SEE IT: Daredevils subway surf over Williamsburg Bridge

R188 7857

My two cents: in human history adolescents always needed to defy danger to create a reputation for being fearless and risk-taking. Used to be that they fought some wild animal--now they hold on to subway trains. It doesn't make sense and my explanation certainly doesn't make it right, but we have to face that that is a feeling young people have. Perhaps there is a need for better ways to channel that into other activities that are not life-threatening.

My two cents: in human history adolescents always needed to defy danger to create a reputation for being fearless and risk-taking. Used to be that they fought some wild animal--now they hold on to subway trains. It doesn't make sense and my explanation certainly doesn't make it right, but we have to face that that is a feeling young people have. Perhaps there is a need for better ways to channel that into other activities that are not life-threatening.

Sure. We call them Sports these days. :D  

Haha, sorry I don't mean to be dismissive of your comment - I totally get where you're coming from - I just still don't think there's anything resembling a justification for these sort of stunts. 

This is tame compared to what I've seen. Ever see anyone surf on the SIDE of a car? Yep, 'Thrillers' would wait until the doors closed then run along the plat and time their jump then leap at the doors before the train left the station. This was years ago when it was possible to poke hands between the doors. Most would ride for a short while and jump off before they reached the end of the station. A few wound up kissing columns. A couple of daredevils would go right into the tunnel to the next stop. With my own eyes I saw one fool clinging outside the door with all his might, fingers of both hands sticking through the rubber door guards. Also heard stories about death defying doughnut holes riding on top of trains on the Bronx IRT lines. I never saw it. No clue if it was true.

This is tame compared to what I've seen. Ever see anyone surf on the SIDE of a car? Yep, 'Thrillers' would wait until the doors closed then run along the plat and time their jump then leap at the doors before the train left the station. This was years ago when it was possible to poke hands between the doors. Most would ride for a short while and jump off before they reached the end of the station. A few wound up kissing columns. A couple of daredevils would go right into the tunnel to the next stop. With my own eyes I saw one fool clinging outside the door with all his might, fingers of both hands sticking through the rubber door guards. Also heard stories about death defying doughnut holes riding on top of trains on the Bronx IRT lines. I never saw it. No clue if it was true.

Idiot.  Not only does he do it during the day when everyone can see him, he a train which has no ridges or anything on top of the train, so you can slide right off... again, idiot.

A russian tourist tried to do this above a Paris metro train several month ago, he was killed. 

This kind of stuff seems quite "popular" in Eastern Europe, less so in France.

This happens soo often. Around maybe 3-4 people do this a day. Its a new thing right now, some people record it and post it, some just make post about them doing it. Seems as if the hot lines to do it is the L, J, M, E, and 4. Of course, this happens around 9-11pm on days, and on the weekends, late nights.

3-4 people per day, I had no idea this was so common!  :blink:

That last statement...a lot of sports can be life-threatening. That's why South Park made fun of it with 'Sarcasta-ball' or however you spell it.

Idiot.  Not only does he do it during the day when everyone can see him, he a train which has no ridges or anything on top of the train, so you can slide right off... again, idiot.

So he was voicing his opinions and you call him an idiot. Lovely.

But like he pointed out, these 'daredevil' acts are nothing compared to other things I've seen on the internet. Though I don't understand why you guys keep debating like they are going to change their minds on the act. It's called natural selection.

Given the usage of terms such as "he" , I would assume that the idiot is the person described in the story, not the one who posted the story.

Are you even reading the post correctly? He quotes a user's post explaining other things and just says 'idiot'. Christ sake.

Given the usage of terms such as "he" , I would assume that the idiot is the person described in the story, not the one who posted the story.

Are you even reading the post correctly? He quotes a user's post explaining other things and just says 'idiot'. Christ sake.

I was calling the guy in the video an idiot.  I most definitely didn't call TeeLow an idiot.  The only reason I quoted him was because he said he heard of people surfing on top of trains, but never saw it, so I posted a video that was on youtube of someone surfing on top of a train

• 1 month later...

Archived