MJQ driver killed when his bus is hit by stolen truck (bus 5299, M14D)

BreeddekalbL

My condolences to the Peña family without a doubt this was a horrible accident what I've learned from news reports is that the box truck was not being pursued by the police and Mr. Peña had the right of way residents in the neighborhood stated that the individual who swiped the truck was frantic and sweating profusely and also banging on doors and ringing intercoms which indicates to me that he was on some type of illegal narcotic NYCT buses are equipped with lap belts and not shoulder harness belts that we associate with passenger cars

The truck was stolen and being chased by the NYPD down 7 Avenue, when it hit bus 5299 on the M14D, which then careened into scaffolding, being crushed under it and against the building against which it was situated. (Bus 5275 was also cordoned off.)

I hope that second-degree murder charges come out of this because the driver of the stolen truck knew or should have known that he could hit an innocent motorist. The appropriate charges here would be: second degree murder, 4 counts of attempted murder, grand larceny - second degree, and others (such as eluding arrest)...especially if the driver's license was suspended, revoked, or non-existent.

In some states you will be charged with murder when you run from the cops in a chase and end up killing someone you can be charged with murder! Its the same thing if you rob someone and the victim ends up dying during the robbery you  get a capital murder charge.

One has to wonder: what if the B/O was wearing his seatbelt? DNAinfo noted that Pena was ejected from the bus. I do believe that the MTA will be drilling this with operators all over the city---wear your seatbelts!

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20140214/civic-center/models-nephew-had-twice-legal-alcohol-limit-before-fatal-mta-bus-crash-da

If the belt failed to hold him in, I could see a lawsuit against Recaro USA (which supplies the driver's seats on most MTA buses).

If the impact is strong enough, you can get ejected with any lap belt. Recaro, USSC, doesn't matter. This hasn't been the first time it's happened.

I hate how the news seems to care more about the fact that this POS criminal was Tyson Beckford's nephew rather than the fact that someone was killed in this. Smh. I hope Dominic Whilby gets life in prison with no chance of parole.

Dominic was a young man who had a lot of potential and could have made something out of his life, but he chose to be stupid and careless and messed up his and other peoples life. And if you do the crime, you do the time.

If the impact is strong enough, you can get ejected with any lap belt. Recaro, USSC, doesn't matter. This hasn't been the first time it's happened.

Correct this isn't the first time an accident like this has occurred Back in 1999 an FDNY truck which was responding to a call was involved in an accident with a NYCT Bus killing the Bus Operator from Jackie Gleason Depot

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/11/26/nyregion/bus-driver-killed-in-crash-with-fire-truck-in-brooklyn.html

Correct this isn't the first time an accident like this has occurred Back in 1999 an FDNY truck which was responding to a call was involved in an accident with a NYCT Bus killing the Bus Operator from Jackie Gleason Depot

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/11/26/nyregion/bus-driver-killed-in-crash-with-fire-truck-in-brooklyn.html

what about an i think it was an M4 bus that i think the driver had a heart attack and died as a result causing an accident

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

i hate to revive an old thread but i do have a good news update the drunk driver has been convicted of manslaughter in the 2nd degree and aggravated vehicular homicide,  but missed out on convicting on depraived indifference murder 

http://www.twulocal100.org/story/drunk-driver-convicted-death-bus-operator-william-pena

Archived