2014 MLB Thread

BreeddekalbL

should i cry....

Jeter is retiring, this is his final season

This isn't surprising. Last season, he only played seventeen games because his broken ankle wouldn't heal properly, and he tried to come back too prematurely. At thirty-nine years old, he's one of the oldest players, and he'll turn forty in late-June. I don't know how well he'll play this year, but at his age, it'll become very difficult to train and play baseball.

I still remember watching him play back in 1998 as a little kid, and to see him play for one organization for so long is such a rarity these days. Like Mo and Pettitte, I'm gonna miss him when he retires.

Barring a miracle, I don't see the Cubs ready for even a 2nd WC spot let alone a chance for the WS, same for the ChiSox. So it looks like you may have to settle for the inter league series.

On the Jeter thing, it isn't surprising. I like the guy, but it is best to bow out while he can still play than to retire washed up. at least announcing now gives every team the chance to give him a farewell tribute the way they did for Rivera. I will love to see how they will try to one up each other with the gifts.

I love how Kuroda is acting like a mentor for Tanaka, very good move and hey Kuroda is getting paid a lot despite tailing off last year. So at least if he's not gonna last 5 innings, may as well prep the new guy to get acclimated with the new league.

Gotta smh at that Seattle skipper. Sure he's right to defend Cano after Long called him out on the lack of hustle (which is true), but it's not like Long was saying just that and did praise Cano for all the good work he did. So just another irrelevant banter from a seattle team with one big bat and one ace. They should worry more about the Rangers and As. I still don't blame Cano for bolting, but he was asking for too many years. Yankees were better off passing given how they still gotta deal with Aroid for a few more years after this one (unless they bought him out). I'd be more surprised they let him play in 2015 given all his threats to sue the team or such over the 'conspiracy' to keep him out. Very stupid to 'bite the hand that feeds you'.

Finally, on the 5th starter spot: I am crossing my fingers Pineda finally proves he can pitch again because the other guys are best suited as long relievers/spot starters at best. Nuno, i guess intrigues me because i dunno what he can do. That said they still need a 7th and 8th inning guys. Also what happened to Jesus montero? Was he released or still demoted to the minors? Such a shame for him, but at least it has helped lessen the pain about Pineda not pitching.

• 2 months later...

As a MLB Blogger (peppermlb.mlblogs.com) I have to say, I am truly impressed by the Mets. I go to all the home games and recently there is a changed atmosphere at the ballpark. A 13-10 ball club is no joke. There seems to be a plan going into each and every game. The Pitching has been great, and if we can get a tad more offense then who knows what will happen!

• 2 weeks later...

Clearly some umps need to be fired. How was that a strike? Low and away is a ball. But nope, manager is the one that gets tossed...

Anyways if Kuroda imploded last night, I'd be very worried about the rotation now. CC is just a lost cause. They may as well have aceves be his clean up guy. CC is going to kill the pen if he can't make it past the 5th inning.

Is this another setback or the same one during the suspension? CC, well can't say i was too surprised. I don't want to say i'm glad he's on the dl to say it could be why he hasn't done too well lately, but it's been downhill for sometime now. It's so bad Aceves would be better than CC in terms of lasting longer in games.

I think the other pitcher Jose Campos elected to get tommy john surgery as well. So much for him... Wtf is up with this year and so many pitchers needing Tommy John?

As for tonight, a total f**k up. The mets can't hit for shit the whole marlins series and now they bust out 9 runs? and of all times Farnsworthless gets a save? I dunno whether to be more pissed off at Mccann for hitting into a game ending dp or Farnsworth to get the save.  And with Valverde warming up, I would've expected the team to still lose to him or tie the game forcing extras. They just can't seem to beat Valverde period. They can tie the game (bs), but not win. If the yankees wins just 2 of the 4 games, i'll settle for it. Just get this gimmick series over with... thank god it isn't 6 like it used to. I don't think i can take it anymore with the ineptitude of this yankees team.

The Yankees really haven't played well since they hung that 14-spot on Boston up in Fenway. Ever since that series, the pitching has progressively gotten worse and worse...

7 runs should be enough to win any day of the week, and they've done it twice, but the pitching has just been bad all around, starting and relieving... for both teams really, but the Yankees relief corps just seems to be imploding right now.

Archived