MaBSTOA #4105 Hiring Process

BusOperator3319

Hey guys, I am a little confused.I take the BOSS on Saturday, so it's only a survey? So when is the real exam? After I take the survey the same day?

Thats pretty much it. Just the survey questionnaire. Similar to what most big box retailers administered when applying for a job. About 70-75 questions which some of the questions are repeated multiple time but ask and worded differently.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is this test a continuation of another test, the numbers they gave out are high. I applied in the first 1hr 1/2 and got a number  in the 6000's and from what I see from other people their numbers are in the 4 digits. I applied for 2301, 2 weeks after it opened and got a lower number.

Less time on the road...less chance of an "accident" could happen.....just do the 5 and out.....pick the highest paying run you can pick....

That's what I figured... well hopefully in another year or so I'll get picked up. Hopefully I'll be able to get out to Staten Island, I mean I live 20 minutes from 1 depot and about 40 minutes from the other. I've been trying to get in for like 8yrs every time they just take my money, this is the first damn time I get called and it's for MABSTOA..go figure. 

Just got home from the exam, any feedback?

For me, although I got an 11 AM exam time, I got there early, and was able to walk in, get a card with the room and seat #, and get started. The exam for me started at 10:30, I was finished by 11 AM since I took this exam before.

In the event any of you are curious - I was wearing a white jacket with a black hoodie with a black and yellow hat while waiting outside of the school. My room # was 515 and I was in the second seat towards the hallway. In addition, my list # for this is 410* [anywhere from 4100 to 4109].

Next, upon leaving the building, I was so shocked to see so many people outside waiting to take the test...I'm so glad I got there early. Depending on how many people pass the BOSS test and how many people pass the first drug test @ 180 Livingston Street, they should have a good healthy list of people.

Now, for those who have been reading the 2613 thread, you know that I initially tried becoming a B/O in February of 2014 and I failed. I'm willing to try again since I took B/O exams 4600 and 4105. I know you have to go to DCAS to get my list # reinstated for 4600, but how about for 4105? Any advice?

Thanks in advance...

@youngnycsubwayfan. Just curious how did you fail the b/O position?

So the instructor from Days 1 to 7 was a real assh**e, I even wrote letters to the VP of the Dept. of Buses about him. Half-way into the initial 7 day training, I got a very bad gut feeling.

Day 9, I liked the Superintendent very much, however I almost hit a pedestrian while servicing a bus stop.

On Day 10, one of the two instructors was my original instructor, which was not good from the start, at least in my opinion.

Just got home from the exam, any feedback?

For me, although I got an 11 AM exam time, I got there early, and was able to walk in, get a card with the room and seat #, and get started. The exam for me started at 10:30, I was finished by 11 AM since I took this exam before.

In the event any of you are curious - I was wearing a white jacket with a black hoodie with a black and yellow hat while waiting outside of the school. My room # was 515 and I was in the second seat towards the hallway. In addition, my list # for this is 410* [anywhere from 4100 to 4109].

Next, upon leaving the building, I was so shocked to see so many people outside waiting to take the test...I'm so glad I got there early. Depending on how many people pass the BOSS test and how many people pass the first drug test @ 180 Livingston Street, they should have a good healthy list of people.

Now, for those who have been reading the 2613 thread, you know that I initially tried becoming a B/O in February of 2014 and I failed. I'm willing to try again since I took B/O exams 4600 and 4105. I know you have to go to DCAS to get my list # reinstated for 4600, but how about for 4105? Any advice?

Thanks in advance...

Same here... my and a friend had the 12:30 and 1:30 exam, so those lines and wanted to find out how it worked. Turns out they took me and my friend in the 11:30 slot which was pretty good considering not having to stay there and meet up after the test. The lines were CRAZY....but I was looking around and I as like WOW I know a lot of these people are going to come up dirty. 

I mean really people were talking about leaving to go burn something ON the line.... crazy. The test over all was funny to me, the questions all tied into each other one way or another. Hopefully I'll get my pass notification and get in, in a year or 2 because I'm very sure there are a lot of people ahead of me. 

Thanks for all the info !!!

Same here... my and a friend had the 12:30 and 1:30 exam, so those lines and wanted to find out how it worked. Turns out they took me and my friend in the 11:30 slot which was pretty good considering not having to stay there and meet up after the test. The lines were CRAZY....but I was looking around and I as like WOW I know a lot of these people are going to come up dirty. 

I mean really people were talking about leaving to go burn something ON the line.... crazy. The test over all was funny to me, the questions all tied into each other one way or another. Hopefully I'll get my pass notification and get in, in a year or 2 because I'm very sure there are a lot of people ahead of me. 

Thanks for all the info !!!

You're welcome, glad to help in any way I can.

Omg I took it at 830 well was supposed to anyway it started at 930 I was finished at 955 that was the craziest test how do u score someone's personality lol question 37 n 48 were exactly DA same my list number 2'000 I too was looking around and could estimate about 1000 have open court cases drug problems n probably license issues so I'm not so worried about being in the low 2000's with my cdl my nepfew on the other had went in at 130 list # 6'000 who does not even have his cdl permit will probably b a minute

Omg I took it at 830 well was supposed to anyway it started at 930 I was finished at 955 that was the craziest test how do u score someone's personality lol question 37 n 48 were exactly DA same my list number 2'000 I too was looking around and could estimate about 1000 have open court cases drug problems n probably license issues so I'm not so worried about being in the low 2000's with my cdl my nepfew on the other had went in at 130 list # 6'000 who does not even have his cdl permit will probably b a minute

Same here I took test same time my list number in the same range. Like you said people won't make it through so we should be gucci.

Hey MTAWIFE. How are you?

Your list number that was randomly selected when you applied remains the same if you pass the BOSS exam. Basically  let's say 15,000 applicants applied for the position. and only 5,000 passed the exam. The total of 5,000 will be the actual eligible  candidates to be appointed as position vacancy.  Lets say list number 1 , 2 , 3, 4. 7,  and 8 failed the BOSS and List number 5, 6, 9 passed. Number 5 , 6, and 9  will be called in as the replacement order since 1, 2, 3, 4, 7 and 8 failed. They just  skip the numbers onto the next candidate who actually passed. That would make it a total of 5,000 candidates who are eligible for a Pre employment process when the time comes.

What's the difference between your "random list number" and your list number "once the list is established "

In order to obtain a civil service job (Police Officer, Track Worker, Bus Operator [for NYC Transit], Conductor, Train Operator, etc., you have to take a civil service examination, in which you will be asked questions about the position. Example: When I took the initial exams for B/O 2613 and 4600, I answered a few questions using a bus timetable and a specific section of the Queens Bus Map. After NYC Transit only got 3,621 candidates from the B/O 2613 exam, they did make the B/O 4600 exam a little bit easier. One way is with less questions, 80 compared to 60. The track worker exam 3600 was mostly reading comprehension, including one passage on proper procedures when working on the tracks, and one passage on the difference between the IND/BMT (B Division) and the IRT (A Division).

After taking this examination, providing you passed with a 70% score or higher, you will be given a list number based on how well you did on the exam. The higher the score, the smaller the list number which means you will be called sooner for the drug test, medical, etc. The lower the score the bigger the list number, which means you won't be called as soon, like maybe 3 to 4 years compared to 1 to 2 OR you won't be called at all if you got a 70% score or very close to it.

Once you applied to MaBSTOA or MTA Bus Operator, they assign you a "random list number" since there is no civil service exam. A "random list number" is a number picked at random to which you are assigned. It is in that order that they will call candidates. However, as some of you folks previously mentioned, if you fail the BOSS test, you are removed from the list. Then, although your random list number stays the same, there are less people ahead of you waiting to be called. Similarly, if you go to 180 Livingston Street and fail the drug test, or have a long criminal record, then there will be less people ahead of you waiting to be called.

Questions? Please do not hesitate to ask.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

It cant get any simpler then dat lol ok explain. Y they state cdl b with pass n never mention airbrakes misleading n people. Will b skrewed if they don't know n get called without it

If you read the CDL manual and/or do some basic research, airbrakes are included in it, that's why.

...so get it now so no one just in front of u lol...

I do agree that you must have this when you go to 180 Livingston Street for the first time. Even if you just have a temporary permit in your hand and not the actual document from Albany, it's okay.

However, depending on how you did on the exam (and where you are on the list), I disagree with the fact that you have to get this now. Keep in mind that you can only renew this document once - after two years, you have to take the tests @ DMV all over again.

In addition, as of this posting (11/25/2014), NYCT HR is a little past the half-way point of the list for B/O exam 2613. Keep in mind that Exam 2613 was given prior to exam 4600. Therefore, IMHO, it will be a few more months (at least two or three) before the list for B/O exam 4600 is established/produced/released, etc.