Safety award jackets

DOB2RTO

As some of you may have seen, the MTA gives drivers safety jackets, if they had no accidents for a year. They are dark blue, with the patches, of the years(s) the driver had no accidents.

Here is the down side some of the public does not know. You can have a clean record, but still not get the jacket. Why, is because if you have an incident that does not involve you (like a customer vomiting on the bus, or some kids walking by the bus and deciding to break a window), the MTA uses that against a driver to not give one a jacket. Why? Who knows. Sound unfair doesn't it?

The jacket is refered to some employees as the good luck jacket.

On all the fantrips I've taken, yes, I have noticed that particular patch on some of the drivers.... haven't seen too many though... last one I saw was that of a b/o @ FP....

anyway, what you have stated there, I would have never known that.... So basically the b/o gotta have a clean record, and they have to return the buses to the depots in the same (or better...) condition then what they left the depot in, to get that jacket/award.... man, I find that to be absurd.... Very unfair to the drivers, as if their jobs aren't stressful enough....

I've seen those jackets on bus operators before, and I wasn't sure exactly what they stood for. Now I know; thanks for the explanation!

Doesn't seem fair at all. If you're going to give out some form of recognition (such as the jacket) for going one full year on a clean record, it shouldn't count against you if something unfortunate happens to you on the job, through no fault of your own.

I wonder if something similar to this is done with NJ Transit.

Possibly. I know Liberty Lines (operator of most of the Bee-line buses) has pictures on the wall of drivers with a clean record, and outstanding customer service.

Are you in route to earning a jacket? If not, did an incident happen that was beyond your control?

I won't be getting one. I had incidents. Two with vomiting, and one broken window. I don't think the vomit goes against the driver, due to the fact no paperwork is done when that happens. But the broken window does, cause it is vandalism. On the Concourse, some kids outside banged on the window, just for the heck of it, and shattered the glass. Paperwork time.

In RTO we get a broken window we isolate the car and keep it moving no paper work to be filled out. Ofcause we don't get special jackets in RTO. However you get a special pin if you don't book off for one Year. I won't be getting that because my sick record isn't that spotless. In RTO you don't get credit for much.

• 1 year later...

Archived