Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

Oh please.  Right into 253rd street... That's Fieldston proper, the private estate area.  There's a reason that no buses run through there.  They throw a hissy fit when school buses try to run through there and immediately have their private security patrol block all entrances so that only residents and their guests can enter and exit the area.  Aside from that, the streets are designed on purpose to not be smooth so that cars can't go flying through the area.  No one who has a multi-million dollar home wants buses and noise in their neighborhood.  That's the whole point of living in a private community. Hell I live 10 minutes walking from there, and I would raise hell if I had buses running through my block.  When I wake up in the morning, I'm greeted to the sound of birds chirping and woodpeckers outside of my balcony, and it's a similar scene in Fieldston.  

http://riverdalepress.com/stories/Fieldston-closes-streets-to-outside-traffic,53538

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/realestate/fieldston-the-bronx-living-in-in-the-city-but-not-of-it.html?_r=0

you do realize that the original Bx24 once traveled that exact route down 253rd St then up Fieldston Road to Mosholu Ave

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was more than 20 years ago, times have changed, and I know for certain that buses would not be allowed by Fieldston in that area.

that is actually not the Fieldston Community, it is on Fieldston Road but north of the Fieldston community. 

you do realize that the original Bx24 once traveled that exact route down 253rd St then up Fieldston Road to Mosholu Ave

that is actually not the Fieldston Community, it is on Fieldston Road but north of the Fieldston community. 

Everything up to and including West 253rd street and Fieldston Road is part of the estate area. 

There is an 11 million dollar mansion that is located right near the area... There is no way they would want a local bus running through Fieldston proper, as that is all private. Fieldston Rd. cuts through the heart of the estate area.  I should know because I go for walks there.

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/real-estate/11m-riverdale-estate-bronx-expensive-house-article-1.1344141

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Everything up to and including West 253rd street and Fieldston Road is part of the estate area. 

There is an 11 million dollar mansion that is located right near the area... There is no way they would want a local bus running through Fieldston proper, as that is all private. Fieldston Rd. cuts through the heart of the estate area.  I should know because I go for walks there.

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/real-estate/11m-riverdale-estate-bronx-expensive-house-article-1.1344141

Just ignore him.

MTA should either add another Bx12 SBS leaving Bay Plaza at 10:12pm, or have an extended local Bx12 start at Bay Plaza at 10:09pm, the 24 minute gap in service between the last SBS and first local on weekdays (at Bay Plaza) is longer than the 15 minute waits that happen later on.

The 10:18pm bus starting at Pelham Bay Park goes to Inwood 207 St, so that bus could start from Bay Plaza to plug the 24 minute gap. Even on Sundays there is a local shortly after the last SBS leaves Bay Plaza.

Edited by GreatOne2k

Bring back the original Bx24 route from Riverdale-Fieldston Rd to Fordham Plaza

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but the MTA just screwed it up originally. From a connectivity stand point it should have granted Riverdale riders the option of a quicker ride to the 4 and D trains at Fordham than the Bx10 to Bedford Park and taken pressure off of the Bx9/10/12 because of the overlapping route. However, it failed on both accounts.  

Unless you lived directly along the route or saw one coming this was the textbook definition of a route no one waited for. I don't have my 1994/5 map in front of me but IIRC the headways ranged from 24-48 mins and the service hours were 9-5 MF, 10-4 Sa. Besides that, HH Pkwy/Johnson Av never needed nor will they ever need 3 local routes.  The only 2 portions it served standalone were the northern part in Fieldston and along Sedgwick/Bailey Avs between 231 and Fordham. On the north end it never stopped in Fieldston on 253 St and had only 1-2 other stops apart from the terminal. On Sedgwick/Bailey it was partial covered by the Bx12 when the UH bridge was out and when/where it wasn't covered there was nothing to attract ridership. 225 Street was just Marble Hill Houses and an abandoned hospital at that time. 

Now there's River Plaza on 225 and 2 shopping centers being built at 230 and 238 Sts, I don't believe the Bx9 will be able to handle that extra traffic alone. You can't add more service N/o 225 because 242 is an ineffective terminal during the day and 262 doesn't need the service, theres no feasible option for LTD service and it bunches horribly. With Bx20 ridership dropping, I would consider re-routing it to the old Bx24 route bet. 231 St and Fordham Plaza. I know someone will complain about the loss of a direct seat from HH Pkwy to the A but Riverdale riders on the Bx9 have to take the 1 to the A. Bailey Av s/o albany cres is isolated from public transportation for the most part. 

As far as Fieldston being against a bus on 253 Street 20 years later be it open or closed door, no one knows the validity of that statement unless they are an active member of the association. Whether or not Fordham Rd needs the coverage is debatable. 

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but the MTA just screwed it up originally. From a connectivity stand point it should have granted Riverdale riders the option of a quicker ride to the 4 and D trains at Fordham than the Bx10 to Bedford Park and taken pressure off of the Bx9/10/12 because of the overlapping route. However, it failed on both accounts.  

Unless you lived directly along the route or saw one coming this was the textbook definition of a route no one waited for. I don't have my 1994/5 map in front of me but IIRC the headways ranged from 24-48 mins and the service hours were 9-5 MF, 10-4 Sa. Besides that, HH Pkwy/Johnson Av never needed nor will they ever need 3 local routes.  The only 2 portions it served standalone were the northern part in Fieldston and along Sedgwick/Bailey Avs between 231 and Fordham. On the north end it never stopped in Fieldston on 253 St and had only 1-2 other stops apart from the terminal. On Sedgwick/Bailey it was partial covered by the Bx12 when the UH bridge was out and when/where it wasn't covered there was nothing to attract ridership. 225 Street was just Marble Hill Houses and an abandoned hospital at that time. 

Now there's River Plaza on 225 and 2 shopping centers being built at 230 and 238 Sts, I don't believe the Bx9 will be able to handle that extra traffic alone. You can't add more service N/o 225 because 242 is an ineffective terminal during the day and 262 doesn't need the service, theres no feasible option for LTD service and it bunches horribly. With Bx20 ridership dropping, I would consider re-routing it to the old Bx24 route bet. 231 St and Fordham Plaza. I know someone will complain about the loss of a direct seat from HH Pkwy to the A but Riverdale riders on the Bx9 have to take the 1 to the A. Bailey Av s/o albany cres is isolated from public transportation for the most part. 

As far as Fieldston being against a bus on 253 Street 20 years later be it open or closed door, no one knows the validity of that statement unless they are an active member of the association. Whether or not Fordham Rd needs the coverage is debatable. 

Good point

As a Riverdale resident, who lives close to the estate area, I can assure you that those people would raise hell at the idea of a bus running through there.  No one in their right mind is going to pay millions of dollars to live in a private community to have local buses parading about, nor would they need local bus service.  That's the whole point of living in Fieldston... The exclusivity of being able to close down the streets to outside traffic whenever they want to.  They own the streets so whenever they feel like there's too much noise or outsiders coming in, they act swiftly and have security shut down outside traffic.  If they shut down traffic to school buses serving the elite private schools nearby, why would they want local buses running through there?

Furthermore, Riverdale as a whole is extremely vocal about traffic and congestion.  While plenty of people use the local buses here, there are plenty that would not dare use them.  The Bx20 was saved because folks were vocal here, and if there was truly a need for a local bus in the estate area of Fieldston, if anything, they would've started a private service before having a local bus there.  As for all of the shopping that you think people will be doing, I'm not all that concerned about it.  Most Riverdalians go to the city or Westchester for shopping.  The ones that do decide to venture down the hill and into the Bronx along Broadway generally drive, as it is much easier to do that than take the local bus, especially with groceries, etc. given the hilly geography here.  The folks that will be shopping on Broadway the most will be those in Kingsbridge, as these stores are mainly for working class folks, not upper middle class or upper class residents, so that's who will be going there.  I've been living here for a few years now and I have never shopped along Broadway. i really have no need to go down there, as I have everything I need here in Riverdale, and for anything else, I just to the city.

As a Riverdale resident, who lives close to the estate area, I can assure you that those people would raise hell at the idea of a bus running through there.  No one in their right mind is going to pay millions of dollars to live in a private community to have local buses parading about, nor would they need local bus service.  That's the whole point of living in Fieldston... The exclusivity of being able to close down the streets to outside traffic whenever they want to.  They own the streets so whenever they feel like there's too much noise or outsiders coming in, they act swiftly and have security shut down outside traffic.  If they shut down traffic to school buses serving the elite private schools nearby, why would they want local buses running through there?

Furthermore, Riverdale as a whole is extremely vocal about traffic and congestion.  While plenty of people use the local buses here, there are plenty that would not dare use them.  The Bx20 was saved because folks were vocal here, and if there was truly a need for a local bus in the estate area of Fieldston, if anything, they would've started a private service before having a local bus there.  As for all of the shopping that you think people will be doing, I'm not all that concerned about it.  Most Riverdalians go to the city or Westchester for shopping.  The ones that do decide to venture down the hill and into the Bronx along Broadway generally drive, as it is much easier to do that than take the local bus, especially with groceries, etc. given the hilly geography here.  The folks that will be shopping on Broadway the most will be those in Kingsbridge, as these stores are mainly for working class folks, not upper middle class or upper class residents, so that's who will be going there.  I've been living here for a few years now and I have never shopped along Broadway. i really have no need to go down there, as I have everything I need here in Riverdale, and for anything else, I just to the city.

You live in Riverdale close to Fieldston, as in adjacent to, nearby or surrounding but not inclusive of the area. You cannot assure me on matters pertaining to this because for all purposes the 2 neighborhoods are separate entities thus you aren't included in the affected demographic. If there's any anecdotal proof of that being one of the reasons for which the service was discontinued, I would be interested in reading it. I've taken many strolls through Fieldston and can only recount a few instances wherein it was closed off and primarily due to street work. However, the particular street we are discussing, is the northern boundary street and not one that I've ever seen blocked off. Blocking off that section of 253 Street from HH Pkwy E to Fieldston Rd would entail closing off the exit/entrance on the HH Pkwy, which could be done but off the top of my head HH Pkwy N/B doesn't have electronic signs in that area to quickly notify motorists of a diversion.

With regards to Fieldston and bus service (be it the old Bx24, extension of the Bx20 or a new concept), a bus parading through would imply that it is frequently stopping and moving slowly along a meandering route. As you know there's no sidewalk along any part of 253 St and no lights so its automatically closed door and the estate wasn't/wouldn't be served. If anything it was only for those who lived on Fieldston N/o HH Pkwy or the surrounding blocks East so they wouldn't have to walk downhill to Broadway or uphill to Riverdale Av. Any reincarnation of the Bx24's northern end doesn't even need to run on 253 St as running 256 to Mosholu both ways and terminating at Broadway would be better for connections, however its still a possibility. 

Riverdale is a part of the Bronx, Marble Hill is the only neighborhood that is debatable given the diversion of the Harlem River. Yes you may be allowed to write Riverdale, NY on your mail just like Queens residents write Glen Oaks, NY but you won't see any "Welcome to Riverdale" signs as the Bx7,10,20 climb the hill because as far everyone else is concerned you are politically, geographically and demographically affiliated with The Bronx. As for Riverdale shoppers not finding Broadway viable due to socioeconomic differences, this the opinion of one non-native Riverdalian and once again without data you can't assure me that most do as you suggested above. If you reread my post, my concern was primarily for those shoppers along the Bx9 which is inclusive of but not limited to East Riverdale residents. I suggested diverting the Bx20 south of 231 because the only thing losing ridership faster than it is the Bx33 (which given the rise of SoBro might change) and new routing by new shopping centers/unserved areas = new ridership. It would benefit the Bronx as a whole. 

You live in Riverdale close to Fieldston, as in adjacent to, nearby or surrounding but not inclusive of the area. You cannot assure me on matters pertaining to this because for all purposes the 2 neighborhoods are separate entities thus you aren't included in the affected demographic. If there's any anecdotal proof of that being one of the reasons for which the service was discontinued, I would be interested in reading it. I've taken many strolls through Fieldston and can only recount a few instances wherein it was closed off and primarily due to street work. However, the particular street we are discussing, is the northern boundary street and not one that I've ever seen blocked off. Blocking off that section of 253 Street from HH Pkwy E to Fieldston Rd would entail closing off the exit/entrance on the HH Pkwy, which could be done but off the top of my head HH Pkwy N/B doesn't have electronic signs in that area to quickly notify motorists of a diversion.

With regards to Fieldston and bus service (be it the old Bx24, extension of the Bx20 or a new concept), a bus parading through would imply that it is frequently stopping and moving slowly along a meandering route. As you know there's no sidewalk along any part of 253 St and no lights so its automatically closed door and the estate wasn't/wouldn't be served. If anything it was only for those who lived on Fieldston N/o HH Pkwy or the surrounding blocks East so they wouldn't have to walk downhill to Broadway or uphill to Riverdale Av. Any reincarnation of the Bx24's northern end doesn't even need to run on 253 St as running 256 to Mosholu both ways and terminating at Broadway would be better for connections, however its still a possibility. 

As for Riverdale shoppers not finding Broadway viable due to socioeconomic differences, this the opinion of one non-native Riverdalian and once again without data you can't assure me that most do as you suggested above. If you reread my post, my concern was primarily for those shoppers along the Bx9 which is inclusive of but not limited to East Riverdale residents. I suggested diverting the Bx20 south of 231 because the only thing losing ridership faster than it is the Bx33 (which given the rise of SoBro might change) and new routing by new shopping centers/unserved areas = new ridership. It would benefit the Bronx as a whole. 

Taking a stroll through an area is not living there, and estate area or not, folks in Fieldston say that they live in Riverdale, just as I do, so we are essentially one community, and quite frankly I technically could say that I live in Fieldston too since Fieldston doesn't just include the estate area.  They just happen to be in the estate area so they have more say in what goes on there because the own the streets, so they can and do close them down whenever they want as proven in various articles below.

“We had a few complaints from community members, but many more complaints complements from residents that have been alarmed by an increase in heavy truck and bus traffic,” he said of the fall restrictions. Mr. Contant added FPOA is coordinating the closure with the nearby Horace Mann School. The association plans to grant access to commercial vehicles traveling to Fieldston homes and buses picking up or dropping off children residing in the neighborhood.

In a letter to Fieldston residents, Mr. Contant said the fall restrictions reduced traffic by at least 70 buses per day going through Fieldston streets.

Source: http://riverdalepress.com/stories/Fieldston-closes-streets-to-outside-traffic,53538

However, as one community, we all share similar values.  Our primary concern, regardless of what part of Riverdale (upstairs) that is being discussed is congestion, and just because overall we are pro environment doesn't mean that we're okay with just having buses everywhere.  I've attended quite a few transportation meetings here, so I know what I'm talking about, and I know what will fly and won't fly with the community.  You on the other hand are speaking solely based on a few strolls that you've taken through Fieldston, which have nothing to do with having a bus run through that area.  We as a community all look for each other and talk to one another, especially about transportation as most move here to escape the congestion of other parts of the city, and I speak enough Riverdalians to know what I'm talking about.  When you actually live here and attend our community board meetings then you can get back to me.

As for your comment about Broadway, they're not "East Riverdale" residents.  They're Central or North Riverdale residents who live along Broadway.  Those folks do shop along Broadway, at least some of them, given their proximity to the area, and the fact that Broadway isn't anything to write home about, but even there plenty of folks will drive to Westchester or Manhattan, as the amenities further into Riverdale are scarce and walkability isn't that great.

I don't have my 1994/5 map in front of me but IIRC the headways ranged from 24-48 mins and the service hours were 9-5 MF, 10-4 Sa.

I have the Dec 1994 and Feb 1995 maps, give me a few mins.

Edit: Here they are!

Feb 1995:Bx24Feb1995.jpeg

Dec 1994:

Bx24Dec1994.jpeg

Edited by IRT Bronx Express

Taking a stroll through an area is not living there, and estate area or not, folks in Fieldston say that they live in Riverdale, just as I do, so we are essentially one community, and quite frankly I technically could say that I live in Fieldston too since Fieldston doesn't just include the estate area.  They just happen to be in the estate area so they have more say in what goes on there because the own the streets, so they can and do close them down whenever they want as proven in various articles below.

Source: http://riverdalepress.com/stories/Fieldston-closes-streets-to-outside-traffic,53538

However, as one community, we all share similar values.  Our primary concern, regardless of what part of Riverdale (upstairs) that is being discussed is congestion, and just because overall we are pro environment doesn't mean that we're okay with just having buses everywhere.  I've attended quite a few transportation meetings here, so I know what I'm talking about, and I know what will fly and won't fly with the community.  You on the other hand are speaking solely based on a few strolls that you've taken through Fieldston, which have nothing to do with having a bus run through that area.  We as a community all look for each other and talk to one another, especially about transportation as most move here to escape the congestion of other parts of the city, and I speak enough Riverdalians to know what I'm talking about.  When you actually live here and attend our community board meetings then you can get back to me.

As for your comment about Broadway, they're not "East Riverdale" residents.  They're Central or North Riverdale residents who live along Broadway.  Those folks do shop along Broadway, at least some of them, given their proximity to the area, and the fact that Broadway isn't anything to write home about, but even there plenty of folks will drive to Westchester or Manhattan, as the amenities further into Riverdale are scarce and walkability isn't that great.

Communities aren't all homogenous, how are you sure that your definition of "enough Riverdalians" guarantees a statistically accurate sample size to enable you to generalize and speak for the entire population? Besides, someone struggling to make ends meet in Tremont could plausibly have the same values with regards to transportation as an middle class Riverdalian because they are both Bronxites (you are one as well). 

Walkability is horrible in most of the N.W. Bronx unless you're an active person. Long blocks, massive hills and dreadful city steps but its still a beautiful place regardless of the socioeconomic composition of the other neighborhoods.  As for my strolls through Fieldston I said "many" not a "few", and if that was the sole basis for my comments, your attempts to invalidate my remarks would be successful. However, you didn't live there when I was riding the Bx24 through there as a kid. I understand the fact that times change but you can't ignore the fact that it was allowed before and there had to be a logical reason for why it was allowed. As for the privately owned streets, you have brought me to the most important question: is 253 Street one of them? If it is, then the MTA and FPOA managed to come to an agreement in the past and its plausible in the future.

I should have specified that I meant East with regards to Fieldston Road,  as they are geographically closer to the Bx9, so I apologize for that but could you explain "Riverdale (upstairs)"?

Also, you haven't actually commented on any of the transportation remarks I've made:

1. The shortcomings of the original Bx24 and how it was able run on 253 St until 1995

2. The possibility of a northern extension of the Bx20 to provide Mosholu Av (not Fieldston Estate) with service either via the old Bx24 route or 256 St in both directions (which would end the layover in front of the estates main entrance)

3a. The possibility of an alteration of the southern end of the Bx20 to serve Bailey Av S/o 231 St to provide service to an area currently lacking it. Ideally I would suggest sending it via the old 24 to Fordham Plaza foreseeing an increase of shoppers coming from the EAST to the new shopping plazas along Broadway that the Bx9 won't be able to handle (reasons previously stated).

3b. Terminate the Bx20 at Inwood-207 St so S. Riverdale/Sputyen Duyvil riders can still get the A but run it via 231-Bailey-Sedgwick-Fordham-207. If spaced properly, the reroute would have 10 stops after 231/kingsbridge av (the same amount it does now) to Inwood. The downside there is it can't help the Bx9 as much because it's not making any new bus connections, and it might add ~3-5 mins to the run (more if the Deegan is a parking lot).  

@IRT Bronx Express: Thanks! I was slightly off on the headways but still no way to run a route if you want it to work. 

Edited by Q43 Floral Park

Communities aren't all homogenous, how are you sure that your definition of "enough Riverdalians" guarantees a statistically accurate sample size to enable you to generalize and speak for the entire population? Besides, someone struggling to make ends meet in Tremont could plausibly have the same values with regards to transportation as an middle class Riverdalian.

Walkability is horrible in most of the N.W. Bronx unless you're an active person. Long blocks, massive hills and dreadful city steps but its still a beautiful place regardless of the socioeconomic composition of the other neighborhoods.  As for my strolls through Fieldston I said "many" not a "few", and if that was the sole basis for my comments, your attempts to invalidate my remarks would be successful. However, you didn't live there when I was riding the Bx24 through there as a kid. I understand the fact that times change but you can't ignore the fact that it was allowed before and there had to be a logical reason for why it was allowed. As for the privately owned streets, you have brought me to the most important question: is 253 Street one of them? If it is, then the MTA and FPOA managed to come to an agreement in the past and its plausible in the future.

I should have specified that I meant East with regards to Fieldston Road,  as they are geographically closer to the Bx9, so I apologize for that but could you explain "Riverdale (upstairs)"?

Also, you haven't actually commented on any of the transportation remarks I've made:

1. The shortcomings of the original Bx24 and how it was able run on 253 St until 1995

2. The possibility of a northern extension of the Bx20 to provide Mosholu Av (not Fieldston Estate) with service either via the old Bx24 route or 256 St in both directions (which would end the layover in front of the estates main entrance)

3a. The possibility of an alteration of the southern end of the Bx20 to serve Bailey Av S/o 231 St to provide service to an area currently lacking it. Ideally I would suggest sending it via the old 24 to Fordham Plaza foreseeing an increase of shoppers coming from the EAST to the new shopping plazas along Broadway that the Bx9 won't be able to handle (reasons previously stated).

3b. Terminate the Bx20 at Inwood-207 St so S. Riverdale/Sputyen Duyvil riders can still get the A but run it via 231-Bailey-Sedgwick-Fordham-207. If spaced properly, the reroute would have 10 stops after 231/kingsbridge av (the same amount it does now) to Inwood. The downside there is it can't help the Bx9 as much because it's not making any new bus connections, and it might add ~3-5 mins to the run (more if the Deegan is a parking lot).  

@IRT Bronx Express: Thanks! I was slightly off on the headways but still no way to run a route if you want it to work. 

-253rd street is most certainly part of the Estate area.  There's a mansion worth over 11 million that sits there.  

-Upstairs Riverdale refers to everything going up the hill via Riverdale Avenue (east and west).  Downstairs Riverdale would be everything along Broadway (east and west) that doesn't ascend into the hills towards H.H. Parkway or Riverdale Avenue.

-Listen, the demographics here have changed significantly since the Bx24 was around.   What was okay back then won't necessarily be okay now, and as I said before, you can take all of the strolls you want here.  When you start interacting with the residents here, going to community board meetings and transportation meetings, and so on, that's when you get a true understanding for how residents are here, and there isn't much of a difference between those of us in upstairs Riverdale.  There's pockets of affluence throughout, so the feelings of wanting quiet and exclusivity exist throughout Riverdale, not just in Fieldston.  

-Transportation is valued here, but at the same time, so is peace and quiet, regardless to where you are upstairs.  When I attended a Metro-North hearing here in Riverdale, the biggest complaint was about additional Hudson Rail Link buses running west of the Henry Hudson Parkway, which is affluent just like Fieldston, and what did they care about? Noise, pollution, congestion and the overall quality of life being ruined, and I agreed with them, though I did support the additional Metro-North service.  In short, if the service was really needed, we would get it.  

• 4 weeks later...

I had a Bronx bus map from 1994. Too bad I don't have it now...

well I have a 1996, 2000, and 2002 Bronx bus maps

Proposals I want are the bx28,and bx8 to have limited bus service, bx41(Local) to go back to E241 street or return of bx55 to serve third ave-149th street to E241 street as a rush hour to help the bx39 since it has horrible pm rush timing. and bx40 or bx42 to have limited stops since Gun hill depot has no limited in their routes.

Edited by SevenEleven

Proposals I want are the bx28,and bx8 to have limited bus service, bx41(Local) to go back to E241 street or return of bx55 to serve third ave-149th street to E241 street as a rush hour to help the bx39 since it has horrible pm rush timing. and bx40 or bx42 to have limited stops since Gun hill depot has no limited in their routes.

- Nah, The Bx8 doesn't have the headways or the ridership for the MTA to implement LTD service on that route.....

They actually have criteria that have to be met before giving a route LTD service.....

- I agree with you with sending Bx41's back to Wakefield, but unfortunately w/ SBS now on the route, we can forget about it....

- I'm inclined to agree w/ LTD service along Tremont (not for that reason though).... Both those routes crawl along E. Tremont.... Hell, getting from Throgs Neck to the (6) can take 1/2 an hour alone.....