Rants and pet peeves

ttcsubwayfan

You have to at least give some credit of users of electronic cigarettes, as they are attempting to lessen the affects of harm to their health, and in turn, harm to the health of others.

Myself though when I feel like I have my preferences. E-cigs simply don't compare.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate the rich, spoiled kids of my school a lot. They have everything handed down by mommy and daddy. The flash mommy and daddy's money and act like it is theirs. They drive Mercedes and BMWs. They don't know anything about the real world. They take their education for granted. Paying $8,000 a year for school, just to get 70 averages. That wouldn't be acceptable in my family. You can go to public school for free and get 70s. Smh. None of them know what it is like to be without, they don't know what is going on outside in the world today and only care about the latest sneaker. Oh well lol only 28 days of class left with these people.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got two.

-When fans are in this hobby just to get famous or to get many likes on Facebook. Like what happen to having pride in this hobby? Now it's being used as a popularity contest? Who has the best photos of what, who's camera is the best, BS all over. That's damn well insulting to me and every single fan on this site and elsewhere that actually takes pride in the videos and pics they take. 

-The other one is when MTA employees report something rare is running around and fans brush it off as not important. Going as far as stating it's happened before. It may have happened before, but you're not going to see 50 year old trains running around for a long time. Take every opportunity you get, because once it's gone, it's gone for good.

I've got two.

-When fans are in this hobby just to get famous or to get many likes on Facebook. Like what happen to having pride in this hobby? Now it's being used as a popularity contest? Who has the best photos of what, who's camera is the best, BS all over. That's damn well insulting to me and every single fan on this site and elsewhere that actually takes pride in the videos and pics they take. 

-The other one is when MTA employees report something rare is running around and fans brush it off as not important. Going as far as stating it's happened before. It may have happened before, but you're not going to see 50 year old trains running around for a long time. Take every opportunity you get, because once it's gone, it's gone for good.

I agree with both of these but especially the last one. On that note, I remember back when they first brought out the (H) and a whole bunch of people started giving those that went out to photograph it sh*t. I mean, come on, really? It's a rare, limited opportunity to see something you usually don't, of course people are going to go photograph it. If nothing else, transit fans 50 years from now can look at the photos and learn how things worked back then.

I unfortunately had no such opportunity to photo the (H), but had I been given it, you better be sure that I would grab it, and i'd be goddamned if I let it pass me by.

I have no peeves except most politicians are corrupt but I will not be able to change the beast. People get the government they deserve.

I've been blessed in that most of the equipment at the transit museum I rode on when it was in service or saw it operate on the tracks. I've ridden the Third avenue el and the Myrtle ave el which not too many on this site can claim.  I've ridden the LIRR when they still picked up milk with the baggage cars in cans for delivery.to the dairy.  I can remember the thrill of acceleration of a GG-1 pulling a string of cars out of a station when all 8000hp kicked in.

People who automatically don't want to watch a movie, tv show, etc because it's popular. Because you know, everything popular must suck, right?

I've met a variety of people on the internet who said that they were put off of watching Disney's "Frozen" because it's overhyped on the internet. OK, if that's not your sort of movie, fine, I get that, but if it's something you otherwise would have watched, you're an idiot.

Bloody hipsters <_<

People who automatically don't want to watch a movie, tv show, etc because it's popular. Because you know, everything popular must suck, right?

I've met a variety of people on the internet who said that they were put off of watching Disney's "Frozen" because it's overhyped on the internet. OK, if that's not your sort of movie, fine, I get that, but if it's something you otherwise would have watched, you're an idiot.

Bloody hipsters <_<

The problem is the hyping as many times it covers pap as being good. So they wait to see if their peers or comrades say it was good. before watching.  Far too many times something is pushed as the latest and greatest  in a false buildup.which works out as a bust. So people get burnt and are twice shy on the next blast. 

While I can understand the possibility that it may not be nearly as good as everyone says it is, can that actually be used as a justification to skip out on something you may otherwise be interested in seeing? As the saying goes "You won't know until you try", so either they have a highly accurate crystal ball that accurately tell them what their reaction will be upon seeing the movie, or they're just guessing - which can be highly inaccurate. Trailers (and people's opinions) are not always an accurate representation of the reality, and it goes both ways - I've hated movies everyone loved and loved movies everyone hated. Similarly, movies with trailers that made them seem good turned to be complete crock - and the opposite has happened too.

Ultimately, there's no way of knowing whether or not it's any good until you actually see it, no? If it's as good as everyone says it is - terrific. If not, brush it off, and remember that just because what you just saw was the biggest load of crap ever doesn't mean that the next overhyped movie will be the same.

While I can understand the possibility that it may not be nearly as good as everyone says it is, can that actually be used as a justification to skip out on something you may otherwise be interested in seeing? As the saying goes "You won't know until you try", so either they have a highly accurate crystal ball that accurately tell them what their reaction will be upon seeing the movie, or they're just guessing - which can be highly inaccurate. Trailers (and people's opinions) are not always an accurate representation of the reality, and it goes both ways - I've hated movies everyone loved and loved movies everyone hated. Similarly, movies with trailers that made them seem good turned to be complete crock - and the opposite has happened too.

Ultimately, there's no way of knowing whether or not it's any good until you actually see it, no? If it's as good as everyone says it is - terrific. If not, brush it off, and remember that just because what you just saw was the biggest load of crap ever doesn't mean that the next overhyped movie will be the same.

Easy just wait a few weeks.  If the picture is a clunker then the box office drops off quickly and you know its a dud.  

Easy just wait a few weeks.  If the picture is a clunker then the box office drops off quickly and you know its a dud.  

That is fair. I myself also don't see a movie right after it opens, not so much due to the fear of it sucking but rather due to a desire to avoid crowds.

But to use the example from my initial post (Frozen), it's become one of the highest grossing films, and has had universal acclaim, not just from random Jo-schmos on the internet, but a variety of critics. Can't hurt to see what all the hype is about, right? If it sucks, you can look at it this way... you could be spending your time in a much worse way. If nothing else, the fact that you have seen the movie and now what it's about means that if there's a conversation about it among your friends or coworkers, you can interject with your own thoughts on the movie (this was good, but this could have been done better, or I found this totally unnecessary), and a nice exchange of opinions ensues.

This is where the hipster part comes in. The movie is talked about a lot on various internet communities, and you have a bunch of hipsters who say that they weren't going to bother seeing the movie because it's so hyped up. Apparently this makes them superior in some way. If they complained about the movie after the fact, that's one thing, but how on earth can they know whether or not they'll like it before hand? I don't watch action movies because they're not my forte, but if I became interested in the genre, I'd actually want to watch the popular movies instead of saying "Oh, this is popular, it must be garbage", which is essentially what the argument boils down to.

But I digress. While on the topic of movies, I also hate it when people look down on others because they happen to enjoy animated movies. A good movie is a good movie, why should I stop enjoying one once I reach a certain age because it's animated? One's movie related opinions have nothing to do with whether or not they are pathetic or not (well... except for those who think that the little "BASED ON A TRUE STORY" blurb at the beginning of horror movies actually means that it's a true story and that they will be destroyed by demons).

WTF TimeWarner...they give us a new modem which has built in wifi and they tell us if we want to turn on the wifi and not need our own router we have to pay an extra $10 a month because we have the standard plan. I mean you're giving us the modem with the technology built in, why charge for a small feature like that? I'm actually looking forward to Comcast buying them out now, I know plenty of people that have Comcast in NJ and FL and they give you a modem with built in wifi and they don't charge you for it. See Comcast knew what they were doing with that modem giving Fios a good competing modem and like Fios not charging you extra for it, TWC is just really...well dumb with this one. But we're not gonna switch (even though having to plug in a router when completely unnecessary sucks), we've always been in that rare crowd that doesn't hate TWC with all our guts and we've never had big issues with them, just hope Comcast lets us turn on the wifi for free.

You want a rant or pet peeve? Look what happened on the R32 (R) yesterday. Not much else needs to be said. I never taught in a million years transit fans would get the attention of the MTA like that. The behavior of most of the fans on that train is best described as animals in a zoo.

You want a rant or pet peeve? Look what happened on the R32 (R) yesterday. Not much else needs to be said. I never taught in a million years transit fans would get the attention of the MTA like that. The behavior of most of the fans on that train is best described as animals in a zoo.

Crazy shit.

Its happened before where someone threatened me and another person on a train while fanning last year. What happened next was not pretty to say the least I wont repeat it here. And I have witnesses. I think what I am trying to say is that I dont play games. Not a good idea to piss me off. Especially if you are in my face. Thats all I really have to say.

Archived