Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what depot was the bx54 dispatched to?

I think it was ether The Coliseum or Walnut Depots.

I believe it was Coliseum. Walnut didn't open until the '90's...

The old Bx54 ran out of Walnut....

edit: in case y'all need proof, here's a link

(just scroll down to "page 4")

Edited by B35 via Church

Express Bus Changes

BxM1 now uses 3rd Ave/Willis Ave Bridges instead of RFK bridge

BxM2 now uses Madison Ave Bridge

BxM4A service returns on the former route via Grand Concorse to Paul Ave/205th St

BxM4B now a rush hour only service to Woodlawn only, for the Grand Concourse use the BxM4A

BxM8 now 5 buses in each direction will serve City Island

BxM11 special rush hour super express service only makes stops north of Gun Hill Rd. 2 buses in each direction

BxM18 route changed around in Lower Manhattan, route now runs non stop via FDR Drive between 23rd St and Financial District. Route serves the downtown loop that the QM/BM Express routs run.

Express Bus Changes

BxM1 now uses 3rd Ave/Willis Ave Bridges instead of RFK bridge

BxM2 now uses Madison Ave Bridge

BxM4A service returns on the former route via Grand Concorse to Paul Ave/205th St

BxM4B now a rush hour only service to Woodlawn only, for the Grand Concourse use the BxM4A

BxM8 now 5 buses in each direction will serve City Island

BxM11 special rush hour super express service only makes stops north of Gun Hill Rd. 2 buses in each direction

BxM18 route changed around in Lower Manhattan, route now runs non stop via FDR Drive between 23rd St and Financial District. Route serves the downtown loop that the QM/BM Express routs run.

LOL... These ideas are ridiculous... BxM1 & BxM2 use whatever routing works based on traffic so they don't have to use the Major Deegan or

RFK for that matter.  Last night there was traffic, so my BxM2 went via Inwood, via the Harlem River Drive.

BxM4 is the way that it is because the BxM4A wasn't utilized enough.  Folks in Woodlawn, especially seniors would be pissed at the idea of only having a rush hour only route.  You would basically destroy what little ridership is left.

BxM11 doesn't need that at all, as most of the usage is in Pelham Parkway, particularly the first few stops.

BxM8 I can agree with... More service should be given to City Island to encourage ridership, so long as it doesn't make service worse.

The BxM18 serves as a transfer bus for Queens and Bronx folks who need Downtown service.  The ridership is such Downtown that the current routing works just fine.

LOL... These ideas are ridiculous... BxM1 & BxM2 use whatever routing works based on traffic so they don't have to use the Major Deegan or

RFK for that matter.  Last night there was traffic, so my BxM2 went via Inwood, via the Harlem River Drive.

BxM4 is the way that it is because the BxM4A wasn't utilized enough.  Folks in Woodlawn, especially seniors would be pissed at the idea of only having a rush hour only route.  You would basically destroy what little ridership is left.

BxM11 doesn't need that at all, as most of the usage is in Pelham Parkway, particularly the first few stops.

BxM8 I can agree with... More service should be given to City Island to encourage ridership, so long as it doesn't make service worse.

The BxM18 serves as a transfer bus for Queens and Bronx folks who need Downtown service.  The ridership is such Downtown that the current routing works just fine.

BxM18 would save time if it jumped on the FDR from 23rd St and missed all the Broadway traffic

BxM18 would save time if it jumped on the FDR from 23rd St and missed all the Broadway traffic

Not necessarily.  The Downtown Loop buses don't save much time either.  Aside from that you would piss off a lot of people that use the BxM18 Downtown.  There are a lot of people that get on Downtown that don't work near the Downtown Loop.  The route serves these people. It takes Broadway & 5th because those are the most direct ways Downtown, and also because there a lot of folks in Riverdale that work along 5th & or Madison in addition to the folks that use the BxM2 via 7th and the BxM1 via Lex.  Only a few buses are heavily delayed, and only during certain parts of the year.  Other than that it really isn't that bad.  My trip on the BxM18 (whenever I do use it is 35 minutes).  The way in which Yonkers sets up the routes generally allow for those BxM18's to arrive on time for their pick-up segments.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• 5 weeks later...

5. I would add overnight service to the Bx7, along with more service during the AM and PM Rush Hours. The Bx7 should run every 5 minutes at Rush Hours.

Add more Bx7 service for what? Just make the service reliable and maybe add a few artics and call it a day. Overnight service is not needed. The Bx10 is good enough, as it serves Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale. Riverdale is pretty dead at night, so it would only take maybe 5 minutes at the most to go through Spuyten Duyvil. The only stops that the Bx7 makes that the Bx10 doesn't make are Riverdale Avenue and 236th, & Riverdale Avenue & 238th, both of which are close to Henry Hudson Parkway & West 239th where the Bx10 stops. We don't want more buses around here clogging up our narrow streets and causing more pollution. If anything I would advocate for later express bus service before advocating for overnight Bx7 service or additional Bx7 buses during the rush. Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1. The Bx7 can use overnight service (along with the M100) as folks in Riverdale who work in the Washington Heights area during the Overnight Hours can have a direct service rather than the Bx10 with transfer to the (1), which only adds up to 45 minutes travel time (mainly due to the Late Night headways on the Subways and buses). This is mainly for network coverage purposes.

2. The Bx7 is jam packed during the Rush Hours, and Artics won't solve the problem. You need a bus every 5 minutes during these Hours along the Bx7 (even with the Bx20 there - I say eliminate this route as you have the Bx10 with transfer to the (1) or Bx7 for that coverage) as the connection to NJ Transit buses at the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal and to several MTA NYC Transit buses at West 168th Street (especially to/from the M2) is crucial for these customers who do not want to be bothered with the extra transfer to/from the Subways (to go along with the longer walks to/from the Subway Stations from their destinations and work places).

3. The MTA is purchasing buses with cleaner fuels to reduce the pollution so that is mainly not the issue.

Oh please. Stop exaggerating. The Bx7 does not need service every 5 minutes during the rush, as it already runs every 6-8 minutes. The main problem with the Bx7 is reliability, and even having a bus every 5 minutes wouldn't make a difference if 4 of them are going to come packed up together. They even run bunched sometimes on Sundays 4 back to back to back to back coming to Riverdale & 236th, which is really ridiculous. Aside from that there are plenty of short turned Bx10's that just go to and from 231st to the (1) to alleviate overcrowding. We in Riverdale do not want buses parading down Riverdale Avenue every 5 minutes when there is already enough congestion along the avenue as it is. Clean Air buses reduce pollution, but they don't eliminate it.

As for the Bx20 fat chance. The folks down in Spuyten Duyvil screamed like hell to keep it because without the Bx20, they would have to make a transfer to the Bx7 to get to the (A) .

LOL... Who in the hell in Riverdale is working in Washington Heights of all places? Please...

Any Bx20 customers who want the (A) can simply take the Bx10 to Broadway, transfer to the (1) to West 168th Street, and transfer there to the (A). Otherwise, they will transfer to the Bx7 to go to Washington Heights because they don't need the (A).

Also, a 5 minute headway on the Bx7 won't hurt at all (even with Artics). It is not like you're going to put a LIMITED-STOP SERVICE on the route as Washington Heights is not a major business district, but sure there is enough people travelling to Washington Heights, especially to transfer to NJ Transit buses to New Jersey at George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal and to work at the Hospital. Let us not forget those students at the College of Mount St. Vincent at the route's terminal.

Was there a proposal to extend the Bx7 to Yonkers/Getty Square?

I'd like to know how you're "so sure" of who is traveling where in Riverdale? For the most part, Riverdalians commute to work in Manhattan (Upper East Side, Upper West Side and parts of Midtown, with the remaining working Downtown or even in Westchester). People who work in New Jersey usually drive.

It's not that "simple" because what you don't get is that some people have additional transfers to make after they take the (1) or the (A) . The point of having the Bx20 is to cut down on transfers. And LOL with this nonsense about so many college students using the local buses in Riverdale. Most of the schools here are private and expensive, and most folks drive to those places or if they're in Manhattan, they take the express bus or Metro-North. I think you're going overboard with how many Riverdalians supposedly work in Washington Heights and New Jersey. If anything it's the reverse... More like people coming from the Bronx and Upper Manhattan to work in Riverdale. The amount of nannies and home attendants here demonstrate this, but still the current headways on the Bx7 suffice.

Lets see! People in Riverdale looking to cut down on transfers would do one of the following:

Bx9 - (1) - (A), Bx9 - (1) - (C), Bx7 - (A), Bx10 - (1) - (A), Bx10 - (1) - (C), Bx9 - Bx7, Bx10 - Bx7, Bx9 - Bx7 - M2, Bx10 - Bx7 - M2, Bx7 - M2, Bx10 - Bx7 - M100, Bx7 - M100, Bx9 - (4), Bx9 - Bx7 - NJ Transit Bus, Bx10 - Bx7 - NJ Transit Bus, or Bx7 - NJ Transit Bus.

Other than the fact that the Bx7 and Bx9 are coverage routes, I only see the people using the BxM1, BxM2, BxM3 and BxM18 for service to the Central Business District or MetroNorth Railroad.

You clearly don't live here and don't visit here because the BxM1, BxM2, BxM3 and BxM18 serve more than just the "Central Business District". Stop looking at a map and trying to tell us what we need when you don't even live or visit here. Your comments would be a bit more credible if you actually came here on a regular basis.

It is not about looking at the maps!

I have been on the Bx7 bus several times to know that it needs a 5 minute headway at Rush Hours. Off Peak Hours, it can escape with an 8 to 10 minute headway.

I know that bunching is always an issue, as the Bx7 is not the only route in NYC with this problem.

Also, I would place Overnight service on the Bx7 for coverage purposes only! Better to have the service there (available) than to not have the service at all.

Please... There is no need for overnight service on the Bx7 when the Bx10 barely carries.

As for the Bx7 during the rush, 5 minutes versus 6-8 minutes... Not that big of a difference...

The Bx7 overnight service is a much better idea than the Bx10 overnight service as the Bx7 is the main route out of the two along with the Bx9.

And yes it is a big difference when you are talking about the crowds on the Bx7 (especially now that the M100 has been taken off Broadway in the Inwood section of Manhattan).

Overnight service on the Bx7 would only be hourly so the residents won't notice too much (I know Riverdale is a very quiet area of New York), while the service is available.

Explain how the Bx7 overnight is much better than the Bx10 when the Bx7 completely skips Spuyten Duyvil?

Furthermore, the Bx9 has nothing to do with this part of Riverdale, as the Bx9 serves Broadway, down the hill.

The M100 still serves Broadway. Only its most northern part of the route was removed from Broadway. What does Inwood have to do with Riverdale? The M100 only goes to Inwood, not Riverdale.

I'll say this:

The Bx8 should extend into Queens via the Throgs Neck Bridge to Bay Terrace. I would also add a Bx48 Local (at policy headway) from Westchester Square (6) Station to Great Neck LIRR Station (entering Nassau County) for NICE Bus connection (which would only drop off Nassau bound and pick up Bronx bound in Queens to speed up the trip), and would also service Bay Terrace and travel via East Tremont Avenue to the Throgs Neck Bridge.

I would add Overnight service to the following routes: Bx1, Bx3, Bx4, Bx5, Bx7, Bx11, Bx16, Bx17, Bx22 (to Fordham Plaza), Bx30, Bx31, Bx32, Bx33, and Bx39.

I would start up a Bx40 LIMITED (to go along with the Bx40/Bx42) during the AM and PM Rush Hours and only have the Bx42 run Local Full route. The Bx40 Local will only operate between Fort Schuyler and Westchester Square (6) Station. During Off Peak Hours, the Bx40 and Bx42 will remain as a Local due to headways not meeting the guideline (5 minutes between buses).

Did you win the Lottery or something??

Firstly, I did state that I would add overnight service to the Bx1, so to add overnight service to the Bx7 would eliminate overnight service on the Bx10 and the Late Night Bx1 would service Spuyten Duyvil and terminate at Riverdale Avenue at Henry Hudson Parkway.

Other than just connecting to the (1), the Bx10 does nothing more than zig-zag its way South of Van Cortlandt Park, to the (4) and (D) while the Bx1 (overnight) would alleviate this and remain on the Grand Concourse to Mott Haven.

That's precisely why the Bx10 runs... You have no idea how many nurses need the Bx10 from the Bronx to arrive overnight for work in Riverdale. We have a large amount of senior homes here (at least three or four right near me, and another two or three down in Spuyten Duyvil), and cutting the Bx10 would simply not be feasible. Not only that, but you would cut off East Side access for people who want the (4) train or need to head points east in the Bronx. This wouldn't necessarily hurt Riverdale residents, but it would certainly hurt people that work in Riverdale... Nannies and doormen are included in that, as there are plenty of them that come from the Bronx or even as far as Brooklyn to work in Riverdale as well.

Furthermore, how in the world would the Bx1 end at Henry Hudson Parkway & Riverdale Avenue? Riverdale Avenue becomes Henry Hudson Parkway at West 239th street and Riverdale Avenue commences again after 253rd street past the estate area west of the parkway and Fieldston (the private estate area east of the parkway)... Once again you show that you don't frequent this area the way that you claim you do. Completely pointless to cut back any bus when overnight when it's a quick 10 minute run or less to North Riverdale.

No! The people on the East Side of Manhattan looking for Riverdale would simply take the M2 (from 5th Avenue/Madison Avenue) to West 168th Street, or the M101 (from 3rd Avenue/Lexington Avenue) to West 168th Street and transfer to the Bx7 (a one block walk from the M101). MetroNorth stops running around Midnight so if the people are fortunate to board the last train, the trip would be less than 25 minutes to Riverdale, much faster than the (4) to the Bx9 or Bx1 [at Moshoulou Parkway] would ever be.

It may be a block or so away from the Henry Hudson Parkway where that Overnight Bx1 terminates and turns around, however in a area where there would be a transfer to the Bx7. The Bx10 would resume at 5 AM.

Metro-North does not stop running around midnight. Where are you getting this inaccurate information from?? Furthermore, Metro-North runs along an isolated stretch of Riverdale and requires a transfer for most who don't live near it, not to mention having to navigate the very hilly terrain to even get to a local bus stop. There are plenty of people that use the (4) train to access the Bx10. I also don't know where you could terminate a bus "one block from the Henry Hudson Parkway", as those areas are very residential and would not need nor want a bus terminating on their block.

Are you seriously telling me that someone is going to take the M101 all the way from say Union Square to 168th street when the (4) train would be much faster? Don't be ridiculous. You just have an obsession with cutting the Bx10 overnight and your reasons for doing so are completely asinine.

Metro-North does not stop running around midnight. Where are you getting this inaccurate information from?? Furthermore, Metro-North runs along an isolated stretch of Riverdale and requires a transfer for most who don't live near it, not to mention having to navigate the very hilly terrain to even get to a local bus stop. There are plenty of people that use the (4) train to access the Bx10. I also don't know where you could terminate a bus "one block from the Henry Hudson Parkway", as those areas are very residential and would not need nor want a bus terminating on their block.

Are you seriously telling me that someone is going to take the M101 all the way from say Union Square to 168th street when the (4) train would be much faster? Don't be ridiculous. You just have an obsession with cutting the Bx10 overnight and your reasons for doing so are completely asinine.

I'm telling you, he sounds like someone who was banned twice already, its too much of a coincidence...

-Only posts in the proposal/ideas threads

-Dismisses everyones ideas and flaunts his like its the surefire way to go

-Completely ignores people who tell him why it won't work (even the people who live in said areas)

...think about it

I'm telling you, he sounds like someone who was banned twice already, its too much of a coincidence...

-Only posts in the proposal/ideas threads

-Dismisses everyones ideas and flaunts his like its the surefire way to go

-Completely ignores people who tell him why it won't work (even the people who live in said areas)

...think about it

Oh these things I already know... I hinted at the idea yesterday in the shout box... lol Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Union Square? Nobody is taking the (4) from Union Square to Riverdale when they can find their way to the (1) in that area (via the (L), (N) or (Q) ). Also regarding the M101, I was talking about the Upper East Side (say around East 86th Street or East 96th Street) to West 168th Street/Amsterdam Avenue for a walking transfer to the Bx7 (at Broadway).

Also, for the most accurate information (I said Midnight or around Midnight), it stops running approximately 1:30 AM (the last train that stops at Riverdale out of Grand Central is at 1:50 AM).

Just by this info, the Bx10 is not needed overnight, even for access to buses to the East Side of the Bronx when the Bx1 and Bx7 can do the job overnight (especially the Bx1 servicing Spuyten Duyvl and terminating at as you stated, West 253rd Street). Other than the advice to schedule the Bx9 every 45 minutes late nights on Weekends, I see the Bx1 doing the job that the Bx10 is currently doing with transfers to the Bx28 (route to extend to Moshoulou Parkway (4) ), and the Bx9 connects with the Bx12, Bx21, Bx22 (with extension to Fordham), Bx36 and Bx40.

-So you're advocating for someone to transfer from one subway line to take the (1) train local all to support your idea of them using the Bx7 or Bx1... Smh... Since when does the Bx7 serve the East Side of the Bronx?? It serves Riverdale and Upper Manhattan, and the Bx1 serves the South Bronx via the Concourse and the Kingsbridge/Riverdale border.

-No, I didn't say anything about terminating a bus at West 253rd street. I just clarified where Henry Hudson Parkway ends and Riverdale Av begins again, as there would be no reason to end a bus there.

-Even at 86th or 96th street, it would still make more sense to take the (4) to the Bx10 or even better, the BxM1 if it is still running at that time of the night.

P.S. It's Mosholu, not Moshoulou. For someone who claims to be in Riverdale so much, you should probably know that.