Reopen the NB Platform of the BMT Cortlandt St Sta.?

MTR Admiralty

Within yards of Ground Zero, this station has been closed by the MTA since 2005, who promised it will reopen the station a year later.

Yet it's still closed...

Now...

When will it re-open?

I passed by the station a couple times recently and I saw that a large majority of the work is complete. there are factors leading to its prolonged closure, including the PA's request to keep it closed as it is excavating the foundations for new Trade Centre towers. the NB platform lies on the east side of Church Street and there are structures along the street that will form the new street entrances (or were they pre-existing?).

Months ago, they were planning to open the NB platform, as it is not adjacent to WTC related construction.

i'd say, if they plan to open the NB platform, they could open the other one as well. after all, the connector is in place. the commuters might as well go downstairs before going upstairs (think irt 96th street in UWS). idk, what u guys think?

I think they should. Even though I would really use that station to get into Brooklyn quicker instead of heading further uptown or taking the IRT into Brooklyn, but oh well, thats me. Hopefully they're working fast enough so that at least the SB platform can open too.

I think they should. Even though I would really use that station to get into Brooklyn quicker instead of heading further uptown or taking the IRT into Brooklyn, but oh well, thats me. Hopefully they're working fast enough so that at least the SB platform can open too.

u mean da PA right? yea theyre demolishing the old path structure at BREAKNECK speed... plus that will solve sum of the tourists' problems... vesey street will be a heck lot crowded when cortlandt opens before the perm station opens, but they couldve connected at 34th street to da path right? :(

u mean da PA right? yea theyre demolishing the old path structure at BREAKNECK speed... plus that will solve sum of the tourists' problems... vesey street will be a heck lot crowded when cortlandt opens before the perm station opens, but they couldve connected at 34th street to da path right? :(

Wait, I don't understand what you are saying.

I agree, but I think the MTA opened the new entrances at Fulton St (4)/(5) AT Cortlandt St/B'way because of this. It is quite a walk, but the only "Cortlandt St" open right now is the exit on the (4)/(5) platform. They need to get this ®/(W) platform open, and I think Northbound is actually ready, but Southbound is in the way of the construction.

currently the MTA is in dept and it was canceled until 2011

u mean debt... i dink ur tlk abt the fulton street project

I agree, but I think the MTA opened the new entrances at Fulton St (4)/(5) AT Cortlandt St/B'way because of this. It is quite a walk, but the only "Cortlandt St" open right now is the exit on the (4)/(5) platform. They need to get this ®/(W) platform open, and I think Northbound is actually ready, but Southbound is in the way of the construction.

well, yea its a bit of a walk. if da commuters originate from say so. bk, they would have to xfer at pacific for the IRT 2 downtown or take it 2 rector... opening cortlandt NB only will solve this problem.

yea they should reopen the NB at least

man, i feel bad for millenium hotel nd century 21, they hav 2 deal with the construction right out there before their own eye$

technically the crossunder is ready, as there are stairs on both platforms i believe (im sure NB, i hav 2 confirm wit SB)

All I got to say, is that the MTA shouldnt open this station, as well as the (1) trains version, at this time. The city needs to first focus on rebuilding WTC. I mean wat if the city needs to build sumin over the (1)(R)(W) meaning, build above it, and keeping the line, how can they do that if a station is there? What they should be doing in provide a shuttle bus sevice:

On the (1) from Chambers to rector or to Ferry

On the (R)(W) from City Hall to Rector or to ferry

In both directions, if possible....

All I got to say, is that the MTA shouldnt open this station, as well as the (1) trains version, at this time. The city needs to first focus on rebuilding WTC. I mean wat if the city needs to build sumin over the (1)(R)(W) meaning, build above it, and keeping the line, how can they do that if a station is there? What they should be doing in provide a shuttle bus sevice:

the NB platform is ready for opening, just idk when

the SB platform is relatively finished, however due to the port authority's excavation of the east bathtub in ground zero and the excavation of the foundations of Towers 2,3 and 4, the port authority recommends that the mta should not open the SB platform

the irt station will not open due to apparent reasons... it sits in the centre of ground zero where it is a ground zero of construction work... if it is connected to the World Financial Centre-Fulton Street Transportation Centre link then an early opening could be possible. but they cant add the platforms in this kind of environment where they are trying to BUILD!

Agree. What they also need to do is start work on the cortlandt st (1) station. I am getting more & more aggravated at not having such a common sense connection RIGHT at the PATH station, especially since they closed the underground connection to the (E). I am so sick of having to walk 3 blocks just to get to a (E) train that is actually only half a block away!!!!!

- (A)

Thats a waste. People need to walk or try to use the other lines in the area.

Agree. What they also need to do is start work on the cortlandt st (1) station. I am getting more & more aggravated at not having such a common sense connection RIGHT at the PATH station, especially since they closed the underground connection to the (E). I am so sick of having to walk 3 blocks just to get to a (E) train that is actually only half a block away!!!!!

- (A)

Well my friend, it seems you're walking in the wrong direction for the Chambers Street/WTC (E) station. :D

Once up and out of the PATH WTC, make a right on Vesey and you're good a block walk. Its almost the exact same way it was before with a little more turn, and a few more steps that the escalator saved you from a few already.

Hell, I love this new temporary station. It puts me closer to the Chamber Street station for the (1)(2) and (3), Plus puts me closer to the Jamba Juice thats on West Broadway, and sort of the new 7-11 in Lower Manhattan. ;)

Thats a waste. People need to walk or try to use the other lines in the area.

Well my friend, it seems you're walking in the wrong direction for the Chambers Street/WTC (E) station. :D

Once up and out of the PATH WTC, make a right on Vesey and you're good a block walk. Its almost the exact same way it was before with a little more turn, and a few more steps that the escalator saved you from a few already.

Hell, I love this new temporary station. It puts me closer to the Chamber Street station for the (1)(2) and (3), Plus puts me closer to the Jamba Juice thats on West Broadway, and sort of the new 7-11 in Lower Manhattan. ;)

Ya, but coming from the (E) to PATH is the pain, not going to. And sometimes that entrance is exit only.:cool:

- (A)

what is worse is that (E) customers lose lift access also.

talkin abt lifts, will bmt cortlandt get lifts?

Well, for a temporary status since (E) riders depending on PATH elevators at the WTC.

I don't think its in the plans to put elevators for the (R)(W) Cortlandt Street station, even though the SB platform was wheelchair assessable, again because of the elevators for the PATH WTC stop.

Well, for a temporary status since (E) riders depending on PATH elevators at the WTC.

I don't think its in the plans to put elevators for the (R)(W) Cortlandt Street station, even though the SB platform was wheelchair assessable, again because of the elevators for the PATH WTC stop.

yea, i hope that connection opens from the wtc station to the cortlandt street stop... btw, why didnt they connect it to the 1?

yea, i hope that connection opens from the wtc station to the cortlandt street stop... btw, why didnt they connect it to the 1?

It was connected pre-9/11. Once you got off the long escalators from the PATH, the (1) Cortlandt Street stop was to the right. I remember it so clearly too because I use to always go through there and then take the (1) from there.

It was connected pre-9/11. Once you got off the long escalators from the PATH, the (1) Cortlandt Street stop was to the right. I remember it so clearly too because I use to always go through there and then take the (1) from there.

i remember it vividly too, there was a mrs fields near the escalator bank.

i meant a free xfer between IRT and the BMT and IND.

but i guess its a bit fruitless as there will be a connection from da (R)(W) 2 da (1), nd that there is a pre-existing xfer to the (2)(3) at WTC

Archived