Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

One move that should be done - and would result in the elimination of the Bx34: Reroute the Bx16 to serve most of Woodlawn via Katonah Avenue and Van Cortlandt Park East...then send it down to Fordham; run-ons and run-offs can then occur from the Fordham end via either Fordham or Kingsbridge Roads to the Kingsbridge Depot.

As for the Bx24---its stop at Westchester Square needs to be moved to where the Bx31 currently lays over; its stop is far out of the way at Westchester Square.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Broadway & 230th Street on the BxM1/2/18.

And I swear, he's getting more and more arrogant on this "affluent neighborhoods vs. non-affluent neighborhoods" BS. Suddenly it's alright to remove a stop when the closest one is over 5 blocks away, just because it happens to be in Kingsbridge, and yet at the same time, he insists that "Oh, the seniors can't walk more than a couple of blocks" when we're talking about running the B64 down Harway Avenue (and like I said, I never said that it shouldn't be run down that street, only that use of "Oh, seniors have trouble walking" is BS as the primary reason for wanting that). I mean, we're talking about one stop, not changing up a whole route.

Come to think about it, I went to Google StreetView and found this: https://www.google.c...=12,246.87,,0,0

Those sure as hell look like seniors waiting at that stop. <_< Is it possible they're waiting for the Bx7 or Bx20? Yes, but it's also very possible that they're waiting for the express bus.

lol... Very funny... That bus shelter is not where the express buses stop at. The local buses stop there. I know the bus stop is there, but where the actual express buses stop at isn't by the shelter. Oh and this 5 block nonsense... Stop looking at the bloody map... It's 3 1/2 short blocks based on where the express buses stop.

One move that should be done - and would result in the elimination of the Bx34: Reroute the Bx16 to serve most of Woodlawn via Katonah Avenue and Van Cortlandt Park East...then send it down to Fordham; run-ons and run-offs can then occur from the Fordham end via either Fordham or Kingsbridge Roads to the Kingsbridge Depot.

As for the Bx24---its stop at Westchester Square needs to be moved to where the Bx31 currently lays over; its stop is far out of the way at Westchester Square.

And why should the Bx34 be eliminated when it gets good usage??

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Come to think about it, I went to Google StreetView and found this: https://www.google.c...=12,246.87,,0,0

Those sure as hell look like seniors waiting at that stop. <_< Is it possible they're waiting for the Bx7 or Bx20? Yes, but it's also very possible that they're waiting for the express bus.

Oh over there.... yeah, that's the stop I often catch the BxM2 back to manhattan.... part that sucks is that where those seniors are sitting, are only where the local buses stop..... the express buses stop at the pole a few yards behind it......

side note: nice find....

chick on the other side of the glass (by the fence) can get it.....

Edited by B35 via Church

hmm bronx ehh ok here is a few give proper feedback: not based on other proposals though:

Bx 18 extends to woodlawn/wakefield via sedgwick ave and (1) marble hill station then enters I-87 from 230th exit 10 then gets off to 233rd to katonah or via van cortlandt park E to mclean then to wakefield via nereid or wakefield ave the routings well its an either or with me.

Bx40 becomes fulltime LTD and replaces Bx18 south of morris heights.

Bx35 extends to hunts point (6).

Then Bx55 extends to manhattan 135th sta via Bx33 routing the stronger line afterwards in BX33 VS BX55 gains more service at the other's expense. Or Bx55 to riverside state park to reduce wait times for crosstown ppl who dont wanna wait for the bx19.

Bx30 rerouted to stay on boston rd till fordham extends to fordham plaza walk to (D) ppl kay. W60/61 no longer allowed to carry local passengers in the bronx. links to subway still there still to (D).

SMH. My computer froze up and I have to retype this whole thing. :angry: I swear, I've got to type this stuff up in my email and save it or something, because this is ridiculous.

I remember Jashawn R. talking about how he hates taking the IRT and tries to make his way down to the (D). I wonder how many people in Wakefield do that.

In any case, if a lot of them are taking the Bx16, I think it should be straightened out a bit more, especially if it's going to take over part of the Bx34's function. I mean, the route would have to go from 233rd to Nereid, back down to 233rd Street, back up Katonah to 240th Street, and then finally come back down.

I think the route should just go straight across 233rd Street until it hits Katonah Avenue, and then take your route. The area by Nereid Avenue can be covered by the Bx31 (by taking Schieffelin Avenue to Baychester Avenue and then going up Baychester to Nereid and then going down Webster Avenue to the Woodlawn Metro-North station.

The area along the eastern end of Nereid Avenue could be covered by the Bx39. Buses could take 241st Street to Baychester Avenue, and then take Nereid Avenue and terminate the same way the Bx16 did when it had some buses terminate at Mundy Lane.

On a side note, how did it work with the buses terminating? Did half go to Mundy Lane and half went to Ropes Avenue? (In which case, the eastern part of the Bx16 got double the service), or was it more like a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio? (3 buses to Ropes Avenue, 1 bus to Mundy Lane). I can't imagine the Ropes Avenue branch got less service than the Mundy Lane branch.

lol... Very funny... That bus shelter is not where the express buses stop at. The local buses stop there. I know the bus stop is there, but where the actual express buses stop at isn't by the shelter. Oh and this 5 block nonsense... Stop looking at the bloody map... It's 3 1/2 short blocks based on where the express buses stop.

It's possible that they could be waiting for the express bus. They could arrive say, 5-10 minutes before the express bus, sit down for a few minutes, and then 2-3 minutes before the express bus comes, they could moze on down to the express bus stop. That's what my grandmother would do to avoid standing too much (and she'd get some shade too).

And you were insisting before it was 2 blocks. There's a difference between 2 blocks and 3 & 1/2 blocks. That's almost twice the distance.

And aside from that, 3 & 1/2 blocks seems to be the average spacing between express stops anyway. I know in my area, express buses are spaced 3-4 blocks apart, and even in your (former) area, the distance between say, Clove Road and Manor Road was about 3-4 blocks. And the same for between Richmond Avenue & Willow Road East, and a bunch of other stops. Yeah, there are some that are spaced further apart, but let's not act like the distance is so close.

And when I look at the blocks, I look at how long it takes, and just say 1 block = 1 minute. For instance, the block I'm on is a long block (like 1/4 of a mile), so it would be misleading to say "Oh, from one end of the street to the other is only a block". When I type it into Google Transit, it says it takes 5 minutes to walk, and 5 normal blocks sounds about right.

side note: nice find....

chick on the other side of the glass (by the fence) can get it.....

LOL. Thanks.

And why should the Bx34 be eliminated when it gets good usage??

dude you know better arogance and defending weak lines without logic ain't right. Not everyting is about express buses however I admit express use is highest in SI& THE BRONX!!! Plus most are quite well used and have good routings in the bronx Unlike queens and brooklyn there are NO express lines in the bronx that need open door semi to boost ridership. Cause unlike brooklyn you don't see buses to manhattan with only 3 ppl on it except maybe BXM4 can't say anything on the Bxm6 not familiar with it. All have proper routings. However spoiler:X10 will let ppl off at fingerboard en rte to manhattan but knowing you via8 you probably knew that.

via 8 we get it ur rich now just stop being selfish about woodlawn and riverdale again if Bx16 can completely absorb bx34's route why should bx34 remain?? nuff said.

On a side note, how did it work with the buses terminating?

Did half go to Mundy Lane and half went to Ropes Avenue? (In which case, the eastern part of the Bx16 got double the service), or was it more like a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio? (3 buses to Ropes Avenue, 1 bus to Mundy Lane). I can't imagine the Ropes Avenue branch got less service than the Mundy Lane branch.

Before the combination, it was every other bus...

While we're at it I'd like to put out the idea of weekday limited-stop service on the Bx3; as it stands right now that route has very low headways (6-9 min Monday through Saturday from 7-7:30AM until after 8PM), gets quite crowded middays, and the buses become sardine cans during rush. Furthermore, from what I've seen most of the heavy passenger turnover takes place at certain major stops south of Kingsbridge Rd, and then buses tend to run with 15-20 people on them along Sedgwick Av and 238 St.

I'd run the LTD service from 179 St/ Broadway (GWB Bus Terminal) to the 242 St (1) station 6AM-9PM weekdays and 8AM-7PM on Saturdays, making all current Bx3 stops until Kingsbridge Rd, and then:

University Av/Kingsbridge Rd

University Av/Fordham Rd

University Av/Bronx Community College

University Av/Burnside Av

University Av/Tremont Av

University Av/174 St

Amsterdam Av/181 St

179 St/Broadway (SB Terminal)

178 St/Broadway (at the M5 NB terminal, NB first stop)

Local buses would short-turn at the Kingsbridge VA Hospital while the limited-stop buses are running, and headways would be boosted to 4-5 minutes (3-4 minutes during rush hour) so that two buses (one local, one limited) would be coming every 8-10 minutes (6-7 minutes during rush).

I drew both service patterns on Google maps below; the blue line is the limited-stop bus and the red is the local. I deliberately sent the limited-stop bus down Amsterdam /179/Ft Washington Av/178 St to keep it out of the heavy traffic on 181 St.

http://maps.google.com/maps/myplaces?vpsrc=1&ctz=240&abauth=4fe2acc9if93RcVezfqb5eihXgCuIw6UDdQ&vps=1&ei=yaziT6OrCoTZ8QbSmtWfDQ&num=10

It's possible that they could be waiting for the express bus. They could arrive say, 5-10 minutes before the express bus, sit down for a few minutes, and then 2-3 minutes before the express bus comes, they could moze on down to the express bus stop. That's what my grandmother would do to avoid standing too much (and she'd get some shade too).

Anything is possible, but I doubt it. Separation of space between local bus riders and express bus riders is relatively the same.

And you were insisting before it was 2 blocks. There's a difference between 2 blocks and 3 & 1/2 blocks. That's almost twice the distance.

And aside from that, 3 & 1/2 blocks seems to be the average spacing between express stops anyway. I know in my area, express buses are spaced 3-4 blocks apart, and even in your (former) area, the distance between say, Clove Road and Manor Road was about 3-4 blocks. And the same for between Richmond Avenue & Willow Road East, and a bunch of other stops. Yeah, there are some that are spaced further apart, but let's not act like the distance is so close.

And when I look at the blocks, I look at how long it takes, and just say 1 block = 1 minute. For instance, the block I'm on is a long block (like 1/4 of a mile), so it would be misleading to say "Oh, from one end of the street to the other is only a block". When I type it into Google Transit, it says it takes 5 minutes to walk, and 5 normal blocks sounds about right.

It's one friggin' stop and they are short blocks. Not the end of the world. If it was up a hill or something then I could understand, but it is totally flat. The light there takes forever to change as opposed to the one at Tibbett, so it would make sense to combine the stops since both are lightly used. In addition to that it would help keep buses on schedule.

While we're at it I'd like to put out the idea of weekday limited-stop service on the Bx3; as it stands right now that route has very low headways (6-9 min Monday through Saturday from 7-7:30AM until after 8PM), gets quite crowded middays, and the buses become sardine cans during rush. Furthermore, from what I've seen most of the heavy passenger turnover takes place at certain major stops south of Kingsbridge Rd, and then buses tend to run with 15-20 people on them along Sedgwick Av and 238 St.

I'd run the LTD service from 179 St/ Broadway (GWB Bus Terminal) to the 242 St (1) station 6AM-9PM weekdays and 8AM-7PM on Saturdays, making all current Bx3 stops until Kingsbridge Rd, and then:

University Av/Kingsbridge Rd

University Av/Fordham Rd

University Av/Bronx Community College

University Av/Burnside Av

University Av/Tremont Av

University Av/174 St

Amsterdam Av/181 St

179 St/Broadway (SB Terminal)

178 St/Broadway (at the M5 NB terminal, NB first stop)

Local buses would short-turn at the Kingsbridge VA Hospital while the limited-stop buses are running, and headways would be boosted to 4-5 minutes (3-4 minutes during rush hour) so that two buses (one local, one limited) would be coming every 8-10 minutes (6-7 minutes during rush).

I drew both service patterns on Google maps below; the blue line is the limited-stop bus and the red is the local. I deliberately sent the limited-stop bus down Amsterdam /179/Ft Washington Av/178 St to keep it out of the heavy traffic on 181 St.

http://maps.google.c...bSmtWfDQ&num=10

As much as a Bx3 limited sounds good on paper, it won't work in practice since some of the local stops (like 183rd St/Univ Av and 176th St) get good ridership.

It's one friggin' stop and they are short blocks. Not the end of the world. If it was up a hill or something then I could understand, but it is totally flat. The light there takes forever to change as opposed to the one at Tibbett, so it would make sense to combine the stops since both are lightly used. In addition to that it would help keep buses on schedule.

But combining them is a different story than just outright eliminating the stop. In that case, I guess you could have the stop on the far side of Corlear Avenue near the U-Haul place or something.

If it's just a matter of combining them, then I don't really have an opinion on the matter.

As much as a Bx3 limited sounds good on paper, it won't work in practice since some of the local stops (like 183rd St/Univ Av and 176th St) get good ridership.

What should be considered instead are short-turns that do not run up Sedgwick and end at University and Kingsbridge (I don't see an earlier place south of there to turn buses around); buses would use the Bx32 relay.

@Via Garibaldi 8 - a for eliminating the Bx34 and combining it with the Bx16 (whose resulting route would be still only 1 hour long), I admit that money is the motive there---because there, if it were up to me, the deadhead would be changed to being from the Pelham end instead of the Norwood or Fordham end that is currently used for Bx16 and Bx34 run-ons and run-offs; deadheads would be via the New England Thruway. (This differs from my prior proposal to reassign it to Kingsbridge.)

What should be considered instead are short-turns that do not run up Sedgwick and end at University and Kingsbridge (I don't see an earlier place south of there to turn buses around); buses would use the Bx32 relay.

@Via Garibaldi 8 - a for eliminating the Bx34 and combining it with the Bx16 (whose resulting route would be still only 1 hour long), I admit that money is the motive there---because there, if it were up to me, the deadhead would be changed to being from the Pelham end instead of the Norwood or Fordham end that is currently used for Bx16 and Bx34 run-ons and run-offs; deadheads would be via the New England Thruway. (This differs from my prior proposal to reassign it to Kingsbridge.)

I think the main issue could be reliability...

I think the main issue could be reliability...

Vis a vis reliability, that shouldn't be too bad an issue; the Bx16 doesn't really have too many places where a driver could lose time, except in Fordham...and not every trip needs to run to Fordham; certain trips could run Norwood to Pelham only, or Norwood to Woodlawn only in the rush, and then deadheading back to Norwood.

The current Bx16 route is 49 minutes at its worst; the extended route would still make it only about 55 minutes Norwood to Pelham and about 70 minutes in all over the full distance. Fewer buses would be needed.

Edited by aemoreira81

I agree with both. As for the Bx16/34 combo, don't underestimate its usage in Fordham as riders use it to reach Montefiore Hospital and some of the clinics in Norwood and Bedford Park, while avoiding the unreliable (D) in the process. While the core of the Bx34's usage is betweeen Woodlawn (4) station and the Woodlawn neighborhood during rush hours, that changes during the midday hours to the Montefiore-Fordham segment.

I agree with both. As for the Bx16/34 combo, don't underestimate its usage in Fordham as riders use it to reach Montefiore Hospital and some of the clinics in Norwood and Bedford Park, while avoiding the unreliable (D) in the process. While the core of the Bx34's usage is betweeen Woodlawn (4) station and the Woodlawn neighborhood during rush hours, that changes during the midday hours to the Montefiore-Fordham segment.

Makes sense... I know personally because I work with some of the Medical Centers and they do have a lot of folks using public transportation to get there.

Vis a vis reliability, that shouldn't be too bad an issue; the Bx16 doesn't really have too many places where a driver could lose time, except in Fordham...and not every trip needs to run to Fordham; certain trips could run Norwood to Pelham only, or Norwood to Woodlawn only in the rush, and then deadheading back to Norwood.

The current Bx16 route is 49 minutes at its worst; the extended route would still make it only about 55 minutes Norwood to Pelham and about 70 minutes in all over the full distance. Fewer buses would be needed.

Did you check out my route? It might save some runtime (and make the route a little more reliable) by making the route a little more direct.

- I remember having a exchange/discussion w/ Cotb regarding the Bx16/31 in here.....

here it is: http://www.nyctransi...12/#entry526593 (just look for the colored text)....

It's basically saying I would split the 16 into 2 branches; one goin straight down 233rd & the other running through woodlawn (the neighborhood) via nereid.....

Headways I haven't figured out yet....

- as far as a Bx3 LTD, nah.... for the reason Cotb said, and I wouldn't want to create a situation where too many buses are bunching on that route during the day.... Even I was surprised at how spread out ridership is on that route from end-to-end.....

side note: the bx3's turnaround scenario over by 238th trips me out every time...

Edited by B35 via Church

- I remember having a exchange/discussion w/ Cotb regarding the Bx16/31 in here.....

here it is: http://www.nyctransi...12/#entry526593 (just look for the colored text)....

It's basically saying I would split the 16 into 2 branches; one goin straight down 233rd & the other running through woodlawn (the neighborhood) via nereid.....

Headways I haven't figured out yet....

- as far as a Bx3 LTD, nah.... for the reason Cotb said, and I wouldn't want to create a situation where too many buses are bunching on that route during the day.... Even I was surprised at how spread out ridership is on that route from end-to-end.....

side note: the bx3's turnaround scenario over by 238th trips me out every time...

The Bx3 ends up bunching a lot because of the traffic along its route (not just in Washington Heights, but there's traffic on University Avenue as well). While a Bx3 short-turn that runs between 238th/Bway and University/Cross Bronx Expwy (not touching Washington Heights) might sound good on paper, it could be a disaster since Washington Heights is the Bx3's biggest ridership generator.

Thanks to routes such as the Bx3, the Dominican community in the Bronx has really grown since the late 1970s.

The Bx3 ends up bunching a lot because of the traffic along its route (not just in Washington Heights, but there's traffic on University Avenue as well). While a Bx3 short-turn that runs between 238th/Bway and University/Cross Bronx Expwy (not touching Washington Heights) might sound good on paper, it could be a disaster since Washington Heights is the Bx3's biggest ridership generator.

Thanks to routes such as the Bx3, the Dominican community in the Bronx has really grown since the late 1970s.

Short turning Bx3's doesn't make sense at all to me.....

Short turning Bx3's doesn't make sense at all to me.....

It would allow for the core of the Bx3's service to focus on its busiest corridor, which is from Kingsbridge Road to Morris Heights. But like I said, it would create more harm than good.

It would allow for the core of the Bx3's service to focus on its busiest corridor, which is from Kingsbridge Road to Morris Heights. But like I said, it would create more harm than good.

I should have been more specific.....

I meant, it doesn't make sense at all to actually go ahead & implement.....

I actually think a Bx3 Limited would work with the above proposed stops.

The manhattan portion of the route (Grant/174-Bway/181) needs bus lanes honestly and some place to park off of 181. You have 5 buses using 1 lane of traffic in each direction, which is already a problem without the addition of traffic and the fire house by Amsterdam.

Elsewhere the problem isn't the fact that two buses left the GWB 6 minutes apart and got to Grant/174 at the same time (Southbound this happens at Fordham). Its the fact that because both buses were 6 minutes apart, they both look like rolling cans of sardines and have to make every stop. There aren't any transfers at 176 or 183, skipping them would speed up the rides of those going long distances and give people going shorter distances a better chance of getting on the bus. Some of the locals would have to run the full route though.

That or give the route Artics with the current headways. It makes no sense that none of the rush hour runs use them, apart from that horrible turnaround at 238 St (and they can make it).

As for the Bxm1 stop at West 230 St & Broadway, its okay to eliminate/combine this stop but 220 St gets to stay?

I actually see more people using Bway/230 than Corlear and putting the stop at KB avenue, makes those using the routes who live east have to walk further and more likely to miss their bus. Fixing the light sequence is simpler. With 220, no one's using it point blank. Not to get to Allen Pavillion, Baker Field, KB bus depot, or that car wash. Theres pretty much nothing else of use nearby. The people I know that live in the back of Inwood would always use 207 St and walk up Seaman. They have 215 St on the 1 right there and the fact that it has the lowest ridership out of all 1 stations kind of tells me the inhabitants aren't that pressed for express bus service. If you want to keep buses on schedule take that stop out. If anything I've been wondering why 225 St wasn't made a stop on the Bxm1 for the connection to Metro North/River Plaza.

My suggestions

Bx7 via HH Pkwy (rush hour short runs (246-207))

Bx10 (Riverdale Av-231-Bailey-VCW-Sedgwick-Goulden-BPB-Jerome-Gun Hill-Bainbridge)

Bx13 extended to 149-GC via River Av

Bx37 Mosholu Av/Bway-256 St-HH Pkwy-Kappock-Johnson-231-KB-230-Bway-225-Bailey-Sedgwick-Fordham (cans the Bx20, alleviates the Bx9 of riders going between Marble Hill and Fordham)

As for the Bxm1 stop at West 230 St & Broadway, its okay to eliminate/combine this stop but 220 St gets to stay?

My suggestions

Bx7 via HH Pkwy (rush hour short runs (246-207))

Bx10 (Riverdale Av-231-Bailey-VCW-Sedgwick-Goulden-BPB-Jerome-Gun Hill-Bainbridge)

Bx13 extended to 149-GC via River Av

Bx37 Mosholu Av/Bway-256 St-HH Pkwy-Kappock-Johnson-231-KB-230-Bway-225-Bailey-Sedgwick-Fordham (cans the Bx20, alleviates the Bx9 of riders going between Marble Hill and Fordham)

I wouldn't take that proposal too seriously, considering his primary motive was because the stop was in Kingsbridge (which he doesn't like) and "they have the (1) and Metro-North right there." (even if it doesn't help them reach their destination quicker and Metro-North is 5 blocks away anyway).

As for your suggestions, the Bx7 is already replacing the Bx20 (by connecting Spuyten Duyvil to Inwood), so the Bx37 doesn't do anything for that. Aside from that, I don't think there's too much of a need to connect the western part and eastern part of Riverdale (via Mosholu Avenue). So as far as alleviating the crowds on the Bx9 goes, I think you'd just be better off adding some Bx9 service (If, indeed, buses are crowded)

As far as switching the Bx7/Bx10 goes, I'm not sure if it's a good idea. The Bx7 goes to Manhattan, so I think it's more important that it take the shorter route, since it's less delay-prone.

I actually see more people using Bway/230 than Corlear and putting the stop at KB avenue, makes those using the routes who live east have to walk further and more likely to miss their bus. Fixing the light sequence is simpler. With 220, no one's using it point blank. Not to get to Allen Pavillion, Baker Field, KB bus depot, or that car wash. Theres pretty much nothing else of use nearby. The people I know that live in the back of Inwood would always use 207 St and walk up Seaman. They have 215 St on the 1 right there and the fact that it has the lowest ridership out of all 1 stations kind of tells me the inhabitants aren't that pressed for express bus service. If you want to keep buses on schedule take that stop out. If anything I've been wondering why 225 St wasn't made a stop on the Bxm1 for the connection to Metro North/River Plaza.

That stop doesn't get much usage but it may be for the hospital there. However, if it were up to me the BxM1 wouldn't serve Inwood at all. The (MTA) cut back BxM1s to Inwood and rightfully so. If they really need East Side access they could simply take the (1) train to MetroNorth. Having to stop in Inwood especially during rush hours for the few folks that get on is ridiculous when the bus is full of Riverdale/Spuyten Duyvil residents who have much longer commutes, especially those in Northern Riverdale.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8