MaBSTOA #4105 Hiring Process

BusOperator3319

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

Will still do that, but she was able to access and see my information before telling me. It is what it is at this point. I'm looking ahead to the other list I'm on. 

Could it be something you stated on the paperwork? Or perhaps drug test went south?

47 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

Could it be something you stated on the paperwork? Or perhaps drug test went south?

I don't do drugs. Only thing I could think of that sunk me is that in the section where it asks if you were fired from a job before, I admitted I was terminated from a 2016 job where I drove cars to be TLC commissioned because they said I wasn't parking them properly.

2 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

Don’t give up.. I’m sure theres ways in replying that letter if its really what you think it is. Only time will tell so lets see whats next.

Okay then. I've heard that its damn near impossible to contest a 1 in 3 rejection, though. 

7 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

I called Ms. Rivera, and she indeed confirmed my suspicions. The letter will apparently tell me I am no longer being considered for the position. So I basically wasted all my time and money on this process...lovely. 

My sincere condolences. I feel your pain especially after I received the same letter for Track Worker as a result of failing the 10-day Bus Operator training session back in 2014.

Again, my sincere condolences. I truly feel your pain.

4 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

I don't do drugs. Only thing I could think of that sunk me is that in the section where it asks if you were fired from a job before, I admitted I was terminated from a 2016 job where I drove cars to be TLC commissioned because they said I wasn't parking them properly.

When I filled out the paperwork for Track Worker, I admitted that I also got fired several times, and I don't think that was the contributing factor.

4 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

But anyhow, I thank everyone here who took the time to help me. 

You're welcome @MarkGuy. I also just sent you a Private Message (PM) as well...

Edited by +Young+

2 hours ago, +Young+ said:

My sincere condolences. I feel your pain especially after I received the same letter for Track Worker as a result of failing the 10-day Bus Operator training session back in 2014.

Again, my sincere condolences. I truly feel your pain.

When I filled out the paperwork for Track Worker, I admitted that I also got fired several times, and I don't think that was the contributing factor.

You're welcome @MarkGuy. I also just sent you a Private Message (PM) as well...

Thank you Young. But please hold your condolences because Ms Chestnut called me for medical tomorrow! This organization is ass backwards with organization but hey least I have a shot.

And also, thank you for posting those b/o handouts in that sticky. I'm studying them tonight.

5 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

Thank you Young. But please hold your condolences because Ms Chestnut called me for medical tomorrow! This organization is ass backwards with organization but hey least I have a shot.

And also, thank you for posting those b/o handouts in that sticky. I'm studying them tonight.

Good for you!! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Good luck!!

10 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

See!!!! I told you to just wait... lol

6 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

See!!!! I told you to just wait... lol

Yeah. I just hate how NOBODY at Livingston seems to have an idea what is and isn't happening with the exams. Btw for pretrip do you have to say the exact name of each exterior light (such as kneeling?)

5 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

Also how do you check the mirrors every 3 to 5 secs without getting distracted? Do you count literally 3-5 secs each time between checking?

Pre trip is easy. There isn’t that many lights, usually everything is by groups of selection. For example “Both Head lights and clearance lights are working and not broken” you get the idea?

The scanning mirrors and forward planning is skills that you will have to develop. Its very important to scan your mirrors and know whats going on around the bus or whats going to happen ahead before you approach the situation. Not being distracted is another skill that will have to develop especially in most case  you will have passengers coming to you asking questions while the bus is in motion. Some Supt Instructors purposely keep talking and talking or yelling while you’re In the seat operating the bus just to prepared you to what you will face everyday when you’re in that seat in passenger service.

1 hour ago, DueceDrives said:

Pre trip is easy. There isn’t that many lights, usually everything is by groups of selection. For example “Both Head lights and clearance lights are working and not broken” you get the idea?

The scanning mirrors and forward planning is skills that you will have to develop. Its very important to scan your mirrors and know whats going on around the bus or whats going to happen ahead before you approach the situation. Not being distracted is another skill that will have to develop especially in most case  you will have passengers coming to you asking questions while the bus is in motion. Some Supt Instructors purposely keep talking and talking or yelling while you’re In the seat operating the bus just to prepared you to what you will face everyday when you’re in that seat in passenger service.

I actually meant avoiding distraction in the sense of not seeing what's ahead while scanning that often. For reference, I tried scanning the mirrors once every 3 to 5 secs while driving my mom's car, but it impeded my ability to focus on the road. I, like many other drivers, just look at them subconsciously when someone comes near or when I'm about to lane shift.

2 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

I actually meant avoiding distraction in the sense of not seeing what's ahead while scanning that often. For reference, I tried scanning the mirrors once every 3 to 5 secs while driving my mom's car, but it impeded my ability to focus on the road. I, like many other drivers, just look at them subconsciously when someone comes near or when I'm about to lane shift.

It's all about figuring out a routine. You'll find something that works for you and fits into the 3-5 seconds. When you get started, you'll learn the SMITH system. You'll start scanning far and bring it back to your bus (and your mirrors) and formulate your moves.

Question here on vacation, I am on probation 2 months in and i want to know when i would be able to be eligible for vacation ? i have started to accrual some time with AVA and OTO so im wondering when i can submit vacation and if it will affect my probation meaning extended it . Looking to go away after I make one year july 2019 so it will be august but curious to how this works

You will get 2 weeks after probation finishes find out from your union rep when you have to tell them how you want your vaca bec I think before December they have to know You wanna take off next year. In August 2019 it may be a hard time to get your vaca bec all the seniors guys pick summer to take off but find out from your union what dates are available & only then you get off. 

2 hours ago, LeoSimmy said:

You will get 2 weeks after probation finishes find out from your union rep when you have to tell them how you want your vaca bec I think before December they have to know You wanna take off next year. In August 2019 it may be a hard time to get your vaca bec all the seniors guys pick summer to take off but find out from your union what dates are available & only then you get off. 

4 hours ago, futureMTA05 said:

Question here on vacation, I am on probation 2 months in and i want to know when i would be able to be eligible for vacation ? i have started to accrual some time with AVA and OTO so im wondering when i can submit vacation and if it will affect my probation meaning extended it . Looking to go away after I make one year july 2019 so it will be august but curious to how this works

Yeah you will be picking for vacation time sometime during October or November. Every depot function different when they process picks and etc. Most likely you’ll probably  be eligible for 2 - 5 vacation days. During my probation stage I was only eligible for 4 days. After probation you will be eligible for 2 weeks of vacation days. Like LeoSimmy stated all the good months such as Summer or Thanksgiving month will be gone due to seniors.

Save all your AVA’s and OTO’s, because they come in handy if you need to request a certain day off during probation. As long its an AVA or OTO you use during probation to request off You wont get extended. But if you call out sick, each day you miss you will have to make those days before you’re cleared from probation. Best advice during probation is to avoid calling out unless you’re seriously ill and doctor stated you are unable to be in service. The depot General Supt of Transportation  has ZERO tolerance for poor attendance during probationary. When I first started a few operators out of ENY was drilling into my head how the GS let go 10 probies due to attendance and reporting to work late.

14 hours ago, DueceDrives said:

Yeah you will be picking for vacation time sometime during October or November. Every depot function different when they process picks and etc. Most likely you’ll probably  be eligible for 2 - 5 vacation days. During my probation stage I was only eligible for 4 days. After probation you will be eligible for 2 weeks of vacation days. Like LeoSimmy stated all the good months such as Summer or Thanksgiving month will be gone due to seniors.

Save all your AVA’s and OTO’s, because they come in handy if you need to request a certain day off during probation. As long its an AVA or OTO you use during probation to request off You wont get extended. But if you call out sick, each day you miss you will have to make those days before you’re cleared from probation. Best advice during probation is to avoid calling out unless you’re seriously ill and doctor stated you are unable to be in service. The depot General Supt of Transportation  has ZERO tolerance for poor attendance during probationary. When I first started a few operators out of ENY was drilling into my head how the GS let go 10 probies due to attendance and reporting to work late.

thanks , thos days eligible would they include RDOS or i can combine them?