MaBSTOA #4105 Hiring Process

BusOperator3319

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update * i was reinstated finally! I start training July 9th I will definelty make sure I have a tie on this time lol I just want to thank @SevenEleven for the advice and encouragement you was very informative man thanks!!! i just have one last question that I’m confuse about: 

(well two but I’m going to do my own research on rather which union is better and which depot gets paid more ATU or twu I’m currently with ATU local 0732 down here in Atlanta)

My appointment papers state If you have a out of state CDL (which I do have) you need to bring a drivers abstract on my first day but at 180 Livingston street they instructed me to transfer my out of state CDL ASAP or I won’t be able to proceed on with the training I even ask the people at zerega my first time there before i was sent home they said that it doesn’t matter what state the CDL is from while in training as long as it is valid and clean...I’m afraid of getting sent home again so I want to know for sure if i was told the right information by either 180 Livingston street or the people at zerega....I know I’m eventually going to have to transfer my Georgia license to ny but I want do it once I officially finish the 7-10 day training (anything can happen) also my current job (Marta which is Atlanta version of mta) put you on hold once you surrender your Georgia state CDL 

4 minutes ago, Mr Marta said:

During the 7-10 training they give you weekend off correct?

If yr orientation is a monday that means tuesday u start training they may ask you to come in that Sat to make up 5 days of training then u go back monday to friday to make up 10 days training. After qualifying you do equipment training on diff buses then back to zerega for customer service 3 days then you pick depot where you go do line training 4 weeks now during that 4 weeks u have weekends off enjoy it well cuz once you come off line training you won't have another weekend off for a very long long time 

4 minutes ago, LeoSimmy said:

If yr orientation is a monday that means tuesday u start training they may ask you to come in that Sat to make up 5 days of training then u go back monday to friday to make up 10 days training. After qualifying you do equipment training on diff buses then back to zerega for customer service 3 days then you pick depot where you go do line training 4 weeks now during that 4 weeks u have weekends off enjoy it well cuz once you come off line training you won't have another weekend off for a very long long time 

Thanks I’m still doing research and I know there is a thread on this but I can’t find it , but on your knowledge which union is better twu or ATU? I’m just trying to plan my steps ahead i will be moving to Staten Island so i want to go to a ATU base depot but I know for a fact the money is at with a twu base depot in the city  I also read somewhere that even though the starting rate is $23.84, but depending on which depot you go to (rep. ATU or TWU) the payrate differs

2 hours ago, Mr Marta said:

Update * i was reinstated finally! I start training July 9th I will definelty make sure I have a tie on this time lol I just want to thank @SevenEleven for the advice and encouragement you was very informative man thanks!!! i just have one last question that I’m confuse about: 

(well two but I’m going to do my own research on rather which union is better and which depot gets paid more ATU or twu I’m currently with ATU local 0732 down here in Atlanta)

My appointment papers state If you have a out of state CDL (which I do have) you need to bring a drivers abstract on my first day but at 180 Livingston street they instructed me to transfer my out of state CDL ASAP or I won’t be able to proceed on with the training I even ask the people at zerega my first time there before i was sent home they said that it doesn’t matter what state the CDL is from while in training as long as it is valid and clean...I’m afraid of getting sent home again so I want to know for sure if i was told the right information by either 180 Livingston street or the people at zerega....I know I’m eventually going to have to transfer my Georgia license to ny but I want do it once I officially finish the 7-10 day training (anything can happen) also my current job (Marta which is Atlanta version of mta) put you on hold once you surrender your Georgia state CDL 

If someone from Zerega said so, then I would roll with that. You would just have to have your abstract from Atlanta's DMV before you go to orientation, as they cannot pull that information from the computer. If you can't proceed for whatever license issue, they give you that first day to go to DMV, sort it out and get back to Zerega before 3PM. 

As for uniforms, it is definitely summer so long pants and a tie with a long sleeve. With a short sleeve it is optional.

Regarding your other post, if your plan is to work in Staten Island, then you will have to be hired off a TA exam and then request a transfer to Staten Island. You can't work in SI as an OA operator. The good thing however is that your probationary period doesn't get extended when you make the switch and you don't have to go through the 10 day training period.

As for what depots make money, that's subjective. We all have the same wage progression scale now since ATU 726 (Staten Island) and 1056 (Queens) signed their new contracts earlier in the year. I've personally heard that West Farms is easily a money depot and I'm sure that other ops can chime in on other depots but the ability to make (more) money depends on your seniority and what run and depot you wind up with. The L train shutdown is coming so that can be easy extra cash when that comes. 

In Staten Island, you will learn all the lines in the boro, both local and express, so if there is any open work and you are done for the day, you can pick it up and it will be added as overtime to your pay for the day. Also, if you come to Staten Island you are stuck here for your bus operating career.

I work out of SI, so if you have any further questions, shoot me a PM or something. 

9 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

If someone from Zerega said so, then I would roll with that. You would just have to have your abstract from Atlanta's DMV before you go to orientation, as they cannot pull that information from the computer. If you can't proceed for whatever license issue, they give you that first day to go to DMV, sort it out and get back to Zerega before 3PM. 

As for uniforms, it is definitely summer so long pants and a tie with a long sleeve. With a short sleeve it is optional.

Regarding your other post, if your plan is to work in Staten Island, then you will have to be hired off a TA exam and then request a transfer to Staten Island. You can't work in SI as an OA operator. The good thing however is that your probationary period doesn't get extended when you make the switch and you don't have to go through the 10 day training period.

As for what depots make money, that's subjective. We all have the same wage progression scale now since ATU 726 (Staten Island) and 1056 (Queens) signed their new contracts earlier in the year. I've personally heard that West Farms is easily a money depot and I'm sure that other ops can chime in on other depots but the ability to make (more) money depends on your seniority and what run and depot you wind up with. The L train shutdown is coming so that can be easy extra cash when that comes. 

In Staten Island, you will learn all the lines in the boro, both local and express, so if there is any open work and you are done for the day, you can pick it up and it will be added as overtime to your pay for the day. Also, if you come to Staten Island you are stuck here for your bus operating career.

I work out of SI, so if you have any further questions, shoot me a PM or something. 

West Farms$.. lol Everybody knows that... ENY also got the $, but you are absolutely right about the runs and seniority. 

That L train will become a run and route to pick if your depot will carry out that line. I'm hearing from a few SLD that it will be assigned to a Manhattan depot "Quill" I'm assuming Since they are closer to where the L train operates, and out of Brooklyn possibility 2 or 3 depots will be assigned for the L when it actually goes down April 2019. Similar to what they did Summer 2017 for the M shuttle.

12 hours ago, Mr Marta said:

During the 7-10 training they give you weekend off correct?

It all depends...… If something happens where they are force to cancel a day out of the week during the 7-10 days training, they will push a day towards that weekend to make it up. Usually on bad weather conditions it happens or if the week falls onto a holiday. 

6 hours ago, DueceDrives said:

West Farms$.. lol Everybody knows that... ENY also got the $, but you are absolutely right about the runs and seniority. 

That L train will become a run and route to pick if your depot will carry out that line. I'm hearing from a few SLD that it will be assigned to a Manhattan depot "Quill" I'm assuming Since they are closer to where the L train operates, and out of Brooklyn possibility 2 or 3 depots will be assigned for the L when it actually goes down April 2019. Similar to what they did Summer 2017 for the M shuttle.

Quill and Jackie Gleason are the two confirmed depots as of right now. My classmate out of Kingsbridge has been on the list for a while and he's been knocking out 100 hour checks easily.

I start training 7/9 and have a question about the proper attire. Is it mandatory to wear long sleeves? or can you where short sleeves? I am assuming they want light blue collard button downs correct similar ? want to make sure i go in with the correct uniform.  Also what are recommendations about getting to Zerega, coming from SI and it would take me about 2 hours in train as opposed to driving it would be an hour. is Parking tough there? 

Pretty much show up to Zerega like a bus operator. The blue doesn't have to be exact, it just needs to be blue. You must wear pants and you must wear a tie if you choose to wear a long sleeve. With the short sleeve, it is optional. 

Where do you live in SI? If you drive up, try to get there around 5-530am the latest, if you want something out front. It is tough, there's a bunch of companies and Sanitation there.  If not, drive and park by the VZ Bridge and take the X1 into the city. 

What I did for a 7am report was take the X1 to 34th Street. 

Walk to Penn Station, two blocks west, and take the Port Washington LIRR train to Flushing - Main Street. From there, I took the Q44 over the bridge to Zerega Av and walked to the building from there. It's a lot of legs but I got there at 630am, no more than 10 mins a connection. I have to look up the times of the trips that I took but if you punch it into Google to arrive by 645am, you'll see what I'm talking about. 

The first X17J trip from SI will make that Port Wash train too. 

You'll have to come out of pocket for all of this but when you get your pass, it'll be a free ride the whole way. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know when they'll start calling classes from 4105 again? Ms, Chestnut told me that because DCAS doesn't handle MABSTOA, I just have to call when they have a class and I'll be in (I didn't answer my pre-employment letter last year, because I was worried about failing the 7-10 day training, and was in my dream career, which is starting to look way more unstable now).

Thanks!

On 7/13/2018 at 9:56 AM, raeva0711 said:

Does anyone know if classes are every two weeks now

There’s classes, but it all depends on what exam agency is being called for the classes I have seen for the past months now..

1 hour ago, MarkGuy said:

Does anyone know when they'll start calling classes from 4105 again? Ms, Chestnut told me that because DCAS doesn't handle MABSTOA, I just have to call when they have a class and I'll be in (I didn't answer my pre-employment letter last year, because I was worried about failing the 7-10 day training, and was in my dream career, which is starting to look way more unstable now).

Thanks!

The 7- 10 day training is a challenge, and you should’nt be afraid If you humble yourself to learn and execute the way transit wants you to do the job. Its all on you and only you got what it takes to move forward with this job. If you believe in yourself, you will do everything possible to execute the training process.

A few keys to remember to pass is to :

Think of Safety

Forward planning

Having control over the situation and understanding why my action is being done. 

Most of all EXECUTE everything you have learned

I can go on and on, but its all up to you....

On 8/11/2018 at 2:19 PM, DueceDrives said:

There’s classes, but it all depends on what exam agency is being called for the classes I have seen for the past months now..

The 7- 10 day training is a challenge, and you should’nt be afraid If you humble yourself to learn and execute the way transit wants you to do the job. Its all on you and only you got what it takes to move forward with this job. If you believe in yourself, you will do everything possible to execute the training process.

A few keys to remember to pass is to :

Think of Safety

Forward planning

Having control over the situation and understanding why my action is being done. 

Most of all EXECUTE everything you have learned

I can go on and on, but its all up to you....

Thank you for that. Just passed my CDL B permit exam again, so I'm going to start this process. It does make me somewhat nervous. But I'll do my best to pass. What kinda does have me down, though, is realizing that MABSTOA doesn't have Brooklyn depots anymore. I really wanted to avoid Manhattan driving because of the traffic, and the Bronx is way too far. Will deal with that, if I get in, but I would like a bk depot down the line (pending a transfer, of course).

Yea just to add yr in control of yr future & just like how u passed yr CDL permit rem how u wanted it so bad do the same in training u must want somthing bad & u will execute it just do so yr told by the Supt also u must have patience U will pass. Also BK depot r mabstoa depot u can go any TA depot in BK. Y r u so scared of manhattan there is more traffic but the streets r wider than BK big up all my MTV co workers. When u r done with training 10 days u do customer service & u pick a BK depot u can get bumped out with some 1 with more seniority later down. 

Hello, I just need a few questions answered and I have a feeling this is the the right place. I was called for pre employment about 2 months ago for exam 4105 but was disqualified because i had a pending ticket. I was found guilty of 5 points last week. I was issued the ticket January 22nd of 2016 will the MTA not count the points after 36 months? And when does exam 4105 expire?

Your answers will be appreciated.

Thanks

10 hours ago, LeoSimmy said:

Yea just to add yr in control of yr future & just like how u passed yr CDL permit rem how u wanted it so bad do the same in training u must want somthing bad & u will execute it just do so yr told by the Supt also u must have patience U will pass. Also BK depot r mabstoa depot u can go any TA depot in BK. Y r u so scared of manhattan there is more traffic but the streets r wider than BK big up all my MTV co workers. When u r done with training 10 days u do customer service & u pick a BK depot u can get bumped out with some 1 with more seniority later down. 

I'm more scared of Manhattan because I'm a former cab driver. I had to endure stressful as hell Manhattan traffic for a living, 12 hours a day. When I did pickups in BK, however, it was like night and day how much less stressful the traffic situation was. Don't wanna go through that again.