Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

Like I said, nobody is taking the (4) with transfer to the Bx9 or Bx10 from Union Square to The Bronx when there are easy connections to the (1) via the (L), (N) or (Q)! Let us NOTE that the (A) runs Local during Late Nights as well.

Regarding the (4) to the Bx10 from East 86th Street or East 96th Street, it is only a speed matter and not a sense matter as one would take the M101 to West 168th Street for the Bx7 to Riverdale (it is you can't access the (1) at the Upper East Side unless you take a Crosstown bus, and the only sensible route is to use the M101 with transfer to the Bx7 or take the (4) to the Bx9 or (my suggested) Bx1 (at Mosholu Parkway)).

And I can tell you this as a Bronx to Queens commuter: The only way I am taking the Subway from Laurelton to The Bronx is when I am either going to the South Bronx area (near Yankee Stadium or Hostos Community College) or Riverdale as the Q44 crosses the Whitestone Bridge and enters The Bronx about the same amount of time it would take for me to ride the (E) or (F) with transfer to the (7) with transfer to the (4) or to the (D). Riverdale means I am mostly going to Times Square or Columbus Circle for the (1) as it is faster to do that than to try to crawl across the Bronx on the Bx9 after the ride on the Q44. Otherwise, keep me out of that Subway as I do not want to be bothered with those Midtown transfers and letting 4 or 5 (4)(5)(6) trains pass by just to be able to enter (meaning a wait of 20 to 35 minutes for trains that arrive every 8 minutes in general, and 3 to 4 minutes overall). Then that Westchester commute I am pretty much doing the same thing as The Bronx commute unless it is to White Plains when I have the other carrier buses (Coach USA and Adirondack Trailways) at Queens Village (Springfield/Hillside).

We're talking about late at night, not during rush hours or times in the morning or afternoon when more people are riding the system, so one would not be waiting for 4 or 5 trains to pass by. Furthermore, no one with common sense wants to make that transfers late at night given the reduced frequencies in service, so the idea of someone doing all of the transferring that you're suggesting is preposterous.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Instead of running the Bx7 overnight, just extend it to Ludlow MNR (MTA's original plan), or Getty Square.

The Bx23 or Q50 should run overnight before the Bx7 does.

The Bx5 could be rerouted this way

1. N/B

Right on Brush Avenue, left on Lafayette Avenue, left on East Tremont Avenue, right on Bruckner Boulevard (would have a stop right next to the Lafayette Avenue entrance)

or

Right on Hutchinson River Parkway (Q44 routing), left on Lafayette Avenue, left on East Tremont Avenue, right on Bruckner Boulevard

S/B

Left on East Tremont Avenue, right on Lafayette Avenue, right on Brush Avenue, left on Bruckner Boulevard.

2. Extend daytime White Plains Road trips to the mall and create a Bx5A which will do follow the Q44 until Lafayette Avenue and terminate there, it will then make a right turn and start service by Monsignor Scanlan to go back to Hunts Point. The Q50 will connect the Bx5A passengers to/from Pelham Bay with a three legged transfer.

Bx5 to Pelham Bay will remain the same.

3. Reroute Bx5 one of the ways shown in #1, but also extend the White Plains Road short turns as shown in #2. All short turns would service the mall (until around 11pm at least), Q50 can be used to transfer to the Bx5 at Pelham Bay, or the Throggs Neck Shopping Center

Instead of running the Bx7 overnight, just extend it to Ludlow MNR (MTA's original plan), or Getty Square.

I don't see what one has to do with the other...?!??? Let Westchester take that on. The Bx7 would only become more delayed and bunch even more than it already does. There is a reason that the M100 was cut back from serving Riverdale... Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I don't see what one has to do with the other...?!??? Let Westchester take that on. The Bx7 would only become more delayed and bunch even more than it already does. There is a reason that the M100 was cut back from serving Riverdale...

Bx7 or Bx10 to Yonkers would be "serving new markets" (and would give that area bus service on Sundays, Thanksgiving, and Christmas). A Bx10 extension would give Yonkers 24/7 service immediately. A Bx9 extension to Yonkers would only help Yonkers late nights and certain holidays where Bee Line doesn't operate. Bx20 to Yonkers would be a good test case though since it is only rush hours only (still doesn't help during Sundays, Thanksgiving, and Christmas though).

Some Bx7 buses can short turn. Either run from Yonkers to 231 St, or from 168 St to 263 St

A W8 extension to 231 St is also something that could be looked at, along with Sunday service.

Edited by GreatOne2k

You have no idea how many nurses need the Bx10 from the Bronx to arrive overnight for work in Riverdale.

Umm... Riverdale is part of the Bronx, but will never admit it.  In fact, some Riverdale folks were very upset over the 1989 restructuring that created the Bx20 by shortening the M100, because they liked having a route with a Manhattan number as their primary service.

Umm... Riverdale is part of the Bronx, but will never admit it.  In fact, some Riverdale folks were very upset over the 1989 restructuring that created the Bx20 by shortening the M100, because they liked having a route with a Manhattan number as their primary service.

Ummm let's be clear here. You can yell about that all you want, but quite frankly we have nothing in common and it's well established that we really aren't part of the Bronx. It's like East Harlem and the Upper East Side... Are they in Manhattan? Sure, but try telling someone living in penthouse on Madison off of the 70's that their lifestyle is just like that of someone in East Harlem... Like I said nothing in common, so excuse me for excluding Riverdale as part of the Bronx. The exclusionary issue comes into play because we don't want to be associated with the Bronx, which is mainly poor, with tons of unemployment and high crime. Folks work hard up here to keep this upper class/upper middle class neighborhood desirable, safe and clean. If Riverdale didn't work to separate itself from the Bronx, it would be lumped in with the rest of the crime ridden, poor borough and would rapidly deteriorate like numerous neighborhoods have historically in the borough and continue to today. Look at Throggs Neck... They introduced Section 8 and people are leaving in droves and getting the hell out while they can. That neighborhood is done after many years of staying decent when most of the Bronx was complete hell. When people think of the Bronx, they think of crime, poor folks, and run down buildings, projects and Section 8. They don't think that when they hear Riverdale. Riverdale is mainly home owners of houses, condos or co-ops with very few rentals, and the rentals are heavily scrutinized to make sure we don't have riff raff coming in. My neighbors and I talk about the difference between the Riverdale and the Bronx down the hill, and it is certainly noticeable, and I'm reminded of it every day when I'm on the express bus going through that sh*t hole down the hill. Go down the hill by the housing projects by 230th and Broadway and see all of the trash and filth all over the place and then get back to me. If you think that's great living down there, then good for you, but we don't.

Bx7 or Bx10 to Yonkers would be "serving new markets" (and would give that area bus service on Sundays, Thanksgiving, and Christmas). A Bx10 extension would give Yonkers 24/7 service immediately. A Bx9 extension to Yonkers would only help Yonkers late nights and certain holidays where Bee Line doesn't operate. Bx20 to Yonkers would be a good test case though since it is only rush hours only (still doesn't help during Sundays, Thanksgiving, and Christmas though).

Some Bx7 buses can short turn. Either run from Yonkers to 231 St, or from 168 St to 263 St

A W8 extension to 231 St is also something that could be looked at, along with Sunday service.

Like I said, the Bx7 has enough issues as it is and it would not be supported by folks in Riverdale. Let Westchester deal with their transportation. Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Ummm let's be clear here. You can yell about that all you want, but quite frankly we have nothing in common and it's well established that we really aren't part of Bronx.

Like I said, the Bx7 has enough issues as it is and it would not be supported by folks in Riverdale. Let Westchester deal with their transportation.

If you're not part of the bronx, eliminate all MTA services there, and let Riverdale come up with their own bus service for their people. Simple as that, lol.

If you're not part of the bronx, eliminate all MTA services there, and let Riverdale come up with their own bus service for their people. Simple as that, lol.

Truth be told, you should be thanking Riverdale for the express bus service that you have because it was residents of Riverdale that started their own express bus service (yes their own) back in the late 50's. Eventually other communities started catching on and wanting the same thing, arguing that they should not have to pay two fares to commute from their neighborhoods. I spoke with the lady that helped to start the service at my BxM1 bus stop several months ago. She's been living in Riverdale for well over 40 years and still uses the express bus, as she got on with me as we chatted about the current express bus service in the area. Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Like I said nothing in common, so excuse me for excluding Riverdale as part of the Bronx. The exclusionary issue comes into play because we don't want to be associated with the Bronx, which is mainly poor, with tons of unemployment and high crime.

If you don't want to be associated with the Bronx, then don't live in Bronx County.

If you don't want to be associated with the Bronx, then don't live in Bronx County.

lol... That's why folks live in Riverdale, so that they aren't associated with the Bronx, hence why many use including the stores use Riverdale, NY.  Riverdale is seen as an upper extension of Manhattan, so it isn't an accident that many Manhattanites move here for that reason, hence the nickname "NoMa" (North of Manhattan).  Anywho, back to the proposals...  The idea of the Bx7 being extended into Westchester or the Bx9 for that matter would be a waste of money, as the gained ridership would be off set by bunching and unreliable service.  The M100 was split up precisely to address the reliablity issue, as the route was seen as too long given the traffic along Broadway.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

lol... That's why folks live in Riverdale, so that they aren't associated with the Bronx, hence why many use including the stores use Riverdale, NY. 

By definition, they are "associated with the Bronx" because Riverdale IS part of the Bronx whether they like it or not.  If they'd rather live elsewhere, then they should move elsewhere.  Pretending that Riverdale is an independent municipality doesn't make it one.

Edited by Gotham Bus Co.

By definition, they are "associated with the Bronx" because Riverdale IS part of the Bronx whether they like it or not.  If they'd rather live elsewhere, then they should move elsewhere.  Pretending that Riverdale is an independent municipality doesn't make it one.

Well your opinion about our neighborhood really doesn't matter since you DON'T live here.  It's not as if we're going to change because of what you say, so you might as well move on, as it has been this way probably well before you were born.  lol

Exactly. And why should we subsidize Riverdale riders if they're not a part of the Bronx.

:P

Because we're part of NYC, whether you like it or not... Anywho, back to more proposals...

So you guys are part of the Bronx. Proves my point (you guys aren't Westchester, that's for sure).

Riverdale, NY just like Middle Village, NY... Long story, but Riverdale was part of Westchester just like Queens was part of Long Island, and here Riverdale, NY has always been used, just like Middle Village, NY has always been used. Ok, now let's move back to proposals please, because like I said, nothing will change here.

Socially, Riverdale may feel like Manhattan, but physically it's part of the Bronx.  That's not just an "opinon" but a geographic fact which anybody can look up and which Riverdale residents must accept.

It's legal fact as well.

Socially, Riverdale may feel like Manhattan, but physically it's part of the Bronx.  That's not just an "opinon" but a geographic fact which anybody can look up and which Riverdale residents must accept.

Well they aren't so you might as well get over it and move on, as if your shouting is somehow going to change an entire community... LOL I have no idea why you brought this up any way when we were discussing proposals. You would benefit from dropping the topic and moving back to the original discussion.

Riverdale, NY just like Middle Village, NY... Long story, but Riverdale was part of Westchester just like Queens was part of Long Island, and here Riverdale, NY has always been used, just like Middle Village, NY has always been used. Ok, now let's move back to proposals please, because like I said, nothing will change here.

Queens is still part of Long Island...

Not this crap again. Riverdale may be more residential and suburban than other sections of the borough, but IT'S STILL PART OF THE BRONX!!!

Thank you!

Queens is still part of Long Island...

So I guess you pay Long Island taxes then since you're still part of Long Island... LOL Anywho, since this is supposed to be about proposals  <_<, let's get back to that please! Down the road, there may be more Bx7 or Bx10 shuttle buses from Riverdale to 231st street.  I guess they would be put in during the rush if anything, but I tend to see more of these buses outside of the rush. Kind of pointless since the crowding isn't really an issue during those times. 

So I guess you pay Long Island taxes then since you're still part of Long Island... LOL Anywho, since this is supposed to be about proposals  <_<, let's get back to that please! Down the road, there may be more Bx7 or Bx10 shuttle buses from Riverdale to 231st street.  I guess they would be put in during the rush if anything, but I tend to see more of these buses outside of the rush. Kind of pointless since the crowding isn't really an issue during those times. 

Queens is within city limits, but it, along with Brooklyn, Nassau, and Suffolk make up Long Island. 

So I guess you pay Long Island taxes then since you're still part of Long Island...

Thank you.

Nassau seceded from Queens sometime around 1900 IIRC, & took the brand of "Long Island" with them, so screw it.... I'm a long island resident just as much as you aren't a bronx resident :lol: .... I mean really, I'd like to see Queens county & Kings county residents come out the woodwork claiming they're Long Islanders...Better yet, I want to hear people start calling Queens/Kings counties "urban long island" & Nassau/Suffolk counties "suburban long island".....

I made this point on another forum a couple years ago... You can't bring up Brooklyn & Queens being technically in long island, but also say Brooklyn & Queens residents aren't long islanders, because they aren't suburban..... This is what you call trying to have your cake & eat it too....

Queens is within city limits, but it, along with Brooklyn, Nassau, and Suffolk make up Long Island. 

.....and the B15, Q3, and Q10 serve Idlewild airport.

Edited by B35 via Church

Thank you.

Nassau seceded from Queens sometime around 1900 IIRC, & took the brand of "Long Island" with them, so screw it.... I'm a long island resident just as much as you aren't a bronx resident :lol: .... I mean really, I'd like to see Queens county & Kings county residents come out the woodwork claiming they're Long Islanders...Better yet, I want to hear people start calling Queens/Kings counties "urban long island" & Nassau/Suffolk counties "suburban long island".....

I made this point on another forum a couple years ago... You can't bring up Brooklyn & Queens being technically in long island, but also say Brooklyn & Queens residents aren't long islanders, because they aren't suburban..... This is what you call trying to have your cake & eat it too....

.....and the B15, Q3, and Q10 serve Idlewild airport.

Close enough (1899).

Well yeah, Long Island nowadays is exclusively pinpointed towards Nassau and Suffolk, but I'm saying that geographically, Queens is still part of Long Island and Brooklyn as well. Are there differences, of course. How Brooklyn and Queens sees them selves in association with Long Island is up to them (I tend to say I'm a city resident, because we, as in Brooklyn and Queens, are within NYC limits). Most of us don't associate ourselves with being LI'ers and rather with city folks, but still, geographically, the 4 are long island.

Okay, sorry for the delay, let's go back to proposals.

Should the AM rush variation of the Bx13 (to Elton Avenue) be eliminated?

Bx33

I don't know how effective this would be, but what about making the Bx33 a loop route through Port Morris. The route would originate at Harlem, and the Bx33 would run in Port Morris in a Loop, with the route completely utilizing Willow Avenue southbound, and Walnut northbound, then back to Harlem. 

There would be a small decrease in runtime, which would save ~$49,810 annually

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven