Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

New Route add: Bx59 from Woodlawn Webster-McLean Ave to Inwood Broadway-Dyckman St.

Inwood bound

Start at Webster Ave/McLean Ave. right on Nereid Ave, right on Bronx Ave, right on 233rd St, right onto Deegan south, use Exit 11-Van Cortlandt Park South. Left onto Van Cortlandt Park South, right onto Bailey Ave, merge onto Sedgwick Ave, right onto Fordham Rd, cross the University Heights Bridge, Left onto 10th Ave, right onto Nagle Ave, right onto Dyckman St, terminate at Dyckman St A Train Station.

Woodlawn bound

Start at Dyckman St/Broadway, east on Dyckman St, left onto Nagle Ave, merge onto 10th Ave, right onto 207th St, cross University heights bridge onto Fordham Rd, left onto Sedgwick Ave, stay left onto Bailey Ave, merge onto Deegan north, use Exit 13-233rd St, stay straight onto 233rd St, left onto Webster Ave, terminate at Webster Ave/McLean Ave

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New Route add: Bx59 from Woodlawn Webster-McLean Ave to Inwood Broadway-Dyckman St.

Inwood bound

Start at Webster Ave/McLean Ave. right on Nereid Ave, right on Bronx Ave, right on 233rd St, right onto Deegan south, use Exit 11-Van Cortlandt Park South. Left onto Van Cortlandt Park South, right onto Bailey Ave, merge onto Sedgwick Ave, right onto Fordham Rd, cross the University Heights Bridge, Left onto 10th Ave, right onto Nagle Ave, right onto Dyckman St, terminate at Dyckman St A Train Station.

Woodlawn bound

Start at Dyckman St/Broadway, east on Dyckman St, left onto Nagle Ave, merge onto 10th Ave, right onto 207th St, cross University heights bridge onto Fordham Rd, left onto Sedgwick Ave, stay left onto Bailey Ave, merge onto Deegan north, use Exit 13-233rd St, stay straight onto 233rd St, left onto Webster Ave, terminate at Webster Ave/McLean Ave

You need to get to the (A) train from Woodlawn, don't you.....

Is there a demand for such a route like that?

Of course not....

As somebody else asked about another proposal, "Is there a demand for such a route like that?"

Actually, another Bronx resident suggested this as the Bx9 is the only option between Fordham and Riverdale...don't know what it would do now though.

the bx24 would definitely get a good crowd of people using it to Fieldston Rd and Riverdale Ave

You do realize that most of the streets in Fieldston are privately-owned and maintained, right? For the same reason, the Q23 in Queens does not run straight down 71 Avenue through Forest Hills Gardens.

You do realize that most of the streets in Fieldston are privately-owned and maintained, right? For the same reason, the Q23 in Queens does not run straight down 71 Avenue through Forest Hills Gardens.

The Q23 not running straight down 71st Avenue is because of a completely different reason.

You do realize that most of the streets in Fieldston are privately-owned and maintained, right?

For the same reason, the Q23 in Queens does not run straight down 71 Avenue through Forest Hills Gardens.

- He said Fieldston road & Riverdale av; which is basically the West 236th st/riverdale av stop....

- Your example here is a poor one {as Q23 (the member) alluded to}, which I'm gonna further explain as to why, here:

The Q23 diverts from running along 71st due to coverage - Coverage, apparently the patrons of that neighborhood wanted (I'd go as far as to say needed)..... The same reason the route doesn't utilize Yellowstone b/w woodhaven & burns.... 69th is equidistant to yellowstone & 71st..... Then you got the commercial area on austin, and that's all she wrote.....

You can't (logically) compare a neighborhood of which whose patrons wants/welcomes buses running in their neighborhood, to one that does not - just because they both have the common denominator of privately owned streets within them.... You're basically saying that Forest Hills Gardens patrons view public transportation the same way Fieldston patrons view public transportation (and really, the concept of "outsiders").... Be careful.

The Q23 not running straight down 71st Avenue is because of a completely different reason.

Hell, he was off on both counts in that reply......

Edited by B35 via Church

LOL.... Not all of Fieldston Rd is private... As B35 via Church, that would basically be the West 236th street & Riverdale Av stop, which is a big stop for both express buses, local buses and the Hudson Rail link bus.  I don't know if I agree with anything else about that proposal though... I think in this area, we Riverdalians tend to use the express bus and Metro-North the most, then the local bus just because there are a large amount of middle aged and young working professionals, as well as Columbia Univerity students that generally use the express buses and Metro-North since we can afford it. The local bus tends to be moreso for those coming to Riverdale as opposed to the residents. For the record, Riverdale's boundaries are quite blurry, partially due to a lack of a street grid up here, but also partially due to status.  With Fieldston being the richest part of Riverdale ($186,000 in the wealthiest tracts) save Central Riverdale "Downtown" Riverdale ($120,000+ in the wealthiest tracts), and Riverdale west of the Parkway ($114k in the wealthiest tracts), some will claim to live in Fieldston but they really live in Riverdale.  Fieldston Rd, at least part of it could be considered Central Riverdale or Fieldston for those who don't think of Fieldston as only including the private estate area.  As someone who lives in Central Riverdale, I consider that part to be part of my neighborhood, since all of the banks and shops are right there and offer luxury condo and/or co-op apartment living which is common in this area.

- He said Fieldston road & Riverdale av; which is basically the West 236th st/riverdale av stop....

Exactly... I don't think another local bus is needed to serve this area.  This is really express bus territory.  232nd, 236th and 239th Henry Hudson Parkway are all huge express bus stops, as is Riverdale Avenue and West 236th street.  In fact if there aren't many folks getting off in North Riverdale, I sometimes am the last one off of the bus by 239th or 235th, depending on which stop I get off at.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

As somebody else asked about another proposal, "Is there a demand for such a route like that?"

You can tell by his name alone. Which is a certain lightly used express bus do you really think someone who has bxm4 or say QM18 or N80 in their name would come up with bus routes people would use? All the routes I mentioned carry almost air most of the time.

LOL.... Not all of Fieldston Rd is private... As B35 via Church, that would basically be the West 236th street & Riverdale Av stop, which is a big stop for both express buses, local buses and the Hudson Rail link bus.  I don't know if I agree with anything else about that proposal though... I think in this area, we Riverdalians tend to use the express bus and Metro-North the most, then the local bus just because there are a large amount of middle aged and young working professionals, as well as Columbia Univerity students that generally use the express buses and Metro-North since we can afford it. The local bus tends to be moreso for those coming to Riverdale as opposed to the residents. For the record, Riverdale's boundaries are quite blurry, partially due to a lack of a street grid up here, but also partially due to status.  With Fieldston being the richest part of Riverdale ($186,000 in the wealthiest tracts) save Central Riverdale "Downtown" Riverdale ($120,000+ in the wealthiest tracts), and Riverdale west of the Parkway ($114k in the wealthiest tracts), some will claim to live in Fieldston but they really live in Riverdale.  Fieldston Rd, at least part of it could be considered Central Riverdale or Fieldston for those who don't think of Fieldston as only including the private estate area.  As someone who lives in Central Riverdale, I consider that part to be part of my neighborhood, since all of the banks and shops are right there and offer luxury condo and/or co-op apartment living which is common in this area.

Exactly... I don't think another local bus is needed to serve this area.  This is really express bus territory.  232nd, 236th and 239th Henry Hudson Parkway are all huge express bus stops, as is Riverdale Avenue and West 236th street.  In fact if there aren't many folks getting off in North Riverdale, I sometimes am the last one off of the bus by 239th or 235th, depending on which stop I get off at.

He (AE Moreira) saw the "Fieldston" in Fieldston road & automatically assumed the guy (BxM4 Woodlawn) supported running buses in Fieldston.... Hasty Generalization....

As far as local bus ridership being weak (especially outside of those xferring from off bee-line buses) in North Riverdale, yeah, that much was true before you moved out there, and as you see/know, it's still the case.... I've rode more than my fair share of the Riverdale expresses (any of the 3, doesn't matter) & have been the last soldier on the bus by time it hits that part of the neighborhood.....

You can tell by his name alone. Which is a certain lightly used express bus do you really think someone who has bxm4 or say QM18 or N80 in their name would come up with bus routes people would use? All the routes I mentioned carry almost air most of the time.

Come on now, you say this like there were no flaws in any of your ideas whatsoever.....

Kettle, meet pot.

He (AE Moreira) saw the "Fieldston" in Fieldston road & automatically assumed the guy (BxM4 Woodlawn) supported running buses in Fieldston.... Hasty Generalization....

As far as local bus ridership being weak (especially outside of those xferring from off bee-line buses) in North Riverdale, yeah, that much was true before you moved out there, and as you see/know, it's still the case.... I've rode more than my fair share of the Riverdale expresses (any of the 3, doesn't matter) & have been the last soldier on the bus by time it hits that part of the neighborhood.....

Come on now, you say this like there were no flaws in any of your ideas whatsoever.....

Kettle, meet pot.

There's a few things with North Riverdale above Broadway... Not as dense as other parts of Riverdale and far more suburban in terms of amenities and walkability... A lot more people drive there and it's generally an older crowd.  Central Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil has a mix of middle aged and old ex-Manhattanities, but also young professionals and young families that will just use the express bus.  I can't tell you how many couples and families get on the express bus at my stops with strollers and such.  Happened yesterday morning... Two young families got on the BxM2 with strollers.  Looked like ex-Manhattanite types.  

Kettle, meet pot.

His name is a dead giveaway.

There's a few things with North Riverdale above Broadway... Not as dense as other parts of Riverdale and far more suburban in terms of amenities and walkability... A lot more people drive there and it's generally an older crowd.  Central Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil has a mix of middle aged and old ex-Manhattanities, but also young professionals and young families that will just use the express bus.  I can't tell you how many couples and families get on the express bus at my stops with strollers and such.  Happened yesterday morning... Two young families got on the BxM2 with strollers.  Looked like ex-Manhattanite types.  

I simply don't know what an ex-manhattanite entails (like what mannerisms they have or w/e, because I don't put too much thought into ex-manhattanites TBH), but aside from that, I concur with everything you say here.... Especially the more south you go from the county line, the more younger families you'll see out & about.... Saying it another way, there is a lot of old money in north riverdale....

His name is a dead giveaway.

You keep repeating this, but your explanation in makes no sense.... It's like saying if someone had "B46" or "M15" in their forum name, that somehow means they have the best ideas - because those are the two highest used bus routes....

People tend to choose whatever bus route for their forum name because it's their "home" route, or it's route they like to ride or whatever.......

Edited by B35 via Church

I simply don't know what an ex-manhattanite entails (like what mannerisms they have or w/e, because I don't put too much thought into ex-manhattanites TBH), but aside from that, I concur with everything you say here.... Especially the more south you go from the county line, the more younger families you'll see out & about.... Saying it another way, there is a lot of old money in north riverdale....

LOL... It's one of those things that you pick up on living in Riverdale... I had one guy at my college reunion that was an ex-Manhattanite who moved to Riverdale (Spuyten Duyvil) to be exact. They're the types that decide that life in Manhattan stinks and want to start a family and want less noise and filth and more parks, etc, so they move to Riverdale.  

LOL... It's one of those things that you pick up on living in Riverdale... I had one guy at my college reunion that was an ex-Manhattanite who moved to Riverdale (Spuyten Duyvil) to be exact. They're the types that decide that life in Manhattan stinks and want to start a family and want less noise and filth and more parks, etc, so they move to Riverdale.

Hell, I picked up on that (older ppl. living in central riverdale, and points north up to city line) after a few couple fantrips up there years ago.... So to live up there, it's only going to be more apparent to what an outsider can easily pick up on if he/she's keen enough.... Also the fact that there is a huge discrepancy of younger riders (especially coming off that (1) @ 231st) to older riders in the southern portion of the neighborhood.....

To the other point.... The one thing you seldom hear about on any medium (television, internet articles. radio, etc) are manhattanites in-particular fleeing to other areas... There was a story put out there that Brooklynites (namely Park slopers & Fort Greene patrons, IINM) were fleeing brooklyn to go live in manhattan - because certain parts of manhattan are cheaper than being in those parts of brooklyn..... But where is the story of manhattanites going running off somewhere? Have media tell it, everyone that's ever lived in manhattan, is happy to had have to/still live in manhattan because manhattan is where is at.... Quick to point out where everyone else in the outerboroughs (+ nassau & suffolk) are running off to though.....

Hell, I picked up on that (older ppl. living in central riverdale, and points north up to city line) after a few couple fantrips up there years ago.... So to live up there, it's only going to be more apparent to what an outsider can easily pick up on if he/she's keen enough.... Also the fact that there is a huge discrepancy of younger riders (especially coming off that (1) @ 231st) to older riders in the southern portion of the neighborhood.....

To the other point.... The one thing you seldom hear about on any medium (television, internet articles. radio, etc) are manhattanites in-particular fleeing to other areas... There was a story put out there that Brooklynites (namely Park slopers & Fort Greene patrons, IINM) were fleeing brooklyn to go live in manhattan - because certain parts of manhattan are cheaper than being in those parts of brooklyn..... But where is the story of manhattanites going running off somewhere? Have media tell it, everyone that's ever lived in manhattan, is happy to had have to/still live in manhattan because manhattan is where is at.... Quick to point out where everyone else in the outerboroughs (+ nassau & suffolk) are running off to though.....

There's a fair amount of fluff pieces that come up from time to time about how the "middle class" can't afford Manhattan prices anymore, but in the end the pieces usually end up moving to the burbs or sucking it up and barely scraping by. It's just less talked about because it's less controversial (and generally, the people involved are not perceived to be "as disadvantaged".

There's a fair amount of fluff pieces that come up from time to time about how the "middle class" can't afford Manhattan prices anymore, but in the end the pieces usually end up moving to the burbs or sucking it up and barely scraping by. It's just less talked about because it's less controversial (and generally, the people involved are not perceived to be "as disadvantaged".

From some of the people that I talk to on the Riverdale buses it's more about them being sick of the city and wanting to live somewhere quieter, not really a cost issue, especially with the middle aged older types that move from Manhattan to Riverdale.  One lady used to live on Upper West Side and she just commented how she just couldn't deal with the city anymore... All of the noise, congestion, etc.  I've stayed at some friend's house who live in the city and I honestly don't know how they do it.  I mean hanging out in the city is one thing but living there is a whole different story and I need a retreat from that after a while.  Now the younger families moving to Riverdale are mainly moving because they want more space and don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it, so you have two types of people leaving Manhattan.  Riverdale is generally the easy option because it's close to Manhattan yet offers an escape from it.

For one I said they would use the Bx24 to get to both Fieldston Road, and Riverdale Avenue, both in North Riverdale. The Original Bx24 route traveled up HH Pkwy, then right onto 253rd St, left onto Fieldston Road, and terminated at Fieldston Rd & Mosholu Ave. I think a lot of people would use it who don't want to walk down to Broadway just to get the Bx9 or take a Bx7 or 10 to 231st St & Broadway

For one I said they would use the Bx24 to get to both Fieldston Road, and Riverdale Avenue, both in North Riverdale. The Original Bx24 route traveled up HH Pkwy, then right onto 253rd St, left onto Fieldston Road, and terminated at Fieldston Rd & Mosholu Ave. I think a lot of people would use it who don't want to walk down to Broadway just to get the Bx9 or take a Bx7 or 10 to 231st St & Broadway

Oh please.  Right into 253rd street... That's Fieldston proper, the private estate area.  There's a reason that no buses run through there.  They throw a hissy fit when school buses try to run through there and immediately have their private security patrol block all entrances so that only residents and their guests can enter and exit the area.  Aside from that, the streets are designed on purpose to not be smooth so that cars can't go flying through the area.  No one who has a multi-million dollar home wants buses and noise in their neighborhood.  That's the whole point of living in a private community. Hell I live 10 minutes walking from there, and I would raise hell if I had buses running through my block.  When I wake up in the morning, I'm greeted to the sound of birds chirping and woodpeckers outside of my balcony, and it's a similar scene in Fieldston.  

http://riverdalepress.com/stories/Fieldston-closes-streets-to-outside-traffic,53538

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/realestate/fieldston-the-bronx-living-in-in-the-city-but-not-of-it.html?_r=0

Oh please. Right into 253rd street... That's Fieldston proper, the private estate area. There's a reason that no buses run through there. They throw a hissy fit when school buses try to run through there and immediately have their private security patrol block all entrances so that only residents and their guests can enter and exit the area. Aside from that, the streets are designed on purpose to not be smooth so that cars can't go flying through the area. No one who has a multi-million dollar home wants buses and noise in their neighborhood. That's the whole point of living in a private community. Hell I live 10 minutes walking from there, and I would raise hell if I had buses running through my block. When I wake up in the morning, I'm greeted to the sound of birds chirping and woodpeckers outside of my balcony, and it's a similar scene in Fieldston.

http://riverdalepress.com/stories/Fieldston-closes-streets-to-outside-traffic,53538

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/realestate/fieldston-the-bronx-living-in-in-the-city-but-not-of-it.html?_r=0

He's just trying to find ways to take pressure of the Bx9...unfortunately this isn't one of them.

He's just trying to find ways to take pressure of the Bx9...unfortunately this isn't one of them.

lol... I don't think the Bx9 is that overcrowded.  Besides, the route he creates doesn't serve Broadway, which is what the Bx9 serves in Riverdale.  I wish people would understand that looking at map does not tell the whole story.  There is no need for another local bus to serve Riverdale Avenue.  The Bx7 is sufficient enough along with the Bx10.  The issue is reliability more than anything.  Throw some artics on the Bx7 and call it a day.