill Houses, they would walk south to 225th St. If coming from 230th, they would walk up to 231st. With this plan, those coming from Riverdale won't have to get off at Corlear/Kingsbridge Avs to walk two blocks to the downtown (1) since the Bx7 would stop in front of the station in both directions.

For the Bx13 to The Hub & Gateway, the only downside is that it would miss the courts and social services by Concourse Plaza. There will be a good number of riders transferring from the Bx13 to the Bx6, just to travel 1-2 stops to the courts (to avoid walking the underpass or crossing the dangerous Grand Concourse).

As for the Bx30, I'm thinking of going back to the original idea of sending it to VA Hospital. It would serve the educational mile along with the Bx28, and provide those in the Northeast Bronx access to that hospital, and to Bronx Community College (by way of the Bx3 transfer at University Av).

Edited by cotb16

Actually I agree about the Bx1... I'm on Riverdale Avenue a lot and the Bx7 is often overcrowded. Since the Bx1 has artics it would help out the Bx7... Either extend the Bx1 or put artics on the Bx7...

Artics would be ok for the Bx7. But depends, since I'm not sure if turning to 231st after Broadway is ok or not. For the Bx1 its already long enough. If Jerome Reservoir did not exist or would able to cut thru it, then maybe or if the Limited continues to 256thl.

MAYBE the Bx3 I'd use and reroute it via Broadway to 242nd Street followed by Manhattan College Parkway, to serve those who also need college access. But thats about it.

Other alternative, use the M100, make it an LTD along the Bx7 portion and end it at 256th Street. But that might be long as well.

With the Bx11, I wanted to kill two birds with one stone. While it goes to Morris Heights to retain their access to 170th Street, it would retain service in underserved Highbridge. Macombs Road doesn't have many generators for ridership (save for the middle school on 176th St, where the Bx3/36 are nearby).

For the Broadway to Bailey situation, it depends on where riders originate. If they're at the Marble Hill Houses, they would walk south to 225th St. If coming from 230th, they would walk up to 231st. With this plan, those coming from Riverdale won't have to get off at Corlear/Kingsbridge Avs to walk two blocks to the downtown (1) since the Bx7 would stop in front of the station in both directions.

For the Bx13 to The Hub & Gateway, the only downside is that it would miss the courts and social services by Concourse Plaza. There will be a good number of riders transferring from the Bx13 to the Bx6, just to travel 1-2 stops to the courts (to avoid walking the underpass or crossing the dangerous Grand Concourse).

As for the Bx30, I'm thinking of going back to the original idea of sending it to VA Hospital. It would serve the educational mile along with the Bx28, and provide those in the Northeast Bronx access to that hospital, and to Bronx Community College (by way of the Bx3 transfer at University Av).

For the Bx13, I don't see a problem sending it to the Gateway. Besides the current Bx13 doesn't even go at all times passed Gerard Avenue, except AM. People can walk if they have to, to get to these place. Even use the Bx6. Now if the Bx13 were to be used to head to Barretto Park via the Bx6 route, then I'd allow the Bx13 to run down River Avenue, stop at the Mall and then via 156th Street to the Concourse and back via the Bx6. Some Bx13s may cut this.

Actually I agree about the Bx1... I'm on Riverdale Avenue a lot and the Bx7 is often overcrowded. Since the Bx1 has artics it would help out the Bx7... Either extend the Bx1 or put artics on the Bx7...

Forget about extending Bx1's to Riverdale....

As for artics on the Bx7, that might not be a bad idea - except, good luck with u-turning them over there by Mt. St. Vincent..... the 40 footers gotta run up the sidewalk to complete the u-turn (same deal w/ the BL-8).... You see the niche they had to carve out up on Broadway & 262nd so that Bx9's (which of course, is an artic route) can successfully u-turn......

- Rerouting Bx7's & 20's on Bailey I still say is a stalemate - For the amt. of time it would save bypassing traffic on B'way, that same amt. of time riders would end up taking to get to the bus from B'way..... especially if you're over there by B'way/230th (which is a stop that tends to get quite a bit of riders)....

- I still think your Bx30 is too indirect, but despite that.....

If you want to send the Bx30 to VA Hospital, then you'd probably have to send the 32 somewhere's else.... for some reason, I think that hosp. would object to two bus routes ending inside hospital property.....

- Riders xfer between the Bx6 & Bx13 as much as they currently do anyway.... I wouldn't worry about the downside you bring up - it would only increase usage within/between these two routes.....

I propose

Bx3: Rerouted via Macombs Road,then in Bx11 route to GWB weekdays

Bx11: Rerouted via Macombs Road and UnIversity Avenue to Replace Bx18 and Allieviate Bx3/Bx36

1) Sooo...

Are you proposing two routes to run via Macombs Road? The stops on Macombs Road are lightly used by current Bx18 passengers.

2) Bx11 service is heavily used along Highbridge and Washington Heights. If this service is unavalable, most people will go to the Bx35 which is bad enough during the weekdays, The Bx35 currently has to skip both 169st and Jerome Ave at times due to overcrowding during the morning rush.

3) The Bx3 is definetly needed along the portion of University Ave between Grant-174 and Tremont Ave

Bx7

Problem/Brief:

Problematic bunching especially during rush-hour thus resulting in mob like crowds waiting for the bus at W231st and Broadway this is due to the traffic conditions along Broadway in Manhattan and under the el in The Bronx resulting in "bad" service.

Proposal:

Introduce deadhead shuttle service (during rush-hour only) similar to the Bx13 (Yankee Stadium - Grant Hwy then deadhead back to Yankee Stadium)

Route Description:

Broadway - W231st Street (stand)

straight on W231st

right on Riverdale Avenue

Merge to Henry Hudson Pkwy Service Road at W239 Street

Slight left on W253 Street to merge onto Riverdale Avenue to stand at W263rd Street

Deadhead route:

After U-Turn on Ellsworth Avenue

straight on Riverdale Avenue/Henry Hudson Pkwy Service Road

left on W239 Street

Merge to Riverdale Avenue

left on W230th Street

left on Broadway

right on W230th Street

left on Bailey Avenue

left on W231st Street to stand

The reason for the Bailey Avenue routing is to avoid the traffic under the el which ironically begins right on W230th Street

Bx7

Problem/Brief:

Problematic bunching especially during rush-hour thus resulting in mob like crowds waiting for the bus at W231st and Broadway this is due to the traffic conditions along Broadway in Manhattan and under the el in The Bronx resulting in "bad" service.

Proposal:

Introduce deadhead shuttle service (during rush-hour only) similar to the Bx13 (Yankee Stadium - Grant Hwy then deadhead back to Yankee Stadium)

Route Description:

Broadway - W231st Street (stand)

straight on W231st

right on Riverdale Avenue

Merge to Henry Hudson Pkwy Service Road at W239 Street

Slight left on W253 Street to merge onto Riverdale Avenue to stand at W263rd Street

Deadhead route:

After U-Turn on Ellsworth Avenue

straight on Riverdale Avenue/Henry Hudson Pkwy Service Road

left on W239 Street

Merge to Riverdale Avenue

left on W230th Street

left on Broadway

right on W230th Street

left on Bailey Avenue

left on W231st Street to stand

The reason for the Bailey Avenue routing is to avoid the traffic under the el which ironically begins right on W230th Street

I can agree about the traffic in that area... Sometimes I just avoid using the BxM1 on the weekends for that very reason and take the BxM2... You can get stuck there for 15-20 minutes... That's the one thing that sucks about certain parts of Manhattan/Bronx... There are only a few ways you can go, but the traffic is usually terrible during (1) train shuttling.

• 3 weeks later...

A proposal hasn't been made in weeks, so I decided to put in my two cents.

Bx18:

Norwood, 205th Street Station

Westchester Square

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213458373195564989412.0004c0e59b33968962771&msa=0&ll=40.880846,-73.8834&spn=0.009393,0.019226

Yes, I am fully aware of the traffic that the route will run into on Fordham and Tremont, there is ample time to make up delays.

A proposal hasn't been made in weeks, so I decided to put in my two cents.

Bx18:

Norwood, 205th Street Station

Westchester Square

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213458373195564989412.0004c0e59b33968962771&msa=0&ll=40.880846,-73.8834&spn=0.009393,0.019226

Yes, I am fully aware of the traffic that the route will run into on Fordham and Tremont, there is ample time to make up delays.

And... whats going to replace the Bx18 thats running now? Not the Bx40/42 as the line is long enough.

And... whats going to replace the Bx18 thats running now? Not the Bx40/42 as the line is long enough.

I was going to renumber the (current) Bx18 the Bx43. I already have the animated sign... ;)

Any comments directly on the route?

Edited by ThrexxBus

I was going to renumber the (current) Bx18 the Bx43. I already have the animated sign... ;)

Any comments directly on the route?

It's going to have a hard time turning from Fordham to Jerome. Why not use Kingsbridge Rd instead?

It's going to have a hard time turning from Fordham to Jerome. Why not use Kingsbridge Rd instead?

Partially because the Bx28 covers that route pretty well, so I didn't want overkill.

Since you live in the Bronx, I'll take your word for it, and I moved it to Kingsbridge Road.

Edited by ThrexxBus

My problem with this Bx18 is that all of the "major" areas it serves already has plenty of bus service. Norwood 205 St already has the Bx10,16,28,30.34 and 38, Fordham Plaza has the Bx 9,12,15,17,22, 41 and 55 and Westchester Sq has the Bx4,4a,8,21,24,31,40 and 42. This is nothing more than a connect the dots route and to be honest these dots should not be connected. People in the Norwood area are not seeking bus service to Westchester Square and vice versa.

My problem with this Bx18 is that all of the "major" areas it serves already has plenty of bus service. Norwood 205 St already has the Bx10,16,28,30.34 and 38, Fordham Plaza has the Bx 9,12,15,17,22, 41 and 55 and Westchester Sq has the Bx4,4a,8,21,24,31,40 and 42. This is nothing more than a connect the dots route and to be honest these dots should not be connected. People in the Norwood area are not seeking bus service to Westchester Square and vice versa.

People in the Norwood area are seeking travel to Fordham, though. Fordham residents are going to the Parkchester area. Bronxdale Avenue kinda needs a route. This bus may be a connect-the-dots route, but it is one such route that will be succesful.

Bulls-eye.

It's not justified to create a heavily redundant route like that just to fill a gap....

They didn't fork out all that money for SBS on the 12 for no reason....

People in the Norwood area are seeking travel to Fordham, though....

....Bronxdale Avenue kinda needs a route. This bus may be a connect-the-dots route, but it is one such route that will be successful.

That's a bit of a stretch.... Successful....

Best case scenario, this route would get formidable usage b/w the Fordham plz. area & Norwood...

The MTA would be better off diverting the 34 onto mosholu & jerome from 205th (D) for that purpose, over creating a new route that's redundant to a slew of routes along its course & would have questionable usage b/w westchester sq. & southern blvd.....

Seriously, how much ridership you think would emerge from the eastern portion of this "bx18".....

Fordham residents are going to the Parkchester area.

Your route AVOIDS Parkchester !

You got another thing coming if you think any significant amount of ppl. from Fordham will take your "Bx18" & walk to parkchester from castle hill/e tremont, over taking the Bx22........

Edited by B35 via Church