Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

I actually think a Bx3 Limited would work with the above proposed stops.

The manhattan portion of the route (Grant/174-Bway/181) needs bus lanes honestly and some place to park off of 181. You have 5 buses using 1 lane of traffic in each direction, which is already a problem without the addition of traffic and the fire house by Amsterdam.

Elsewhere the problem isn't the fact that two buses left the GWB 6 minutes apart and got to Grant/174 at the same time (Southbound this happens at Fordham). Its the fact that because both buses were 6 minutes apart, they both look like rolling cans of sardines and have to make every stop. There aren't any transfers at 176 or 183, skipping them would speed up the rides of those going long distances and give people going shorter distances a better chance of getting on the bus. Some of the locals would have to run the full route though.

That or give the route Artics with the current headways. It makes no sense that none of the rush hour runs use them, apart from that horrible turnaround at 238 St (and they can make it).

As for the Bxm1 stop at West 230 St & Broadway, its okay to eliminate/combine this stop but 220 St gets to stay?

I actually see more people using Bway/230 than Corlear and putting the stop at KB avenue, makes those using the routes who live east have to walk further and more likely to miss their bus. Fixing the light sequence is simpler. With 220, no one's using it point blank. Not to get to Allen Pavillion, Baker Field, KB bus depot, or that car wash. Theres pretty much nothing else of use nearby. The people I know that live in the back of Inwood would always use 207 St and walk up Seaman. They have 215 St on the 1 right there and the fact that it has the lowest ridership out of all 1 stations kind of tells me the inhabitants aren't that pressed for express bus service. If you want to keep buses on schedule take that stop out. If anything I've been wondering why 225 St wasn't made a stop on the Bxm1 for the connection to Metro North/River Plaza.

My suggestions

Bx7 via HH Pkwy (rush hour short runs (246-207))

Bx10 (Riverdale Av-231-Bailey-VCW-Sedgwick-Goulden-BPB-Jerome-Gun Hill-Bainbridge)

Bx13 extended to 149-GC via River Av

Bx37 Mosholu Av/Bway-256 St-HH Pkwy-Kappock-Johnson-231-KB-230-Bway-225-Bailey-Sedgwick-Fordham (cans the Bx20, alleviates the Bx9 of riders going between Marble Hill and Fordham)

It would be nice to see ether the Bx7 or Bx10 to head to Getty Square. Even tho, there is the W8.

For the Bx13 to 149th, then you would need to eliminate the Bx13 Rush hour service in and out of 3rd Avenue/163rd, unless thats ok to leave.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since i been 'quiet" on this boro I offer these suggestions on the manhattan express bus serving the Bronx and parts of City of Yonkers

1)BXM1-expand service until 2am (last bus leaving Manhattan) Monday Night(Tuesday AM)-Saturday Night (Sunday AM).

2)BXM3-End earlier Manhattan-bound express weekend service with last bus leaving Getty Sq. at 9pm Saturdays and 8pm Sundays. Last buses for Yonkers-bound service leaving manhattan remains the same.

3)Extend BXM4 to Yonkers Raceway via McClean and central Aves. Restores direct 1-seat weekend Manhattan express bus service to/from East Side of Yonkers. Also relives overcrowding on the BL-20/21 as well.

4)End Weekend BXM6 service. BXM10 re-routed weekend only to serve Parkchester.

5)BXM7 expands to run 22 hours a day with last bus leaving Mid Manhattan at 2am Monday(Tuesday Morning-Saturday night(early Sunday AM) and last bus leaving Coop City 1am. Sunday service remains the same. The BXM7 is the 2nd busiest NYC express bus routes and thus increase the hours to match the busiest the X1.

6)BXM8 weekend service ends earlier. Last bus leaving Pelham Bay bus Saturdays 8pm and Manhattan at 9pm. On Sundays last bus from Pelham Bay at 7pm and 23rd/Madison at 8pm. Last few BXM7's serves as replacements along the bruckner late evenings weekends.

7)BXM9 sunday service leaves Throgs neck ends earlier at 8pm. Bronx-bound service remains the same.

I am suggesting the changes for BXM3, BXM6 and BXM9 for slight reductions since those trips often has zero ridership on those last trips on weekends. And increasing service on growing routes the BXM1 and BXM7.

Reactions?

Since i been 'quiet" on this boro I offer these suggestions on the manhattan express bus serving the Bronx and parts of City of Yonkers

1)BXM1-expand service until 2am (last bus leaving Manhattan) Monday Night(Tuesday AM)-Saturday Night (Sunday AM).

2)BXM3-End earlier Manhattan-bound express weekend service with last bus leaving Getty Sq. at 9pm Saturdays and 8pm Sundays. Last buses for Yonkers-bound service leaving manhattan remains the same.

3)Extend BXM4 to Yonkers Raceway via McClean and central Aves. Restores direct 1-seat weekend Manhattan express bus service to/from East Side of Yonkers. Also relives overcrowding on the BL-20/21 as well.

5)BXM7 expands to run 22 hours a day with last bus leaving Mid Manhattan at 2am Monday(Tuesday Morning-Saturday night(early Sunday AM) and last bus leaving Coop City 1am. Sunday service remains the same. The BXM7 is the 2nd busiest NYC express bus routes and thus increase the hours to match the busiest the X1.

6)BXM8 weekend service ends earlier. Last bus leaving Pelham Bay bus Saturdays 8pm and Manhattan at 9pm. On Sundays last bus from Pelham Bay at 7pm and 23rd/Madison at 8pm. Last few BXM7's serves as replacements along the bruckner late evenings weekends.

7)BXM9 sunday service leaves Throgs neck ends earlier at 8pm. Bronx-bound service remains the same.

I am suggesting the changes for BXM3, BXM6 and BXM9 for slight reductions since those trips often has zero ridership on those last trips on weekends. And increasing service on growing routes the BXM1 and BXM7.

Reactions?

I disagree with just about all of these suggestions. I would not increase service on the BxM1 because ridership dipped slightly, but I believe that it will pick up, seeing that the other two Riverdale express buses saw increases in ridership. However, the current service levels on the BxM1 are fine. The BxM2 gets better usage later at night and also is used by a younger crowd at night (both to and from Riverdale), not to mention the attractions (MoMA, Lincoln Center, Museum of Natural History, Central Park, 34th street shopping, Madison Ave/Upper East Side, Upper West Side shopping, Times Square, and list goes on and on), hence why it runs later, as 6th Avenue is more centralized if you may than 3rd Avenue.

The BxM1 tends to be more of an older crowd and 3rd Avenue can be dead after say Murray Hill and thus the later runs usually aren't as crowded. In fact an extra run in the morning was added on the BxM1, so now the first bus to Riverdale is 06:45 in the morning, which I think is pretty fair. I myself have used some of the early buses to Riverdale on both the BxM1 and BxM2 and while they are lightly used, they are needed because many of the folks using them are nurses and such coming to Riverdale to tend to patients. What I would like to see is one more later BxM18 to Downtown in the morning and perhaps a later BxM2 to Riverdale during the week since we have the 01:15 BxM2 Saturday nights to Riverdale. I would run the BxM2 until about 01:30 during the week, with the last bus being spaced one hour from the 00:30 bus this way there wouldn't be any wasted service. I sometimes catch the last BxM18 of the morning and it is pretty crowded, with about 50 - 60% of the riders getting off in Midtown and the rest getting off here and there Downtown. The morning buses are mainly Riverdale riders, so for anyone who says that it shouldn't be for Riverdale, think again. Ridership on the BxM18 increased slightly and is well used overall.

I would leave the BxM3 as is. They've pretty much cut just about everything that they can and since it serves Broadway in Riverdale, without it, it would be an even longer schlepp to get to Midtown and even longer to get to Downtown for those who transfer to the subway or whatever after 23rd street.

BxM7 service could be expanded since there is no MetroNorth and the folks do use the BxM7 very well in Co-op City.

The BxM8 service I would leave as is. With all of the disruptions along the (6) line and Lexington Avenue line in general getting from Pelham Bay would be a real schlepp without the BxM8.

I would also leave the BxM9 as is. Anyone who lives in Throggs Neck knows what a schlepp it is to get from there to the city due to the limited amount of transportation options in the area. The line is well used overall and the BxM9 is the lifeline of the neighborhood.

The BxM4 isn't a bad idea. That line needs some help IMO and it is mainly used in Woodlawn from what I see since some of the other neighborhoods that it goes through simply can't afford the fare. However, I believe that the line may see usage down the line as some areas of the Bronx sllloooowwwlllllyyyyy gentrify... :D

Oh and I almost forgot about the BxM6.... You know that line seems to be extremely unreliable and considering that it seems to come whenever it wants, it still gets good usage, so don't be so quick to call for weekend service to be cut. For one, the BxM6 serves a lot of large apartment complexes in Parkchester, and I would imagine that they would go crazy if the little amount of service that they have was cut. Quite frankly, I can't understand why the line is so unreliable considering that Eastchester seems to be pretty decent with running buses on time.

Oh, FYI, some of the lines that you propose cutting weekend service on are actually growing (i.e. BxM9). You propose ending BxM6 weekend service, but at the same time, BxM10 weekend ridership is up, so you may have to add more BxM10s anyway, so you might as well keep it the way that it is. BxM6 weekend ridership is not that terrible.

http://www.mta.info/...MTA_weekend.htm

http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_busMTA.htm

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Here we go again. VG8 with his agenda lol. Here are my replies.

I disagree with just about all of these suggestions. I would not increase service on the BxM1 because ridership dipped slightly, but I believe that it will pick up, seeing that the other two Riverdale express buses saw increases in ridership. However, the current service levels on the BxM1 are fine. The BxM2 gets better usage later at night and also is used by a younger crowd at night (both to and from Riverdale), not to mention the attractions (MoMA, Lincoln Center, Museum of Natural History, Central Park, 34th street shopping, Madison Ave/Upper East Side, Upper West Side shopping, Times Square, and list goes on and on), hence why it runs later, as 6th Avenue is more centralized if you may than 3rd Avenue.

Reply. I gave to you and agreed that with the Riverdale population increasing (also caused the endless GO's on the (1)train)that the BXM2 should run 7 days a week. Up until 4-5 years ago(long before you moved up there) BXM2 Sunday ridership was very low and thus until recently, I suggested that. Still I suggeted running the BXM1 1 more hour Bronx bound until 2am 6 nights a week. I am surprised at you VG8.

The BxM1 tends to be more of an older crowd and 3rd Avenue can be dead after say Murray Hill and thus the later runs usually aren't as crowded. In fact an extra run in the morning was added on the BxM1, so now the first bus to Riverdale is 06:45 in the morning, which I think is pretty fair. I myself have used some of the early buses to Riverdale on both the BxM1 and BxM2 and while they are lightly used, they are needed because many of the folks using them are nurses and such coming to Riverdale to tend to patients. What I would like to see is one more later BxM18 to Downtown in the morning and perhaps a later BxM2 to Riverdale during the week since we have the 01:15 BxM2 Saturday nights to Riverdale. I would run the BxM2 until about 01:30 during the week, with the last bus being spaced one hour from the 00:30 bus this way there wouldn't be any wasted service. I sometimes catch the last BxM18 of the morning and it is pretty crowded, with about 50 - 60% of the riders getting off in Midtown and the rest getting off here and there Downtown. The morning buses are mainly Riverdale riders, so for anyone who says that it shouldn't be for Riverdale, think again. Ridership on the BxM18 increased slightly and is well used overall.

I would leave the BxM3 as is. They've pretty much cut just about everything that they can and since it serves Broadway in Riverdale, without it, it would be an even longer schlepp to get to Midtown and even longer to get to Downtown for those who transfer to the subway or whatever after 23rd street.

Reply. I just used the BXM3 on a busfanning trip from Midtown-Yonkers(transfer at Getty Sq for MNRR Hudson line trip home)on a Sunday about 2 months ago in April. Both the 9pm and 10pm Manhattan bound buses traveling on the Degan had *zero riders.* Thus why i suggested thos minor cuts. It's only Sunday Night VG8. They still have Metro North and also the BXM 4 on Grand Councourse as alternatives. Also on Sunday Nights the X10 ends Manhattan bound service by 8-9pm so just following the pattern.

BxM7 service could be expanded since there is no MetroNorth and the folks do use the BxM7 very well in Co-op City.

Agreed. Ideally when the fiscal crisis is over the X1 and BXM7 both have 1-hour or 90 minute headways overnights.

For now the last bus leaving Manhattan Monday Night(Tues. Morning)-Sat. Night(Sunday Morning)should be extended to 2am.

The BxM8 service I would leave as is. With all of the disruptions along the (6) line and Lexington Avenue line in general getting from Pelham Bay would be a real schlepp without the BxM8.

I only called for cutting a couple of last Manhattan bound trips on Sundays to merged with the BXM7. Bruckner Blvd/Pelham Bay express bus riders are not losing service. Rest of BXM8 weekend schedule and all of the weekday schedule remains the same except the last couple of trips on Saturday/Sunday Nights.

I would also leave the BxM9 as is. Anyone who lives in Throggs Neck knows what a schlepp it is to get from there to the city due to the limited amount of transportation options in the area. The line is well used overall and the BxM9 is the lifeline of the neighborhood.

This is car central for the Bronx area. If you want to run Manhattan Bound BXM9 with often no riders on Sunday nights then maybe you pay for it VG8. Plus the Rest of BXM9 schedule remains the same including the last trips on Sunday evenings. Not to mention the BXM7/8 is not far on the Bruckner.

The BxM4 isn't a bad idea. That line needs some help IMO and it is mainly used in Woodlawn from what I see since some of the other neighborhoods that it goes through simply can't afford the fare. However, I believe that the line may see usage down the line as some areas of the Bronx sllloooowwwlllllyyyyy gentrify... :D

Oh and I almost forgot about the BxM6.... You know that line seems to be extremely unreliable and considering that it seems to come whenever it wants, it still gets good usage, so don't be so quick to call for weekend service to be cut. For one, the BxM6 serves a lot of large apartment complexes in Parkchester, and I would imagine that they would go crazy if the little amount of service that they have was cut. Quite frankly, I can't understand why the line is so unreliable considering that Eastchester seems to be pretty decent with running buses on time.

Again if you read carefully the BXM6 plan it would be merged with the BXM10 running to Eastchester on weekends. Plus instead of waiting for a bus every hour, they get a bus every 20 minutes during peak hours Saturday-Sundays and only every hour late evenings weekends. So this benefits Parkchester more. Plus prior to the (MTA) takeover on sundays, the BXM10 did serve Parkchester while the BXm6 did not run.

Oh, FYI, some of the lines that you propose cutting weekend service on are actually growing (i.e. BxM9). You propose ending BxM6 weekend service, but at the same time, BxM10 weekend ridership is up, so you may have to add more BxM10s anyway, so you might as well keep it the way that it is. BxM6 weekend ridership is not that terrible.

http://www.mta.info/...ship_busMTA.htm

And if you read my replies i told you this is minor cuts only on Sunday evenings i.e BXM3 and 9 with light ridership Midtown Bound. Also the cuts on weekend evenings BXM6 and BXM8 in which riders get more service with nearby routes the BXM7 and BXM 10. Plus BXM1 and BXM7 runs about a hour later on Monday-Saturday Nights. That where the ridership is.

Here we go again. VG8 with his agenda lol. Here are my replies.

And if you read my replies i told you this is minor cuts only on Sunday evenings i.e BXM3 and 9 with light ridership Midtown Bound. Also the cuts on weekend evenings BXM6 and BXM8 in which riders get more service with nearby routes the BXM7 and BXM 10. Plus BXM1 and BXM7 runs about a hour later on Monday-Saturday Nights. That where the ridership is.

I read them and I still disagree with them. The buses that you propose cutting will be making return trips back to the Bronx in service, so why have them deadhead to the city if they can serve folks that could use it?? This is the same thing happening with other express buses and it is ridiculous and impractical.

I also stated that weekend ridership on the BxM10 is INCREASING, so you would force the BxM6 riders to take the BxM10, which would probably mean more service would be needed on the BxM10, so there may not be that much savings anyway, not to mention that Parkchester and the Bronx overall is becoming more gentrified and is growing population wise.

If I really had an "agenda" I would've agreed with you on increasing service on the BxM1...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I would make the BxM11 stop at the Bronx Zoo by request

I think after 3pm weekdays and around 5pm weekends(correct me if i wrong)The BXM11 skips the Bronx Zoo stop Wakefield bound already.

And VG8. The BX12, and couple of bus line travel along Fordham/Pelham Pwy and Boston Rd anyhow to transfer to.

Friggin' computer froze up again. :angry: I swear, I have to remember to type these long posts in my email so I don't save to waste time retyping them.

Reactions?

BxM3/BxM8/BxM9: I don't think it's worth it. Those buses have to deadhead back to Manhattan anyway to make a second trip, so they might as well make stops along the way. Sure, the BxM8 & BxM9 would be able to get on the Bruckner quicker and the BxM3 would be able to get on the Major Deegan quicker (though theoretically, you could have the last couple of buses of the night bypass Sedgwick Avenue if you really want to cut costs, but I don't think it's worth it), but you're already paying most of the cost already since the major distance is between the 2 terminals, not the little detours to serve the residential neighborhoods.

BxM4: Agree. I think they have it going down the main roadway on the southern part of the Concourse, so it'll already be faster. If ridership isn't high enough, I think you could extend it up to Tuckahoe Road to get more ridership.

BxM6: Agree.

BxM7: Agree.

I disagree with just about all of these suggestions. I would not increase service on the BxM1 because ridership dipped slightly, but I believe that it will pick up, seeing that the other two Riverdale express buses saw increases in ridership.

It doesn't matter if ridership dipped slightly if it's not at the time he's talking about. For all you know, the ridership dip could be during the middle of the day, and ridership in the evening has increased.

I agree, but not because of those reasons. I agree because of the reason given in Post #205.

The BxM10 would be rerouted to serve their neighborhood. All they have to do is look out for a BxM10 sign instead of a BxM6 sign. Aside from that, they'd actually be getting more service, not less.

I also stated that weekend ridership on the BxM10 is INCREASING, so you would force the BxM6 riders to take the BxM10, which would probably mean more service would be needed on the BxM10, so there may not be that much savings anyway, not to mention that Parkchester and the Bronx overall is becoming more gentrified and is growing population wise.

Parkchester isn't changing. It's never been too bad and thus can't really "gentrify".

In any case, just because ridership is increasing doesn't mean more service is needed. If the buses are half-filled, then they can handle the increasing ridership without requiring extra service.

It's already like that.

here it is: http://www.nyctransi...12/#entry526593 (just look for the colored text)....

It's basically saying I would split the 16 into 2 branches; one goin straight down 233rd & the other running through woodlawn (the neighborhood) via nereid.....

Headways I haven't figured out yet....

Maybe the Bx34 (which would basically be the same as the Bx16 via Nereid) could just end at Mundy Lane. Then you could just keep the headways the same as they are currently (plus, add weekend service back on the Bx34, at the old frequencies of course). You might as well just keep the same pattern of Bx34 to Fordham and Bx16 to Norwood.

It doesn't matter if ridership dipped slightly if it's not at the time he's talking about. For all you know, the ridership dip could be during the middle of the day, and ridership in the evening has increased.

Uh I think I know seeing that I use the BxM1 DAILY at various times of the day. There is NO need to give more service until 02:00 when the late buses aren't even that crowded. Notice that hourly service comes on the BxM1 for 23:40 and 24:40 buses... Because they're generally lightly used in comparison to the BxM2. Plus the BxM1 gets a ton of service, so they try to cut back where possible. Here I am advocating against more service for my neighborhood and you're arguing against it? Seems like you're arguing just to argue. <_<

The BxM10 would be rerouted to serve their neighborhood. All they have to do is look out for a BxM10 sign instead of a BxM6 sign. Aside from that, they'd actually be getting more service, not less.

That's not the point. The point was that you may have to add more service on the BxM10 not only to accommodate the displaced BxM6 riders, but also to deal with the increase from the BxM10 riders on weekends, so it may not be that cost effective in the long run.

Parkchester isn't changing. It's never been too bad and thus can't really "gentrify".

Uh, Parkchester HAS changed from mainly white to mainly minorities so yeah it could "gentrify", which is what is happening (albeit slowly) with some neighborhoods in the Bronx.

In any case, just because ridership is increasing doesn't mean more service is needed. If the buses are half-filled, then they can handle the increasing ridership without requiring extra service.

That's debatable. Like I said, more could be needed.

Oh, FYI, some of the lines that you propose cutting weekend service on are actually growing (i.e. BxM9). You propose ending BxM6 weekend service, but at the same time, BxM10 weekend ridership is up, so you may have to add more BxM10s anyway, so you might as well keep it the way thait is. BxM6 weekend ridership is not that terrible.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_busMTA.htm

well I agree with everything except BXM4 comment its not that they can't afford the fare it's that this line is way too slow to even bother with the line is no faster than the (D)(4) why would you pay $5.50 to go down grand concourse when the subway is way faster? Heck to woodlawn metronorth is cheaper due to cityticket at $3.75 vs $5.50 and metronorth is WAY FASTER!! You want to increase ridership on the BXM4 CUT the stops nobody is using AKA concourse put the express back in this line and you will get a boost hit the bruckner and bronx river parkway to allerton then brainbridge you will put the express back in the line many woodlawn folk will love it. WEEEKEND service nothing you do will attract weekend use to Bxm4 CAN it it needs no weekend service. It is one of the worst performing BXM lines

1) Uh I think I know seeing that I use the BxM1 DAILY at various times of the day. There is NO need to give more service until 02:00 when the late buses aren't even that crowded. Notice that hourly service comes on the BxM1 for 23:40 and 24:40 buses... Because they're generally lightly used in comparison to the BxM2. Plus the BxM1 gets a ton of service, so they try to cut back where possible. Here I am advocating against more service for my neighborhood and you're arguing against it? Seems like you're arguing just to argue. <_<

2) That's not the point. The point was that you may have to add more service on the BxM10 not only to accommodate the displaced BxM6 riders, but also to deal with the increase from the BxM10 riders on weekends, so it may not be that cost effective in the long run.

3) Uh, Parkchester HAS changed from mainly white to mainly minorities so yeah it could "gentrify", which is what is happening (albeit slowly) with some neighborhoods in the Bronx.

1) I'm pointing out that one point: That ridership decreasing doesn't necessarily mean that service shouldn't be increased. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not arguing anything about the BxM1.

In any case, it would be a lot better if the Metro-North ran 24/7 until say, Croton, so Riverdale would still have a fast ride witout having to deal with the subway making all local stops and then having to transfer to a bus.

2) Alright. So when ridership increases to the point where it's more cost-efficient to run them as seperate services, you just do that.

3) So what? Just because it's mainly minorities doesn't mean it's a dangerous area or even that it's poor. The poverty rate in Parkchester is right around the citywide average, so it's more-or-less the average city neighborhood.

LOL at extending BXM4 to tuckahoe you would attract ZERO RIDERSHIP!!!! You forget that Metro-north has no equal. Good luck getting beeline to even allow it. BXM4 is a dead horse stop beating it. forget the damn concourse south bronx DOES NOT NEED EXPRESS buses period get that through your heads! BXM4 riders have abandoned it due to it being slow heck don't be surprised if there is a petition to kill the concourse stops WOODLAWN deserves real express bus service not some knock off trying to get ridership from stops ppl DO NOT USE. The failure of the BXM4A should have been an indication noone was interested in those concourse stops to begin with otherwise it would still be with us. The concourse is not a highway why pay $5.50 to get on a bus with no highway speed? The purpose of an express bus is to go EXPRESS via HIGHWAY to outlying areas not near subway. Not to be some closed door LTD that is slower than the train.

LOL at extending BXM4 to tuckahoe you would attract ZERO RIDERSHIP!!!! You forget that Metro-north has no equal. Good luck getting beeline to even allow it. BXM4 is a dead horse stop beating it. forget the damn concourse south bronx DOES NOT NEED EXPRESS buses period get that through your heads! BXM4 riders have abandoned it due to it being slow heck don't be surprised if there is a petition to kill the concourse stops WOODLAWN deserves real express bus service not some knock off trying to get ridership from stops ppl DO NOT USE. The failure of the BXM4A should have been an indication noone was interested in those concourse stops to begin with otherwise it would still be with us. The concourse is not a highway why pay $5.50 to get on a bus with no highway speed? The purpose of an express bus is to go EXPRESS via HIGHWAY to outlying areas not near subway. Not to be some closed door LTD that is slower than the train.

The BxM4C turns a profit even though Metro-North is cheaper and supposedly faster. Apparently those riders don't want to use Metro-North for whatever reason. Even at a $5.50 fare, it would probably have something like a 70% farebox recovery ratio, which is higher than most express routes already running.

The BxM4C turns a profit even though Metro-North is cheaper and supposedly faster. Apparently those riders don't want to use Metro-North for whatever reason. Even at a $5.50 fare, it would probably have something like a 70% farebox recovery ratio, which is higher than most express routes already running.

Checkmate not sure you been along Central Ave in Lower Westchester i.e Yonkers, Scardale and White Plains. Being fair if a resident lives near Central Ave it's could be as much as 3-4 miles from either the Hudson line i.e Yonkers-Getty Sq. or the Harlem line lower westchester stations. Not to mention many of the Lower Westchester MNRR stations have no or limited amount of parking during rush hours. The current Westchester County Exec (their version of a Boro President)want outright to kill the "4c." Only a strong pention saved weekday service. Keep in mind on why some riders use the Bee Line 4c.

The Bxm4A didn't work because there isn't much on W Gun Hill, The stop at Sedgwick & Dickenson isn't that far from the Bxm3 which has better service and lastly despite it saying it ended at Lehman College, it ended at 205 & Paul which is a dead area outside of school hours. Woodlawn riders kept the 4B alive but if you tried to take it off the concourse I doubt it'd get enough ridership (hence why those Super Express runs got canned).

Theres no real way to get an express route from Manhattan to Woodlawn without using the Concourse. You can't run the route through the W. Bronx because there's the Bxm3 (plus no need for service south of Fordham) and you can't run it through the East Bronx because it's going overlap the Bxm11 which people already complain about overlapping the 2 train. Webster and 3rd Avenue are the only other 2 major N-S thoroughfares and I'd doubt express service would fly over there. I don't know where you read that express buses are supposed to use the highway because a good portion of the QM routes don't E/B, the difference is that they aren't on the service road. Which IMO is the issue: running buses that are supposed to have shorter rides (i.e limiteds and expresses) on the service road is ineffective. If the cost per ride for the express bus was a bit more reasonable more riders on the Concourse would use it but thats another discussion

Re: The Bx13 you can still have some runs go to 161/3rd but really they should just add more Bx6 service.

I suggested switching the Bx7 and Bx10 because the latter's winding route causes most of its delays and it needs to be streamlined

VG8: Cutting 220 St is one thing, cutting the Inwood service altogether... I don't think so. While it may still be in Manhattan there's no direct service to the East Side. And telling someone to take the (1) uptown to get Metro North to go downtown wouldn't help them if they needed to go between 125-42. Thats 2 fares and Metro north ticket as opposed one express bus which pass through the neighborhood anyway.

The Bxm4A didn't work because there isn't much on W Gun Hill, The stop at Sedgwick & Dickenson isn't that far from the Bxm3 which has better service and lastly despite it saying it ended at Lehman College, it ended at 205 & Paul which is a dead area outside of school hours. Woodlawn riders kept the 4B alive but if you tried to take it off the concourse I doubt it'd get enough ridership (hence why those Super Express runs got canned).

Theres no real way to get an express route from Manhattan to Woodlawn without using the Concourse. You can't run the route through the W. Bronx because there's the Bxm3 (plus no need for service south of Fordham) and you can't run it through the East Bronx because it's going overlap the Bxm11 which people already complain about overlapping the 2 train. Webster and 3rd Avenue are the only other 2 major N-S thoroughfares and I'd doubt express service would fly over there. I don't know where you read that express buses are supposed to use the highway because a good portion of the QM routes don't E/B, the difference is that they aren't on the service road. Which IMO is the issue: running buses that are supposed to have shorter rides (i.e limiteds and expresses) on the service road is ineffective. If the cost per ride for the express bus was a bit more reasonable more riders on the Concourse would use it but thats another discussion

Re: The Bx13 you can still have some runs go to 161/3rd but really they should just add more Bx6 service.

I suggested switching the Bx7 and Bx10 because the latter's winding route causes most of its delays and it needs to be streamlined

VG8: Cutting 220 St is one thing, cutting the Inwood service altogether... I don't think so. While it may still be in Manhattan there's no direct service to the East Side. And telling someone to take the (1) uptown to get Metro North to go downtown wouldn't help them if they needed to go between 125-42. Thats 2 fares and Metro north ticket as opposed one express bus which pass through the neighborhood anyway.

I guess VG8 does not want the "riff-raff" from Inwood to board his buses lol. I let him explain further.

BxM18 - Should be extended to Getty Square Yonkers via Riverdale Avenue. Just like the BxM3 runs through Broadway past the border, the BxM18 will run through Riverdale Avenue through the border. May get a few extra riders keeping those deadheads in service.

Bx5 - White Plains Road service runs overnight at 40 minute headways.

Bx5A - new bus running completely on Bruckner Boulevard, restores some service lost in 1999 on part of Bruckner (between White Plains Road and Castle Hill Avenue), gives other areas of Bruckner Boulevard bus service for the first time (or the first time in many years if Bruckner ever had a bus service between Bronx River Avenue and White Plains Road).

Bx36 - Cut back to Grant 174th Street, replaced by Bx36 LTD in Manhattan rush hours and middays, normal other times.

Bx36 LTD - Service expanded to middays, rush hours, and early evenings. Replaces Bx36 in Washington Heights.

Bx39 - Late night service north of Gun Hill Road replaced by Bx41, new late night service begins south of Pelham Parkway running 50 minute headways.

Bx41 - Late night service extended to 241 St

Edited by GreatOne2k

Checkmate not sure you been along Central Ave in Lower Westchester i.e Yonkers, Scardale and White Plains. Being fair if a resident lives near Central Ave it's could be as much as 3-4 miles from either the Hudson line i.e Yonkers-Getty Sq. or the Harlem line lower westchester stations. Not to mention many of the Lower Westchester MNRR stations have no or limited amount of parking during rush hours. The current Westchester County Exec (their version of a Boro President)want outright to kill the "4c." Only a strong pention saved weekday service. Keep in mind on why some riders use the Bee Line 4c.

I never said anything about the BxM4C being close to the Hudson Line. In any case, I really don't care why they're using it. If it's used, it's used.

In any case, I doubt they would completely get rid of it considering the fact that it makes a profit.

Like I said, if the only issue was serving Woodlawn, then I'd recommend the BxM11 somehow serve the area: Either through a branch or an extension straight from 241st Street. But since ShortLine brought up the BxM4C and I remembered Amtrak7 showing us the ridership, I figured that it would probably be better to send it up through the Concourse (Plus, there might be a little ridership in the Bedford Park/Norwood area)

BxM18 - should be extended to Getty Square Yonkers via Riverdale Avenue. Just like the BxM3 runs through Broadway past the border, the BxM18 will run through Riverdale Avenue through the border. May get a few extra riders keeping those deadheads in service.

The only thing is that, if you take passengers off Metro-North, the MTA isn't really getting any additional revenue. But otherwise, yeah I could agree with that.

Bx39 - Late night service north of Gun Hill Road replaced by Bx41, new late night service begins south of Pelham Parkway running 50 minute headways.

Bx41 - Late night service extended to 241 St

Agree.

It's already like that.

Negative..... The Bronx Zoo stop is the first stop in the Bronx on a BxM11 (of the buses that serve it).....

Although not every bus is scheduled to serve the stop, you can't get off there by request on the buses that don't....

Still though, I don't agree with Q23's suggestion to make the Bronx Zoo stop request only.....

People use that stop to avoid crossing Pelham Pkwy itself, to get to areas south of pelham pkwy.....

Maybe the Bx34 (which would basically be the same as the Bx16 via Nereid) could just end at Mundy Lane. Then you could just keep the headways the same as they are currently (plus, add weekend service back on the Bx34, at the old frequencies of course). You might as well just keep the same pattern of Bx34 to Fordham and Bx16 to Norwood.

To be honest, I wouldn't create a situation where Mundy lane would end up being a terminal.....

** BRONX EXPRESS BUS ROUTE SUGGESTIONS **

Reactions?

Of the suggestions you made, I only agree w/ sending the BxM4 to Yonkers av (Yonkers raceway); across mclean & up central park av.... But in conjunction w/ this, I also agree what QJT is saying.... south of like E. Tremont, the route can go non-stop to manhattan.....

The other suggestions you made, I wouldn't bother doing.....

I guess VG8 does not want the "riff-raff" from Inwood to board his buses lol. I let him explain further.

That's how it read to me also......

The irony is, it isn't the so-called riff-raff disembarking outbound BxM1's in Inwood.....

Edited by B35 via Church